Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
^ Get DA Fuck Out OF HEre Wit Dat Shit U Guys Act LIke every NiNers Fan Is Gay! Your Actting like str8 lil kids already Grow Da FUck Up!!!!! Raiders Fans Act Like They Dont Have a Gay Fan Base In Which They Do! but fuck all homos they get smash on by homies
damn... gettin hella butt hurt... lol

but that figures... I mean you gay Niners fan are probably used to gettin butt hurt... if you know what I'm sayin

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
nah... not a little kid bruh

just fuckin around... talkin shit for fun

As far as I'm concerned this shit is all in fun... I'll say the same type of shit to my boys who are Niners fans and we all know its just clownin... nothin serious

best believe when I saw that picture and article I had to show it to my Niners fan friends

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
San Francisco 49ersCamp Spotlight: DE Justin Smith

http://sf49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4458&section=PR News

Training Camp Tidbits
Best Camp Brawl: I’ve never had too many myself, but I’ve seen some in the locker room without helmets. That’s probably the craziest.

Weirdest thing anyone has ever brought to Camp: Brian Robinson, a defensive lineman in Cincy brought a hyperbolic chamber

Camp Ritual: Lay down and get a nap between practices

Camp Paranoia: Being late. I wake up every morning about 6 and sleep for about 20 minutes at a time until it’s time to really get up.
Camp Must Have: A fan, I’ve got to have my noise so I can sleep.

Hardest Camp Drill: Two-minute drill, you don’t get any breath
Night off routine: Just go home, relax and get away from it for 10-12 hours

Best Camp Prank: I always thought it was funny when we’d bring tow trucks in and tow all of the cars off, or when we’d put them up on blocks. Everyone is wondering where their rims are on and all of that crap. It’s funny.

Worst Camp Rookie Singer: They are all bad. Some guys could pass as just okay, but for the most part, they're all bad. That's why we play football.

Worst Thing about Camp: No time off your feet. You are always on your feet at practice or going to a meeting. There’s just no down time, and the days are long.
Best Camp Memory: The day Camp breaks is my best memory.

WHAT HE SAID
“It’s just a grind. You are here for a month and you are on lockdown. You get here about 7:30AM and leave at 10 or 10:30PM. It’s a long haul. If you feel like you want to live forever, just go to training camp because that’s how it feels. It’s a necessary evil to wear everyone down and then get them ready I guess. I just hope to come out of it healthy, and knowing this defense inside and out."

WHAT OTHERS SAID

"Everybody is still a work in progress, but he’s a heck of a guy. He’s very smart and he’s really very hard working. His approach to the whole game is relentless. I’m excited about a bunch of my guys and he’s obviously one of them. He’s been in the NFL for eight years and you’ve seen him be relentless for the last eight years so that’s not going to change." - D-line Coach Jim Tomsula.

Mar 13, 2003
aye that shit hot man...

I think you guys need to line up one of those GLAAD awards next to those though
As far as im concerned u will be allowed to talk shit when u get more superbowl wins than the 9ers.......Until then shut the fuck up! LOL

Last i checked Raiders werent doing any better than the 9ers...What sux for the raiders is that u guy's have had way better talent, and u still suck!!!! Just admit it! Cuz u know im not lying!

Aug 9, 2006
i see what hes saying.....all football teams are going to have gay fans.....but its only the niners that come from the "gayest city in the world" and are proud supporters of the homo nation....

there is MORE gay niner fans then any other team....its not even semi-hard to reliaze that.....

this is not me saying all niner fans are gay though.....

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers get a lesson in mental toughness from ex-UFC champ

http://www.contracostatimes.com/49ers/ci_10182184

Former UFC champ Rutten invited to training camp as a guest speaker
By Daniel Brown
MediaNews staff
Article Launched: 08/13/2008 10:15:23 AM PDT

SANTA CLARA — Looking to toughen up, the 49ers invited mixed martial arts fighter Bas Rutten to address the team Tuesday night.

