The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 4, 2006
Are you being serious there? I think they can make it next season.

Don't think so my friend, their structure has crumbled and Hue Jackson is bring it down like the NY Twin Towers..

I see the Raiders winning 7 to 8 games next two seasons...

Palmer is not the right QB ..but you guys don't hear me though..

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Don't think so my friend, their structure has crumbled and Hue Jackson is bring it down like the NY Twin Towers..

But, if they can fix the defense you dont think theyll win 9-10 games next year? Thats all it will take in the west. If you take away the losses you can put on the D, did Palmer really cost them that much? You really think a healthy DMC, a new DC, and a healthy WRing core wont = 1 more win..?

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
I think Hue should have some say in the new GM, not a whole lot though. The decision for GM probably comes down to Amy Trask and Mark Davis...Moreso Hue should have input on the new defensive coordinator, since they do have to work together. Its not like Hue is going to pick someone out of the blue and then its written in stone. He's a rookie coach and he made rookie coach mistakes, he can still be a good coach.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Why should a unproven inexperienced head coach help pick a gm? Oh so he can choose a buddy who won't fire his ass.

I remembe when rod woodson was hired he was gettng boosted as a coach by y'all, he didn't help for shit lol

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
If The Raiders would have won a few extra games if there Dbs didnt give up bullshit plays an didnt PI 100's of times of late hits it all comes down to our players getting flags on stupid shit they know they cant do

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002

Who else is available genius?

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
And you'll be saying the same shit next season..

face it, the raiders aren't going nowhere ... they been stuck in the same position for years..
lol. the niners were in the exact same position as the Raiders for just as long, up until this year when they finally turned it around.

all it takes is 1 move... hiring a GM

you guys should now more than anyone how quickly things can change... we don't have Al Davis doing things his old school 1970's way anymore... so we can easily turn it around

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
as far as Hue having input on the new GM... I don't think he should have any input. obviously he is gonna have some bias. if a potential GM would likely wanna bring in his own guy to be the head coach... Hue would obviously try to talk Mark Davis, or whoever makes the decision, out of picking that guy.

I'm ok with Hue coming back, but he can't have the power he has now... no fucking way

Dec 4, 2006
lol. the niners were in the exact same position as the Raiders for just as long, up until this year when they finally turned it around.

all it takes is 1 move... hiring a GM

you guys should now more than anyone how quickly things can change... we don't have Al Davis doing things his old school 1970's way anymore... so we can easily turn it around
I'd like to see a good GM for the Raiders that can really make moves..I believe the HC position should be questioned though...

I asked you a question...what better QB option is/was available?
right now or at the time? right now there's plenty of better QB's than Palmer, Hue gave up too much for that bum..

And Hue should have stuck with his backups and should have just deal with the season, y'all didn't win shit anyways..ALL THOSE MOVES WERE A WASTE!

as far as Hue having input on the new GM... I don't think he should have any input. obviously he is gonna have some bias. if a potential GM would likely wanna bring in his own guy to be the head coach... Hue would obviously try to talk Mark Davis, or whoever makes the decision, out of picking that guy.

I'm ok with Hue coming back, but he can't have the power he has now... no fucking way
That alone tells you much about Hue wanting to be able to pick his GM .. I see him as another Singletary ..

If they have given Hue that much power in the Raiders franchise...expect the team no go nowhere for a while..

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Monte Poole: Hiring a general manager should be the Raiders' top priority

By Monte Poole
Bay Area News Group
Posted: 01/03/2012 03:27:11 PM PST
Updated: 01/03/2012 05:21:02 PM PST

