HAVING COMPUTER ISSUES...VIRUSES,SPYWARE, ETC...INFO HERE

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 31, 2006
So I have a Firelite Firewire external hard drive. I have an iMovie file on there and every time I try to open it, it says it is being skipped, and wont open. I check the info of the file, and it says that it is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 28, 2006
HOPE THIS HELPS

Discovered: July 10, 2006
Updated: July 19, 2006 02:50:55 PM PDT
Type: Trojan Horse
Infection Length: 46,964 bytes
Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
2. Update the virus definitions.
3. Run a full system scan.
4. Delete any values added to the registry.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:

* How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore
* How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed, reenable System Restore by following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article: Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder (Article ID: Q263455).

2. To update the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:

* Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions:
o If you use Norton AntiVirus 2006, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0, or newer products, LiveUpdate definitions are updated daily. These products include newer technology.
o If you use Norton AntiVirus 2005, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0, or earlier products, LiveUpdate definitions are updated weekly. The exception is major outbreaks, when definitions are updated more often.
* Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted daily. You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The latest Intelligent Updater virus definitions can be obtained here: Intelligent Updater virus definitions. For detailed instructions read the document: How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater.

3. To run a full system scan

1. Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
* For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document: How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
* For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document: How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files.
2. Run a full system scan.
3. If any files are detected, follow the instructions displayed by your antivirus program.

Important: If you are unable to start your Symantec antivirus product or the product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, How to start the computer in Safe Mode. Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.

After the files are deleted, restart the computer in Normal mode.

4. To delete the value from the registry
Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified subkeys only. For instructions refer to the document: How to make a backup of the Windows registry.

1. Click Start > Run.
2. Type regedit
3. Click OK.

Note: If the registry editor fails to open the threat may have modified the registry to prevent access to the registry editor. Security Response has developed a tool to resolve this problem. Download and run this tool, and then continue with the removal.

4. Navigate to and delete the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\[RANDOM LETTERS]

5. Exit the Registry Editor.

Writeup By: Costin Ionescu
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-071010-2417-99&tabid=3

Hemp

Sicc OG
Sep 5, 2005
elaborate^

are you not able to download all types of files?
is the problem from the "Download" window?
you are able to view this site and all, meaning the problem isnt from your internet connection. so Give more info on the problem, what you tried to do, and give more info than just one download or whatever, notify us of several downloading attempts that you have tried and what your results were.

Dec 7, 2005
I DONT THINK ITS MY INTERNET CONNECTION BECAUSE I CAN GO ON ANY WEBSITE AND IT DOWNLOADS NO PROBLEM BUT IF I TRY TO DOWNLOAD MUSIC OR MOVIES OR WHATEVER THE DOWNLOAD SCREEN POPS UP IT DOWNLOADS ABOUT HALF WAY THRU SOMETIMES LESS SOMETIMES MORE AND THEN IT JUST STOPS, THE ONLY THINGS I'V DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE WERE DELETE MY TEMP INTERNET FILES AND COOKIES,AND VIRUS AND AD WARE SCANS

May 1, 2003
Bonekrusher408 said:
I DONT THINK ITS MY INTERNET CONNECTION BECAUSE I CAN GO ON ANY WEBSITE AND IT DOWNLOADS NO PROBLEM BUT IF I TRY TO DOWNLOAD MUSIC OR MOVIES OR WHATEVER THE DOWNLOAD SCREEN POPS UP IT DOWNLOADS ABOUT HALF WAY THRU SOMETIMES LESS SOMETIMES MORE AND THEN IT JUST STOPS, THE ONLY THINGS I'V DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE WERE DELETE MY TEMP INTERNET FILES AND COOKIES,AND VIRUS AND AD WARE SCANS

That sounds like a server side issue with the sites you are going to.

Dec 7, 2005
LET ME ELABORATE SOME MORE IT DOESNT DOWNLOAD TO MY COMPUTER BUT IF ITS A VIDEO OR SONG ON A PAGE LIKE CRAZYSHIT OR MYSPACE THEN IT WORKS, I CAN DOWNLOAD FROM ZSHARE BUT THATS THE ONLY SITE N I THINK ITS JUST BECAUSE IT DOWNLOADS LIKE A NORMAL WEB PAGE

May 31, 2006
well.. here's my situation.. when i first got my laptop, i could burn CD's in like 5-7 minutes tops while goin on the internet and talking on AOL instant messenger at the same time, now a days, i have to close all programs except my CD burning program which is Windows Media Player, and it takes almost 15 minutes to burn a CD. i have a C Drive cleaner, i deleted a shitload of songs and ALL of my music videos, my computer seems fine tho, runs good, got anti virus and all that.. what i'm gettin to is, how can my CD burner get back to that speed?

May 1, 2003
JackArtist510 said:
well.. here's my situation.. when i first got my laptop, i could burn CD's in like 5-7 minutes tops while goin on the internet and talking on AOL instant messenger at the same time, now a days, i have to close all programs except my CD burning program which is Windows Media Player, and it takes almost 15 minutes to burn a CD. i have a C Drive cleaner, i deleted a shitload of songs and ALL of my music videos, my computer seems fine tho, runs good, got anti virus and all that.. what i'm gettin to is, how can my CD burner get back to that speed?

First check your burn options are set to what you need. What's the burn speed of your Burner? 4X 8X 16X? What most people don't know is that you can't go cheap on discs. If you buy discs that are say 4X or 8X that's the speed your burner will write to ...see what I'm sayin. If you buy the value pack of blank CD's or DVD's you are going to get what you pay for. But most important...check the speed that the discs are rated for, because no matter what your burners speed it will only go as fast as the blank media allows. Also, Blank CDs and DVD's really are not all that blank...there is a small amount of data on them that your burner reads so it knows what the max speed is....that's how it knows.

Apr 22, 2006
i got a problem with itunes now, its not working i cant even listen to music through it. i can still listen to music through windows media player but not itunes i dunno whats up, i cant even listen to streamed music from the itunes music store

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Any1 got a good spyware/adware shit for me? i have spyware doctor but the shit expired or w/e, it would be appreciated!

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Oh and another thing, when I 1st got this comp it came with 1 year mcafee, and for some reason i cant delte it, it tells me i have to be logged in as administrator to uninstall it, and theres only 1 account on it, i wanna get rid of that shit, cuz it wont letme install any other anti viruses, i needa delete that and get a new A/V, thanks in advance :)