Al Davis' letter to Lane Kiffin- Sept. 12, 2008

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 2, 2003
@Tony...

ur an idiot...just stop saying ur a raider fan....

regardless of what AD says...its about the players...

they genuinely liked him...and were playing hard 4 him..

although the raiders r 1-3....they have looked the best since the past 5 or so years..

@ solitary 1...

KIFFIN TRIED TO VOICE HIS OPINION...al davis didn't give a shit about what he wanted....

al davis is SIMPLY the problem...

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Good post S1... now that's coming from a real cat period, not just a Raider fan who claims he's been through it all (been a fan for x-amount of years, tatts on the back, been a fan since 5 years old) and blah blah blah. Way to comment on this situation without having a biased view point!
If you're going to address something or someone, be a man and do it.

You're the only dillusional idiot on here that can't seem to comprehend that this is a trend of Al Davis'. This isn't anything new. He's done things similar to this in the past. He isn't content on just being an owner; he wants to, no, he needs to, be a GM, scout, and coach. He doesn't want a head coach; he wants a 'Yes-Man'...he wants someone in the position that's going to make him look good, so he can take the credit, but when things aren't great, he'll leave you high and dry and fire you.

If this was an isolated incident, I'd probably be behind Al. He once was a great owner, a great mind, a great member of the NFL. Now, other owners hate him, ex-players hate him, ex-coaches hate him, fans hate him...why is it that so many people hate the guy? I'll tell you why. As a fan of an NFL franchise, you want to have a winning team. You want to be able to brag and boast about your team, shit talk to someone about their team. You want to feel proud to wear a jersey or hat of that team. But as a Raiders fan, you can't. Oh sure, we could for 1 week this season, after the Chiefs game. But with the product that HE put on the field, that HE has on the sideline, we're not fully equipped to be contenders. Our offensive line needs addressing, we have no wide recievers, and we could use a veteran QB to come in and guide and mentor Jamarcus. Instead, let's give Javon Walker Randy Moss money, and pay Deangelo Hall like he's a proven all-pro talent. Throw Jamarcus to the wolves. You bitch and complain and cry about Kiffen's ''prevent offense''...to 'prevent' something means that you are keeping it from happening...Jamarcus cannot make anything happen with linemen and ends and linebackers running freely in the backfield after him, and recievers who are dropping balls like they're afraid of them. You expect Lane to have confidence in him, but that's impossible since he hasn't been able to prove anything yet. We have a solid running game; that's our offense. We don't have a passing game. So why should we force it? Why should we force the issue? We need to establish the passing game, but we can't expect Jamarcus to throw the ball 40 times a game to recievers who aren't open while he's on the run. He'll have 4-5 picks a game.

But that's right, TONY, you're the expert who'll demolish me on Madden, who's schooling chumps on a daily, who's the GURU (sorry, Czar lol!) @ football. You know the history. You're the only one who knows what's best for the team, and EVERYONE else is wrong. How could WE know anything? We're just fans; you're the expert.

It's one thing to be a fan of a team, TONY; it's another thing to have a love and passion for your team. You can put up any stats or articles or links you want, but being a fan for 2 years after following Aaron Brooks of all people to the Raiders, and only being stuck on the team because Aaron couldn't find work elsewhere, I think you should look into the history of Al Davis' business dealings and look at his track record, and you'll see a pattern of lies, cheating, and disloyalty. Al wants everyone to be loyal to him, but he's the most disloyal and dishonest owner in the league.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
that Kirk Morrison interview it links to sums it all up

he said the all wanted to play for Lane, Lane changed the culture of the team, and he says now it's tough because its almost like they have to start over again

fuck Al if he doesn't get along with Lane... Al doesn't get along with hardly anybody unless they suck his fuckin dick

He had a good relationship with the players and had good chemistry going on in the locker room... Lane didn't fuck that chemistry up... Al did!

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Ewwwww... then who's are you going to suck? That doesn't sound right man... Save that kind of talk for the Niner threads. You, Chree, and Impalas need to go to the sista's side of the siccness and create threads about that. That kind of talk doesn't belong in Raider threads!
YOU don't belong in Raiders threads, but since no one cares to post about the Saints or Aaron Brooks, I guess you're stuck here.

Tony said:
Why when the dude didn't want to be here? He did everything in his power to get canned. Peep S1's post about Kiffin and what he said about him.
If Lane didn't want to be here, it was because of the bullshit Al does with coaches. He wanted some control over the team. What coach wouldn't? What coach doesn't want to have the final say on the field? He's the HEAD COACH for a reason.

I read Solitary's post, and agree, to the most part. But AL is the cancer of the Raiders; I just wish he'd die of it sooner than later.

