Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Offense showing signs of renewal

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080817/sports/586755080

Martz's work pays off in lopsided win over Packers
Even if the 49ers’ offensive showing Saturday came in a meaningless exhibition game, it was still a welcome relief from the futility of recent seasons. “Unlike a year ago or even the past three years, we’ve had a lot of flashes (this summer),” 49ers coach Mike Nolan said Sunday, a day after the club’s 34-6 victory over the Green Bay Packers.

“Whether in training camp or practice against the Raiders or even in our preseason game against the Raiders, we’ve had a lot of spurts and flashes of good stuff. (Saturday) night we put it together more often than we have up to this point. So I’m encouraged by that.”

Quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan threw for 154 yards in the first half, including a 59-yard touchdown pass to rookie Josh Morgan. With Alex Smith and Shaun Hill at quarterback in the second half, the 49ers added a touchdown and two field goals. (The 49ers also scored on Allen Rossum’s 67-yard punt return.) There have been many times throughout training camp when the 49ers’ defense overmatched the offense.

Some practices have been marred by the 49ers’ inability to get lined up correctly on offense, false starts and overall ragged play in the passing game. But Saturday’s game provided the first tangible clues the 49ers have the ability to be significantly improved from the unit that ranked last in the NFL with just 237.3 yards per game a year ago.

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz has installed a complex offense that requires a lot of attention to detail. That is part of the reason he said he decided to call plays Saturday from the sideline. It is easier to communicate with his players from the field, he said.

The 49ers gained 233 total yards in the first half against the Packers, nearly matching last year’s regular-season average.

“Most importantly, it builds confidence in our players,” Nolan said. “We have, as everyone does in training camp, good days and bad days. This offense, as everyone in the league has witnessed, is an extremely good offense. And Mike Martz does as good a job as anyone in the league, if not better. So I’m confident that it’s getting better all the time.”

Nolan said there has been no decision about the starting quarterback for the regular season. The 49ers open on Sept. 7 against the Arizona Cardinals.

O’Sullivan appeared to solidify his edge as the No. 1, though. He threw one interception when trying to force the ball to tight end Vernon Davis, but O’Sullivan also took the cautious approach on a couple plays outside the pocket.

“He continues to do a good job,” Nolan said. “I thought his decision-making was very good. I thought he played well yesterday.”

O’Sullivan has worked exclusively with the first team since Aug. 6. He has also started both exhibition games, while Smith and Hill have gotten their game action with the reserves.

When asked if he has a fair reading on what Smith and Hill can do, Nolan answered, “I feel good about what we’re doing so far from a repetitions standpoint, and playing time as well.”

PASS RUSH IMPROVED
The 49ers’ pass rush is another faulty area last season that has shown tremendous improvement in the first two exhibition games. The 49ers have recorded eight sacks in the first two games, including six against the Packers.

“At no time do you want to sit back and say, ‘We got that fixed,’” Nolan said. “We still have a lot of work to do, but there are a lot of encouraging things that are happening. There are a lot of encouraging things that are happening.”

Justin Smith’s versatility is a big key to the 49ers’ defense. He played 16 snaps on Saturday and lined up in five different positions: right defensive end (six snaps), right outside linebacker (four), right defensive tackle (three), left defensive tackle (two) and left defensive end (one).

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
The Wrap Up, Green Bay

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4489&section=PR News

Eric Davis spent 13 years in coverage as an NFL cornerback. By joining the 49ers Broadcast Team in 2008, the formers 49ers will embark on a new sort of coverage. Catch up with Davis on Mondays throughout the season as he gives The Wrap Up of the team’s Sunday performances. Below are his thoughts about the 49ers second preseason game against the Green Bay Packers.

I said last week that I wanted to see someone win the quarterback job instead of being given the job. J.T. O’Sullivan is taking some strides towards winning the position, as he did make some throws, got the long ball down the field on time and scored some points.

Still, he did make another ill advised decision, completely lost sight of the coverage and threw a pick to set Green Bay up in the red zone. Those are some of the things we are going to have to deal with if he is the guy. You are going to have to take the good with the bad, and the other night, the good outweighed the bad.

