Al Davis' letter to Lane Kiffin- Sept. 12, 2008

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 7, 2002
Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:14 am EDT

Kiffin will hold his tongue ... for now

That Lane Kiffin news conference, where the fired Oakland Raiders coach was expected to respond to the allegations made by team owner Al Davis, won't happen Wednesday. And might not happen for a while.

The coach's agent, Gary Uberstine, said Wednesday that Kiffin would talk to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell before he speaks again with the media. Goodell may end up being the mediator between the Raiders and Kiffin because Davis made it clear when he announced Kiffin's firing that he didn't plan to pay the coach the remaining $3.5 million on his contract.

"When Lane initially thought it would be appropriate to address the fans and the situation it was before Mr. Davis gave his press conference," Uberstine said. "In light of Mr. Davis' statements, we advised Coach Kiffin to cancel the intended press conference and instead refute the allegations specifically in a more appropriate venue, which would likely be, among other things, a grievance with Commissioner Goodell."

Davis seemed to anticipate Tuesday that his decision to withhold pay would be challenged. Asked if his stance would hold up, he responded, "I wouldn't do it unless I was going to prevail."

Source: Los Angeles Times

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Ha... your boy Lane Kiffin is punking out. Why isn't he running his mouth now?

"When Lane initially thought it would be appropriate to address the fans and the situation it was before Mr. Davis gave his press conference," Uberstine said."

That quote says it all right there!

Mr. Davis owned him and shut him up. Kiffin can still hold a press conference if he wanted to, he just doesn't have to answer certain questions. His attorney could advise him on what questions to answer and what not to answer. Now he's going to go cry to the commisioner. I smell, sniff, sniff... you know da rest.

Nov 7, 2002
He is going threw the proper channels to try and get his paper its not that Al Davis owned him his just being smart about it as he has filed a grievance against Davis so he just cant go running his mouth in the media. Its called being smart tony you should try it sometime and with 3.5 million on the line I wouldnt go running my mouth to the media untill I knew it wouldnt cost me my money.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
You should try it sometime sucka... he already blew it by running his mouth like a lil hoe to the media. Al gave him a warning to keep cool... If he would have just kept his mouth shut and just coached he would have gotten his money. He violated his contract period!! Now that all his accusations have been addressed, he's keeping a tight lip in hopes of getting his scratch. If he ends up getting his scratch then good for him, if not then hopefully he'll learn to never bite the hands that feeds him!

Mar 16, 2005
You should try it sometime sucka... he already blew it by running his mouth like a lil hoe to the media. Al gave him a warning to keep cool... If he would have just kept his mouth shut and just coached he would have gotten his money. He violated his contract period!! Now that all his accusations have been addressed, he's keeping a tight lip in hopes of getting his scratch. If he ends up getting his scratch then good for him, if not then hopefully he'll learn to never bite the hands that feeds him!

^^^ CO-SIGN

IF HE WAS PLAYING SMART HE WOULD'VE KEPT HIS MOUTH SHUT BEFORE IT GOT THIS FAR. ON THAT INTERVIEW ON ESPN I THINK I SAW TEARS IN KIFFINS EYES
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?categoryId=null&brand=null&videoId=3618948&n8pe6c=2
since when has it been a violation of contract to complain about your employeer???

IT'S NOT! but Al thinks it is so thats why he is mad.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
IMO KIFFIN WENT ABOUT THINGS IN THE WRONG WAY. RATHER THAN ATTACKING AL THROUGH THE MEDIA INDIRECTLY, HE SHOULD HAVE WENT TO AL AND VOICED HIS ISSUES. THIS WAS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK. AL IS BIG ON LOYALTY AND KIFFIN COMMITTED A MAJOR SIN IN AL’S EYES BY PURSUING THE JOB AT ARKANSAS LAST SEASON. HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH AL WAS STRAINED EVER SINCE THEN, AND THAT IS KIFFIN’S FAULT AND KIFFIN’S ONLY.

