Al Davis' letter to Lane Kiffin- Sept. 12, 2008

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
"Kiffin’s North offense moved the ball to the South’s 14-yard line with 2:55 remaining, but instead of calling on Serna to make it a nine-point advantage, Kiffin called for a Justin Forsett rushing attempt on 4th-and-1. He was stoned by Hampton DE Kendall Langford, turning the ball back over to the South."

^^^^^^^Sounds familiar Raider fans?

Mar 16, 2005
"Kiffin’s North offense moved the ball to the South’s 14-yard line with 2:55 remaining, but instead of calling on Serna to make it a nine-point advantage, Kiffin called for a Justin Forsett rushing attempt on 4th-and-1. He was stoned by Hampton DE Kendall Langford, turning the ball back over to the South."

^^^^^^^Sounds familiar Raider fans?
it does actually, an offense line that cant get good blocks when it matters most!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
why doesn't ANY coach do that when they have another deal in place before end of previous season??? come on tony.

Yeah, that was very professional of him (sarcastic). To me that looked disloyal to be honest.... You're not sporting no team gear or apparell and you're negotiating to become another team's head coach? He was supposed to be representing the Raiders because he was head coach of the Raiders. Looks like Kiffin screwed himself. Al tried to keep it cool and work things out.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Actually I was saying that a run on 4th and 1 is predictable and conservative. Kicking a field goal and going up by 9 (two possessions) is not conservative. That is being smart and knowing how to manage a football game. That's part of the reason he's out of a job right now.

Aug 9, 2006
Because I am not a "new" Raider fan... man I am really beginning to think that something is wrong with you. I don't like to insult folks (unless I am insulted first) but man you're forcing me to (like Lane forced Al to fire him). Come on now mooreblock I know you're smarter than what you're portraying on here.
your not......? i mean really.....? 3-4 years and now your a OG VET raider fan.....uuhhh no

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
Tony Dont Get Mad If You Wanna See Me Throw Me A Spot? Where You Wanna See ME At Be At The Jets Game? Wear Your Arron Brooks Jersery So I Know Its You

Jun 1, 2002
You still don't understand why he did the cancellation?

It's called professionalism, not everything is street you know?

WRONG.

IT'S CALLED LISTENING TO HIS AGENT/ATTORNEY AND PREPARING FOR LITIGATION.

COME ON SCARY YOU'RE SMARTER THAN THIS.

ALSO ANYTHING YOU SAY ABOUT AL DAVIS WILL BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT BY EVERYONE ON HERE. YOU'RE LOYAL TO MIKE SHANNAHAN FOR CHRIST'S SAKE OF COURSE YOU HATE AL DAVIS. DAVIS SHIT ON SHANNAHAN. SHANNAHAN WILL NEVER SEE A RED CENT OF THAT MONEY.

LEAVE THE AL BASHING TO RAIDERS FANS. WE HATE HIM FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY HE'S RUINING OUR TEAM.

Oct 8, 2002
www.408inc.com
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell was caught off-guard by a claim by owner Al Davis earlier this week that former head coach Lane Kiffin was against drafting Russell last year.

Russell, the first overall pick in 2007, felt he had a strong relationship with Kiffin and said the two often joked with one another. They worked together closely during the offseason and into training camp, and would routinely exchange text messages after games.

But Davis, the Raiders' 79-year-old owner, accused Kiffin of not wanting to draft Russell, a charge Russell found surprising.

"It just kind of came out of nowhere," Russell said Thursday. "I really don't think myself or coach Kiffin or anybody else were looking for that to come out that way."

Davis made the claim during a lengthy news conference Tuesday when the Raiders announced the firing of Kiffin "for cause," and promoted his replacement, offensive line coach Tom Cable.

In his first meeting with reporters in more than a year, Davis said the decision to fire Kiffin was based more on the former coach's criticisms of the franchise than it was Oakland's 1-3 record. Davis also questioned some of Kiffin's coaching decisions and claimed Kiffin objected to drafting Russell.

"Every day it was different, that's the thing," Davis said. "He didn't want Russell. At one time he wanted Brady Quinn. At one time he wanted Calvin Johnson. At one time (he wanted) to trade (the pick)."

