Since we are exposing people...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
You stated that the only expression that can be interpreted is feeling just because it was text, which I disagreed with. Yes, any form of communication can hit any 5 senses. Whether its a book, advertisement, a blog, posting, a billboard, or a magazine....text is text and it doesn't matter where it is. So point is, everything posted here is not interpreted and judged upon based on kinesthetics.
Yet, you said this was your initial statement on text:

If you pick apart their sentences you can easily establish a type of rapport with them.
You are directly contradicting yourself. That was what I pointed out earlier.

And when did i say anything about feelings and text? I said that you nor I know the sole reason behind anyone posting anything, that "picking apart" text will only give a subjective view to another person's insight. THATS it. Me saying "fuck you" on here can be taken 1001 ways and in reality, only I know what i meant; picking it apart wont tell you jack.

Do you know your ABC's? Well, you just pulled them from your sub. Now they are in your conscious. What did you eat with on Christmas? When was the last time you cut yourself? Those are all in your sub since you are not at the moment "aware" of it, which is your conscious. No different than a rape victim, it gets put there unless they are thinking about it 24/7.
You are STILL missing the point. You presented a scenario where you CHOSE to put something aside. A traumatic event is put into the deepest part of the subconscious, unconsciously by the brain. SO much so, that it is nearly "purged" on purpose. To use an example, the movie Memento, where the protagonist has long-term memory loss and can not form new memories. His mind has replaced the REAL event, with a fictional one about the event that was traumatic. HE consciously had NOTHING to do with that. His mind decided it was best for him.

Another example of this are those who suffer from DID. It was once thought that it was bullshit and those who expressed this bizarre behavior, were faking it. Turns out, an alternate (and sometimes several) were created by the mind to REPRESS a traumatic event. Many times, the patient can only recall the event in their alternative personality, while the "origial" has no recollection of it.

Do you help write the DSM? I have no clue where you claim that NLP is dead as a fact that that most "psychologists" would disagree with me.
I have already pointed out, as has Mr. Nice Guy, that it is considered pseudo psychology.The certification for it is handed out by those who teach it. How is that in any way a viable credential in the psychology world?

What does the DSM have to do with NLP?

I could claim the exact same thing, but that's neither here nor there.
It is here and there all at the same time.

Most psychologists are people who have an insane amount of problems themselves, which got them into the field in the first place, and now have a piece of paper saying they know psychology. Big deal, I train those type of people in my free time.
That is like saying that all medical doctors have medical issues, that's why they became doctors. It is a wild accusation with no proof. Did it ever occur to you that people become involved in the medical/science field to HELP others?

May 6, 2002
So to sum it up, no matter how much we go back and forth on the 2 items it's not going to really sway either of us.

1) I believe you can tell a lot through text, you disagree and say it means nothing. By rapport I just meant establish pattern and talk on their playing field.

2) I believe NLP is alive and well, you believe it's dead in the water. The certifications are useless and hold no merit, I completely agree with that. You probably pay x amount and go to x seminars and get some cert. I still won't discredit it's theories, but that is where we conflict. That's fine.

Putting our text can reveal a lot discussing and the validity of NLP aside...

Getting on the same page in regards of the defense mechanisms. I haven't seen the movie Momento and really rather not use a movie as a reference point. I just cannot grasp the concept of involuntarily suppressing something regardless of the level of trauma caused by the incident. I don't think it can happen without the person being aware of it. They do it for a reason and whether the end result being beneficial or not is up to them, more often it is beneficial but there are the cases where the person snaps, it builds up. I think there are more cases where they come to terms with it and deals with it. Now you are saying that a traumatic incident can occur and get thrown into the depths of the brain without the person knowing it got placed there, completely involuntarily. Just want to make sure that is what you are saying...

May 9, 2002
Getting on the same page in regards of the defense mechanisms. I haven't seen the movie Momento and really rather not use a movie as a reference point. I just cannot grasp the concept of involuntarily suppressing something regardless of the level of trauma caused by the incident. I don't think it can happen without the person being aware of it. They do it for a reason and whether the end result being beneficial or not is up to them, more often it is beneficial but there are the cases where the person snaps, it builds up. I think there are more cases where they come to terms with it and deals with it. Now you are saying that a traumatic incident can occur and get thrown into the depths of the brain without the person knowing it got placed there, completely involuntarily. Just want to make sure that is what you are saying...
Memento is a great film regardless of this discussion, just an FYI.

Also, we can not use the terminology "they", as that almost immediately identifies one's self being able to bury something in the subconscious, when it is the mind that decides such things.

As for which cases get "solved or buried", that is completely up to the mind to decide. Everyone is different. Everyone deals with things differently. A person who is used to traumatic situations may have no problem resolving it on the spot. Others may not have the ability.

I got into psychology for one reason: to understand the mind. I have learned that at the moment, that is not going to happen. This is the reason i STAY in the field of psychology, because it is still so misunderstood. It is the most dangerous and mysterious thing known to exist in the entire universe.