-=The Official San Francisco Giants Thread=-

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
i wish you knew even a little bit about baseball so i can keep this discussion with you going. but it is very apparant you know little to nothing about baseball.

EVEN IF WE LOSE MANNY TO FREE AGENCY!!!!!!! WE WILL RECIEVE 2 1st ROUND DRAFT PICKS AS COMPENSATION FOR HIM!!!!!

so how was this trade a stupid move again?

1. management trades for a difference makers (what has Sabean done for you lately)
2. Boston picked up the remains of Manny's '08 contract (cost to Dodgers $0
3. it might be the push we need to make the playoffs
4. if we dont sign him for 09 and beyond we get 2 1st round draft picks.....
Make sure you don't sign too many free agents though, you'll lose a bunch of your picks...

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
i wish you knew even a little bit about baseball so i can keep this discussion with you going. but it is very apparant you know little to nothing about baseball.

EVEN IF WE LOSE MANNY TO FREE AGENCY!!!!!!! WE WILL RECIEVE 2 1st ROUND DRAFT PICKS AS COMPENSATION FOR HIM!!!!!

so how was this trade a stupid move again?

1. management trades for a difference makers (what has Sabean done for you lately)
2. Boston picked up the remains of Manny's '08 contract (cost to Dodgers $0
3. it might be the push we need to make the playoffs
4. if we dont sign him for 09 and beyond we get 2 1st round draft picks.....
i didnt know the exact details of the trade, because 1 i dont care and 2 fuck the dodgers.

2 first round draft picks?!?!!? omg holy moly!!!

this isnt basketball or football where draft picks are highly valuable. woopity doo.

you'd obviously rather have manny than 2 more farm guys. i never wanted manny and i still dont, but the best thing he did for you guys was helping kents pathetic ass. he needed manny more than anyone. regardless the dodgers still arent good and will struggle the rest of the season.

sabean didnt make any big moves, but he didnt need to... at least not at that time. dont get me wrong tho, i hate sabean more than anything so have a field day with talking shit about him.

we have a solid core thats finally planning for the future. i already knew what this season would be, but i was happily surprised with many players this year. bochy is solid and made the best of what he had. we have potential to be a playoff team next year pending a couple decent signings. 1st and 3rd need producers and maybe an upgrade from randy winn, altho when he is hot like he is now hes pretty damn good.

the best things about this season was obviously lincecum dominating the league, leading the league in steals (we were but i havent checked the stat in a couple weeks), and figuring out ways to win as a team with limited run support/lack of power. rowand is the man and a great player to have on a team, he just isnt a main rbi guy... same with bengie. if we sign 1 or 2 power guys that can lead our team then we will be very successful next year.

Sep 25, 2005
Make sure you don't sign too many free agent though, you'll lose a bunch of your picks...
you only have 1 pick to lose per round. so even if you lose go out and sign 5 big name veterans (Type A and Type B free agents) you can only lose YOUR first round or 2nd round pick depending on who is signed.

say casey blake and manny go elsewhere, we will receive the 1st round pick of the team that signed them AND a compensation pick before the 2nd round.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
you only have 1 pick to lose per round. so even if you lose go out and sign 5 big name veterans (Type A and Type B free agents) you can only lose YOUR first round or 2nd round pick depending on who is signed.

say casey blake and manny go elsewhere, we will receive the 1st round pick of the team that signed them AND a compensation pick before the 2nd round.
Casey Blake is a Type B...

Sep 25, 2005
WOW!!! where do i start!!

2 first round draft picks?!?!!? omg holy moly!!!

this isnt basketball or football where draft picks are highly valuable. woopity doo.
what would the Giants be doing without 2 of their 1st round draft picks? i mean small no namers like Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain.

gain some knowledge franchise!!!

we have a solid core thats finally planning for the future.....................we have potential to be a playoff team next year pending a couple decent signings.
you guys are making due with your scouting dept has. nothing special but a few guys that might patch up the team until help arrives a the next 5 years or so. potential for a playoff team..........i wont even respond to that

maybe an upgrade from randy winn, altho when he is hot like he is now hes pretty damn good.
that says alote about your baseball knowledge (and about your team) when most baseball people would say that Randy Winn is your best position player!

rowand is the man and a great player to have on a team, he just isnt a main rbi guy... same with bengie.
rowand is putting up numbers like most rookies or 2nd year players.......he is a good player but far from great...same with benjie

if we sign 1 or 2 power guys that can lead our team then we will be very successful next year.
big "IF".

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
So, given all the recent draft signings I'm going to prepare a top 25 prospect ranking for the Giants.

i think he would be a good pick up for LA for next year. DeWitt has good defense but he bat isnt ready for MLB
If you get him at decent price, it would be worth it. He's a solid player.