Things weren’t going well at first, but he did rebound from the interception and you saw him basically say “forget that,” and show some confidence out there. That’s great to see him step up and move on, instead of “Here we go again.” Bad things are going to happen because they just do, but you can’t go in the tank.

He does have the quicker release right now and the gunslinger mentality that you want. But, he is also going to throw the ball into triple coverage and take some chances that can hurt a team. If he ends up being the guy, I think those are things you are going to have to deal with.

Alex Smith still looks a step behind. He’s not pulling the trigger. He’s still waiting for his guy to be wide open, and for that extra second to read the coverage before he releases the ball. But he did do some good things. He hasn’t turned the ball over yet, and what I like about Alex is that you know he’s not going to make the killer mistakes. You know he’ll play smart football. I think he needs to get some confidence and I would still like to see what he can do with that starting unit because he does have talent. If he could get out there with a solid supporting cast, he might get the confidence he needs to really be a solid player at the position.

Part of that supporting cast is going to be Josh Morgan. I liked him when I first saw him at practice, and he has not disappointed anyone. He’s finding ways to get open, and he worked well against two top notch corners in Charles Woodson and Al Harris. He’s hungry and he’s out for playing time. He seems to have started his first ever training camp thinking he wants to be the best and that he’s going to do whatever he can to make that happen.

So, there’s no question Josh is going to make plays during the season. Isaac Bruce is going to make plays. Bryant Johnson is going to make plays. Right now Josh is on the field and he has the chemistry, but these guys are going to make plays. Bruce doesn’t have a million catches simply because people forget about him or don’t cover him. He’s a playmaker, and you HAVE to throw the ball to him.

So I think there’s a good supporting cast and I just think that could really help a guy like Alex. He just has to handle the confidence to let the ball go. Right now, that’s the mentality that J.T. has, and he just lets it rip.

As for Shaun Hill, again extremely difficult to evaluate a guy in that situation with the third group. Coach has said he’s not decided on who the guy is, but I think it’s obvious who the guy isn’t considering that Shaun continues to get the third-team reps

Outside of the QB position, I was also impressed with the offensive line, and the way they protected. There were some pretty good runs too. Every unit that went out there sustained drives. They were making blocks so runners could get free, and they were getting 5, 7, and 8-yard chunks on runs. And they did it against a good team.

Both sides of the ball played well against very good players on Green Bay. They are not a shabby team. They are not in a rebuilding mode. They are a solid club.

It was obvious that the defensive line played well but I was impressed with how the younger guy – Ray McDonald was playing. He had a good game, but the whole line was aggressive and constantly putting pressure on the quarterbacks and causing havoc in the backfield.

The defense opened up with six defensive backs and that absolutely shows you’ve got some quality depth in the secondary. The coaches have to have the confidence that they have that many players who can get the job done. And not just guys who can get the job done, but guys who are earning the right to be on the field. You call packages like that when you feel like you’ve got to find a way to get your playmakers on the field, because you know you have players who can help you win games if they are used right.

And guys were making plays all night on the defense.

Good d-line play is a product of good coverage, and good coverage is a product of good d-line play. They go hand in hand. There is a great secondary here in place and that allows the defensive coaches to be more aggressive, to run more stunts and blitzes and to tell the guys to pin their ears back and go and attack the quarterback because we can hold up the coverage. There were times when Aaron Rodgers simply had no one to throw the ball to, and that was not the case he had Monday night against Cincinnati.

The guys were extremely aggressive and it didn’t look like a preseason game. It looked like these guys are ahead in their defensive installation, compared to Green Bay’s offense. The defensive guys are really just fine-tuning things. They seem to know what they are doing, and it was a great job to prevent Green Bay from getting a TD after the interception. The defense was given a second chance – you don’t want to see a guy get open like that, but they responded and kept them out of there.

I think that return by Allen Rossum showed exactly why they brought him here. He understands that this is his way to make the team and that he’s got something to contribute. He’s listed as a corner, but he’s not going to be one of those guys. He’s going to come in and return kicks and that’s a major part of the game. He went out and did what the second leading active return guy can do – make guys miss, and follow his blocks. It’s demoralizing when you get a kick returned on you and he definitely showed he’s one of the best in league history to do it. That was a great pickup for the 49ers.