Rutten, a former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight champ, was asked to deliver a message about conditioning and mental toughness. Rutten was the latest on a list of training camp guest speakers who have also included former White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, who spoke about how to deal with the media.

Rutten, 43, was born in the Netherlands and joked that he doesn't understand a thing about football unless his friends are there to explain the rules.

"Fighting is easy to understand,'' Rutten said. "You just hit the guy as hard as you can."

But at the invitation of coach Mike Nolan, Rutten said he planned to teach the 49ers a philosophy he considers universal to all sports.

"My message to them is about how to mentally deal with things,'' Rutten said. "Some of what I talk about will be conditioning of the body, but my belief is that everything starts with the mind. You win a fight not with your strength but with your mind."

Rutten, who is 6-foot-1, 205 pounds, met Nolan through mutual friend Jay Glazer, a Fox football reporter who has worked with Rutten during the network's Pride Fighting Championship Show.

Receivers ailing

Receiver Arnaz Battle was held out of practice because of a hamstring strain. Add him to list of
ailing receivers that includes Ashley Lelie (calf), Bryant Johnson (hamstring) and Jason Hill (groin).

Those injuries have opened the door for Josh Morgan to go from sixth-round pick to NFL starter.

"Could he? Sure,'' Nolan said.

The coach said it might be different if Morgan were competing against established players, but only veteran Isaac Bruce is proven enough to feel secure. Johnson, a six-year veteran, suffered a hamstring strain Aug. 4 and hasn't practiced since.

"Bryant Johnson is a very good player. We want to see Bryant on the field playing. I think he did a heck of a job in minicamp and the OTAs," Nolan said. "At the same time, if he's not out there performing, it's difficult to get ready for the first game. He's got to get back on the field. Otherwise, he's still an unknown commodity at game time."

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Nolan Offers Reward

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4464&section=PR News

Two days ago head coach Mike Nolan huddled up his team to light a fire in his lackadaisical offense. On Wednesday, Nolan did some more firing up of his players, but instead of admonishing them he offered them a potential reward.

“I’m going to apply some pressure on you guys,” Nolan said to his team. “How well we practice will determine if we practice this afternoon. I want it up tempo – ALL PRACTICE long.”

Nolan got what he asked for.

“I think we were already fired up for practice but when he told us that, I think it just added a bit more fuel to the fire,” said linebacker Patrick Willis.

Running back Frank Gore started off the drill with back to back sweeps out to his right, staying away from last year’s Defensive Player of the Year. Willis wasn’t deterred for long though. On the next play, he got a bead on backup DeShaun Foster, meeting him behind the line of scrimmage for an immediate stop for a loss.

Both sides of the ball enjoyed their good and bad plays during the run-heavy drill.

Safety Keith Lewis stripped the ball away from running back Thomas Clayton with linebacker Takeo Spikes recovering for the defense.

“It felt pretty good to make a play,” said Lewis who also notched an interception during 7-on-7. “Whenever you get the opportunity to make a play everybody wants to step up and make that play.”

But Clayton responded from his mistake a few plays later, putting a move on Lewis to get him off balanced. Clayton dashed right by Lewis and straight up the gut for a long run.

During the following run and pass team period, the units again traded highlight plays.

Quarterback Alex Smith put the ball on the money where only receiver Dominique Zeigler could get to it on his first pass of the session, but on the very next play he was intercepted by linebacker Dontarrious Thomas.

“I was in a zone drop and I was able to get back and set up in my zone and read the quarterback and make a good break,” said Thomas. “Anytime you make plays it’s definitely on the coaches minds, so it was a good thing that I was able to make that play.”

Thomas nearly got the next one too, but a slight moment of hesitation led to a completion to receiver Jerard Rabb instead.

Quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan delivered the most explosive play of the day with a deep touchdown bomb to rookie Josh Morgan, who got behind coverage by cornerback Walt Harris.

