Tech N9ne getting fame he deserves? HERE'S HOW!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2007
www.wevegotthejazz.com
Real Hip Hop Talk

And You mentioned T-Pain/Soulja Boy.

Take your own advice.

Black Boy said:
Drop some money. Get the people who will get you attention. Get T-Pain. Get Lil' Wayne. Get a Kanye beat or two on there.
But they always helpin' in the hood,
But Ya'll closed me out,
Ya'll didn't even really wanna know what we 'bout,
And we Bom-Bay,
Truth ain't on this,
So the N9ne Spray,
And I had to spit on it, 'Cause I couldn't afford KanYe!

Jul 2, 2008
this has got to be the stupid thread ever,
first of all, tech collabed w/ who ever he
did because they were cool w/ him,
and didn't have to use hella money as an
incentive.
secondly he wants to do it right,
and have people buy if they feel it...
no shoveling money into ads and rotation
of his shit, to have it forced down people's thoats,
like big record tycoons do.
I respect the fucking hell out of him for it.

Nov 24, 2006
Co-Sign. I think it's more of a matter of keeping true to himself and to his fans. I'm sure every mother fucker on here would love to drop a couple lines with Kanye, Jigga, or whoever else. Sport some Ferrari's and big cribs for a while, then slowly fade into the fabric of "has been artists". I'm sorry but TO ME that is not Tech or Strange's style. Sure the dude would love to be the most popular rap artist in the world, but that's the beauty of Tech...simply put, he's not everyone else. He's the most unique, original, talented mother fucker I've ever heard. His music can bring me down, tear me up, get me rialed up, get me laid. I mean, the versatility is endless...and if Tech is truly only concerned with making bread as you said then maybe I've been listening to the wrong dude for the past 7 years. I'd like to think not.

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
Co-Sign. I think it's more of a matter of keeping true to himself and to his fans. I'm sure every mother fucker on here would love to drop a couple lines with Kanye, Jigga, or whoever else. Sport some Ferrari's and big cribs for a while, then slowly fade into the fabric of "has been artists". I'm sorry but TO ME that is not Tech or Strange's style. Sure the dude would love to be the most popular rap artist in the world, but that's the beauty of Tech...simply put, he's not everyone else. He's the most unique, original, talented mother fucker I've ever heard. His music can bring me down, tear me up, get me rialed up, get me laid. I mean, the versatility is endless...and if Tech is truly only concerned with making bread as you said then maybe I've been listening to the wrong dude for the past 7 years. I'd like to think not.
i bet he can do something like that,

i mean, i heard that song with shawna(mainstream artist) and it was pretty good,

but if takes off his most important thing that makes techn9ne, techn9ne...

then i think his career would end...

"when selling out goes wrong"

Oct 3, 2007
"Selling Out" in my opinion is more about changing yourself as a person to get the attention of the media and/or fans. I don't think Tech would change who he is to get either, I think his opinion is that if more people just heard my shit they'd love it without me changing. As far as his current guest spots I think everybody covered that. Some more commercials and a video in rotation would be nice. And hell yeah a verse from some famous rapper would be alright too but throughout his career I think Tech has been different and did verses with/for people who he dug their music, was cool with them or had something in common(I'm sure there's examples to the contrary somewhere out there).

But for God's sake he's selling the album for $10.00! After production, current guest spots, what little promotion he has done I am sure their going in the red for album by itself. His way of promoting may be to charge 33 cents a song (if you buy CD do the math) and just hope people will give it a shot. Granted most of his money comes from the tours he does and I'm sure merch! Just my thoughts .. and I have no problem promoting any Tech cd and for 10 bucks maybe I'll buy a couple extra and give them away.

Sep 17, 2003
But for God's sake he's selling the album for $10.00! After production, current guest spots, what little promotion he has done I am sure their going in the red for album by itself. His way of promoting may be to charge 33 cents a song (if you buy CD do the math) and just hope people will give it a shot. Granted most of his money comes from the tours he does and I'm sure merch! Just my thoughts .. and I have no problem promoting any Tech cd and for 10 bucks maybe I'll buy a couple extra and give them away.

Ehnt! Wrong!! Tech makes more off of each album than most artists dream of. That's probably why it is not as important that he sell a million off one album, because he makes more per each CD sold. Basically, fewer "middlemen" and he isn't signed to some contract by Universal or Def Jam, etc., that stipulates he makes $.20 off of each album sold. Someone here has a good idea of the exact figure, but I bet it would surprise you. :cool:

Oct 3, 2007
Still dont think its as high as everyone thinks. Would know an exact figure but FYE, CC, BB they are collecting their money, fontana, cd printers, employees at strange, producers, guest spots and I'm sure others. I realize Tech is independent and one of the benefits is getting more money per album sale. Still 10 dollars does not go far!

