Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Afternoon update: Davis and Grant mix it up

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2252147

The afternoon practice was highlighted -- or lowlighted, whichever you prefer -- by a nice little swinging match between Vernon Davis and rookie linebacker Larry Grant.

The two went after each other at the end of a run play during 11-on-11 work. Jonas Jennings came over to act as a peacemaker, but Davis took an overhand swing at Grant. The two players were pulled apart and practice resumed.

But before the next play, Grant had to be removed from the lineup with an apparent injury to his ribs or stomach. A team spokesman said after practice that nothing is wrong with Grant -- he's OK now.

After the altercation, 49ers coach Mike Nolan and Davis spent some one-on-one time speaking together away from the rest of the team.

The 49ers did a lot of scout-team work today. QB J.T. O'Sullivan worked with the first group; Alex Smith played with the second unit; and Shaun Hill practiced with the scout team.

Smith ran the two-minute drill with the No. 2 offense at the end of practice. The team made it down to the 10-yard line, but a final-play pass intended for Cam Colvin went out of bounds. Smith was 4 of 9 on the drive.

Obviously, it's been a difficult week for Smith, who found out on Sunday that his best friend had committed suicide. Smith is scheduled to leave for San Diego this evening. He'll rejoin the team in time to play in Saturday's game.

After last week's game, many expected Smith to start Saturday against the Packers. But Smith will be the second quarterback into the game again.

"It's hard," Smith said. "I've talked to coach Nolan a lot this week and I think it's a difficult situation just with what happened. I think maybe he was looking to . . . I don't know. Maybe this could have been a different week, but obviously with this going on, it kind of puts things in perspective for me a little bit. And I'll come back and treat it the way I always have. Just focus in and take advantage of the reps I get and try to make the most out of them."

The 49ers announced the following players will not suit up for Saturday's game against the Packers: WR Bryant Johnson, WR Arnaz Battle, WR Ashley Lelie, RB Michael Robinson, G David Baas and S Lewis Baker.

LB Patrick Willis really wanted to hit someone today. During the padded practice, he was coming from the backside and anticipated RB Thomas Clayton cutting back toward the middle. Willis was right there. He gave Thomas a nice hit but you could tell that he could have destroyed Clayton had it been a game situation.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

i thought they wanted to give each QB the same amount of time with the starting offence??? Looks more and more like Nolan is still hurting from the feud with Smith last year...I'm starting to like this guy less and less...

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
X's and O's with Mike Nolan: Field Goal

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4476

Head coach Mike Nolan is busy getting his team ready for Saturday's first game at home against the Packers, but he did take a break to answer questions from our fans. Check out his latest installment of X's and O's.

Q: Hey coach, I noticed after the first week of pre-season games that a lot of coaches went for it on 4th down to help better evaluate their 4th down offense. Why not take a shot for the end zone last week to help the team’s quarterback situation and see if your quarterback can punch it in? I understand special teams is a part of the game as well, but it was more like an extra point than a field goal. -Nick C, Fresno
A: It is not just about the quarterbacks. We are trying to get better as a football team. When we first called time out our intention was to go for it since the scoreboard said fourth-and-one. When I looked at it on the field it was not fourth-and-one, it was fourth-and-three.

Usually when you get down in situations like that you will go for it. But the time on the clock plays a factor also. There was just 18 seconds left. If there was more time on the clock we would have gone for it. If we did not make it, the opponent would be backed up deep in their own territory and if we stopped them we would get the ball back in good field position. Since there was not a lot of time, if we missed they would just take a knee. So that benefit was gone. We felt it was best to get the points.

Q: Coach, I would first like to thank you for visiting the troops. The hardships we face out there every day can be stressful and to have people like you care makes the day easier to go through. I am a 21-year-old vet of Operation Iraqi Freedom and being in war brings a group of people closer. Now for my question, do you feel the struggles that you guys have faced last year after having such high expectations brought the team closer to achieve the goal of the playoffs this year? P.S. Just like I am always faithful to the Marines, I am always faithful to my 49ers. -Gregory C. Bell, U. S. Marine Corps
A: First, thank you for your service. I appreciate what you are doing and going through. I hope you are right. Certainly what we went through last season was not fun. I don’t want to go through it again. I hope our entire team can take note from last season and keep focused on one practice, one meeting and one game at a time. Football is the ultimate team sport. It takes all 11 games on each play to make the play work. If one guy does not do his job and the other 10 do it 100 percent right, the play still will not work.

