Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Nolan Names O’Sullivan as Starter

http://www.49ers.com/blog49/

August 22nd, 2008
Head coach Mike Nolan is on a 3pm conference call with local reporters right now, and the big news is that Nolan just named J.T. O’Sullivan as his starting quarterback. Nolan said that it was a unamious decision among himself, general manager Scot McCloughan, offensive coordinator Mike Martz and quarterbacks coach Ted Tollner to go with O’Sullivan.

O’Sullivan started all three of the 49ers preseason games including last night’s game against the Chicago Bears. His 7 of 8 completions for 126 yards and a 37-yard touchdown strike to Jason Hill built a 13-10 early second quarter lead for the 49ers.

Shaun Hill and Alex Smith began camp sharing reps with the first-team, but about a week into things, the coaching staff began to grant increasingly more opportunities to the off-season free agent acquisition.

“This is not a case of Shaun or Alex not playing well,” said Nolan. “This is a case of J.T. O’Sullivan performing very well.”

Nolan said that Smith will be the second-string quarterback with Hill as the third.

O’Sullivan, a former sixth-round pick by the Saints in 2002 out of UC-Davis has spent time with several NFL teams including the Packers, the Vikings, the Patriots, and then played last year for Mike Martz in Detroit.

“J.T. was as he normally is,” said Nolan of sharing the news with O’Sullivan. “He was just listening to what I had to say. But, I could tell he was pleased with the decision.”

Nolan believes that guard David Baas will practice this week. Baas has been on the PUP list since camp started as he recovered from surgery on his torn pectoral injury. Nolan didn’t have an injury update on Adam Snyder, but he said he’s 60-40 that the other injured players, even running back Michael Robinson could practice this week.

Nolan said that returner Allen Rossum was sore today after suffering a chest injury in Thursday night’s game. Nolan has yet to speak directly with the 49ers head athletic trainer Jeff Ferguson, but he would expect Rossum to play in the final game against the Chargers.

The team will practice on Saturday at 1PM and then have Sunday off.

Nolan was asked about Mike Martz being on the field to call the plays the last two week. He said it’s really a question for Martz to answer in terms of how things are going.

He was also asked about the Zak Keasey stop of Devin Hester on a punt return in the end zone. Officials ruled it a touchback instead of a safety. Nolan said that he hasn’t been able to watch it yet, but he doesn’t believe the call was accurate. He said he thinks that the ball should have either been a safety or spotted at the two.

Posted in Breaking News

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
That Niner offense has been looking real good these last few weeks... Mike Martz must be one hellava a coach. That's the best offense I've seen from the Niners in years. Y'all gotta work on that D though. Offense looks Mike Martzish... 37 points? Whew....

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
But Oakland's d wasn't havin' that. You gotta give credit to our defense though mayne...

We might not see too much from your offense in San Diego. They may keep it vanilla in prep for the Cardinals. But you can see a huge difference with the Niner offense. I guess it's official now... Alex Smith is a bust.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Nolan said he still has a lot of confidence in Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. Smith will be the backup and Hill will be the No. 3 QB.

--Nolan said there is no thought to cutting Alex Smith. He said the organization has not had that discussion.

--Nolan said he met with each of the quarterbacks individually about an hour ago (around 2 p.m.) to inform them of the decision. He said JTO was quiet when he told him the decision. He said both Alex and Shaun handled it about as well as they could. He stressed the importance of their backup roles with the team.

--WRs Arnaz Battle, Bryant Johnson and Ashley Lelie might be back (probably two of the three will be back) for the final exhibition game. Nolan said he'll want to get that first-team offense a little more work that usual in the final tuneup.

--G David Baas is expected to practice this week. Nolan is not sure about Adam Snyder or Jonas Jennings. Also a chance that RB Michael Robinson could return to practice in the coming week.

--When asked if Alex Smith will be considered a bust? "The perception is wrong if that's the perception," Nolan said. He said Alex is getting better and better. He's getting a lot of detailed-coaching by a detailed coach (Mike Martz). Nolan said he has a lot of confidence in Alex. He said Alex is optimistic about his possibilities of becoming a good quarterback.