Whether to practice or not eventually came down on the shoulders of veteran kicker Joe Nedney. Although the field goal posts were over on the team’s turf field, Nolan had Nedney line up and kick with the promise that if it was good, practice this afternoon was cancelled

“Joe is consistent, that is the least of our concerns,” said K. Lewis. “ If Joe is kicking to determine whether we practice or not, that’s pretty much automatic. We knew we weren’t going to practice, there was no stress right there.”

Sure enough, the kick as ruled by Nolan and his staff went thru the imaginary uprights.

“We have had a pretty good camp so far and we’ve come out each day and worked to get better, and I think Coach has seen that,” said Willis of having this afternoon off. “A good deed never goes undone, and I think that’s what he was doing.”

Linebacker Manny Lawson said he plans to put the time off to wonderful use. In coming back from his season-ending knee injury, Lawson’s been working overtime to get back into football shape. He takes the majority of reps with the first-team defense, stays on with the second, and even chips in sometimes in the secondary.

“You can run all you like, but you’ve got to play football to be in football shape,” said Lawson. “So, I’ve tried to get as many reps as I could but I’m not going to lie, the afternoon off, that’s huge. Huge. We go hard every day and give it our all so to get some rest is great. My feet are very tired so I’ll be staying off of them and probably going to bed by 8 tonight.”

Little did they know that Nolan planned to cancel the practice regardless. He just wanted to make them work for it.

It was the last scheduled two-a-days of the 2008 Training Camp.

QB Track

O’Sullivan took the reps with the first-team for the fourth day in a row.

Asked by the media if they would be incorrect in inferring that O’Sullivan will start this Saturday against Green Bay, Nolan responded, “You would be incorrect.”

Smith and Shaun Hill took turns working with the second-team, marking the first team action that Hill has seen since Friday’s night game in Oakland.

The best of all of the series during the first team pass period was owned by Sullivan, who connected on 3 of his 4 passes.

Working from the opponent’s 25-yardline during a 7-on-7 period, O’Sullivan had two drives, while Hill and Smith each had one chance to reach the end zone in five plays.

O’Sullivan marched his unit in for a score with a couple of completions to tight end Vernon Davis, followed by a touchdown pass to Isaac Bruce on his final play.

Following an interception, Smith connected with Rabb for a score, while fullback Zak Keasey took a Hill pass and weaved his way across the goal line.

Nolan said his staff plans to meet this evening to discuss quarterback playing time for Green Bay.

Playing Time for Green Bay

In addition to making a determination on the quarterbacks for Saturday’s first preseason home game, Nolan plans to discuss the use of Isaac Bruce and Takeo Spikes.

Nolan said that running back Frank Gore will not play more than a quarter.

More Highlights

Linebacker Jeff Ulbrich forced and recovered a Delanie Walker fumble at the end of a passing play during the final session of team.

Safety Mark Roman broke up a potential O’Sullivan touchdown pass during skelley that was almost picked in the air. Safety Keith Lewis picked off an Alex Smith pass during the same period.

Wide receiver Isaac Bruce snagged a catch in the final team period, but as he made his turn to get up field for extra yards, he was smacked hard by safety Mark Roman and knocked to the ground. Bruce popped right up and still ran up the field.

Defensive lineman Joe Cohen shedded his block to snuff out a pass to DeShaun Foster in the backfield.

Seen and Overheard

Former 49ers athletic trainer Jeff Tanaka stopped by to watch practice, and was warmly greeted by several of the players including kicker Joe Nedney who ran over to give him a giant bear hug. Tanaka recently left to take a position with the Chicago Bulls.

O’Sullivan was involved in one of the more bizarre plays of practice, which occurred in the final team period. Cornerback Walt Harris burst up the middle on a blitz and batted O’Sullivan’s pass, but unfortunately right back at him. O’Sullivan then tossed the ball to Foster for a positive gain.

Secondary coach Johnnie Lynn explained to his guys after the play that it would have been an illegal forward pass.

“The quarterback can catch his own pass, but he’s got to run with it only,” said Lynn. “He can’t throw another forward pass. You only get one.”

Following Keith Lewis’ interception, Coach Nolan hollered out to Vance Joseph, asking him to make sure he and Lynn work with their guys on interception returns.