It’s preseason but it’s always a good sign when the offense comes out and scores three touchdowns, and a couple of field goals. Everyone says defense wins championships, but the team with the most points wins the game at the end of the day. When you have a defense like the one that is in place here – that is aggressive, gets turnovers, and makes the big play on 3rd down – you are going to get you opportunities as an offense and when you can take advantage of it and score points, that’s a good sign that this team is taking steps in the right direction.

Lastly, you’ve got a nice little battle going on at fullback with Zak Keasey and Moran Norris, and in this offense, it’s going to boil down for comfort zone for the coaches. Moran is a guy who was the lead blocker for the all-pro season that Frank had, and that carries some weight. But in this offense, do you need a guy to be that? In this offense, that guy has to be a lot of different things because Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker can do that. It’s more of an h-back and less of a fullback, so it’s a matter of which one of those guys does more? Which one is more valuable on special teams? That’s important because after giving up some big returns, that unit is in need of some more playmakers.

If you want to win football games, you’ve got to be efficient in two out of three things. Right now, the coverage teams aren’t playing at the level everyone is expecting. Defensively, things are going well. Offensively, it’s still not where they need to be either, and so you’ve only got one out of three going right now. You’ve got to get your teams going, and between Keasey and Norris, which one adds more to the teams? Because neither of those guys is ever going to be a threat on this offense. I think this one will be a tough call.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Morgan Enjoys 100-Yard Game

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4485

Veteran wide receiver Isaac Bruce made his much awaited preseason debut at Candlestick Park, but in the end it was the rookie out of Virginia Tech who stole the show.

Bruce played three series and saw only two off the mark throws come his way, while sixth-round pick Josh Morgan led the 49ers receivers for the second week in a row. Morgan also cleared the 100-yard receiving mark with 5 catches for 114 yards.

“I didn’t realize I had that many yards,” said Morgan. “ I was just out there trying to make all of the plays that I could to help my team win. We executed a lot better as an offense, and that’s fun when you do that. “

Notching a plus 100-yard receiving game is a feat that not a single 49ers receiver accomplished in 2007, and one that Morgan certainly wasn’t even considering when he joined a receiving corps that included Bruce, Bryant Johnson, Arnaz Battle and Ashley Lelie.

“I wasn’t expecting this coming in,” admitted Morgan. “But, I just tried to take advantage of playing with all of those vets and learning from those guys. Learning from all of those vets, you can’t go wrong as long as your are smart and try to soak up what you can learn from them.”

With injuries hitting all of those vets save Bruce, Morgan is getting an opportunity to display the talents he brings to the table, and he's running with it.

He’s caught several deep balls in training camp practices, but his 59-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter – the first of his NFL career - further legitimizes him as player who can stretch the field.

“It feels really good to have my first TD but you don’t think about it while you are out there,” said Morgan. “You are just having fun catching the ball and trying to make plays for the offense. You think about it afterwards and say ‘wow, I did all of that?’”

Morgan confessed to a lot of wow moments as of late, starting last Monday when the coaching staff let him know he’d be going against two of the most physical corners in the NFL on Saturday in Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

“It was a great challenge, a challenge I didn’t expect this early in my NFL career,” said Morgan. “They told me I’d be going against those guys and coming from college, you’re like ‘Huh?’ But going up against guys like that was a great challenge and a great opportunity. “

Morgan went without a catch in the first quarter, biding his time as he felt out his opposition.

“Once we ran a couple of pass plays I got a feel for them,” said Morgan. “Once you get that, you just dig in the tool bag and see what you can use on them.”

As warned, the Packers corners played physical, using their hands to bump the youngster off his routes. But Morgan used his own size and strength to defeat the jam at the line of scrimmage by Jarrett Bush and then blazed down the field for a 22-yard catch that set the 49ers up at the 3-yardline.

“They did a good job on me, but I just kept working at it, learned from it, and kept going," he said.

He kept going alright. Morgan then caught the long ball from O’Sullivan and used the stiff arm to ward off safety Atari Bigby and stay ahead of the hot pursuit by corner Will Blackmon for the score.

Frank Gore was already done for the night, but he got some extra running in along the sidelines as he cheered on the rookie.

“I was real happy watching that,” said Gore. “I think he’s going to be a great player in this league. He’s big, strong, fast and he’s got great hands. If he keeps working like he has been, he’s going to be a dominant player.”