Q: My question is, are you modeling the 49ers after the Ravens Super Bowl Team? I know you and Coach Martz are working hard on the offense, but it seems the defense is the group that is getting the free agents and higher draft picks and is therefore better. -Matt, Baltimore, MD
A: I have been asked that question before, and the answer is no we are not trying to build our team like the Ravens. Although I do hope we have a defense that dominates games, and that we win the Super Bowl like the Ravens.

We have used our draft picks on offensive players, Alex Smith, David Baas, Frank Gore, Adam Snyder, Vernon Davis and Joe Staley are just some of the draft picks on the offense. It is true that the defense usually progresses faster than the offense. That is probably why the comparisons to Baltimore are made. I would love to score 30 points a game. My hope is that our offense progresses and that we do score more points this year.

Q: With all the tension, the thing that gets me is, how can you or anyone expect a guy to succeed with the situation Alex Smith has been put in to? He’s never had decent receivers, arguably the worst o-line in the NFL throughout his career, and a new coordinator a new system every year. It seems as though the problem is either the inability of management to surround him with quality or it’s a matter of needing more time. What are your thoughts on the situation that has been handed to Alex? Who could succeed in that situation? What responsibility do you take for the lack of talent offensively? -Randy Brown
A: Some of what you ask is true. We have had four coordinators. In an ideal world we would be in year four with the same staff coaching our quarterbacks, as well as our entire offense. Unfortunately, Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner took head coaching jobs and last year our moves did not work out on offense.

I think those changes have had an effect on not only the quarterbacks but also on the entire offense. But adversity is part of this game and it is ultimately my responsibility to help our team overcome that.

We have added talent to our offense and will continue to add players who we feel can help us. We have done well in the draft with Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Joe Staley and then this year with the emergence of Josh Morgan. The receiver spot is an important area. I really think the group we have now is the best since I have been here. I mentioned before that all three quarterbacks have improved this camp. The talent around them is better for sure and I think that plays a role in why they have looked good in camp.

Q: Coach – I thought Alex Smith was pretty much on the run with that second group the other night. Don’t you need to see him have a shot with the first-team, now that he is healthy since you keep talking about his 7-5 record when healthy? You’ve always talked about him needing a supporting cast – well isn’t it time to see what he can do with one? Also, I still think you need some more depth in the interior of your line. That second group was a little shaky. Any further talks with Larry Allen? – Damon Bruce, PALO ALTO
A: Alex did some real nice things in the Raiders game. I was pleased with the way that we were able to move the ball. There is no doubt that one player alone will not take us to the promised land. It is a team sport and the supporting players do play a major role.

We are evaluating everything when it comes to our players, including all of our mini-camps, OTAs and training camp practices.

There is no doubt that it is difficult to get all three quarterbacks reps during practice. We have allowed each to work with the first group during practices and those sessions are being evaluated. I think at the end it will be more about what one of the guys did, rather than what one of the guys did not do.

I expect our line to get back to the form it had in 2006 when we finished sixth in rushing. I have been pleased with what they’ve done so far. We have not had any further discussions with Larry Allen at this point.

Q: Coach Nolan, I appreciate the fact that you take time out to answer as many fan questions as possible. This question may not be best directed at you (perhaps Scot McCloughan would be better to answer this question), but I was wondering why Alex Smith’s contract was picked up during the off-season. On the surface (perhaps I am reading too much into how many first team repetitions each QB is getting), it would appear that he is losing the QB battle to JT O’Sullivan. If this were the case, the Niners would be paying a lot of extra dollars for a backup QB. In fact, with the signing of Hill, we would be paying even more for a third string QB. What was the rationale behind picking up Smith’s contract? - Thanks. Best Regards, Harry Kuo
A: First and foremost, when we get on the practice field we do not look at the status of a player being a draft pick or a free agent. We do our best to evaluate what takes place on the field of play.

Alex Smith has talent and I have never wavered in my belief that he will have a solid NFL career. There was no question that we wanted him to be a part of the 49ers.

In some situations money forces your hand. That is a factor in the NFL. But we are not in that situation with our quarterbacks.

To ask a question, send it to [email protected]

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Bell: Alex Smith looking strong, but not smart

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=3530087

49ers quarterback Alex Smith had his season cut short last fall because of a shoulder injury. The natural question coming into training camp this year was whether Smith's shoulder had recovered enough from offseason surgery to position him to lead the team this fall. Well, the answer to that question appears somewhat complicated.

