**The Official SF Giants Off-Season Thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 5, 2006
Did you guys know that since 2005 we have not ranked lower than 24th out of 30 in the league when it comes to offense? I don't know what in the hell Neukom and everyone else see in Sabean. Wish I was rich and owned some % of the team, i'd have him outted.

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Did you guys know that since 2005 we have not ranked lower than 24th out of 30 in the league when it comes to offense? I don't know what in the hell Neukom and everyone else see in Sabean. Wish I was rich and owned some % of the team, i'd have him outted.
It's a business. They see that he puts somewhat a good enough product on the field to draw enough fans.

May 14, 2005
Bochy didn't do to bad this year with the hitters he had. I'm cool with him coming back but sabean has to go. Dude just gives away money. The renteria deal, zito, rowand.....ect. He had a couple of good moves like Jason shmidt (don't kno how to spell it)....More bad than good in my eyes.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Interesting article, I am kind of on the fence about Sabean but I think Bochy did a good job with what he had last season even though he isn't one of the top managers he deserved a chance for one more season or at least a season with some more bats in the lineup.

Follow the money, Giants fans

Ray Ratto

Wednesday, October 14, 2009
The escalating paychecks of Aaron Rowand (seen here, seco... Edgar Renteria Jeremy Affeldt (left) Matt Cain

So Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy got their deals, as expected. And the new season begins in 172 days, and the Giants will be handed new and grander expectations because, as we know, every time a team gains 16 wins, it must by definition pick up another 16 the next year, give or take a few. And that burden will land squarely on Sabean's leonine head.

Except that teams don't typically make two such leaps in successive years; in fact, most teams that actually leap forward one year tend to fall back the next. Not because it wants to, or because the players are lazy or stupid, but because the history of baseball says it will. This has been covered by sabermetric experts for years, but you could do it yourself. It's a fact, period. No arguing.

But the second is that this expectation thing is Sabean's problem to correct, and the math says no. Again.

It's Bill Neukom's problem, and the Burns daughters' problem, and the rest of the partners' problem. Owners set the parameters, owners set the budgets, and owners largely decide how seriously a general manager can take his duties.

Proof? We thought you'd never ask.

Give or take a few bucks, the Giants have $37 million and change coming off the books this winter. Between contracted raises for Aaron Rowand, Edgar Renteria, Jeremy Affeldt and Matt Cain, the cost to re-sign Juan Uribe, the cost to re-sign or replace Bengie Molina and Freddy Sanchez, and the expensive decisions awaiting them on Brian Wilson and Tim Lincecum, that $37 million is actually a lot closer to $12 million, depending on how you figure the deferred contracts the previous ownership signed.

That's not enough to get Jason Bay or Matt Holliday for one year, let alone an extended deal. In other words, if you have expectations you think the Giants are obligated to meet, you need to aim your baleful stare higher up the organizational monkey-bar set.

If the Giants are supposed to buy a mighty and powerful bat, the budget has to be increased, and fairly dramatically. That's Neukom's job, and all impatience, foot-tapping, arms-folded exasperation should be directed his way.

Sabean's role becomes important if the Giants decide to attack the offensive problem a different way - namely, by eliminating the outs in the lineup piecemeal, with two or three less sexy signings that don't dent the existing budget. That could include trying to get Molina at a slightly lower price, or trolling for second-level free agents like first baseman Nick Johnson.

Buster Posey? Clearly not ready yet, not for the role he is being asked to fill long-term. And no, none of the other minor-league wunderkinder who are supposed to implement Neukom's other pet project, "The Giants Way," is ready, either. This means the Giants have yet another decision to make: Shoot the moon now or try to hold serve until 2011, which doesn't seem like anyone's idea of a good time.

Most Giants fans have enjoyed blaming Sabean for all the team's ills, on the richly false assumption that he was the architect of either the team's philosophy, its budgetary decisions or most expensive acquisitions. He is a convenient target, and has made his share of mistakes over what is the longest current tenure of any general manager in the game, but as owners become more involved in the day-to-day operation of the teams on which they spend so much money, most general managers have less leeway than people think.

And Sabean has no more leeway now. What he does have is an owner in Neukom who seems more open to listening and less aggressive about attention, which might make Sabean's job easier but not fully easy. The team is still in a bind talent-wise, and the minor leagues are not yet pushing out big-league hitters, which is why the really important meeting in Giants history will include not just Neukom and Sabean, but the investors as well. Because the next move is all about how much the organization wants to spend on those next 16 wins.

Feb 12, 2004
damn damn damn I fucking want to win a world series!! what the fuck is wrong with the giants front office?? you motherfuckers make me regret this giants tattoo!! lol jk but serious I just want to fucking win one!!!J just one!! :mad::mad::mad:

always reminds me of russo's 2003 rant

prodigy91

@jordvnxsf
Mar 20, 2008
SF
looks like we need to get rid of everyone except lincecum, cain. pablo, affeldt, romo, runzler, joaquin, uribe, wilson, sanchez, penny, and freddy and rhigetti fuck everyone else

prodigy91

@jordvnxsf
Mar 20, 2008
SF
Sanchez signs two-year contract

Veteran expected to play important role in lineup
By Chris Haft / MLB.com

10/30/09 7:10 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO -- Keeping an eye toward bolstering the offense, the Giants made a somewhat expected move in that direction Friday by re-signing second baseman Freddy Sanchez to a two-year contract.

The Giants acquired Sanchez from the Pirates for right-handed pitching prospect Tim Alderson on July 29, believing the three-time All-Star and 2006 National League batting champion would strengthen their batting order. But shoulder and knee injuries limited Sanchez, 31, to 25 games. He hit .284 with one home run and seven RBIs for the Giants, and .293 with seven homers and 41 RBIs in 111 games overall.

Terms of the deal were not announced, but Sanchez's salary package was believed to have exceeded the two-year, $10 million deal Pittsburgh offered him shortly before trading him to San Francisco. The San Francisco Chronicle reported that Sanchez will be paid $6 million per year.

A conference call was scheduled for Friday afternoon with Sanchez, general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy to elaborate on the signing. In a statement, Sabean said, "We are pleased to have Freddy in a Giants uniform for at least the next two years as we continue to improve our club. We saw a glimpse of him this past season and will look forward to his All-Star caliber play at the top of our lineup and in the middle of our infield. He provides a steady veteran presence and professional approach."

Sanchez owns a lifetime average of .299 with 178 doubles, 38 home runs and 300 RBIs in 733 Major League games with Boston (2002-03), Pittsburgh (2004-09) and San Francisco (2009).

Chris Haft is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
we knew this was coming but its finally official....