Morgan appreciated the praise he received from his teammates, but he’s not getting ahead of himself.

“I’ll just go home tonight and say my prayers and thank god for all of the blessings he’s given me,” said Morgan. "I'll probably check in with mom because you always want to know how your mom is doing and what she thinks, but then that's it. Come back and keep working."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
QB O'Sullivan isn't a starter 'quite yet,' 49ers coach says

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_10232475?nclick_check=1

The 49ers' quarterback competition lives on, at least for another day.

Coach Mike Nolan announced Sunday night that there was "no decision yet'' about his starter for the season opener or, for that matter, for Thursday's third exhibition game against the Chicago Bears.

Nolan and his staff spent the day watching game film of the 49ers' 34-6 victory against the Green Bay Packers on Saturday.

J.T. O'Sullivan, the presumed front-runner, threw for 154 yards in one half and led two touchdown drives.

But the game film apparently failed to deliver the final scene of the quarterback saga.

"Not quite yet,'' Nolan said.

Instead, there were more hints — mostly more praise for O'Sullivan.

The quarterback played smarter than he did during the exhibition opener against the Raiders a week earlier, Nolan said. Against the Raiders, O'Sullivan had an interception and a fumble when trying to do too much.

Against the Packers, Nolan noted a few occasions when O'Sullivan resisted the temptation to take a risk.

"When you're competitive, you want to win every down, and that's a good thing,'' Nolan said. "But some downs you have a better chance than others. ... He's the kind of guy that corrects himself."

Alex Smith completed 5 of 12 passes for 62 yards in the third quarter. Shaun Hill was 2 of 5 for 21 yards in the fourth quarter.

O'Sullivan has had the bulk of repetitions with the first-team offense in recent practices and has started both exhibition games. That prompted a question Sunday about whether all three quarterback candidates are getting a fair shot.

"I feel good about what we're doing from a repetition standpoint,'' Nolan said.

Rookie wide receiver Josh Morgan continued to push for a starting role with five catches for 114 yards against the Packers, including a 59-yard touchdown pass from O'Sullivan.

Nolan said it's "too premature" to say whether Morgan has surpassed Bryant Johnson, who is sidelined by a hamstring injury, on the depth chart. "There's still a lot of time left,'' he said.

Tony Wragge played well for a second consecutive game at right guard, raising the question of what happens when David Baas (pectoral muscle) returns around the end of this month. "If nothing else, you have to feel good about the depth inside at guard,'' Nolan said.

Right tackle Jonas Jennings might have suffered a broken knuckle, but the X-ray results were unknown.

Newly acquired linebacker Takeo Spikes participated in eight plays. He appeared to blow an assignment on tight end Donald Lee in the end zone, but Nolan said the coverage belonged to the safety and the cornerback.

n Zak Keasey and Moran Norris remain neck and neck in the starting-fullback race, Nolan said

Dec 22, 2004
well its looking more like the JT era is begining and its sad because I am not impressed with dude at all I look at him like Kitna yeah he'll put up numbers but damn the mistakes also are gonna kill us his interceptions are like right to the DB's no tips or wrong bounces just wrong reads...And that scares me...For one I would Alex to get the nod he was starting to peak with Turner as the OC now with Hosler gone I think he could shine some more with Martz Im just not excited with Sullivan at all not impressed watch the games this year and without Morgan shining nothing except our D looks good..

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

well its looking more like the JT era is begining and its sad because I am not impressed with dude at all I look at him like Kitna yeah he'll put up numbers but damn the mistakes also are gonna kill us his interceptions are like right to the DB's no tips or wrong bounces just wrong reads...And that scares me...For one I would Alex to get the nod he was starting to peak with Turner as the OC now with Hosler gone I think he could shine some more with Martz Im just not excited with Sullivan at all not impressed watch the games this year and without Morgan shining nothing except our D looks good..
+1

I think Smith should start the next game so he can make a case for himself...

Mar 26, 2006
Morgan looks great I caught some highlights of the game, fantastic win!!

I saw alot of the Browns V Giants earlier on ESPN, Browns were unlucky and I like their QB he seems pretty good.

Also whats up with O'sullivan? he any good or just had an average game?

