HAVING COMPUTER ISSUES...VIRUSES,SPYWARE, ETC...INFO HERE

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Alright heres the deal. My friend came by to hook up my external with a bunch of movies and games and shit. He also put a couple other things on my computer to help me out. Nothing he put on was supposed to effect any other softward, from what he said.

Now though everytime I enter a folder with a downloaded movie, or ripped movie it gives me this message that says something about Microsoft corruption. It says it's coming from "data execution prevention" something from windows apparently. Well when the message comes up it forces me to close where ever the file is. Like I downloaded a movie from the movies thread and for some reason I downloaded it to "my music" well I extracted the file and next time I tried to go in to my music it just forced me to close it. I had to right click on my music do a search for what the file was called then delete it. Then I tried to go in my recycle bin to see what the fuck and it kicked me out of there to. I had to empty my recycle bin in order to get rid of this fucking thing.

Anyway I'm sure my setting got fucked with or something. But does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
satherp5 said:
Alright heres the deal. My friend came by to hook up my external with a bunch of movies and games and shit. He also put a couple other things on my computer to help me out. Nothing he put on was supposed to effect any other softward, from what he said.

Now though everytime I enter a folder with a downloaded movie, or ripped movie it gives me this message that says something about Microsoft corruption. It says it's coming from "data execution prevention" something from windows apparently. Well when the message comes up it forces me to close where ever the file is. Like I downloaded a movie from the movies thread and for some reason I downloaded it to "my music" well I extracted the file and next time I tried to go in to my music it just forced me to close it. I had to right click on my music do a search for what the file was called then delete it. Then I tried to go in my recycle bin to see what the fuck and it kicked me out of there to. I had to empty my recycle bin in order to get rid of this fucking thing.

Anyway I'm sure my setting got fucked with or something. But does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be much appreciated.
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under the Startup and Recovery field.
3. In the System startup field, click Edit. The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.
4. Look for /noexecute=, next to it by default should be optin.

Does yours say something different?

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
oops fucked something up apparently. Anyways heres what the notepad says:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home

On the top of the startup and recovery page under something called "default operating system:" it says "microsoft windows xp home edition /fastdetect /usepmtimer / noexecute then it cuts off and I can't scoll over to read the rest.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under the Performance field.
3. Click the Data Execution Prevention Tab.
4. Make sure Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only is marked.

Real media player and Real jukebox are also known to cause this, if he installed those, uninstall them.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Still doing it, I even restarted my computer. Have any other ideas there Tony? Thanks for your help though.

Oh and the only programs my buddy installed were:

Pov-Ray
TI-Connect
Cucusoft iPod Movie/Video Converter
Max DVD To AVI Converter
PQ DVD to iPod Converter (remote only)
WinRAR archiver
and a couple games

Don't know if any of those could of fucked my shit up but it's driving me fucking insane.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
First:
Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

Second:

Please create a list of programs that can be removed using Add/Remove Programs
Start HiJackThis
Press 'Config'
Press 'Misc Tools'
Press 'Open Uninstall Manager'
Press 'Save List'
Save the log to a convenient location
Copy the log and post its contents in this thread

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Holy shit, I'm not gonna lie I'm a total dumbass when it comes to this computer shit. So I'm gonna try and get 1 of the 2 friends I have that really good with computers to come over here and take your advice.

I totally appreciate that shit though man.

May 12, 2004
WTF does this mean??..it pops up everytime i try and download something and open it

"Windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions to access them"

May 1, 2003
DukeNaintEZ said:
WTF does this mean??..it pops up everytime i try and download something and open it

"Windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions to access them"

where ever you are down loading them to...check the permissions of the folder...also check the permissions of the file itself to make sure you have rights to open them. You should be set up as an "Administrator" on your own computer without any limitations. Just right click the file or location it is stored in and check the permissions. Also make sure your user account is an administrator account...so you can have "Super Powers"
Also a word of advice. Whenever I get an error I don't under stand. I copy the exact error...or a portion of it if it is too long and search for it in google. 10 times out of 10 ...some one else has encountered the same error as you. Let me know how it goes.

Apr 25, 2002
|HELP|
my sound disappeared!!!.. i was browsin' and all of sudden i can't play anything with sound now.. not movies, mp3's, nothin'.. no programs at all with sound... i guess my drivers are gone or someshit.. i notice the startup bar at the bottom is white.. it wasn't white before. i tired to troubleshoot . but i get to this one spot.. what should i do? here's some pics... i'm gonna run the virus scan but that shit takes hours.. hopefully someone can tell me what's up... i just hit stop and i'm back to square one.

when i hit find out more

am i supposed to allow this.. or what?

May 1, 2003
|GOD|||ZILLA| said:
|HELP|
my sound disappeared!!!.. i was browsin' and all of sudden i can't play anything with sound now.. not movies, mp3's, nothin'.. no programs at all with sound... i guess my drivers are gone or someshit.. i notice the startup bar at the bottom is white.. it wasn't white before. i tired to troubleshoot . but i get to this one spot.. what should i do? here's some pics... i'm gonna run the virus scan but that shit takes hours.. hopefully someone can tell me what's up... i just hit stop and i'm back to square one.

when i hit find out more

am i supposed to allow this.. or what?

Look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305666

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I got a toshiba laptop running windows (yeah I know, thats the first problem :classic:) and something happened to it so now the screen starts jumping. is that just due to loose wires or a faulty connection? I was gonna open it up either tonight or tomorrow to see if I could do something myself to fix it.

May 12, 2004
Im having problems with burning movies and CDs, The process used to be pretty fast now it takes twice the time to burn them, also my mouse pointer is hella delayed while im burning and if im playin music it slows it down and starts skipping, It never used to do this before..any suggestions??.THANKS

Feb 5, 2006
MY DESKTOP WONT POWER WINDOWS. WHEN I TURN IT ON, IT GOES TO THE OPEN SCREEN, THEN IT SHOWS THE BAR WHERE ITS LOADING, THEN IT STOPS AT THE END. I TRY TO HIT F8 OR F12 WHATEVER FOR THE MENUS BUT IT WONT WORK. IT JUS SHOWS THE BAR LOADED AT THE END BUT NUTHIN HAPPENS. AM I SCREWED?

May 12, 2004
DukeNaintEZ said:
Im having problems with burning movies and CDs, The process used to be pretty fast now it takes twice the time to burn them, also my mouse pointer is hella delayed while im burning and if im playin music it slows it down and starts skipping, It never used to do this before..any suggestions??.THANKS

can anyone help me out??