--"We want to play our best players to give us the best chance to win," Nolan said of the quarterback position. Nolan said of Smith, "He's just not there at this point." This is a case of J.T. O'Sullivan playing very well, not Smith and Hill underperforming.

--Nolan said yesterday coming back on the flight was when the club solidified the decision to go with O'Sullivan.

--Said he spoke to each QB and told them that he's backing O'Sullivan "100 pecent" and he expects him to succeed. But everyone has to stay ready to be able to do their very best, if a situation arises and they're needed.

--When asked if this was a decision he had to explain to the Yorks, Nolan said ownership has been kept abreast of the QB competition throughout. They have been fully aware of what's been taking place. The Yorks had no say in the QB situation.

--Nolan said he's not sure Allen Rossum (back) will be out. He's pretty sore today, and might miss a practice or two. He should be able to play in the next game.

--As for the game last night, Nolan said it's good they got a win. Helps the team learn how to win. Putting points on board to show offense is getting better. Offensively, moved the ball well. Thought all three QBs did a good job. Ran the ball pretty good. Everybody played hard.

--Defensively, gave up some big plays. Weren't as detailed on responsibilities on pass plays as they should've been. Disappointing they didn't execute as well as usually do, Nolan said.

--Special teams, coverage units, were a concern. Need to make those tackles. When you get a return man pinned down, have to make those plays. It wasn't a case of a bunch of backups. Those guys will be players during the regular season.

QB COMPARISON

J.T. O'Sullivan 20 of 33 (60.6 percent) for 351 yards (10.6 yds per attempt) with 2 TDs and 2 Ints. Passer rating of 91.8. (13 drives: 27 points; 3 TDs, 2 FGs, 2 Ints, 1 fumble).

Alex Smith 16 of 38 (42.1 percent) for 196 yards (5.2 yds per attempt) with 1 TD and 0 Ints. Passer rating of 67.4. (11 drives: 27 points; 3 TDs, 2 FGs, 1 blocked FG).

Shaun Hill 18 of 32 (56.3 percent) for 164 yards (5.1 yds per attempt) with 0 TDs and 1 Ints. Passer rating of 57.3. (10 drives: 16 points; 1 TD, 3 FGs, 1 Int).

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers Cut Five

http://www.49ers.com/blog49/?p=24

With the NFL’s 75-man cut down deadline on Tuesday, the 49ers went ahead and waived five players early Saturday.

The 49ers waived second-year DT Joe Cohen, first-year TE Cooper Wallace, rookie S Lewis Baker, rookie QB Kyle Wright and rookie G John Booker.

Cuts always suck. You just hope that some guys get brought back on the practice squad and get another chance, or land somewhere else.

The players are taking the field right now for a half hour walk thru. We’ll be getting video of the guys afterwards - probably mostly about yesterday’s news on JT O’Sullivan as the starter. So, check out TV49 later today.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Q&A with QB Alex Smith

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4519&section=PR News

August 23, 2008

Q: Obviously the news you heard yesterday wasn’t what you wanted to hear, but is there a silver lining that you can take out of it?
A: I don’t know, it’s hard. I guess for now this is a new role for me, I get to watch another guy play. We are getting different reps, obviously a different role for me. I’ll adjust with it and continue with my development, continue getting better, continue coming to work every day motivated. I can’t let that stop me, I can’t let that get to me in my progress and where I want to go. I’m going to continue to work and get better with this.

Q: Does this deflate your confidence when something like this happens?
A: I just can’t let it. I can’t. I won’t. I’m going to continue what I’m doing, helping this team getting better every day, coming out here, coming to work, being a part of this. As a two, you’re only one play away. I got to continue to be ready getting better with this, learning the system. I’m sticking with it.

Q: Coach Nolan said yesterday that although you were disappointed, that he felt you were very optimistic about your chances of being a really good quarterback in this system, do you feel that way?
A: I like a lot of what this system does and what Coach Martz brings to the table with this system, how detail-oriented it is. I think that is something that suits me, how disciplined it is. I’m young still and like I said, you never know. It’s a long season and obviously I’m going to be there and be prepared if anything happens and help this team continue to get better. And with my role, get better every day.