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

sullivan named the starter against chicago...what happened to giving each QB a chance with the first team???

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
T Jennings Broke Hand

http://www.49ers.com/blog49/?p=14

Tackle Jonas Jennings broke his hand in Saturday night’s game against Green Bay. He missed Monday’s afternoon practice to have surgery, and will miss Thursday night’s game against Chicago. Nolan said Jennings should be back for the final preseason game against San Diego.

T Barry Sims worked in his place on Monday.

“You have to be ready at all times,” said Sims. “Hopefully he gets better quick, but at the same time, I’ve got to do my thing. I will go in there when needed and I expect myself to be ready.”

Cornerback Tarell Brown returned to individual work after missing the game with a hip injury that kept him out of last Friday’s practice.

QB Kyle Wright missed practice with a sore knee.

Safety Lewis Baker (thigh), running back Michael Robinson (knee), wide receivers Arnaz Battle (hamstring), Ashley Lelie (calf) and Bryant Johnson (hamstring) remain out. G David Baas also remains on PUP.

SEEM JENNINGS ALWAYS HURT!!!!

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
JTO to get third consecutive start

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2253157

Quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan will get his third straight start to open the 49ers' exhibition season, but again coach Mike Nolan stopped short of saying O'Sullivan has won the starting job.

Nolan said O'Sullivan will start Thursday's game against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field because it's a short week and he wants to keep the rotation the same. Nolan also said that O'Sullivan has performed well enough to remain in the starting lineup.

O'Sullivan worked with the first team in practice today against the scout team, while Alex Smith took snaps with the second team. Third-string quarterback Shaun Hill ran the scout team against the 49ers' No. 1 defense.

All of O'Sullivan's work since Aug. 6 has been with the 49ers' first team -- a time that has included 11 practices and two exhibition games.

RT Jonas Jennings underwent surgery today on a broken knuckle on his right hand, Nolan said. Jennings will miss Thursday game against the Bears, but might be able to return to action in exhibition finale against the Chargers on Aug. 29.

WRs Arnaz Battle (hamstring), Bryant Johnson (hamstring) and Ashley Lelie (calf), as well as G David Baas (pec), RB Michael Robinson (knee) and S Lewis Baker (thigh) will not play this week. CB Tarell Brown (hip) might be available for Thursday's game, Nolan said.

No. 4 QB Kyle Wright did not practice due to knee swelling. No word on how that injury occurred.

BOTTOM LINE ON THE QB SITUATION: O'Sullivan is getting all the practice reps. On Thursday, he'll get his third start in the exhibition season. At this point, if anybody other than O'Sullivan starts the season-opener against the Cardinals on Sept. 7, it'll be a disservice to that player and the rest of the team. The number of reps in the offseason and through the first week of training camp are irrelevant. O'Sullivan is getting groomed to lead this team for the start of the regular season.

The rotation for Thursday's game is the same, Nolan said. So that means O'Sullivan will start and play the first half. Smith and Hill will finish out the game in the second half.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers' McDonald showing a lot of improvement

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_10239995

2007 3RD-ROUND PICK MCDONALD BOOSTS 49ERS' PASS RUSH

Ray McDonald's father was a receiver for the Florida Gators. His grandfather was a running back for Bethune-Cookman.

So how did Ray end up on the defensive side?

"I probably got my size from my mom's side of the family,'' he said with a laugh.

The 49ers are happy McDonald inherited the D-line chromosome. The 6-foot-3, 290-pounder has sacks in each of the first two exhibition games, raising hopes that the team's long-lost pass rush will finally reemerge.

The 49ers managed just 31 sacks last season; only Atlanta (25) and Carolina (23) were worse among NFC teams.

Against the Green Bay Packers on Saturday, however, the 49ers registered six sacks — including 11/2 by McDonald.

"I'm more focused this year. I know what I have to do,'' he said Monday. "Coming in as a rookie, I didn't really know what to expect. Learning a new defense, having to play a new technique — it was all new to me."

A third-round draft pick from Florida in 2007, McDonald made a minimal contribution (11 tackles, one sack). But he came back stronger and about 10 pounds heavier this season, giving him some strength to go along with the speed he inherited from his father's side.

McDonald demonstrated his power against the Packers, using a bull rush to embarrass 300-pound guard Jason Spitz.

