HAVING COMPUTER ISSUES...VIRUSES,SPYWARE, ETC...INFO HERE

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 1, 2003
JackArtist510 said:
ight i ran the command prompt but there was no IP listed in there? wtf? what do i do now?

what computer are you on now? is it using the same connection that you would be using with the computer that's having the problems. If so, you can run the ipconfig /all command from the computer you are posting on to get the info. make sure you put a space after ipconfig /all

May 31, 2006
Doberman said:
what computer are you on now? is it using the same connection that you would be using with the computer that's having the problems. If so, you can run the ipconfig /all command from the computer you are posting on to get the info. make sure you put a space after ipconfig /all
im on my mom's laptop. this laptop, mine and my lil bro's all use the same network.. just right now i was using the command prompt on my laptop which is the one i'm tryin to fix

May 1, 2003
now open up your wireless connection properties again
and select internet protocol(TCP/IP) and click properties.

you should see this

Is it set to configure manually or automatic?
If it's already set to automatic, select the "Use the following IP address. What you want to do is use the info you got when you ran ipconfig /all from the command prompt. Except change the last digit of your local Ip address . For example... if your local IP is 192.168.1.4 , change it to 192.168.1.8 enter everything else as is. Also enter the DNS info manually. after you do that close all the properties windows so that your settings can be saved. wait a second or two then try to connect.

May 1, 2003
make sure you don't have the same IP address as anything else on the network. if your moms laptop IP 192.168.1.1
your bros may be 192.168.1.2 a printer may be on 192.168.1.3 set yours to 192.168.1.8 or whatever your info may be ....I'm using these as examples...DON'T USE THESE!

May 1, 2003
an IP conflict will prevent you from connecting. that means you are trying to use an IP that is already in use. That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of here.

May 1, 2003
You may also want to try to set it to automatic...then Disable and re-enable the connection to see what it do.
Also check to see if it's trying to connect to another access point other than the one you want it to.

May 31, 2006
well it asked me to restart and when i did i was about to sign on AIM and it looked like it was going to do it but it didn't, i checked the properties and still no packets being received.. i wonder what it is. i already reinstalled the wireless card and messed with the firewall aannd the IP.... what else could it be?

May 1, 2003
JackArtist510 said:
well it asked me to restart and when i did i was about to sign on AIM and it looked like it was going to do it but it didn't, i checked the properties and still no packets being received.. i wonder what it is. i already reinstalled the wireless card and messed with the firewall aannd the IP.... what else could it be?

Go into "Safe Mode With Networking" and see if you connect that way.

May 31, 2006
Doberman said:
Go into "Safe Mode With Networking" and see if you connect that way.
shit, it's not lettin me connect through that either.. or do i have to do sumthin different? i think i could fix the problem through Safe Mode.. what else you think Doberman?

Jun 2, 2004
the other day i was on my computer and everything was working fine. i shut it down before i went to sleep. next day when i turn it back on it wouldn't read the e or d drives and now my photoshop won't work.

any clue how i can fix that?

May 1, 2003
JackArtist510 said:
shit, it's not lettin me connect through that either.. or do i have to do sumthin different? i think i could fix the problem through Safe Mode.. what else you think Doberman?
Go to the maker of your wireless adapter's site to see if they have any updated drivers.

Or if you have any restore points set...go to System Restore and go back to a day when you remember your Wireless connection working fine.

Do you have any available ethernet ports on your router? Try plugging into your network with a ethernet cable and see what it do

May 1, 2003
nob0die said:
ok question people.. im trying to have my xbox and computer hooked up to my cable internet. i can get one to connect but the other wont. Im using a switch... i was told i could use a switch instead of buying a router that had a switch with it.... (im trying my hardest to be cheap).... anyone have a clue how i would do this? i bought a hub.. but i was told that the hub wont assign a new ip address for the xbox if the computer is hooked up..thats why i bought the switch.. which i was told can assign both the xbox and the computer different ips..... or something of the sort..... if anybody can help me out.. id appreciate it...
oh and the setup i have is the cable modem is ran to the SWITCH and then i have the ethernet cables from the Switch ran to both the XBOX and the CPU..... the CPU i guess has priority and thus connects... not allowing the xbox to connect..
when i run the connection test on the xbox.. it fails on the ip check...

It's the switch! Read this:

What is the difference between an Ethernet hub and switch?

Although hubs and switches both glue the PCs in a network together, a switch is more expensive and a network built with switches is generally considered faster than one built with hubs. Why?

When a hub receives a packet (chunk) of data (a frame in Ethernet lingo) at one of its ports from a PC on the network, it transmits (repeats) the packet to all of its ports and, thus, to all of the other PCs on the network. If two or more PCs on the network try to send packets at the same time a collision is said to occur. When that happens all of the PCs have to go though a routine to resolve the conflict. The process is prescribed in the Ethernet Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) protocol. Each Ethernet Adapter has both a receiver and a transmitter. If the adapters didn't have to listen with their receivers for collisions they would be able to send data at the same time they are receiving it (full duplex). Because they have to operate at half duplex (data flows one way at a time) and a hub retransmits data from one PC to all of the PCs, the maximum bandwidth is 100 Mhz and that bandwidth is shared by all of the PC's connected to the hub. The result is when a person using a computer on a hub downloads a large file or group of files from another computer the network becomes congested. In a 10 Mhz 10Base-T network the affect is to slow the network to nearly a crawl. The affect on a small, 100 Mbps (million bits per scond), 5-port network is not as significant.

