The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Bavasi will be gone soon, at least by next season. I wouldnt be surprised if they trade for Griffey to get attendance up. They need a new DH. Vidro is batting 196 or some shit.
Griffey will be in a Seattle uniform next year, that's pretty much guaranteed. Jeff Clement will play 1B, Griffey will be in RF, and everybody else will be the same (and w/ the DH, they could sign somebody, or sign a corner OF / 1B and then rotate Clement & Griffey into the DH periodically).

Feb 17, 2008
leave ichiro, felix and bedard, everyone else can go, that includes all of management and ownership. signing griffey? really? dude is a walking injury. and unless he comes back and hits 50 homeruns, attendance will stay down.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
signing griffey? really? dude is a walking injury. and unless he comes back and hits 50 homeruns, attendance will stay down.
I disagree, I don't think he has to hit 50 homeruns, as long as he stay's healthy and the M's are competitive in the A.L. West than attendance should be fine. Think about where the team was before Griffey, with Griffey, and now. The people of Seattle will show their team love if we bring him back IMO.

Edit: Damn I've been dying to move back to Seattle so I could watch all the Mariners/Sonics/Seahawks games and now the fucking M's are awful, Sonics are leaving. Thanks god for the Seahawks.

Feb 17, 2008
I disagree, I don't think he has to hit 50 homeruns, as long as he stay's healthy and the M's are competitive in the A.L. West than attendance should be fine. Think about where the team was before Griffey, with Griffey, and now. The people of Seattle will show their team love if we bring him back IMO.

Edit: Damn I've been dying to move back to Seattle so I could watch all the Mariners/Sonics/Seahawks games and now the fucking M's are awful, Sonics are leaving. Thanks god for the Seahawks.
ok...but he still has to prove he can play more than like 80 games a season, and who are we going to give up for him? and as for being competitive in the AL west? lol...our "star" pitcher just got shelled in two innings, we put together a bunch of hits, but once again we cant put together an all around game, if our hitters are on, our pitching sucks, if the pitching is there, we cant get past first base. but whatever man hey if we get griffey and attendance goes up and we start winning, then all the better

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
^^^ I'm not denying the fact that Griffey is one big walking injury. Or that the Mariners are not a championship caliber team at the moment. All I'm saying is that Griffey had a huge impact on the area back in the 90's and I think that was obvious when he came back to Seattle last year and had like a 5 minute standing ovation in an opponets uniform 9 years later.

Did anyone think that the Mariners would win 116 games before the 2001 season? No, but they hit a hot streak, and it just happened to last all the way up to the playoffs. They had talent and they found ways to win. This team this year has talent they just aren't on the same page, and theirs too much underachieving going on. I don't think the Mariners are in need of an entire rebuilding process, just a little bit of momentum to go their way and to stay healthy.

I don't know about all you guys but if Griffey's back next year I'll make it to at least 5 games instead of my typical 2 games a year.

Feb 17, 2008
i live in montana, i havent been to safeco since its opening year, but i am planning on going when i go home to portland here this summer, even if they are this terrible. griffey might bring back fans for the first few home games that he is back, but when the team continues to lose they'll stop coming. i mean shit it would be awesome to have him back just because, im just sayin that unless they win attendance will stay where its at

Jan 10, 2008
ok...but he still has to prove he can play more than like 80 games a season, and who are we going to give up for him? and as for being competitive in the AL west? lol...our "star" pitcher just got shelled in two innings, we put together a bunch of hits, but once again we cant put together an all around game, if our hitters are on, our pitching sucks, if the pitching is there, we cant get past first base. but whatever man hey if we get griffey and attendance goes up and we start winning, then all the better
Griffey would be a DH so he wouldnt have to play in the outfield were he usually gets injured. We wont have to give up anything but a scrub because he is a free agent at the end of the year and has already mentioned going to seattle. How could you not want Griffey back as a Mariner shit we have nothing else to look forward to this year.

Apr 25, 2002
Uhhhh...Texas still has a losing record and are currently 3rd in the West. Stop spinning it like they are good becuase they beat the WORST TEAM IN THE MAJORS.
I feel you.

But TX is a team on the rise, they are stocked down on the farm, and the Hamilton for Volquez deal will go down as one of the best trades in the 21st century (yes I know what Volquez is doing in Cincinnati now).

They have Hamilton for 2 more years at $400,000 and then the following three in arbitration (which will probably go 6 mil, 8 mil, 10 mil), so basically they're going to have one of the best CFs in baseball for the next 5 years for 25 million bucks.

Apr 25, 2002
After the current slaughter of the Mariners is over, they'll be 18-32 (.360, tied w/the Padres for worst record in baseball) after 50 games, with 112 games left.

They'll have to go 63-49 (.560) to end the season at .500.

They'll have to go 70-42 (.625) to match last season's record of 88-74.

They'll have to go 76-36 (.670) to match last season's AL West Champions record of 94-68.

They'll have to go 98-14 (.875) to match their insane 2001 record of 116-46.

Goodnight now!

Apr 25, 2002
They're awful.

The people at Baseball Prospectus who are very adament about run differential and it's ability to predict future performance are smiling over this one right now. Seattle had a negative run differential last year even though they won 88, Baseball Prospectus published some stuff over the winter saying Seattle was do for a fall (they predicted 73 wins for '08).

Apr 25, 2002
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2004435764_mari24.html

"Playing on this team and seeing what is happening around me, I feel that something is beginning to fall apart," Ichiro said through a translator. "But, if I was not in this situation, and I was objectively watching what just happened this week, I would probably be drinking a lot of beers and booing."
Ichiro needs to dive for balls when the game is on the line.

He didn't on Sunday, and it very well could've cost them the game.

May 9, 2002
Ichiro needs to dive for balls when the game is on the line.

He didn't on Sunday, and it very well could've cost them the game.
He didnt dive becuase like the rest of these guys, they just dont give a fuck anymore. I HOPE Ichiro gets traded so he can at LEAST contend for a title before he has to retire. This team is pathetic, and it all begins with Bavasi.

Apr 25, 2002
He didnt dive becuase like the rest of these guys, they just dont give a fuck anymore.
No it's not that simple, it's very seldom an effort issue w/ the players, that's one of the most common misconceptions among fans. Didn't you see Beltre in the 9th inning the other day when the Mariners were down?

The real issue is that Ichiro is philosophically opposed to diving for balls b/c he thinks it helps his chances of staying healthy. I would agree that it does, and is certainly a good idea in many situations (i.e. why do it when you're up by 7 or down by 9, in that situation it is really stupid), however for a situation when the game is on the line, you absolutely have to go get that ball. Ichiro is not exactly a "gamer," and never has been, and has never had to be one, as he has stayed healthy and his talent was more than enough to get by on. But that may no longer be the case, he has lost 2 steps on the bases (tonight he hit a very slow roller and was thrown out at 1st, a few years ago infielders were peeing their pants when he hit a medium speed ground ball their way).

I HOPE Ichiro gets traded so he can at LEAST contend for a title before he has to retire.
I could see that happening but not until his contract is close to expiring w/ the Mariners (so not for 3-4 years), ownership will never go for that. They clearly have a different way of dealing w/ Japanese players.

This team is pathetic, and it all begins with Bavasi.
I am with you on that one. He deserves far more of the blame than McLaren, far more.