Sep 25, 2005
in '06 Ishikawa was rated as the #4 prospect in SF
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/05top10s/giants.html

he is no longer on the top 10 prospects list for '07 and '08
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263377.html
http://www.baseballamerica.com/toda...rganization-top-10-prospects/2008/265340.html

'06 has Schierholtz at #7
'07 has Schierholtz at #8
'08 has Schierholtz at #4

'06 list:
1. Matt Cain, rhp
2. Marcus Sanders, ss/2b
3. Eddy Martinez-Esteve, of
4. Travis Ishikawa, 1b
5. Merkin Valdez, rhp
6. Jonathan Sanchez, lhp
7. Nate Schierholtz, of
8. Fred Lewis, of
9. Kevin Frandsen, ss/2b
10. Craig Whitaker, rhp

'07 list:
1. Tim Lincecum, rhp
2. Jonathan Sanchez, lhp
3. Angel Villalona, 3b
4. Emmanuel Burriss, ss
5. Brian Wilson, rhp
6. Kevin Frandsen, 2b
7. Fred Lewis, of
8. Nate Schierholtz, of
9. Eddy Martinez-Esteve, of
10. Billy Sadler, rhp

'08 list:
1. Angel Villalona, 3b
2. Tim Alderson, rhp
3. Madison Bumgarner, lhp
4. Nate Schierholtz, of
5. Henry Sosa, rhp
6. Nick Noonan, 2b/ss
7. Eugenio Velez, of/2b
8. Wendell Fairley, of
9. John Bowker, of
10. Emmanuel Burriss, ss

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
in '06 Ishikawa was rated as the #4 prospect in SF
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/05top10s/giants.html

he is no longer on the top 10 prospects list for '07 and '08
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263377.html
http://www.baseballamerica.com/toda...rganization-top-10-prospects/2008/265340.html

'06 has Schierholtz at #7
'07 has Schierholtz at #8
'08 has Schierholtz at #4

'06 list:
1. Matt Cain, rhp
2. Marcus Sanders, ss/2b
3. Eddy Martinez-Esteve, of
4. Travis Ishikawa, 1b
5. Merkin Valdez, rhp
6. Jonathan Sanchez, lhp
7. Nate Schierholtz, of
8. Fred Lewis, of
9. Kevin Frandsen, ss/2b
10. Craig Whitaker, rhp

'07 list:
1. Tim Lincecum, rhp
2. Jonathan Sanchez, lhp
3. Angel Villalona, 3b
4. Emmanuel Burriss, ss
5. Brian Wilson, rhp
6. Kevin Frandsen, 2b
7. Fred Lewis, of
8. Nate Schierholtz, of
9. Eddy Martinez-Esteve, of
10. Billy Sadler, rhp

'08 list:
1. Angel Villalona, 3b
2. Tim Alderson, rhp
3. Madison Bumgarner, lhp
4. Nate Schierholtz, of
5. Henry Sosa, rhp
6. Nick Noonan, 2b/ss
7. Eugenio Velez, of/2b
8. Wendell Fairley, of
9. John Bowker, of
10. Emmanuel Burriss, ss
Ishikawa sucked it up the last couple of years, he had a resurgence towards the end of last year and tore it up this year. Also, the talent in the farm system has grown exponentially since then...thus bumping him from the top 10.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
WOW!!! where do i start!!

what would the Giants be doing without 2 of their 1st round draft picks? i mean small no namers like Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain.

gain some knowledge franchise!!!

you guys are making due with your scouting dept has. nothing special but a few guys that might patch up the team until help arrives a the next 5 years or so. potential for a playoff team..........i wont even respond to that

that says alote about your baseball knowledge (and about your team) when most baseball people would say that Randy Winn is your best position player!

rowand is putting up numbers like most rookies or 2nd year players.......he is a good player but far from great...same with benjie

big "IF".

numbers are just numbers, winn is the hottest right now, doesnt mean he is the best. rowands numbers arent great on offense, neither are bengies on offense but they are still very skilled players. numbers have a lot to do with the team. look what happened with tejada, went to baltimore with nobody and struggled, went to astros and has less to worry about and is on fire.

regardless if some fans would say hes our best positional player at the moment, would they decline an upgrade to a player like vlad? beltran? dunn? etc. our best positional player is debatable on a few different factors, as far as long term goes our best guy is probably fred lewis. as far as short term goes its debatable between rowand, molina, and winn. but everyone knows we need a power upgrade, they wouldnt mind winn for a good power bat.