Smith suffered a Grade III shoulder separation in Week 4 of 2007, which means he disrupted the ligaments that anchor the acromioclavicular (AC) joint. The AC joint is where the most lateral point of the shoulder (the acromion) meets the collar bone (clavicle). This injury is common among quarterbacks because they constantly are being thrown or driven into the ground, with the point of impact being directly over the AC joint. The amount of separation is determined by the extent of ligament damage. A Grade III, or complete separation, is a complete disruption of the ligaments that support the AC joint. It often is initially treated non-surgically, unless pain or dysfunction prevents the athlete from returning to his prior level of competition (as was the case with Smith). Surgery is performed with the goal of stabilizing the joint, but the primary challenge for a throwing athlete after surgery is regaining adequate mobility to throw effectively. In addition to restoring normal motion, the athlete also must regain strength in his shoulder girdle. Smith had his surgery performed by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., and has been working his way back in rehab ever since.

Smith clearly has regained his shoulder mobility. His delivery is over the top of the shoulder, no matter how long the pass, so regaining that motion is particularly critical in his case. Although Smith recently has indicated he still is working on his arm strength for the deep ball, it certainly appeared in Sunday's practice that he could toss the ball down the field. If Smith felt the deep passes required more effort, it was not obvious. That's the good news. The less-than-good news is that Smith appeared to still be struggling. The limitations I observed appeared to have less to do with a shoulder that was recovering and more to do with decision-making and finesse. For instance, Smith delivered a couple of nice long balls on the day but seemed to struggle with the middle-distance passes. He appeared reluctant to give up the ball at times, situations that might translate into sacks in games.

The quarterback situation in San Francisco still is up in the air, according to coach Mike Nolan, who said that there are more practices before camp is over, providing the coaches plenty of time to determine who will start the season under center. But if Monday's practice was any indication of things to come, J.T. O'Sullivan spent the entire afternoon with the first team, while Smith remained with the second team.

The quarterback situation might be cloudy, but the running back situation sure isn't, at least not at the No. 1 spot. Frank Gore, the hard-running, hard-working back out of the University of Miami, looked fantastic in camp. Granted, he has had some significant injuries in the past, but he is perhaps stronger and more stable physically after going through rehab on both shoulders and both knees over the past few years. In 2007, he suffered a bad ankle sprain that bothered him from that point on throughout the season, but he showed no ill effects on the field. I did notice that both of Gore's ankles were heavily taped, perhaps as a proactive measure, but he looked sharp cutting and darting through the defensive sets. And he ran hard. He ran through the plays, beyond the whistle, perhaps more intensely than any player I can recall watching recently. He also caught numerous passes out of the backfield, perhaps a sign of more to come with new offensive coordinator Mike Martz in the mix.

The 49ers are dealing with a couple of other injuries. Michael Robinson, who stepped in last year while Gore was out, injured his knee (torn meniscus) early in training camp and underwent a scope to address the issue. The injury itself did not appear to be terribly serious, but rehab following such a scope typically translates to a four- to six-week recovery period. Matt Maiocco of The (Santa Rosa) Press Democrat reported that Robinson has been doing quite a bit of stationary biking (which works on joint motion minus the impact) and is hoping to resume light running within the week. Bryant Johnson, the wide receiver who moved over from the Arizona Cardinals, currently is out with a right hamstring strain. Johnson injured the hamstring running a route Monday, and it sounds as if the 49ers are taking a cautious approach, indicating that Johnson is not expected to return for next week's preseason game. Better to get it healthy now so his services are available during the season. We have seen time and again how hamstring issues can linger, especially for running backs and receivers, so the Niners can't be faulted for playing it safe.

Finally, things have been shaken up just a little on defense. Linebacker Takeo Spikes, who was released by the Philadelphia Eagles in March and is trying to recover from major shoulder surgery, was just signed by the Niners. He passed his physical before signing, so the shoulder must be in good shape. He will complement Patrick Willis in what looks to be a solid linebacking corps.

Nov 27, 2006
O’SULLIVAN NAILING DOWN THE NINERS’ GIG?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2008, 12:48 a.m.

Based on his performance during the San Francisco 49ers’ second preseason game, at home against the Packers, the Associated Press seems to be handing the starting quarterback job to the guy whose named could launch a string of crappy casual dining restaurants.

But, as we see it, J.T. O’Sullivan’s performance against the Packers was hardly dominant. He completed less than half of his throws (eight for 17), and threw an interception on the Niners’ third drive, giving him three turnovers in seven preseason drives. O’Sullivan’s play improved once members of the Packers’ starting defense began to leave the game.