I THINK AFTER KIFFIN DID THAT HE FELT ASHAMED AND PROBABLY ASSUMED THAT AL ALLREADY HATED HIM AND WAS GOING TO FIRE HIM. HE WAS WRONG. AL FELT BETRAYED BUT WAS WILLING TO PUT HIS FEELINGS ASIDE IN AN ATEMPT TO WORK IT OUT.

KIFFIN MADE THE DECISION FOR AL. HE DIDN’T WANT TO COACH HERE ANY LONGER BUT HE WASN’T GOING TO QUIT AND FORFIT HIS MONEY. HE FORCED AL’S HAND BY ATTACKING THE ORGANIZATION THROUGH THE MEDIA.
This is why Al doesn't want to pay.... understand now fellaz?

Why should Al pay him the remaining 3.5 million if Kiffin didn't want to be here anymore? That money was going to be paid to him to coach the Raiders period. We heard Kiffin say over and over "I am not going to quit". He knew if he quit he wasn't going to get paid. He forced Al to fire him and now wants to get his scratch.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Again lies according to who??? Al? hahahahaha
Come on now scary... the lies about Kiffin not being involved in the defensive play calling, the lies about Al and him not communicating or talking, the lies about Al and Rob Ryan meeting weekly to go over the defenses. This is going to get very interesting. I don't think he'll get his scratch but if he does then more power to him.

Apr 25, 2002
Come on now scary... the lies about Kiffin not being involved in the defensive play calling, the lies about Al and him not communicating or talking, the lies about Al and Rob Ryan meeting weekly to go over the defenses. This is going to get very interesting. I don't think he'll get his scratch but if he does then more power to him.
No one here including you knows exactly what was a lie and what wasn't..

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Thats not illegal OR violation a contract!

FUCK I swear!
Check game this is from the letter:

Over the past months, you have made a number of public statements that were highly critical of, and designed to embarrass and discredit, this organization, its players and its coaches. I left you alone during training camp in hopes that you would cease your immature and destructive campaign.

However, you continue to make public statements that are critical of the organization, its players as whole as well as individual players. Such statements constitute conduct detrimental to the Raiders and I will no longer stand silently by while you continue to hurt this organization.

Further, your contract is quite clear that you work "subject to the direction and supervision of the General Partner" and that the General Partner has "the exclusive right to do all things, which in its sole discretion are necessary to maintain and improve the Club, the football organization and their activities."

This letter constitutes notice that if you further violate any term of your contract, in any manner whatsoever, you will be terminated for cause. I trust that this will not occur.

Mar 16, 2005
Check game this is from the letter:

Over the past months, you have made a number of public statements that were highly critical of, and designed to embarrass and discredit, this organization, its players and its coaches. I left you alone during training camp in hopes that you would cease your immature and destructive campaign.

However, you continue to make public statements that are critical of the organization, its players as whole as well as individual players. Such statements constitute conduct detrimental to the Raiders and I will no longer stand silently by while you continue to hurt this organization.

Further, your contract is quite clear that you work "subject to the direction and supervision of the General Partner" and that the General Partner has "the exclusive right to do all things, which in its sole discretion are necessary to maintain and improve the Club, the football organization and their activities."

This letter constitutes notice that if you further violate any term of your contract, in any manner whatsoever, you will be terminated for cause. I trust that this will not occur.
read between the fucking lines! he (al) was trying to cover himself from trying to not have to pay him, but he will lose like he has before.

Apr 25, 2002
read between the fucking lines! he (al) was trying to cover himself from trying to not have to pay him, but he will lose like he has before.
Exactly..
Why are you trying to argue about this Tony? If Al has done this same thing in the past and lost in court how do you think this is any different?

Apr 17, 2003
YEAH READ BETWEEN THE LINES IF YOU DON'T DO WHAT AL SAYS YOU WILL BE FIRED ....
SCARY1 DO US ALL FAVOR AND SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET OFF KIFFINS AND AL'S DICK