Oakland used the first pick on Russell, who missed offseason workouts and training camp during his rookie season while locked in contract negotiations with the team. He eventually signed a $61 million contract, but didn't play until late in the season and started the finale.

Russell was given the starting job this past offseason and worked with Kiffin, offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo trying to get up to speed with the offensive playbook.
The relationship between Russell and Kiffin seemed strong enough. At one point in the offseason Kiffin telephoned Russell to give the young quarterback a hard time when reports circulated that Russell's weight had ballooned to 300 pounds.
Through it all, Russell saw no indication from Kiffin that he wasn't wanted.

"Not at all," Russell said. "We always talked, joked around. Other than that, it wasn't anything like that."

Russell last received a text message from Kiffin on Tuesday, shortly after the Raiders announced their coaching change. He is still unsure which side to believe.

"I don't know, I really don't," Russell said. "It really doesn't matter right now. It was said. Can't do anything about it. It's done. You just move on. Like I said, if it was to be true, it would just give me fuel to keep on going."

Russell did not watch the televised news conference announcing Kiffin's firing and acknowledged he was disappointed by the move. He also defended Kiffin's decision to bring him along slowly as a quarterback, a move that has been criticized as the Raiders got off to a slow start this year.

"Hey, with the mistakes I made in the Jacksonville game (last season), if I had gotten out there early, at the beginning of the season, things would have been flying a little faster for me and who's to say, I might have did a lot worse," Russell said. "I appreciate his time sitting me down. I learned a lot from it, and once I got out there, everything kind of slowed down for me.

"I appreciate the opportunity he gave me to play in the National Football League. I wish for him to go out and get him a job, because he's a good guy, a good coach. I don't look for him to sit around long; he should be able to get a job somewhere."

The Raiders have a bye this week and don't play again until a road game at New Orleans on Oct. 12. That gives Cable and Oakland's players a little time to adjust to one another.

"He's an offensive line coach, and with the running game that we have, I'm pretty sure he likes that," Russell said. "But he did say we are going to try and be pretty equal as far as running and throwing the ball. The first day we came in, it was sort of like a shock when we went out to practice, coach Kiffin not being there. But I'm pretty sure guys will react to Coach Cable, since he's been around for a while. It's not hard to get used to a new guy."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8634392/Russell-defends-relationship-with-Kiffin

russell defends kiffin

Nov 7, 2002
A lot of the players defend Kiffin or at least say only good things about the guy. He was a players coach and they were behind him. Most owner would see that as a good thing. A young coach a young team could have built something around that but no what if's in football he got fired by the grandmother and we have to start all over for the 5th time in six years. Can only hope that Cable we do a good job as headcoach cuz I couldnt stand another 4 - 12 season.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
This is cut and pasted from Peter King of CNN:

6. Last thing: I do not like that Kiffin flirted with Arkansas last December, with three games left in the 2007 season, the same way it's detestable that Bobby Petrino walked out on Atlanta and Nick Saban jilted Miami. When you take a coaching job, there's no defense for actively trying to find an escape hatch during the season.

And you can be sure when an Arkansas booster called Al Davis in early December last year, trying to get him to let Kiffin out of his contract to coach the Razorbacks, that Kiffin was a dead man walking. Why Al didn't fire him in the offseason, I have no idea.

One of my theories on the ill-fated Kiffin Era is this: He entered the job knowing if it didn't work out, he'd collect $6 million and still be young enough and highly regarded enough to get a primo college job. Except for the money part of it, he's got all that going for him.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
When thinking of kiffins tenure here and how I felt he was treated unfairly. He did good he did bad. But he was looking for a job during the season(sumthing I always forget) that's bullshit.. He fucked himself after that for sure. He shouldn't get all the money...

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
No, he shouldn't of been looking for another job...unless he felt he was going to be out. I could understand that; doesn't mean it's right. But, he wasn't fired for that, and Al knew about it...so why punish him after the fact? I don't really give a shit, now, but I say give Kiffen the money; Al's fucked so many people in the business, let him bend over for once. LOL