“Let’s get them to make a wall, and go,” said Nolan.

Safety Michael Lewis was over on the sidelines but yelled at Nolan, “Pitch it too?”

“Yeah, but not you,” said Nolan.

Cornerback Nate Clements provided an explanation of the exchange after practice.

“Michael is plain silly, and he’s always messing with Coach so I think Nolan just wanted to leave him out of the fun to get him back,” said Clements.

Lewis also messed with one of the official’s during the session when he felt that Isaac Bruce had pushed off Walt Harris for an offensive PI.

“Come on man,” said Lewis to the ref. “You sat right there and watched him try to throw my man and didn’t flag him?” asked Lewis.

And then to Bruce, “But, that’s a veteran move right there.”

Even though they spend all day together, sometimes it’s apparently nice to still stop and say hello.

Shaun Hill and Nedney seem to think so anyhow. As the players crossed over fields for team work, Hill slowed to say, “Hey Joe.”

Nedney immediately responded, “Hi Shaun!”

The Daily Drill contributed by Taylor Price

Under the supervision of Greg Manusky and outside linebackers coach Jason Tarver the outside linebackers typically work on a number of drills that emphasize the importance of squaring their bodies towards the line of scrimmage while working on their pass-rush. They also make it a point to practice catching passes from either the coaches or the juggs machine.

But on Wednesday, Manusky unveiled a new wrinkle when the group convened for individual work. The defensive coordinator had the players pretend they were playing in wet conditions by making them catch a wet football.

“I used to do it in when I was coaching in San Diego,” Maunsky said. “I get two balls painted, wet them down and it makes the guys focus on the ball more. They know it’s slippery, so they’re actually concentrating on trying to catch the heart of the ball.”

Before each throw from Manusky, equipment manager Doc Dressler would pour water on to the ball before it was thrown.

“It’s better than always throwing them a ball or using the juggs machine. It gets in their mind and they think about it. They really focus on the ball and see if they can catch it,” Manusky said.

The players didn’t mind the wet balls being thrown their way. They saw it merely as an opportunity to practice in tougher conditions.

“It’s one of the things as linebackers we try to improve on,” Manny Lawson said. “When we are coming out of a break, we’re trying to get our hands on the ball. Today we were playing in weather conditions, because you never know when it could be raining and you might have to catch a wet ball or your hands could be sweaty. There are all different kinds of conditions you have to catch a ball in.”

And being ready for those conditions could make or break a game.

“When the ball comes, you have to make a play on the ball. It’s all about being a play-maker,” he said. “You never know when an opportunity will present itself, and that one opportunity can decide if you win or lose the game.”

Injury Update

Wide receiver Jason Hill returned to action after missing the last days to recover from a groin injury he suffered in the Raiders game.

“It felt good,” said Hill. “I’m still a little bit sore. I felt a little fresher than what I was. It was good to get my legs back under me.”

Tackle Barry Sims filled in on the left side during the final team period, as Joe Staley got a once-over from the team’s medical staff. Staley got the green light and isn’t expected to miss any practice time.

Wide receiver Arnaz Battle missed today’s practice after injuring his hamstring in Tuesday’s morning practice. He is listed as day-to-day but Nolan indicated that he will most likely not play on Saturday against Green Bay.

T Jonas Jennings (ankle) rolled his ankle yesterday but was able to practice today with no issues.

WR Bryant Johnson (hamstring), WR Ashley Lelie (calf), S Lewis Baker (thigh), G David Baas (pectoral) and RB Michael Robinson (knee) remain out of action due to their injuries.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Alex Smith deals with tragedy off the field