Aug 9, 2006
Asomuga said:
"It definitely wasn't a split locker room. I think pretty much the majority of the locker room wanted Lane there. A lot of the guys really appreciated what Lane did when he came in, and tried to change the culture; the losing culture that we've had that past few years. Guys were really on board with him."
:hurt::hurt:

what do you have to say about that Tony....no doubt the best player on the whole team....the leader of the defense and probally the face of the franchise....

Apr 25, 2002
heres what Sapp has to say from Jerry Mac's blog...
Sapp sounds off

Former Raiders defensive tackle Warren Sapp held nothing back in assessing the Raiders situation in his role as an analyst on Showtime’s Inside the NFL.

“I remember the first two weeks I was there, we played a pre-season game. Somebody came up one time and said, ‘We’re going deep right here, dog.’ I said, how do you know? He said, ‘The phone just rang.’

“All the preparation that goes into a week of work is there, the practicing that you have to put in order to do these things, sometimes he (Al Davis) messed with that part of it and that’s what kills you.”

On players signing on to play with the Raiders

Sapp: Nobody tells you how bad it is. I remember seeing Trace Armstrong after spending my four years there. I wanted to choke the life out of him. I wanted to kill him . . . and then Phillip Buchanon was there. I said, Phil, why didn’t you tell me this? I said, you all did wrong. Because any person that calls me on the telephone, (I tell them) do not go anywhere near Oakland.

On Lane Kiffin being fired, fair or unfair

Sapp: Way unfairly. He came in there with a change of mentality. The whole system. He changed how the locker room looked because it was going to take that kind of overhaul for Oakland to become the proud franchise we all knew it was.

On Al Davis

Sapp: He is the common equation. You take him out, put him at home watching film or whatever he is doing – you have a functioning football organization. But once he comes over the top, he goes and starts moving it around . . .

“Al Davis knows football – it’s just ‘60s and ‘70s football. That’s what it is. He’s thinking that Cliff Branch is outside and (Jim) Plunkett is dropping back and you can throw it 80 yards down the field – deep ball, deep ball, deep ball.”
and Gannon....

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, October 1st, 2008 at 1:25 pm in Oakland Raiders
42 Comments »

We can assume Rich Gannon won’t be brought back to the organization any time soon in any capacity. A transcript of an interview with Gannon on Sirius Satellite Radio:

Q: Your immediate reaction when you heard the news about Lane Kiffin being fired?”

Gannon: I wasn’t surprised at all. We had done the Raiders and Chiefs in week 2 and I got a chance to talk to Lane privately. I know how difficult it has been and how he was struggling with the whole situation. From a guy that has been in the organization, that’s been around it, I know just how difficult a place it can be to work. And they have problems, there’s no question. It’s an organization that is going through a very difficult period. It’s an organization, in my opinion, that is dysfunctional. They have a lot of issues. This is not something that I haven’t discussed publicly and privately before with the owner. I’ve talked to Mr. Davis at great length about our philosophical difference of opinion. I believe that you need to have discipline, structure, a system in place, organization. He is a guy that is not a big believer in having too many rules and that’s one of the reasons why that team, in my opinion, hasn’t had any real leadership and hasn’t had any real direction.”

Q: Do you think it makes it hard for a coach to come in there because of the fact that Al has a pretty good knowledge of football and wants to offer suggestions quite a bit of the time?

Gannon: “I always said it’s not a tough place to work, it’s an impossible place to work. I left there on a high note. I went to four straight Pro Bowls, was league MVP. I don’t have any bad feelings about the place. I just know how difficult it was for me and I just look at the people that have left. Mike Shanahan leaves and wins two Super Bowls. Jon Gruden leaves and wins a Super Bowl. Norv Turner is having success in San Diego. To let people like that leave, particularly a guy like Jon Gruden who really worked and really threw every ounce of energy he had into the place. To let him leave the way he did was just a mistake. And what happened is, in my opinion - people say, ‘Why have they had the big fall-off since the Super Bowl and stuff?’ – I think that it’s about six people who have left the organization that really were the heart and soul of the whole group and really kept it going. Guys like Jon Gruden, Bruce Allen, the general manager, Bill Callahan, who was our offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. You lost quality people and some players and they’ve never been able to recover.

Q: What about Tom Cable?

Gannon: This guy, Tom Cable, the poor guy, does that he think he is more equipped and better prepared than his predecessors? In other words, if Gruden couldn’t make it there and Bill Callahan couldn’t make it there and then if Norv Turner couldn’t make it there and then Art Shell couldn’t make it there and then Lane Kiffin couldn’t make it there, why does he think, all of a sudden, he’s going to make it there? I don’t understand.

Meanwhile, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan trotted out a line at his press conference he’s probably been saving for weeks. Davis reiterated his claim Tuesday that the Broncos two Super Bowl wins were tainted because they were found guilty of salary cap violations.