Aug 16, 2003
Tech needs to go for broke. All or nothing, just put everything on black and spin the wheel type shit. Killer is good, but after a few weeks of listening, I've determined there's definitely some filler in there. It could have definitely been broken down into 1 much better album.

Tech needs to go in the studio and do one CD. Don't pack it full of shit. Just 12 or 13 songs of pure fire. And then get some guest spots that matter. I'm sorry, but if you're gonna hype up a "Special Guest Appearance!" on one of your songs, and then have that person be.....Big Scoob? Seriously? Fuck outta here.

Drop some money. Get the people who will get you attention. Get T-Pain. Get Lil' Wayne. Get a Kanye beat or two on there. Tech makes a TON of money on merch at every show. He's friends with people that matter. He's got connections. He could get these guest spots. And since he already has guest spots on every song anyway, might as well make them names that will get attention.

For instance, if he had taken the money he paid Ice Cube, Scarface, Paul Wall, and Shawnna.........and combine all that money and give it to someone who is actually, yanno...relevant right now. I <3 Ice Cube all day, but nigga ain't had a hit that mattered since "We Be Clubbin'." Add all 4 of their money together and get one of these new shitbags that's all over radio now. That'd get more buys.

Buy commercial time on MTV (he's done it before). Launch a promotional campaign that makes the Everready flyers/samplers shit pale in comparison.

Basically, stop wasting money on shit like Grave Plott, take every spare penny, and dump it all into one last full scale Tech N9ne album.

If that doesn't work and he doesn't hit it big.....then fuck it, sit back and relax and regroup, and help Travis run the label.

**cough cough**

Ok here is another long one from Smittycal...get ready:siccness:

1st off I dont know how long youve been a Tech fan..but dont you think he has TRIED all of what your suggestions before? Dont you think that for on instant that if he could get a Nelly or Jay Z or Nas or whever (insert name here) to be on a song/album he would? Did you stop to think that they DO have the money and resources but they were unavalible or just didnt know who Tech is or just not want to fuck with him for some reason? He couldnt even get Lynch on Killer and not only does he know who Tech is and have a song with him Lynch dosent have shit else to do (as far as I know) I dont know why people assume that they know the inner workings of Strange and think that what ever the fuck it is we WANT them to do..they havent tried it before. The reason there asking people to buy albums is to try to prove to the "industry" that they can do it there way and still have decent album sales. There also trying to show that if you stir the pot enough people will come around to you. Its been proven before by No Limit and Death Row...and even though the times are different then when they came out as far as the economy goes people were still poor then too. Those labels made it and are now legendary. I know we all want to see Tech do his thing and do it right now...but yall gotta realize he IS doing it now. He has an upcoming tour coming up that will help him push album sales and he has an all Strange Tour that will only push shit to the next level. If you wanna see where your (insert rapper name here) feature or video money is going...go to a Strange show and see how they stepped up there stage shows and lighting systems. Look at the better Venues there getting and where and who there touring with. Going on tour costs money, especialy when your talking about hitting up a large part of the country in a few weeks. Theres other ways to promote music other then getting on MTV and what have you. We as a culture for some reason have put in our head the MTV is the pennicle of achievement for music .....but we also talk shit on all the bullshit we watch on there...or complain that they dont SHOW music on there anymore...why would we want that kind of shit for the music we claim to love?

The whole point of Killer IMO was to support the live shows. It seems to me that most of the CD was crafted to do that. Tech knows that not only is the live aspect of strange his bread and butter...but that a good ass show will bring out more people and more people+ good bussiness sense = success..That is Strange and techs master plan and it may be a slower way to go at times but it gets the job done. Plus most "mainstream" artists are on the grind for 10 or more years before they get there shine so in reality Tech is right on time compared to most....unless they have some fluke hit single....then they become that one hit wonder on where are they now and shit.....

OK....im done ranting and shit....at least for now lol..but I hope yall get my point. This CD just droped a few days ago. I think that it will bottom out sales wise until the next tour starts...then well see a jump again..once that starts Im sure that Tech will get up w/ the "mainstream" and tell them to check out what happens when REAL talent and real fans can do when they are put together in one place...

Just my 2 pesos:siccness::siccness:

Jun 13, 2005
Ehnt! Wrong!! Tech makes more off of each album than most artists dream of. That's probably why it is not as important that he sell a million off one album, because he makes more per each CD sold. Basically, fewer "middlemen" and he isn't signed to some contract by Universal or Def Jam, etc., that stipulates he makes $.20 off of each album sold. Someone here has a good idea of the exact figure, but I bet it would surprise you. :cool:
I just had to comment on this, if the nigga was making that much money off all of his albums, theres no fucking reason he couldn't afford Kanye.

Jul 2, 2008
u dumb fucker... excuse my language

but AFFORDING kanye goes against
his god damn principle of no pay for play
god damn!!!