-=The Official San Francisco Giants Thread=-

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
the Giants arent going anywhere! let him see MLB pitching! geesh now i am giving the giants advice!...
He's been seeing MLB pitching just about all year. Dont wanna crush his confidence if he keeps slumping and Ishikawa has been doing good. Id like to see him brought up and let Bowker straighten out in the minors.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Major roster moves for the Giants!!!!

Giants add young trio to lineup

08/13/2008 5:27 PM ET
By Chris Haft / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- The Giants made sweeping roster changes Wednesday, recalling first baseman Travis Ishikawa from Triple-A Fresno and purchasing the contracts of catcher-first baseman Pablo Sandoval and infielder Ryan Rohlinger from Double-A Connecticut.

To clear room for the additions, first baseman-outfielder John Bowker and catcher Steve Holm were optioned to Triple-A Fresno. Infielder Jose Castillo, San Francisco's primary third baseman for most of the season, was designated for assignment.

All three players promoted had been thriving offensively, fostering the Giants' hopes that they could bolster their limp hitting overall. Ishikawa was batting .312, Sandoval owned a .339 average and Rohlinger was at .296. Meanwhile, Bowker was hitting .115 (9-for-78) in his previous 24 games and had slumped to .247 overall. He had gone 96 at-bats without a home run. Castillo was batting .105 (4-for-38) over his last 10 games.

Rohlinger was pressed into service immediately, penciled into Wednesday night's lineup at third base and hitting second. He would become the 13th rookie to make his Major League debut this season, equaling the most in a year since the franchise moved to San Francisco in 1958. The 1996 club also featured 13 debuting rookies.

Sep 25, 2005
All three players promoted had been thriving offensively, fostering the Giants' hopes that they could bolster their limp hitting overall. Ishikawa was batting .312, Sandoval owned a .339 average and Rohlinger was at .296. Meanwhile, Bowker was hitting .115 (9-for-78) in his previous 24 games and had slumped to .247 overall. He had gone 96 at-bats without a home run. Castillo was batting .105 (4-for-38) over his last 10 games.
dont get big heads guys.

Matt Kemp and James Loney were batting over .360 in AAA Las Vegas of the PCL before they were called up for good. right now they are hitting around .290-.300. also remember that the PCL is a hitters haven. Hell, the Dodgers usually jump pitchers from AA-Jacksonville to the Majors just to avoid AAA-PCL

so dont expect your guys that are hitting .312, .339, and .296 to be a big help instantly

Ishikawa: Biography & Career Highlights:
24-years old. SF's 21st round selection in 2002 First-Year Player Draft has compiled .255 batting avg. with 113 2Bs, 72 HRs and 316 RBI in 595 career minor league contests.

John Bowker: Biography:
25 years old. Added to 40-man roster over winter after breakout 2007 campaign in which he set double-A Connecticut's franchise record with 22 HRs...SF's 2nd pick (3rd round) in 2004 First-Year Player Draft owns lifetime .296 avg. with 110 2Bs, 16 3Bs, 48 HRs and 250 RBI over 415 minor league games...

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
dont get big heads guys.
hey dodger douche, check the thread title. we can do what we want; big heads and all.

way to quote 2 young players career minor stats and assume he wont ever improve or be good. hitting is unpredictable and the past isnt always a good indication of what a player is going to do.

[sarcasm] your sig is so cool, manny is that dude [/sarcasm]

you realize he isnt staying with the dodgers right? what a smart trade to acquire a player for half a season and still not make platoffs. you guys werent gonna beat the dbacks even before they traded for dunn. turrrrrrn out the liiiiiiiiights!

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
the PCL is a hitters haven. Hell, the Dodgers usually jump pitchers from AA-Jacksonville to the Majors just to avoid AAA-PCL
Only Ishikawa was in AAA...he was a Sept. callup in 2006 and did well so I don't think he'll be overmatched. I've seen Sandoval play (in San Jose), before he went to Connecticut (that park is usually death to hitters) where he kept mashing and he's ready....

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Kieschnick signs
By Andrew Baggarly

Good news keeps coming for all you Giants fans clamoring for youth. Outfielder Roger Kieschnick, the third-round pick out of Texas Tech, agreed to terms today.

Posey on the cusp of getting $7.5 million; Crawford signs, too

Posted by Andrew Baggarly

According to industry sources, No.5 overall pick Buster Posey is a done deal. It’s expected to be a major league contract in the neighborhood of $7.5 million. That shatters the biggest amateur bonus in franchise history — by nearly $5 million.

We knew Posey was going to get at least $6 million, which is what Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters got in the same slot last year. Posey’s bonus is more than the $6.15 million that Tampa Bay gave to the first overall pick, high school shortstop Tim Beckham. It might be the biggest deal that any draft pick signs this year.

The Giants refuse to confirm, though Brian Sabean told me that progress had been made and they might not be forced to sweat to the last hour of Friday’s deadline. I originally heard that Posey just needed to pass a physical, but now I’m told he already had one last week in Scottsdale.

Also, third-rounder Roger Kieschnick got $525,000, which is $40,000 over slot value. And while it hasn’t been announced, their fourth-round pick, UCLA shortstop Brandon Crawford, has signed for $375,000 — $92,000 over slot. Bruins officials were told he’s not coming back next season.

So yes, the Giants be a’spending.

Juan Carlos Perez signs

According to a source in AZ, Perez (13th Round) is in Scottsdale and has signed an '09 contract.

Info on him:

Perez led all NJCAA divisions of baseball with 37 homeruns and 102 RBIs. His home run mark shatters the previous Division II record of 23 (Carlos Figueroa; Kirkwood Community College, Iowa; 1998) and his RBI total eclipses the previous DII record of 96 (Larry Gempp, Jr.; College of Lake County, Ill.; 2002).

The freshman, who had not played organized baseball for the past two years before joining the Pioneers in the fall of 2007, also posted a .465 batting average for the season with a team high 24 doubles while posting a remarkable slugging percentage of 1.102. Perez also drew 26 walks and had 29 stolen bases this year.

:siccness:

Sep 25, 2005
you realize he isnt staying with the dodgers right? what a smart trade to acquire a player for half a season and still not make platoffs.
i wish you knew even a little bit about baseball so i can keep this discussion with you going. but it is very apparant you know little to nothing about baseball.

EVEN IF WE LOSE MANNY TO FREE AGENCY!!!!!!! WE WILL RECIEVE 2 1st ROUND DRAFT PICKS AS COMPENSATION FOR HIM!!!!!

so how was this trade a stupid move again?

1. management trades for a difference makers (what has Sabean done for you lately)
2. Boston picked up the remains of Manny's '08 contract (cost to Dodgers $0
3. it might be the push we need to make the playoffs
4. if we dont sign him for 09 and beyond we get 2 1st round draft picks.....

Sep 25, 2005
Only Ishikawa was in AAA...he was a Sept. callup in 2006 and did well so I don't think he'll be overmatched. I've seen Sandoval play (in San Jose), before he went to Connecticut (that park is usually death to hitters) where he kept mashing and he's ready....
i dont know about San Jose itself but the CAL League is also a hitters league as a whole...........i like the fact that he is only 22.

over the years a have noticed that guys that get called up at around 22 or younger generally tend to become future all stars. 23-24 could go either way but usually tend to fill up space as decent ML players.

if your first taste of ML baseball is 25 or older you usually dont amount to much more than a backup after a few years.