“I’ll be honest with you, I was a little disappointed. When you take a look at it, I was there 582 days. Lane Kiffin was there 616 days. So what it really means is that (Raiders owner) Al Davis liked Lane more than he liked me. I really don’t think it’s fair. I won three more games and he got 34 more days of work. It just doesn’t seem right.”

Soak game Tony, I know you only believe what you want but its time to step into reality for once.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I don't care what you hoes have to say! You suckaz can keep bringing up Brooks/Saints all you want but I am Raider fan at the end of the day. Fake fan, bandwagon fan, etc.... I am still a fan you hoes! I am my own man and I do what I feel. If you don't like it well then screw you! You squarez ain't Al Davis and the Raiders ain't yo team.

Now back to the subject. It is what it is... seems like Kiffin wanted more than just head coaching duties. Just look at what the contract said when he signed it "Further, your contract is quite clear that you work "subject to the direction and supervision of the General Partner" and that the General Partner has "the exclusive right to do all things, which in its sole discretion are necessary to maintain and improve the Club, the football organization and their activities." Did you all not see this? Kiffin signed the contract!

Kiffin wanted to run that cover-2 defense and look what happened on Monday night when Denver lit us up but then he lies and blames Rob Ryan and Al and makes them the fall guys. Only a punk would do that! We don't have the personnel to run a cover-2 scheme. Kiffin had a hand in bringing in free agents (Javon Walker, D.Hall) and then talks about how he doesn't have the talent to win... WTF? Kiffin was part of the recruiting process... I guess y'all didn't read the letter or you just don't believe what Al is saying. What NFL coaches you know only throws the ball 3 times in one half of football, goes for 70+ yard field goals and leaves timeouts on the clock?

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
WELL AT THE END OF THE SEASON, WE'LL SEE IF THE FIRING OF LANE KIFFIN REALLY HAD SOME SIGNIFICANT DIFFRENCE TO HELP THE TEAM.
IN ALL HONESTY RAIDER FANS, BE READY FOR SOME MORE SHITTY SEASONS.
CAUSE I DONT THINK THIS BASTARD IS GOING TO DIE ANYTIME SOON.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
heres what Sapp has to say from Jerry Mac's blog...

and Gannon....

Soak game Tony, I know you only believe what you want but its time to step into reality for once.
Wow... they're doggin the old guy and he gave them a chance when everyone thought they were washed up. Gannon was a career back-up with K.C. and Minnesota. Sapp got ousted from TB from John Gruden for "Booger McFarland"! LOL...

I am not saying Al is an angel but this bashing is crazy. Yes he made mistakes but what owner hasn't?

Aug 9, 2006
I don't care what you hoes have to say! You suckaz can keep bringing up Brooks/Saints all you want but I am Raider fan at the end of the day. Fake fan, bandwagon fan, etc.... I am still a fan you hoes! I am my own man and I do what I feel. If you don't like it well then screw you! You squarez ain't Al Davis and the Raiders ain't yo team.

Now back to the subject. It is what it is... seems like Kiffin wanted more than just head coaching duties. Just look at what the contract said when he signed it "Further, your contract is quite clear that you work "subject to the direction and supervision of the General Partner" and that the General Partner has "the exclusive right to do all things, which in its sole discretion are necessary to maintain and improve the Club, the football organization and their activities." Did you all not see this? Kiffin signed the contract!

Kiffin wanted to run that cover-2 defense and look what happened on Monday night when Denver lit us up but then he lies and blames Rob Ryan and Al and makes them the fall guys. Only a punk would do that! We don't have the personnel to run a cover-2 scheme. Kiffin had a hand in bringing in free agents (Javon Walker, D.Hall) and then talks about how he doesn't have the talent to win... WTF? Kiffin was part of the recruiting process... I guess y'all didn't read the letter or you just don't believe what Al is saying. What NFL coaches you know only throws the ball 3 times in one half of football, goes for 70+ yard field goals and leaves timeouts on the clock?
When you have the players on the coaches side you shouldnt have a arguement...

your pretty blind to the state of the raiders franchise....

they are NO where near how good you seem to think they are...

is that a problem with you? you cant accept the fact that the raiders are just not that good of a football team?...

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002

what do you have to say about that Tony....no doubt the best player on the whole team....the leader of the defense and probally the face of the franchise....

Well he did say the "majority" so there were players who weren't feeling Kiffin. Asomugha is a classy professional so of course he's not going to say anything bad about Kiffin, even if he wanted to.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
When you have the players on the coaches side you shouldnt have a arguement...

your pretty blind to the state of the raiders franchise....

they are NO where near how good you seem to think they are...

is that a problem with you? you cant accept the fact that the raiders are just not that good of a football team?...
To be honest, I agree with Al Davis. I think the Raiders are good football team right now and I believe they can compete with any team in the league. All it's going to take is a confident head coach who believes in this team. "The Raiders are just not that good of a football team" is your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't agree with you though.