In contrast, incumbent Alex Smith completed five of 12 for 62 yards. Given that Smith has been dealing this week with the suicide of his best friend and wasn’t with the team on Friday, Smith’s performance can hardly be called poor.

Though the signs are likely pointing to O’Sullivan, Saturday night’s game was hardly definitive.
J.T O'Sullivan???? Really 49'ers, is this what your once storied franchise has become? Montana, Young and........O'Sullivan?

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Josh Morgan is shining so far.
Yeah wasn't he pretty good at Virginia Tech? I saw on the 49ers preaseason edition on CBS that he slipped so far in the draft because teams thought he had character issues. He might become the 9ers best receiver on their roster this season.

ALL BOUT CHICKEN

Allez Les Bleus 🌟🌟
Feb 27, 2006
Paris, France
www.fubuoverstock.com
^ yeah, he did pretty good at tech. he wasn't as good as eddie royal, or justin harper, but he still performed well. i didn't see how he's been contributing to the niners, but at tech he seemed to be the more physical receiver out of the group, who was willing to go over the middle.

he could also contribute on special teems if needed. if i remember correctly, he might've blocked a kick or two...

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
Training days: 49ers' QB could shoulder stress to win now

Pat Kirwan By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com
Senior Analyst
Paul Sakuma/Associated Press

Former No.1 pick Alex Smith (11) is facing stiff competition for the starting QB spot.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Coach Mike Nolan and his staff put out the welcome mat when I arrived here for the 49ers' summer camp.

I was permitted in the drill areas and the team periods of practice in order to get a closer look at the 2008 team. After practice, I sat down with Nolan, general manager Scott McCloughan, safety Michael Lewis, running back Frank Gore, defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer, tight end Vernon Davis, returner Allen Rossum, linebacker Patrick Willis and quarterbacks coach Ted Tollner to talk about the team and the 2008 season.

The 49ers are still very committed to the 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense with an emphasis on the 3-4. The acquisition of Justin Smith in the offseason gives them a player who can handle the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker, which is critical to the hybrid defensive looks. Smith is an upgrade from Tully Banta-Cain, who was brought in last year to do the same thing. As Willis says, "We all feed off Justin's wild style and it was something we needed on the field."

Willis also told me he will not be wearing the audio system in his helmet like many of the middle linebackers in the league; that responsibility will fall on the shoulders of one of the safeties.

Why mess with a good thing? That is the way I look at it, because Willis last year was credited by the 49ers coaches with 226 tackles. That worked out to be 14 tackles a game for a rookie linebacker. Lewis said that practice has been especially challenging with all the vertical passing that new offensive coordinator Mike Martz has been throwing at the defense.

It looks like the defense is well ahead of the offense at this point in the camp process for three reasons: 1) The defensive package was installed last season and most of the players are familiar with it (as opposed to the Martz offense, which is new to most of the offense); 2) the 49ers receivers are beat up and limping around, and aren't able to attack vertically until they get some rest; and 3) the 49ers line is struggling with the fire-zone blitz package that Nolan is throwing at the offense, even though the offense claims to welcome the blitz.

Davis is one player that seems to welcome the pressure defenses, and was impressive at practice. A year ago, Davis looked lost at times, but this summer the former first-round pick looks ready for his breakout season in the new offense. He believes he's capable of 80 receptions in this offense and I have to agree with him after watching practice.

Here are some of the issues surrounding the 49ers that left an impression on me as I wrap up my camp tour stop with San Francisco:
1. Who is the quarterback of this team?

No team wants to have a quarterback controversy dominating the summer camp, but the 49ers find themselves in a three-way battle for the signal caller's job. This debate could eventually separate the building into two camps. Journeyman J.T. O'Sullivan knows the Martz system and appears ahead of former first-rounder Alex Smith. If the Niners start O'Sullivan, does it spell the end for Smith as a 49ers quarterback? With another few weeks of time in the Martz system, will Smith's light go on or should Martz modify his system to fit the former No. 1 overall pick? It sounds like installing the Martz system on schedule is more important than figuring out which quarterback helps the most in the long run.

There is stress to win this year and the coaches know a fast start is critical to their survival. Last year, the team got off to a 2-0 start, but came right back with an eight-game losing streak. A fast start is great, but a solid finish is more important. The players don't seem divided on the quarterback issue (yet), and it may come down to the club being prepared to play both men.
2. Does the team have enough receivers for Martz's offense?