Q: Obviously there are a lot of factors involved here, do you or your agent at this point go to the 49ers and say…
A: Haven’t even thought about that. I haven’t even talked about that. It’s not even in my thinking right now. I don’t know if it will come to that, but right now I’m just thinking about this new role and what I need to do and continue coming in to work.

Q: What do you think your future is with this team?
A: I’m not thinking about that right now either. It’s too far down the line. When that time comes, I’ll deal with it. I’m just focused on here and now.

Q: How can this motivate you in a positive way?
A: You have to use it as that, use it as motivation to continue to push myself to get better. Prove to people, prove to myself that I can go out there and play and play well in this league.

Q: Do you have to prove it to yourself or is it more to others at this point?
A: I know I can, it’s a matter of doing it and just the little things, continuing to learn this offense, continuing to learn what we’re trying to do, executing it. That’s part of the deal.

Q: Do you think this is the offense that best suits you?
A: There are a lot of aspects of it that I think really fit with me like I talked about, the discipline and the details of it, the trust that comes into this are things I think suit me. It has been hard, the year to year to year, learning a new system. Hopefully you get to the point where you get to stick with something for a little bit at least and you hope to master it and get to a level where you can play at a high level. That’s the goal.

Q: Is your arm all the way back from shoulder surgery?
A: Yeah, I feel good out there. I think there may be some lingering things that I continue to work out from the workload that I have now. It’s hard to simulate that kind of throwing or that kind of pitch count, so to speak for the last few weeks. My arm feels good, I feel good where I’m at right now, especially having gone through camp, that’s the major load of throwing we’ll get all season. To go through that and where I’m at right now, I’m feeling really good about it.

Q: Do you think you got a fair shot to win this job even though you didn’t start any preseason games and didn’t get to work much with the ones?
A: Yeah, we all got our reps. We all got our turns all the way going back to mini camp. It’s just the way it worked out. I still got reps out there. I still got looks. We all kind of split it up. It’s just the way it worked out.

Q: In your mind, what could you have done better?
A: I think part of that would be better to ask Coach Martz. In my mind, I think early on, maybe a better job of picking up the way the offense worked but that took a little while. As far as seeing it and understanding it in those reps. It’s hard though, I came to work prepared. I felt like I put a lot into this, studied more than I’ve ever studied in getting into this playbook and really trying to understand it. I don’t know if I have any regrets, I felt like I pushed myself as hard as I could.

Q: You say you were treated fairly, but isn’t there a big difference in playing with the ones and playing with the twos?
A: There is, I think there is differences. But I think Coach Martz understands that and Coach Nolan understands that. I think they try to evaluate with that in mind, knowing who you are out there with. Coach Martz has a good sense of understanding that and evaluating the position regardless of who is out there. I think that’s the way I tried to take it. I tried not to think about who I’m taking reps with or who I’m going against, and go out there and execute my job and my responsibilities.

Q: What kind of relationship do you have with Coach Martz?
A: It’s the same it always has been, as coach and player we’re good. I respect him a lot and I try to pick up as much as I can from him. I’m constantly trying to take in what he’s trying to talk about and I’m trying to pick his brain and get an understanding for what he’s trying to communicate and get across to us. Continue to sponge up as much as I can.

Q: At some point down the line are you taking this as it’s going to be beneficial to you?
A: I have to take it like that. I’m going to use it as motivation, as a tool. In some ways I may benefit from this and come out the other end. That’s the way I’m looking at it now. Right now I’m focused on continuing to get better every day and come in to work and really improving and not letting this enter my thought process or my work ethic. I’m coming to work with the same attitude and the same hunger.

Q: If you had as much experience with this offense as O’Sullivan, would you be starting right now?
A: Potentially, that’s probably a better question for Coach Martz and Coach Nolan right now. Potentially that would play a role, the more familiar you are with the system I think that does make a difference.

Q: Do you think you’re ready to play all 16 games?
A: I think I could, absolutely. But I think that’s not the question, it’s a competition between the three of us and they’re evaluating the three of us. That was the goal of all of this.

Q: How hard is it to be the number one pick and after four years having to be the backup?
A: It’s not easy, but it’s part of the deal. Playing football, there’s up’s and down’s in this game. Everyone goes through it. Like I said, it’s a new role for me and I’m going to take it on and do the best I can with it.