His play-calling sometimes seemed to be plucked from thin air, his clock management could be poor and he fumbled an opportunity to take a stand on wayward player.
Hue Jackson, with many hats atop his head, made enough mistakes in 2011 to remind himself and anyone observing that he was rookie at this head coaching gig.
His roster, however, was considerably more flawed than his coaching.
So the mob circling Jackson, calling for the coach to oust himself after one year, should be ignored. Their emotions have been toyed with and torched. Lashing out is the natural response.
Having lost architect and former owner Al Davis, the organization's first move to fix itself has to be hiring a general manager. Jackson surely will dismiss defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan, as would the next GM, but the next DC won't fare much better if he's handed the same cast.
And there is no shortage of quality candidates for the job, which is made more attractive by Davis' absence, for the late former boss was notorious for badgering his coaches, particularly those responsible for defense.
It's unlikely the organization will find someone more qualified for the GM job than Reggie McKenzie, a former Raiders linebacker (1985-88) and currently director of football operations in Green Bay.
McKenzie was hired there by former Packers executive Ron Wolf, who previously served as a front office executive for all three Raiders Super Bowl championship teams. McKenzie has been in place since 1994, having earned two promotions to reach his position, and only New England has won more games during that time.
With the help of his scouting staff, McKenzie consistently finds players, many of whom are overlooked by others. The Packers' mostly homegrown roster -- the most organic in the NFL -- was constructed around McKenzie's evaluations and recommendations to general manager Ted Thompson.
The Packers, defending Super Bowl champions and favored to repeat, are winning with undrafted free-agent defensive backs such as Tramon Williams and Sam Shields.
The Raiders, meanwhile, are struggling with such high draft picks as Stanford Routt and Mike Mitchell, both of whom are second-round selections.
While Raiders middle linebacker Rolando McClain, the No. 8 overall selection in 2010, has been a disappointment thus far -- including off-field exploits thus far undisciplined -- Packers inside linebacker Desmond Bishop, the 192nd overall pick out of Cal in 2007, is thriving.
The Packers rarely pursue big-ticket free agents, and they almost never miss.
Charles Woodson, who was the best player on the defense during most of his time in Oakland, found his way to Green Bay and rededicated himself. He is establishing Hall of Fame credentials as the leader of one the of league's most aggressive defenses.
The Packers prior to the 2006 season gambled on C-Wood, then an unrestricted free agent with few interested clubs, and it paid off.
Wolf, who retired a decade ago, is one record saying McKenzie is ready to become a GM, even adding that the Raiders would seem to be an ideal opportunity. There may no be a human being on earth more familiar with Raiders history than Wolf.
Insofar as McKenzie knows how to find players as well as build teams, he would make sense on so many levels.
He also will be otherwise engaged for a few weeks, perhaps another month.
But that applies to most of the NFL's best personnel men. It applies to Tom Gamble, the 49ers' vice president of player personnel who also will be considered, as well as Atlanta's Les Snead and Baltimore's Eric DeCosta, who worked with Jackson when Hue was the quarterbacks coach for the Ravens.
Of the obvious candidates, only Seattle's Scot McCloughan -- whose father, Kent, has worked for the Raiders since 1965, as a player and a scout -- is not in the postseason.
Jackson, who worked for four other NFL teams before coming to Oakland in 2010, will be involved in the search. As odd as it may seem that a coach would help hire his "boss," but the two more likely will have a symbiotic relationship, similar to that between Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert.
Though Mark Davis, who inherited the Raiders in the wake of his dad's death, has the power to make the decision, he'll wisely listen to Jackson and the team's current personnel officials, notably veterans Bruce Kebric and Jon Kingdon.
Jackson will be hip-deep in the process, as he should be. As brutal as the end of the season was, the passage of time will send a breeze to clear the scent of smoldering ash and Jackson will look better.
He'll be the coach who kept the Raiders in contention despite the death of his boss and sounding board one week, the loss of his starting quarterback the next week, and the loss of his star running back the week after that.
Above all, though, he'll be the coach who needed a better and deeper roster.
Contact Monte Poole at [email protected].
getting McKenzie would be fucking awesome

May 6, 2009
I don't think Palmer is nearly as bad as the 9er fans on here make him out to be. It wouldn't matter if the Raiders had Tom Brady, these dudes would find something to bash him about. I do, however, think the Raiders gave up way too much to get Palmer.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
I don't think Palmer is nearly as bad as the 9er fans on here make him out to be. It wouldn't matter if the Raiders had Tom Brady, these dudes would find something to bash him about. I do, however, think the Raiders gave up way too much to get Palmer.
I agree 100%. He is not as bad as Niners fans make him out to be, but we did give up too much to get him. However, given the circumstances and the fact that our division was up for grabs... I think it was an okay decision. Obviously we're not in the playoffs, and we're missing a first round draft pick that would be nice to have right now... but hindsight is 20/20....

Palmer played well enough to get us in the playoffs (for the most part) the defense let us down

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
Palmers deep balls were on point! His mid range passes were pick prone, those will improve (not go away completely) next season

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
lmao I dont care if we get a new gm, a new headcoach, a new oc, a new dc, it dont matter. I dont care if hue stays on as the head coach or the offensive coordinator, all I know is I want all three. I dont want the headcoach calling all the offensive plays. Hue should be on our personel for his creativity, and drive to win. Not for his honesty.

I think we need a offensive coordinator who takes points over conversions, and a defensive coordinator that doesnt call the same man to man defense, and then call a 4 man zone in the last quarter.

Defense wins championships.