regardless of rowand's average, he is a great player. gives 200% every play every time. makes ridiculous plays every night. he's a winning type player willing to do whatever it takes. his career avg is 286 and he owns highest career zone rating among active center fielders with .902 mark

and yes our scouting isnt special, tho its adequate recently.

tim lincecum pitchers arent in the draft every year, and there will never be a michael jordan of baseball. so i stand by my statement of the value of draft picks. sure they matter, but you arent going to draft a direct manny ramirez replacement, get real. you draft a player and they stay in the minors for 1-2 years if they are exceptional, most stay longer.

and prospects are traded constantly, so drafting them isnt that important unless they are a freak like lincecum. sure cain was a good pick, but he's not lincecum obviously.

and its not that big of an IF. our pitching is solid. just need bats. look at our division, with a couple moves any team could elevate above the others, again get real.

Sep 25, 2005
numbers are just numbers, winn is the hottest right now, doesnt mean he is the best.
no, i stand by my staement Winn IS the best position player on the Giants, period! not at the moment or because he is hot right now. he is the best position player you got, PERIOD!

Winn can hit for average, is a doubles machine, and is a base stealing threat, which can't be said about molina nor rowand.

defensively Winn and Rowand have good defense while molina is adaquat

rowands numbers arent great on offense, neither are bengies on offense but they are still very skilled players.
any1 who makes it up to the majors must be very skilled. rowand's meal ticket is that he has good defense and adaquate offense and leaves 100% on the field day in and day out

numbers have a lot to do with the team. look what happened with tejada, went to baltimore with nobody and struggled, went to astros and has less to worry about and is on fire.
LOL.....Tejada had good numbers when he first joined Baltimore! where are you getting your stats from Bud? the major culprit (IMO) of what caused Tejada numbers to decrease from superb to above average was the fact that there was a steroid investigation in Baltimore and he was a t the center of it. also his production could have talied off some as he is older than we first thought

regardless if some fans would say hes our best positional player at the moment, would they decline an upgrade to a player like vlad? beltran? dunn? etc.
not at the moment. he is the best position player on your team since bonds left.

do you really consider dunn an upgrade, imagine how many times he would strike out in the best division in baseball when it comes to top tier pitching (Billingsley, Kershaw, Penny, Young, Peavy, Haren, Johnson, Webb, Lincecum, Cain, Jimenez)? How about how many HR's would erase off of his total coming to a BIG park like AT&T from a Little League Sandbox like the one he played in in Cincinatti?

why go out and get a vlad he is past prime and wont be putting up number like he used to.......beltran is tied up for (i believe) another 5 years with the Mets.

our best positional player is debatable on a few different factors, as far as long term goes our best guy is probably fred lewis.
fred lewis will not be an impact player

as far as short term goes its debatable between rowand, molina, and winn.
no its not. Winn is by far you best position player

but everyone knows we need a power upgrade, they wouldnt mind winn for a good power bat.
ok......i think 30 teams wouldnt mind a power bat

regardless of rowand's average, he is a great player. gives 200% every play every time. makes ridiculous plays every night. he's a winning type player willing to do whatever it takes. his career avg is 286 and he owns highest career zone rating among active center fielders with .902 mark
a player can only give you 100%....he is an intense hard working player

what the hell is "career zone rating"

and yes our scouting isnt special, tho its adequate recently.
no, its actually done good lately, not just adaquate

tim lincecum pitchers arent in the draft every year, and there will never be a michael jordan of baseball. so i stand by my statement of the value of draft picks. sure they matter, but you arent going to draft a direct manny ramirez replacement, get real.
yes, they are. its just that many things can factor into them actually making it. namely injuries..............i can go down the list of pitcher after pitcher every year that is special.

i actually agree in that it usually takes 3 or 4 years to make it to the show.

you draft a player and they stay in the minors for 1-2 years if they are exceptional, most stay longer.
we finally agree on something

and prospects are traded constantly, so drafting them isnt that important unless they are a freak like lincecum.
yes, lincicum is a freak........yes prospects are traded depending on the needs of the team.

sure cain was a good pick, but he's not lincecum obviously.
i have said it before and i will say it again seeing what i am seeing now i would pick Cain on my team 9 out of 10 times over Lincecum

and its not that big of an IF. our pitching is solid. just need bats. look at our division, with a couple moves any team could elevate above the others, again get real.
"just need bats" thats a big "IF"................problem is you guys cant afford them................

Jan 5, 2006
the problem with cain is nothing, its the offense.. you'd be amazed how much a young pitcher's focus shifts when he cant rely on his defense to make the plays and the offense cant provide run support. They mention Cain is inconsistant but i really think it has to do with the defense/run support that frustrates him.. yesterday he got a much deserved win tho.