Two computers can be connected directly together in an Ethernet with a crossover cable. A crossover cable doesn't have a collision problem. It hardwires the Ethernet transmitter on one computer to the receiver on the other. Most 100BASE-TX Ethernet Adapters can detect when listening for collisions is not required with a process known as auto-negotiation and will operate in a full duplex mode when it is permitted. The result is a crossover cable doesn't have delays caused by collisions, data can be sent in both directions simultaneously, the maximum available bandwidth is 200 Mbps, 100 Mbps each way, and there are no other PC's with which the bandwidth must be shared.

An Ethernet switch automatically divides the network into multiple segments, acts as a high-speed, selective bridge between the segments, and supports simultaneous connections of multiple pairs of computers which don't compete with other pairs of computers for network bandwidth. It accomplishes this by maintaining a table of each destination address and its port. When the switch receives a packet, it reads the destination address from the header information in the packet, establishes a temporary connection between the source and destination ports, sends the packet on its way, and then terminates the connection.

Picture a switch as making multiple temporary crossover cable connections between pairs of computers (the cables are actually straight-thru cables; the crossover function is done inside the switch). High-speed electronics in the switch automatically connect the end of one cable (source port) from a sending computer to the end of another cable (destination port) going to the receiving computer on a per packet basis. Multiple connections like this can occur simultaneously. It's as simple as that. And like a crossover cable between two PCs, PC's on an Ethernet switch do not share the transmission media, do not experience collisions or have to listen for them, can operate in a full-duplex mode, have bandwidth as high as 200 Mbps, 100 Mbps each way, and do not share this bandwidth with other PCs on the switch. In short, a switch is "more better."

May 1, 2003
Now read this:

Differences Between an Ethernet Hub or Switch and a Broadband Router
Last updated: 8/23/01

Q. What are the differences between an Ethernet hub or switch and a broadband router?

A. For an introduction to Ethernet hubs and switches and their differences, see “What is the difference between an Ethernet hub and switch?” at http://duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm.

Most broadband routers (“routers” for short) are a combination Ethernet switch (or hub) and Network Address Translator (NAT; see below). They usually include a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server, Domain Name Service (DNS) proxy server (see below), and a hardware firewall to protect the Local Area Network (LAN) from malicious intrusion from the Internet.

All routers have a Wide Area Network (WAN) Port. This port connects to the to a DSL or cable MODEM for broadband service (e.g., the Internet) and is usually a 10 MHz 10BASET Ethernet port. A 10 MHz WAN port is sufficient for cable and DSL MODEMs as these devices transfer data at rate that is a fraction of 10 MHz. I have seen no broadband routers with a USB WAN port to connect to a USB cable or DSL MODEM.

Many recent broadband routers are combination routers/Ethernet switch (or hub) that have multiple Ethernet ports to connect more than one PC to form a LAN. These ports allow the PCs to share the WAN port/broadband Internet connection and perform LAN functions, such as Windows file and printer sharing. The LAN ports are usually 100 MHz 100 BASE-TX Ethernet.

Some routers have a single WAN port and a single LAN port and are designed to connect to an existing LAN hub or switch to a WAN.

Ethernet switches and hubs can be connected to router with multiple PC ports to expand a LAN. Depending on the capabilities (kinds of available ports) of the router and the switches or hubs, the connection between the router and switches/hubs may require straight-thru or crossover cables (http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable1.htm). See “What is an uplink port and what are the ways to connect two hubs/switches together?” at http://duxcw.com/faq/network/uplink.htm for details.

Some routers have ports for USB connections to computers on a LAN. Some have wireless LAN capabilities.

In addition to a WAN port, broadband routers, such as the SMC Barricade routers (http://duxcw.com/digest/Reviews/Network/smc/smc7004br/smc7004br.htm), may have a serial port that can be connected to an external dial-up MODEM (useful as a backup for the cable of DSL service) and a built in LAN printer server and printer port.

A router DHCP server provides local Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q164/0/15.asp; e.g., 192.168.02, 192.168,.0.2,…) to PC’s, etc. on the LAN set to obtain their IP addresses automatically. These DHCP servers can usually be configured to allow assignment of static IP addresses to PCs and other devices on the LAN. A router-borne DNS proxy handles Internet name resolution requests form PCs on the LAN to the ISPs DNS servers to translate names of computers on the Internet to IP addresses (e.g., duxcw.com to 216.92.56.121). The NAT function in the broadband router allows sharing a single IP address provided by the Internet Service Provider with PCs connected directly to the router/switch or to hub or switch connected to the router by mapping local LAN IP addresses (assigned by the DHCP server or static IPs on the same TCP/IP subnet) to Internet IP addresses and vice versa and translating the address information in the TCP/IP protocol packets.

Besides the inherent protection features provided by the NAT, many routers have a built-in, configurable, hardware-based firewall. Firewall capabilities can range from the very basic to quite sophisticated. Among the capabilities found on leading routers are those that permit configuring TCP/UDP ports (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers) for games, chat services, and the like, and installing web servers, etc. on the LAN behind the firewall.

In short, a hub glues together an Ethernet network segment, a switch can connect multiple Ethernet segments, and a router can do those functions plus route TCP/IP packets between multiple PCs on LAN and a WAN, and much more.

May 1, 2003
The main difference I see with using a switch is the DHCP info, NAT , DNS etc.
Most broadband routers (“routers” for short) are a combination Ethernet switch (or hub) and Network Address Translator (NAT; see below). They usually include a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server, Domain Name Service (DNS)
seems like it's trying to gather this info from the switch, which the switch doesn't have, and due to how the switch works, can't get past it to get DHCP info from the router. Even if you entered it manually in the 360 I think you are still going to have problems getting by the switch.