"When you can beat an offensive lineman like that, you feel great,'' McDonald said. "And to get a sack at the end of it is an even bigger plus."

The Packers were seeing what the 49ers' offensive linemen see every day in practice. Guard Adam Snyder said McDonald has figured out "what he does best" in terms of using his strength and long arms to create havoc.

Tackle Joe Staley put it in more basic terms.

"Ray McDonald,'' he said, "is 20 times better than he was last year."

Right tackle Jonas Jennings will be sidelined for the game in Chicago on Thursday because of a broken knuckle on his right hand. Jennings underwent surgery Monday but is expected to return for the exhibition finale against San Diego on Aug. 29.

Jennings will wear a protective device on his hand for an undetermined about of time, but Coach Mike Nolan is hopeful that the equipment will not be restrictive.

It is the latest injury for Jennings, who has missed all or parts of games 32 times in 48 regular-season games since signing with the 49ers in 2005.

Three receivers will also miss the game Thursday: Arnaz Battle (hamstring), Bryant Johnson (hamstring) and Ashley Lelie (calf). The others declared out are guard David Baas (pectoral), running back Michael Robinson (knee) and safety Lewis Baker (thigh).

Cornerback Tarell Brown (hip) returned to practice on a limited basis.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Dive into Chicago Preparation

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4490

Head coach Mike Nolan said that the team will keep the same quarterback rotation for Thursday’s game, going with J.T. O’Sullivan first, Alex Smith second, and Shaun Hill third.

“The quarterback rotation will be the same for Chicago on Thursday. We have a short week to prepare, and I want to keep the team focused on the Bears,” said Nolan. “The starters will most likely play the first half, with the second unit coming in during the third quarter.”

The 49ers wasted no time diving into their preparations for the Bears, utilizing the scout team to replicate Chicago’s schemes during Monday’s afternoon practice in shells.

“We’re just at that point where we are getting closer to the regular season so you want to start easing into a normal work week,” said tackle Barry Sims. “Plus, it’s a short week with a game on Thursday already.”

Wide receiver Jason Hill said it’s a good opportunity for younger guys to start to get a feel for what the regular season will bring when it comes to actually game planning for an opponent.

“Once the season starts and we are installing, they throw the whole book at us, so this is good practice, and will give guys a better idea of the way Coach Martz does things,” said Hill.

While the first-team might retire at the end of the half, Hill expects to play almost the entire game, given the injury situation at his position and the limited use of Isaac Bruce.

“It’s great to get more opportunities to get timing down with the quarterbacks – whether it’s J.T., Alex or Shaun,” said Hill. “I love being out there. I’ve been prepping myself for this opportunity. I did hurt my groin in the first game but I was able to bounce back and I felt fresh last week in the game and I'm trying to make the most of my playing time.”

Hill used those fresh legs to escape his defenders on a few run opportunities in Saturday night’s game against Green Bay.

“I think those kind of plays are plays that I can do when I’m healthy,” said Hill. “This is a fast league, and so it’s difficult to make those plays when you are a wounded duck. It was good to be healthy and in that situation where I could make a play, and hopefully I can make some more.”

Highlights

Safety Dashon Goldson picked off a deep ball during 7-on-7 work, while cornerback Walt Harris stole a short pass in team.

Harris also had blanketed coverage to break up a deep Shaun Hill throw to Cameron Colvin.

Cornerback Shawntae Spencer earned a pass break up during team, while cornerback Marcus Hudson knocked down an Alex Smith ball during 7-on-7.

J.T. O’Sullivan connected on a handful of crisp passes during 7-on-7, including long balls to Vernon Davis and Josh Morgan. O’Sullivan also hooked up twice with Delanie Walker, although they were throws that could have gone either way. His first pass hit the wrong side of Walker's body, but the tight end was so open that he was able to readjust and make the catch. Walker also ended up with a ball that buzzed right through the hands of linebacker Dennis Haley.

O’Sullivan delivered his best throw on a touchdown bomb in the middle of the field to receiver Isaac Bruce, for the top highlight play of team periods.

Quarterback Alex Smith also threw a nice deep ball along the sidelines to Dominique Zeigler, who used great footwork to come down in bounds.

Seen and Overheard

The offense switched back to white jerseys this week with the defense suiting up in red.

