Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Derek Anderson has one season with 2000+ yards or more. David Carr has five seasons with 2000+ yards or more. David Carr hasn't done shit as of late, though.

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
Smith has played one whole season healthy.

Anderson - 39 Games. 46 TD's. 45 INT's. 52.9 Career Completion %. 7,083 Career Yards. 6th year.

Smith - 33 Games. 37 TD's. 43 INT's. 56.3 Career Completion %. 7,029 Career Yards. \
not much of a difference.

My bet is he ends up in AZ.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Free agent TE Anthony Becht is reportedly visiting the 49ers on Tuesday.
The Niners' second tight end will be used strictly as a blocker, so the more physical Becht is a better fit than Chris Baker, who is also visiting this week.

Profootballtalk.com reports that the 49ers "have spoken" to restricted free agent Leon Washington.
The Jets would be compensated with a second-round pick if the Niners were to sign Washington to an offer sheet and New York failed to match. PFT says no visit has been set up yet, but San Francisco is known to be interested in a change-of-pace back with return value. They were previously linked to Darren Sproles and are considered a possible landing spot for C.J. Spiller.

The 49ers are expected to shop Shaun Hill for a possible trade before granting him his release in the wake of the David Carr signing.
Hill does hold a 7-3 career record, but his physical shortcomings and the fact that San Francisco seems likely to cut him eventually will turn off most suitors. Hill is still expected to participate in the Niners' offseason program.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
i hope the team stuff about us not drafting CJ Spiller was just to throw other teams off and then on draft day we say fuck yall and swoop Spiller

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
Q&A with RB C.J. Spiller

Clemson running back C.J. Spiller was one of the top performers at his position during his college career. Get to know more about him by reading his comments to the media at the 2010 NFL Scouting Combine.

Q: Did you ever dream of playing in NFL?
A: As a little kid, it’s something that you always dreamed about, playing in the NFL. You just to do whatever it takes to get to that level. Now that I’m here, I haven’t stopped working, haven’t gotten complacent, continue to work hard because I have not yet arrived at the potential I want to be at.

Q: What do you say to people who question whether you have the size and weight to be a top performer?
A: Everyone can voice their own opinion. The only thing I can do is just go out there and perform. I can’t worry about that. I know I play the game with a lot of passion, and I’m going to go out there and compete at the highest level, no matter my size or my height. I know what I can do as a football player.

Q: Are you comfortable running inside?
A: That’s pretty much what we did at Clemson. We ran inside, did a lot of zone blocking inside, did a lot of power downhill running. I think by me doing that, hopefully I showed people I can also be an inside runner as well as a good outside runner.

Q: How much of a thrill was it to get a standing ovation from the Board of Trustees at Clemson when you graduated in December?
A: I wasn’t expecting that at all. That’s why people say you never know who’s watching. You have to always know how to carry yourself both on and off the field. To get that, something I’d never been a part of, was a humbling experience and an exciting time. Hopefully, my younger teammates were able to see that so they can see what it takes to grab those guys’ attention, because those are the guys who really run the university.

Q: How did you graduate in 3 ½ years?
A: Hard work, doing a lot of late-night studies, just going to the classroom and doing everything the teacher asks me to do. I took a whole lot of classes my freshman year and didn’t hardly go home that much. It just took a lot of hard work and it paid off for me in the end.

Q: Was graduating the reason you returned to school for another season?
A: I wanted to be an example to younger guys and to my younger sister as well. You’ve got to look at everything. Education can take you a long way, so I wanted to be an example to younger kids.

Q: Why do you think you’ve been so good as both a kickoff and punt returner?
A: I’ve just been blessed by the Man upstairs. You’ve got to be a man to get back there on those punt returns. You’ve got to have faith in your teammates and you’ve got to have faith that they’re going to hold up. And kickoff returns is all about reading the blocks and then just exploding through the hole. Hopefully, you can give your offense good field position and hopefully it’ll turn into a big play. I take a whole lot of pride in playing on those special teams, especially kickoff return and punt return.

Q: A lot of guys don’t want to return kicks in the NFL after their first year or so. Is that something you want to do your entire career?
A: That’s something I love to do. Special teams can win or lose a game for you. That’s something I enjoy doing. I think I’m pretty good at doing it. Hopefully, I can help an organization by doing it so teams can’t just key on me as being a slot guy or just running the ball from the backfield, and I can go in and help that team out in any way.

Q: Can you be an every down back in the NFL and do you want to be?
A: I think I can. I went back and I proved that I can carry the ball 20 to 22 times a game and still last. I think I get stronger as the game goes on and get a better feel. But that’s not my decision to make. That’s going to be up to the coaches, what they think and how they use me.

Q: What was the ACC Championship game like?
A: It was fun. That’s why you play the game, to play in championship games. To get there and (have) the experience we did, it was just awesome. I was just trying to put my team in position to win and I was just having fun. It was a game going back and forth, back and forth.

Q: Do you agree with the comparison of you to Reggie Bush because you’re a multi-dimensional player?
A: Everybody’s going to compare me to whoever. Like I tell people all the time, every running back is different. I can’t go to an organization and try to be Reggie Bush. It’s just not going to happen. The only thing I can do is just try to go be C.J. Spiller. It’s great to be in that company. Reggie Bush has done a phenomenal job while he’s been in the NFL. Even to be mentioned in that company is a humbling experience for me.

Q: With so much passing in today’s NFL, how much of a plus is it that you’re a 100-catch back?
A: I take great pride in catching. That’s something I grew up enjoying doing. Baseball kind of got my catching really good. That helps a running back. The more a running back can add to his game, I think the more dangerous he can become to defenses. It’s just another opportunity of helping the offense.

Dec 12, 2006
I dunno I hella think we need Oline more than the best RB in the draft, in a draft pretty soft at RB. I think everyone is goin with the same mentality as taking crabtree last year, take the best overall player on the board, but drafting O line is gonna help gore and mini baby gore aka coffee and give A Smith or Maybe Carr more time to throw the ball. I like Alex Smith, but I would roll with Carr just based on the Fresno State vs Utah factor

Feb 12, 2004
I dunno I hella think we need Oline more than the best RB in the draft, in a draft pretty soft at RB. I think everyone is goin with the same mentality as taking crabtree last year, take the best overall player on the board, but drafting O line is gonna help gore and mini baby gore aka coffee and give A Smith or Maybe Carr more time to throw the ball. I like Alex Smith, but I would roll with Carr just based on the Fresno State vs Utah factor
We need to take a OT, but I wonder what will be left when we get to pick at 13?? Do you guys really want to use that pick on someone like Anthony Davis? He's a great run blocker and has a big upside, but dude seems like he just doesn't care. I still like the idea of trading for Jared Gaither with the 17th pick or Trent Williams being available at 13.

edit - found this

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/anthony-davis-has-odd-day/

Oct 23, 2009
I think Trent just moved up on some of the Mock Drafts after the combine. I think they need to draft a lineman at 13 or 17 regardless of them feeling like they're reaching. Its an obvious need for the team...unless they trade it for a player like Jared Gaither.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
we will draft 1 o-line guy with 1 of our picks, the other pick is anyones guess at this moment.

we will have to see whats available but here is what i'd want...

Spiller
McClain
1 of the top tier DE Line Beasts
possibly a Safety if the right one was there, I like Earl Thomas. Berry wont be around for us.