**The Official SF Giants Off-Season Thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Ive been looking for more news on the Angel Villalona murder suspect thing...i guess he turned himself in, so that would lead me to believe he did it? i know it was in september but there should be somewhat of an update...
The club/bar owner apparently said that Angel was outside with him when the guy got shot...who knows what the truth is though...

BTW: We are apparently in the lead to get Wagner Mateo, who was considered the best latin-american prospect (other than Miguel Angel Sano) for this past signing period....the Cards had outbid us, but voided his contract when they found some vision issue. Here's a vid of him:

Jan 5, 2006
Yea i heard about this kid. Fuck it we'll gladly take him.

Sounds like he just wants to play ball and is heartbroken his dream folded for a bit since the Cards played him wrong for some stupid reason. Supposedly he's healthy. Vision is like 20/30, that can be corrected.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Meulens gets to work

New hitting coach Hensley Meulens gave up his job in the Venezuelan winter league so he could begin working with hitters right away — and we do mean right away.

He will be at AT&T Park on Monday for an intensive hitting clinic with four of his most important pupils: John Bowker, Nate Schierholtz, Travis Ishikawa and Brett Pill.

If you haven’t heard of Pill, he’s a slick-fielding first baseman from Cal State Fullerton who became a legitimate prospect after a huge season at Double-A Connecticut. He had 109 RBIs. Nobody else in the pitcher-friendly Eastern League broke 100. I expect the Giants will add him to the 40-man roster shortly.
Good shit...hopefully he has a positive impact on these guys....

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Giants advise Randy Winn to seek employment elsewhere

Outfielder Randy Winn filed for free agency and he isn’t expected to re-sign with the Giants, his agent told me today.

The Giants contacted agent Craig Landis prior to the World Series and thanked Winn for his services, but said they have a number of young outfielders and advised him to seek employment elsewhere.

It was expected the Giants would part ways with Winn, 35, who was the club’s everyday right fielder for most of the past four seasons. A switch-hitter, Winn slumped badly from the right side and finished with a .262 average after hitting over .300 the previous year. He also hit just two home runs — the first time he failed to record double-digit homers since 2001 — yet still batted in the No.3 spot until late in the season.

DUTCH-F.E

Super Moderator
Apr 25, 2002
WWW.myspace.com
He didn't even lead the system with that, Roger Kieschnick (OF) had a monster season in San Jose. His overall line was: .296 AVG 23 HR 110 RBI
he had 109 rbi's in Connecticut playing against the yankees and redsox minor league systems. that Conn. league is the best minor league division in baseball. so for him to have 109 over there, means he made a shit load of contact with runners in scoring position. not that our san jose and fresno teams arent good, but they aint playing against who our Conn team is.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
he had 109 rbi's in Connecticut playing against the yankees and redsox minor league systems. that Conn. league is the best minor league division in baseball. so for him to have 109 over there, means he made a shit load of contact with runners in scoring position. not that our san jose and fresno teams arent good, but they aint playing against who our Conn team is.
I know about the Eastern League (top prospects, cold weather, pitcher friendly/big parks, etc.), I was just saying that there are other guys down on the farm producing some great numbers...

An update on Meulens' work so far:

Back in the Swing

When I arrived at the indoor batting cage earlier today, new Giants hitting coach Bam-Bam Meulens was feeding baseballs into a pitching machine, one after another, sending fastballs and curveballs hurtling toward John Bowker. Nate Schierholtz, one of Meulens' other pupils, watched from a folding chair behind the plate, protected by netting that enclosed the space like a soft box.

"Good separation and balance,'' Meulens said when Bowker crushed a pitch. "Nice.''

The two players were in shorts and T-shirts and drenched in sweat as they took turns at the plate. Bowker was working, at the moment, on letting the ball get deeper through the strike zone and hitting it to the opposite field. I knew they had arrived at 9 and assumed they had been hacking at balls most of the morning.

"Actually, we haven't been in the cage all that long,'' Schierholtz said.

Instead, it turns out, Meulens' weeklong hitting clinic began this morning with one-on-one conversations with each player - Bowker and Schierholtz, plus Travis Ishikawa and minor-leaguer Brett Pill, who had already left by the time I arrived around 11:30.

Meulens is a big believer in understanding his players' minds as well as their mechanics. He asked them how they felt their season went, where they thought they needed to improve, how they approach the game. He spent 45 minutes just with Ishikawa, trying to learn how he thinks and what he knows.

"All of that helps me to be a better teacher to them,'' Meulens said later.

He wants to shift the attitude of players who blame their poor performance on not playing regularly. "The guy who writes out the lineup card doesn't care if you need 300 at-bats to get comfortable,'' he said. "Don't complain about not playing enough. I want to eliminate that totally.''

And he wants to fine-tune their mental approach so they are prepared for every pitch in every at-bat. "That's critical - you've got to have a plan to attack every pitcher. You have to know how he got you out before, or if you've had success, how he's going to try to do different stuff.''

He'd like to see more of what the Giants did against Ubaldo Jimenez and the Rockies on September 15. Giants batters were instructed not to swing until they had a strike. Jimenez needed 38 pitches to get through the first inning and had thrown close to 90 pitches before he was pulled in the third inning.

"When you take pitches early in the game, you get to see what pitches are working for (the opposing pitcher) and which ones aren't. And you let the guys behind you see more pitches,'' he said.

Schierholtz leaves Tuesday for winter ball in Puerto Rico. On Saturday, Meulens will fly down to Venezuela with Bowker and Pill and get them settled onto their winter teams there. He'll stop in Puerto Rico on the way home to check in on Schierholtz.

Jan 5, 2006
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP)—A top baseball prospect for the San Francisco Giants has been freed on bond after the family of the man he is accused of killing asked a judge in the Dominican Republic to drop the case.

Angel Villalona would have spent two months in jail while attorneys prepared the case.

Prosecutor Jose Antonio Polanco told The Associated Press that he still intends to prosecute the 19-year-old first baseman.

“The judge accepted the decision of the family … but we intend to follow through on this charge,” Polanco said in a weekend interview.

Villalona turned himself in 12 hours after a Sept. 19 shooting at a bar in La Romana. He could face up to 20 years in prison if found guilty of killing 25-year-old Mario Felix de Jesus Velete.

Villalona was signed by the Giants in 2006 and received a $2.1 million signing bonus.

The first baseman played in 74 games with Class-A San Jose this season, batting .267 with nine home runs and 42 RBIs. Baseball America chose him as the Giants’ top prospect before the 2008 season, and he was selected for the Futures Game during All-Star festivities that year.

The Giants have declined further comment on the case.