Secondary coach Vance Joseph has been using a hand-held radio to give the signals to the safeties wearing the headset in their helmets. Per the new rule, one defensive player on the field can wear a headset, similar to the quarterback on offense.

One of those players experimenting with the headsets has been starting safety Mark Roman.

“It’s definitely something that needed to be done,” said Roman. ”It evens out the playing field a little bit, because offenses can’t check with you as much. When there was no headset, we had to corral guys on the sideline. Then we had to relay to guys standing in the huddle what the call was. Now, I can say it immediately and guys can start moving out. It helps us with everything, adjustments, it’s easier for us to get the calls in and it’s easier for us to make substitutions as well.”

Following the touchdown catch by Bruce in team, kicker Joe Nedney commented, “That’s something I hope we see a lot of all season long.”

The specialists ran a few gassers to keep themselves busy during practice, and then played a few kicking games. They also talked about important chores on their to do lists.

“I think one of these days I’m going to go get a hair cut,” said punter Andy Lee to Nedney.

After looking at the long hair poking out of the back of Lee’s hat, Nedney agreed that it might be a good idea.

Ron Fields and Aubrayo spotted some of the injured receivers wearing new black with yellow lined tights, prompting Fields to ask head athletic trainer Jeff Ferguson what happened to their tights.

"They needed extra time to make tights for you big guys," said Ferguson. "It could take them a while."

While the first-team offense worked against the defensive scout team, defensive coordinator Greg Manusky took linebacker Takeo Spikes to the opposite field for some one-on-one teaching. Spikes is still trying to get caught up after signing with the team last Sunday.

The Daily Drill

During one of the individual periods today, the offensive line worked on “smash” - a backside zone blocking combination between the guard and center on inside runs.

“We are basically double teaming the nose tackle to the MIKE linebacker,” said offensive line coach George Warhop. “We use it when the linebacker is not a fast flow player so we can try to double the nose and get him off the line.”

Although the first read for the running back might be to the outside, the offensive line always looks to provide additional running lanes for cutbacks, and this is the maneuvering that helps make that happen.

If the defensive line plays it straight, the center and guard will first double the nose, looking to move the tackle vertical up the field. Depending on which way the linebacker flows, either the center or guard will drop off the nose and then move out to go hit the linebacker.

“You’ve got to be square. If they turn their shoulders at all, they’ll never be able to adjust to the linebacker,” said Warhop. “Sight is also important. They can never lose sight of the backer or what is coming at them.”

If the nose does cross the center’s face, or if the defense runs a stunt, the guard will likely have a defensive end coming at them, one they should then help “bang back,” before getting to the linebacker. And that was the second part of what the line worked on during the period.

“If the d-linemen I start off working on runs away from me, he’s no longer a threat to me,” explained right guard Tony Wragge. “What is a threat at that point is usually going to be the defensive end.”

Wragge said he concentrated specifically on his footwork and his peripheral vision during the drill.

“You might have your hands on that nose but you want to have your eyes trained on what is coming from the other direction,” explained Wragge. “So, you’ve got to have good peripheral vision and spatial awareness.”

Wragge said the drill should help the line this week in Chicago, and throughout the season.
“We can get huge plays on those cutback runs if we block it right,” said Wragge. “Every defensive uses a different scheme and it’s just a matter of us being prepared and knowing what to do when we get into a game.”

Injury Update

Tackle Jonas Jennings broke his hand in Saturday night's game against Green Bay. He missed Monday's afternoon practice to have surgery, and will miss Thursday night's game against Chicago. Nolan said Jennings should be back for the final preseason game against San Diego.

T Barry Sims worked in his place on Monday.

"You have to be ready at all times," said Sims. "Hopefully he gets better quick, but at the same time, I've got to do my thing. I will go in there when needed and I expect myself to be ready."

Cornerback Tarell Brown returned to individual work after missing the game with a hip injury that also kept him out of practice on Friday.

Quarterback Kyle Wright was held out of practice with a sore knee.

Safety Lewis Baker (thigh), running back Michael Robinson (knee), wide receivers Arnaz Battle (hamstring), Ashley Lelie (calf) and Bryant Johnson (hamstring) remain out. G David Baas also remains on PUP.