Q: Do you look at it like the competition is going to continue into the season?
A: I take it in as what it is. JT is our starter and I’m the two. I’m going to continue to get ready and prepare knowing that I am one play away. I’m familiar with that and have obviously gone through it and have experience last year with that. Things can change fast, so that’s the way I’m taking it.

Sat. Practice Notes
http://www.49ers.com/blog49/?p=26

Running back Michael Robinson did do some individual work on Saturday, his first action since having his knee scoped early in camp.

Wide receivers Ashley Lelie and Arnaz Battle also worked on a limited basis.

Linebacker Jeff Ulbrich took part in individual drills after being forced out of the game against Chicago with a lower back strain. Returner Allen Rossum was also forced out of the game with a chest contusion, and he did not work on Saturday.

The team is off on Sunday and will return to work on Monday.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Injury updates ...

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/014834.html

Mike Nolan said he expects all his players to be ready for practice when the 49ers begin preparing for the regular-season opener next Monday. A couple of players, however, appear to be bigger longshots than others.

Adam Snyder has a high-ankle sprain, an injury that usually takes weeks to heal. If he is slow to recover, the 49ers might be tempted to move Tony Wragge to left guard.

Bryant Johnson also is making a slow recovery from his Aug. 4 hamstring pull. Ashley Lelie (calf) and Arnaz Battle (hamstring) participated in some individual drills today but Johnson remained out. There's a possibility that Lelie and Battle could play in the preseason finale Friday. Nolan said there might have to be a bit of a rotation at receiver, especially early in the season. That's not ideal, but it's not as big a deal in Mike Martz's system where the routes are so precise. That is, there is less room for individual differences from one receiver to the next.

Johnson joins Snyder, Jonas Jennings (knuckle) and Allen Rossum (back) as players who are definitely out Friday. With Rossum out, it raises the question as to who will return kicks and punts. Robert Ortiz has been the back-up punt returner but Nolan said that if Battle is healthy, he could get a couple of opportunities. At kick returner, Delanie Walker has done it in the past, and Josh Morgan has done it in practice.

Baas, Robinson, Lelie, Battle could return Monday
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2254988

Coach Mike Nolan, appearing much more loose and relaxed than he's been since the opening of training camp just met with the media following practice.

Can you guess why, perhaps, Nolan seemed more at ease? He did not field one question today about the identity of his starting quarterback. Whew.

--The 49ers expect WRs Ashley Lelie (calf), Arnaz Battle (hamstring), RB Michael Robinson (knee) and G David Baas (pec) to return to practice Monday. LB Jeff Ulbrich, who sustained a lower back strain Thursday against the Bears, did some individual work and should be ready to practice, too.

--Nolan said he expects Snyder to be available next week. Nolan said the team will keep Tony Wragge at RG for now.

--However, WR Bryant Johnson (hamstring), LG Adam Snyder (high ankle sprain), RT Jonas Jennings (hand) and RS Allen Rossum (back) are tentatively not expected to be available for Friday's exhibition finale against the Chargers.

--If Rossum is unable to play, Arnaz Battle could get some action in the return game. First-year player Robert Ortiz made a fair catch as a return man on Thursday with Rossum out of action.

--OK, he might not have been asked about the QB controversy competition, but I asked Nolan about what's going on at free safety. It sure sounds like his mind is made up that Mark Roman will be the starter. Goldson will continue to see action in certain packages when the 49ers go with extra defensive backs.

Nolan said that Roman is an experienced guy who is not "taken out of his game" with having the radio device in his helmet. Roman is responsible for communicating the plays from the sideline to the entire defense.

--There is also competition for the strong inside linebacker position between Jeff Ulbrich and Takeo Spikes, who is taking more and more reps.

--Going back to the wideouts, Nolan downplayed the importance of O'Sullivan getting time with the receivers who have been out of action for a while. The Mike Martz offense requires a lot of discipline, so regardless of the quarterback-WR combination, the ball is supposed to be delivered to an area on time and the WR is expected to be there. The WR's job: Be where you're supposed to be.

