Odd Future & Tech N9ne

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 30, 2002
Me being snarky isn't evidence that I'm sensitive, just being a jerk. I'm not basing their potential of being a huge indie label off Goblin alone, their entire catalog and side projects are evident of that. Their in-house R&B singer released one free album and within a month he wrote 2 songs for Beyonce. Goblin will be their first retail release and they already have a video in rotation on MTV in a time when MTV doesn't even play videos aside from their morning block @ 6 AM. They have booked shows in the UK and now Australia, with more international shows being rumored for other countries.

So yeah I'd say there are plenty of reasons to assume they could easily be a big indie label within themselves, then again you are the expert here.
Well I hope that cat don't use words like snarky when he spits. And since its like that fuck you. To be an indie powerhouse there are a lot of ingredients. There are no advances so artists have to be satisfied being broke for a while considering most of the profit goes back into the company. You said they have a manager and an agent so they have to be paid. Looks like the profits would have to be split a lot of ways, so like I was saying they have a lot of obstacles to overcome.

To further my point Strange didn't even have deals for Kaliko and Kutt until about 4 years into their existence.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
On a related note signing under anyone would be a bad move for them. At this point they need to see how well GOBLIN does and go from there. I don't think it's going to be a huge seller, not first week at least, but Tyler said he'd be happy if it sold 5,000 first week and I think it will do well over that, but we will see. They do have the potential of being big enough and starting a indie label themselves with just a distribution deal that's for sure but only time will tell.

Even though I disagreed with that whole article I thought it was a good read and wasn't surprised they said Strange Music at all.

Apr 2, 2010
Why is everyone getting butthurt over Tylers success? Tech did the same thing and built up a empire, the only difference is Tyler is managing everything on his own. Calling anyone a groupie just because the fact is Tylers stealing everyones chance to shine is on some player hater shit.

Hes gonna swag out on everyone in the industry and Tech N9ne's showing interest in his movement, he just wants to bring more exposure to himself because what Tech did in over a decade (to reach success) only took Tyler a couple years to get on the same level.

May 7, 2008
i dont think he did all that much to get where he at.. the scene is covered in these gangstaish wannabe same ol boring style and he just came out with a diff sound from all them and stood out.

If you been following rap for aslong as most people you get sick of the Jay Rocks,Mixplates and anything sounding gangsta wannabeish. The 90s pasted for a reason evolve! He just a guy being a guy not claiming he all G or anything like that. Its the reason i listen to tech n9ne(excluding all mixplates).

Rambling :p

Nov 14, 2002
Shit just seems like the same backpack, "I'm a black dude who skateboards, look at my tatts and white/emo/punk image", ironic hipster type shit to me.

Which honestly... I thought was over like three years ago.

May 7, 2008
yea i see your point im just saying his sound is seperated from that particular thing i mentioned.. still id rather that outlook than that other shit lol but what can u expect ? i like K.west. Enough said ? lol

Sep 30, 2002
Why is everyone getting butthurt over Tylers success? Tech did the same thing and built up a empire, the only difference is Tyler is managing everything on his own. Calling anyone a groupie just because the fact is Tylers stealing everyones chance to shine is on some player hater shit.

Hes gonna swag out on everyone in the industry and Tech N9ne's showing interest in his movement, he just wants to bring more exposure to himself because what Tech did in over a decade (to reach success) only took Tyler a couple years to get on the same level.

Ok now I understand why you guys feel the way you do, and I really can't believe that you guys could be as naive as some of you are being. Let me first say that this opinion has nothing to do with me being a fan of Strange Music. As a matter of fact I am not a fan of Psychopathic records at all and I am telling you guys right now that if you thing that OF has ascended to the level of an ICP or Tech N9ne following you are batshit crazy.

When you talk about Psychopathic and Strange you are talking about sustained success (10+ years for both)that most mainstream artists have not achieved. You guys act like just because they are a talented group that somehow they are among the greats in the game. You become a great by being able to sustain success, not just gain it.

Apr 2, 2010
You become a great by being able to sustain success, not just gain it.
Tech N9ne's best selling cd was Absolute Power and that was back in 2002, who is really not sustaining success? Tech N9ne has been on a steady decline ever since, Odd Future has a devoted fanbase as much as Tech N9ne if not more..

We will see who becomes more successful.

Nov 14, 2002
Tech N9ne's best selling cd was Absolute Power and that was back in 2002, who is really not sustaining success? Tech N9ne has been on a steady decline ever since, Odd Future has a devoted fanbase as much as Tech N9ne if not more..
No.

And besides that you're ignoring his point.

Sep 30, 2002

We will see who becomes more successful.
Are you kidding. Tech wasn't selling downloads like these kids are, Absolute power may have sold 600,000 if that were the case. He was selling physical copies during a time where selling physical copies was really all there was.

You guys don't have a true grasp of the kind of success Tech and Strange have really achieved. They are almost 100% self contained, they own and built they're own state of the art buildings, the vehicles, they make their own merch. They are making millions and millions of dollars and they outsource very little. Also the industry doesn't give a shit how loyal your fan base is if you aren't willing to play the game, i.e. paying to appear on 106th and park, or paying millions to the major radio station owners to play your single. There are established rappers/rap groups with loyal fanbases that can't go independent because there are too many hands out. When you talk about success you can't just be talking about being really popular for a while, because alot of the popular niggas are broke.

May 7, 2008
I NEVER SAID they was as succesful as tech n9ne. Or Icp.

I just said that they would be a more profitable group to sign over these Jay Rocks and Maydays. They basically throw money down the drain when they sign these little unheard people.