Odd Future & Tech N9ne

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 30, 2002
Who gives a shit? lol

That kid will fall off if he doesn't start grabbing onto somebody in the industry. His shock and roll will only carry him so far.
I 100% agree with this. People don't understand what it means to be independent. You have to be willing to operate in the RED for a while to build your brand, and I don't get the vibe that they are willing to do that for too much longer. As many moving parts as there are to that group, greed will creep in soon enough. They will sign somewhere.

Nov 20, 2004
www.MySpace.com
actually Id say ICP has the most dedicated fanbase period.....think about if Tech continued to release cds on the same level of quality of Gates I think Tech's fanbase would declined drastically. ICP's fanbase has stayed the same and they haven't put out anything remotely good since Jeckel Brothers--there cds and music gets shittier and shittier

hell some of Tech's juggalo fans are just Tech fans because he's cool with ICP......
Kiss?

Nov 14, 2002
I don't see many kiss fans getting together and acting like a bunch of asswipes to each other and others just because they're at a Kiss show.

Kiss fans are older Juggalos with money to afford leather boots.

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Who gives a shit? lol

That kid will fall off if he doesn't start grabbing onto somebody in the industry. His shock and roll will only carry him so far.
Well they just signed a publishing/distribution deal through Sony to start their own label, Odd Future Records, so unlikely they need to latch onto anyone at this point. Although their singer was in the studio with Nas recently. I'm sure they'll just be a flash in the pan tho, right? :cool:

Sep 30, 2002
Well they just signed a publishing/distribution deal through Sony to start their own label, Odd Future Records, so unlikely they need to latch onto anyone at this point. Although their singer was in the studio with Nas recently. I'm sure they'll just be a flash in the pan tho, right? :cool:
You guys get all caught up over a deal, a deal don't really mean shit. Lets say that Sony gave em 10 mil up front, how many ways does it have to be split? Plus the agent, the booking agent, the manager. Then of course the artists. Also half of it goes to Uncle Sam. They then have to repay anything that Sony does for said label, the truth is, regardless of talent, they have a high probability that they will really just be acquiring debt with a deal. The horror stories run deep bro, Major outlets don't play anything for free, it doesn't matter who you are. The reported going rate for having a video in semi rotation through the MTV, BET parent company (viacom) along with the interview packages and exposure they give runs in the neighborhood of 1-2 million dollars when its all said and done. This shit is not as easy as being good and having talent. They may have a run but being indy successful as a company takes a while. Lets have this conversation in 5 years.

Jan 29, 2006
You guys get all caught up over a deal, a deal don't really mean shit. Lets say that Sony gave em 10 mil up front, how many ways does it have to be split? Plus the agent, the booking agent, the manager. Then of course the artists. Also half of it goes to Uncle Sam. They then have to repay anything that Sony does for said label, the truth is, regardless of talent, they have a high probability that they will really just be acquiring debt with a deal. The horror stories run deep bro, Major outlets don't play anything for free, it doesn't matter who you are. The reported going rate for having a video in semi rotation through the MTV, BET parent company (viacom) along with the interview packages and exposure they give runs in the neighborhood of 1-2 million dollars when its all said and done. This shit is not as easy as being good and having talent. They may have a run but being indy successful as a company takes a while. Lets have this conversation in 5 years.
dont worry someone will bump this shit in a few years, they always do.

May 1, 2009

I agree with you. Im not denying these dudes have some talent, although im not really into most of their shit, I just dont see them ever getting any bigger than they are right now.

Sep 30, 2002
I agree with you. Im not denying these dudes have some talent, although im not really into most of their shit, I just dont see them ever getting any bigger than they are right now.
Don't get it twisted though. I think they are talented and I think they could be big. I just don't think its that easy to say they will be some indie juggernaut because of that. It is something that has been attempted with very little success outside of PSY and Strange lately.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
I guess I should have been clearer, they have a distribution deal with RED Music which is a subsidiary of Sony. This kind of deal is standard practice for most regular indie labels, not these "labels" most rappers get, like Game's Black Wallstreet which never drop shit and aren't much more than a logo/pendant on a chain. So it's not like they signed a slave contract. No, this is a label deal that a majority of indie labels get and while they don't usually make a huge amount of money like the Def Jams of the world, they seem to be able to pay their bills just fine. RED Music has 60 labels under them, I doubt if they were robbing and raping their clients that they would have so many under them.

Check their site for more info:

http://www.redmusic.com/?page_id=275

Yes, everyone involved in it gets a cut, that is how a business works, but they have full creative control and 100% ownership of their masters. Although just because 1 person releases an album, that doesn't mean that revenue is getting split between the 9 members evenly. They're getting paid for what they bring to the table not just sitting around getting paychecks for no reason, come on now. Plus, everyone knows from the biggest mainstream stars to the most obscure indie artists, the real money is in performing shows. Here is their current tour schedule right now. Big pics for some so I'll link.

East Coast Tour

Europe Tour

Summer Festival Tour
April 15
COACHELLA FESTIVAL -CA
MAY 29
PRIMAVERA FESTIVAL - SPAIN
JUNE 1
SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE- AUSTRALIA
JUNE 3
THE PRINCE OF WALES - AUSTRALIA
JUNE 4
THE ZOO - BRISBANE
JULY 17
PITCHFORK FESTIVAL - CHICAGO
AUGUST 13-14
SUMMER SONIC FESTIVAL- TOKYO, JAPAN
AUGUST 27
READING FESTIVAL - UK
AUGUST 28
LEEDS FESTIVAL - UK

If they keep even half of this steam they got right now, I'm sure they'll be breaking even at the very least and not broke. Also a big part of what will help them is their fans aren't the typical hip hop fans, they are people that listen to rock and indie music, people who will more than likely buy albums and merch.

TL;DR - The likelihood for success is bigger than them becoming failures, you're just looking at it from a pessimistic angle.

May 7, 2008
figg kidd had a sony deal i think and after he released one album through them he spending alot of his time paying off his debts.. he even changed his rap name i think just to get out of legal shit but im unsure... sony is evil :p