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/014584.html

Alex Smith went 3 of 7 today with an interception, and everyone would agree that he's had a rough week on the practice field.
What hasn't been made public until today is that Smith has been having a devastating week off the field. On Sunday, Smith learned that his best friend, David Edwards, had committed suicide in San Diego.
The two had been friends since they were 14. Edwards, 24, took the same AP classes as Smith at Helix High. As a senior, he was the principal's assistant at Helix, meaning that Edwards and Alex's father, Helix principal Doug Smith, also were very close.
"He had a relationship with everyone in our family," Alex's mother, Pam, said today on the telephone. "He was at the draft with us. The first couple of years Alex was with the 49ers, anywhere Alex would go, David would go with him - the Super Bowl, everything."
In fact, the Edwards family requested that David's service be held in the Smith's backyard.
That service will be on Friday. Alex Smith will fly back for it and miss Friday's practice.
He admitted today that dealing with the news from home as well as his day-to-day duties with the 49ers has been difficult. After graduating from UCLA, Edwards was one of the friends who lived with Smith in his Los Gatos home. Edwards left last year to move back to San Diego.
"I talked to him on Saturday, our day off," Smith said. "I asked him if he wanted to come up for Saturday's game. He was going to come up."

Smith's loss is one of many to have hit 49ers' players in the last year and a half. Running back Frank Gore lost his mother, Liz, in September and then was dealt another blow when friend and former teammate Sean Taylor was murdered in December. Mike Nolan and defensive coordinator Greg Manusky both lost their fathers during the season.

It remains to be seen how Smith will be used in Saturday's game. Mike Nolan today said the rotation won't be determined until this afternoon, although the 49ers will not announce it until tomorrow. I would be shocked if anyone other than J.T. O'Sullivan started. Today Smith split second-team repetitions with Shaun Hill, the first time Hill has received any 11-on-11 snaps since Aug. 6. That may be an indication that Smith's absence this week will mean more game time for Hill on Saturday. All will be revealed tomorrow ....

49ers QB Smith deals with tough loss
http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/1155778.html

SANTA CLARA – When the 49ers go through their final preparations for Saturday's exhibition game against Green Bay, quarterback Alex Smith won't be there.

Instead, he'll be back in the San Diego area saying goodbye to his best friend.

On Sunday, David Edwards, who for two years was a housemate of Smith's at the quarterback's Los Gatos home, committed suicide in San Diego.

The two met in a summer school class when they were 14, Smith said Wednesday. Soon it was as if Edwards was Smith's brother, vacationing with the Smiths when he and Alex were teenagers.

Edwards, 24, took the same advanced placement classes as Smith at Helix High School in La Mesa. As a senior, Edwards was the principal's assistant, meaning he and Alex's father, Helix principal Doug Smith, also were close.

"He had a relationship with everyone in our family," Alex's mother, Pam, said Wednesday by telephone. "He was at the draft with us. The first couple of years Alex was with the 49ers, anywhere Alex would go, David would go with him – the Super Bowl, everything."

In fact, the Edwards family requested that David's service be held Friday in the Smiths' backyard in Bonita. Alex Smith will attend, and he will miss Friday's practice.

Coach Mike Nolan and his staff have yet to announce the quarterback rotation for Saturday's game, but it would be a surprise if anyone other than J.T. O'Sullivan started.

O'Sullivan took all of the first-team snaps in practice Wednesday, just as he has in every practice since Aug. 6. Smith and Shaun Hill divided the second-team repetitions. For Hill, it was his first time in an 11-on-11 session in a week, a signal that Smith's absence this week could mean more playing time for Hill.

Smith, meanwhile, admitted the news from home has been difficult to handle. He said he learned of the tragedy after the team's Sunday practice. He had a session with Bay Area media Tuesday but did not mention what had happened.

On Wednesday, Smith said he would call Edwards whenever he needed to escape football. Edwards ran cross country and played golf with Smith. The two participated in fantasy baseball leagues together.

According to Smith, Edwards also could talk about politics, music and other topics. And he always was available.

"I talked to him on Saturday, our day off," Smith said. "I asked him if he wanted to come up for Saturday's game. He was going to come up."

Smith's loss is one of many to have hit the 49ers in the last year and a half. Running back Frank Gore lost his mother, Liz, in September, and his friend and former college teammate, Sean Taylor, was murdered in November. Nolan and defensive coordinator Greg Manusky lost their fathers during the season.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Nolan Announces QB Rotation

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4468&section=PR News

Chrissy Mauck
August 14, 2008

Following a mid-morning walk-thru, head coach Mike Nolan announced the rotation for Saturday’s game against the Green Bay Packers – basically the same as last week.

Quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan will start for the second week in a row, followed by Alex Smith and then Shaun Hill.

The first units are expected to play most of the first half, although Nolan did say he'd let the game dictate the exact plays.

Wide receiver Isaac Bruce will play in the game, but probably only a series.

Running back Frank Gore was another starter who Nolan said probably would not play as long as the other starters.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Balmer's Rookie Diary, Preseason

Rookie Kentwan Balmer checks in again after playing in his first ever NFL game. Catch up with the 49ers first-round draft pick in his latest Rookie Camp Diary...

The first preseason game against the Raiders was exciting. It was the first time I put the uniform on, and the first time I’d been in a hostile NFL environment. When we were warming up, the fans were definitely heckling us – telling me I sucked and that Justin Smith should have gone to the Raiders. Most of the stuff, I can’t repeat. But they were having a good time and being good fans to their team.

It was my first NFL game ever last week – and not just playing. I played in an NFL stadium one time – at the Buccaneers stadium but the first NFL game I actually saw live was also the first game I played in. That was kind of a neat feeling.

The game is so much faster at this level. I’m one person who appreciates preseason because there is a lot you need to learn.

It was still the first quarter when I got in there. I wasn’t nervous because the older guys kept talking to me and keeping me level headed. I got some butterflies when I first ran out there, but it was mostly just a tremendous feeling. It was sort of like a reality check – you know – a “hey you are in the NFL now.” I don’t know if I had grasped how big it was until I got out there and got into the action.

I can’t remember the first play, but I do remember the second play. It was a stretch play and I got reached, but I was able to come underneath and make a tackle so Coach didn’t chew me out too much. He told me just to keep my head up and shoot my hands quicker.

I came in watched the game about three times before we really had to watch it as a group – just trying to see what I could do better and what tips I could pick up from that game to help me in the next. I graded myself pretty hard. I’d say I probably had a B minus. I wasn’t getting knocked around, but I felt like I could have shed my blocks faster and made some more plays.

I did play on special teams and I thought I did pretty good on that. I was the wedge captain on special teams.

Overall, there was a lot of good things done out there, but a lot of bad ones as well. I understand this is a long road and that I’m definitely not where I need to be so I’ll just keep working to improve in all areas.

My body was sore afterwards. It was a rough game. As I’ve said before, it’s not for the faint of heart. So I was banged up but I came in and got in the cold tub and the hot tub and then I was good to go. I try to play the tough guy routine like I’m not hurting, so I only get in usually about once or twice a week, but I definitely needed it after the game.

Other than that, I just sat around the room most of Saturday since we had off. My roommate was gone all day, so I just chilled alone, ordered some fried food via room service and watched some television. I moved around for a little bit later in the day and then just rested some more.

The last few days have gone by quickly. We had a couple of practices on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and they are kind of a blur.

Baas Reuben, a martial arts guy came in and spoke to us last night. It was interesting – very enlightening. I actually met him when I was training for the Combine and he’s a pretty cool guy. His message was basically about being mentally strong and focused. While our two sports might be different, he still believes that being mentally strong applies all across the board.

We practiced this morning and Coach Nolan basically pulled us together and told us if we went hard, he’d cancel practice. You come out here every day with the mindset to get your work done, and to grind and make yourself and the guy across from you better. But, it’s great to have a coach who does what is best for his players and rewards you for that work. He’s a very enthusiastic coach, yet he’s also very hard on us when he needs to be. I think he’s a great players’ coach and he gets guys to respond well because you don’t want to let him down. I haven’t been here very long, but that’s my take.

It works nicely for me because my mother and her best friend are coming in tonight, and so it gives me more time to spend with them. It’ll be nice to visit with them and relax. She’s coming in to see my game, which will be her first NFL game ever!

I’ll be back next week for another diary….