--Nolan acknowledged that Bryant Johnson's absence might make it difficult for him to get in the starting lineup for the regular-season opener. When asked who might be the starting receivers, Nolan said he has to wait and see.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Key Contributors Get Some Work

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4520&section=PR News

With Friday being a day off for the players, the 49ers last day of training camp passed with very little fanfare. Not so though for the players, who were ecstatic about moving out of the hotel and returning to their own homes in the evening.

“I am not going to lie, it feels good to be out of camp,” said linebacker Parys Haralson. “As soon as they told us we could broke, I broke, went home and got in my own bed. We’d been at the hotel so long, it’s almost like I had to adjust to my own home.”

Three and a half weeks in a hotel meant empty cupboards and a trip to the grocery store on his afternoon off.

“I had to hit Safeway first thing and then I just enjoyed the day at home watching my own television and getting caught up on all of my shows.”

Haralson and company returned to work on Saturday for an afternoon practice.

The session in shells and helmets marked the return for a few expected key offensive contributors. Running back Michael Robinson and receivers Arnaz Battle and Ashley Lelie took part in practice on a limited basis.

“It’s a great opportunity to get out of the training room first of all, but to get back on the field and get back in sync with the offense,” said Battle who missed the last two preseason games. “It was tough to watch, but there’s nothing I can really do with a hamstring strain. I’ve been rehabbing it and now I can get back out there. I just want to get my timing down, get in sync with the offense with all of the motioning, the alignment and just get out there and have fun making plays.”

With J.T. O’Sullivan now being named the starter, Battle and Lelie look forward to maximizing the next two weeks of practice with the quarterback before the season opener against Arizona.

“It’s good to finally get out of the training room and back on the field and to get the timing down with the quarterbacks, especially J.T. since he’s going to be the guy,” said Lelie. “J.T. knows how to make plays. When stuff doesn’t go exactly as it’s drawn up, he still knows how to get the job done and make plays on the fly. IT’s very important to hone in our skills and shape up the offense and get everyone tuned in for Arizona.”

Robinson had been out since the third day of training camp when he injured his knee, which required a scope.

“I feel like a football player again,” said Robinson. “I actually felt like I was part of something again. I did a lot of individual work, ran a lot of routes, just trying to get back into the swing of things. It’s strong now, and nothing is going to happen to it, but when you have surgery three weeks ago, you are still kind of thinking about it. It’s just mental.”

Linebacker Jeff Ulbrich also did some individual work after being forced out of the game with a lower back strain.

Return specialist Allen Rossum was also forced out of the game with a chest contusion, and he was unable to go this afternoon. Rossum is not expected to play this weekend against the Chargers.;

G David Baas (pectoral), WR Bryant Johnson (hamstring), G Adam Snyder (ankle) and T Jonas Jennings (hand) remain out of action due to their injuires.

Highlights

A few defensive highlights from the session included an interception by safety Mark Roman of a JT O'Sullivan pass in red zone 7 on 7 work, and a pair of pass breakups by cornerback Donald Strickland.

O'Sullivan enjoyed many good highlight throws, including a deep ball over the middle to tight end Vernon Davis during the final team portion of practice.

Wide receiver Cameron Colvin laid out for a deep Shaun Hill pass along the 49ers sideline during one of the final few plays of practice.

Overheard

Tight end Delanie Walker really thought he had gotten both feet in bounds on a corner end zone catch. So much so that he pleaded with the official.

“Come on ref, come on ref, that’s a touchdown!” said Walker.

Working against Walker in coverage was Marcus Hudson who had his own version of the play.

“Absolutely the correct call ref,” said Hudson as he offered a high-five to the official.

Linebacker Roderick Green also came over to support the ref for his call that favored the defense.

Green held his hand up high and then looked down at the much shorter official, and said, “You gotta get up there, you gotta get up for this high-five. There you go!”

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
not yet, not til he leaves the team.....
then he can be considered a bust for us

and if he busts on another team, then he is an official bust

Nov 7, 2002
Im still amazed how some no name came in and took the job from smith and hill I didnt see that coming my quess was Hill would take the job from smith now his a over paid 3rd stringer crazy. I guess 9er fans can look at it a few different way like hay we found a diamond in the rough in Jt or fuck smith is as close to a bust as you can say with out useing the word bust or fuck why did we pay hill 6 mill to ride the bench on 3rd string status. Cup half empty or half full guess it up to the fan.