On the day I was here, the afternoon practice was eliminated as a reward for a solid morning workout. Good thing for the receivers, who were down to five men who could actually go without limitation. The Martz system calls for a large number of deep routes in practice every day, and it wears down the players quickly. One player who has distinguished himself through this tough regimen is rookie Josh Morgan. He has size, speed and burst to close on deep balls. Receivers coach Jerry Sullivan, one of the best in the NFL, feels as if there are some similarities between Morgan and the Cardinals' talented receiver Anquan Boldin. Among the other new faces, veteran Isaac Bruce knows the system and has a history with Martz. Bryant Johnson should contribute, but I like Morgan to be the key player.
3. Is Davis on the verge of a Pro Bowl season?

Davis has looked lost early in his career, and last year emerged as a solid player with his 52 receptions. This summer, he seemed very focused and dedicated, which will help him take the next step in his career. Davis looks like he gets the option route principles, and could be on his way to a 70-plus reception season and a berth in the Pro Bowl.
4. Can the 25th-ranked defense improve this season?

The defense has to find a way to elevate its game in 2008. Last year, it struggled against the run and the pass, ranking No. 22 in the NFL in both categories, and 25th overall. The practices suggest a more aggressive approach, but I would like to see more pressure from the defensive line. The loss of retired lineman Bryant Young can't help the plan to turn things around, but the concept of moving in and out of the 4-3 and 3-4 will cause problems for opposing offenses, as will the additions of Smith and Takeo Spikes. The offense has to help this defense if they want to move up significantly, but after watching practice I like the Niners to be better on defense.

Balmer will be the third or fourth tackle in a defensive line rotation. When speaking to him, I got the impression he might be a work in progress and serve the team better as a backup rather than as a starter.

Offensive lineman Chilo Rachal was thought to be a tackle candidate, but that plan looks like it has fizzled and now he has slid over to guard. The Niners are rolling through a number of players at the right guard spot, but I would be willing to guess Rachal will find his way to the field in September.

Defensive back Reggie Smith is probably fighting for a nickel/dime corner spot on the roster, but only time will tell if he has the speed and skills to cover.

Wide receiver Josh Morgan can play!

Finally, the Niners appear to have enough weapons to stay in the hunt all season long, but there are issues surrounding this team that start with the culture in the locker room, especially if there is some losing early in the season. A coach who may be on the hot seat could cause some struggles, but I believe this team can go 7-9 or 8-8. If they do and the young players show growth and development, it could and should save Nolan's job, so he can continue what he started in the rebuilding project.
we looked hella good against GB today

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
49ers to leave Santa Clara, sort of?
Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 21:37:57 PT | Recommend | Print | del.icio.us | Digg It
By James Darnell

It has been widely publicized that the San Francisco 49ers are in talks with the City of Santa Clara in regards to a possible stadium relocation to escape the dwelling that once was a football mecca in San Francisco's Candlestick Park. The team is also contemplating purchasing Great America theme park, which is adjacent to the 49ers' current headquarters and practice facility in Santa Clara. But with all these efforts, it seems as if the team could be attempting to actually leave the city - partially.

According to sources within the organization, the 49ers are discussing the possibility of changing the location of their training camp. One of the rumored destinations could be in the Sacramento area.

Though a specific site has not even begun to be thought of, the team would certainly welcome a return to the area. Before setting up shop in Santa Clara in 2003, the 49ers had camp stints in Rocklin and Stockton, respectively. So the feat is completely feasible. Being feasible and being practical are two completely different things, however.

If the 49ers and the City of Santa Clara do come to terms with and build a new stadium, it would give the team a true central location, with every working area in the same vicinity. Convenience would be a given for the entire 49ers' organization. But there is a valid argument to be had for the moving of training camps and practices. The team cited their time in Rocklin as being ideal for the players during times of practice, due to the lack of off-field distractions and the boot-camp like vibe it provided. So basically, the risk of a 49ers' player doing his best Adam "PacMan" Jones impersonation would go way down.

In the Bay Area however, the potential for trouble is always a concern. No one is suggesting that such things occur, but the thought of a more professional approach to training camp is appealing. Considering the 49ers' last playoff appearance came in the 2002-'03 season - just months prior to the moving of team headquarters into Santa Clara from the University of The Pacific in Stockon - it gives you food for thought.

One major reason for the team not moving however, is the same as it would be for any business - money. While the team may be exploring its options, part of that analysis is deciding whether or not a move is worth relocating everything from football equipment to computer networks. If a move was made, the team would assume or even know that the profits made in the new location from fans and other resources would be worth the hassle.

At this point however, it is all just a rumor. When contacted, a 49ers' representitive responded as saying "We do not know of any future plans in regards to the 49ers moving training camp".
hope not