Shooting down Kobe's critics

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
"Michael Jordan shot the ball a lot when he was young. So why isn't it OK for Kobe Bryant?"

Heres a new article posted, pretty much saying the same things i do. You can disreguard it, or you can read it and consider this as a possible truth to kobe and his situation. I bolded all the significant parts.

Shooting down the double-standard on Kobe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Sam Smith
Special to ESPN.com

I remember talking to Michael Jordan about all those shots he took when he joined the Chicago Bulls -- 33 against the Cavaliers in his rookie season. It seems Michael was out to embarrass them from the beginning.

There were the 36 in 37 minutes against the then-Washington Bullets in his second season after returning from his broken foot. Two games later, he squeezed off 36 again to open the playoffs and then 41 shots in Game 2 when he scored a record 63 points as the Bulls were being swept by the Celtics. That's right: 95 shots in three games and not a single win.

Kobe Bryant ranks second in shots attempted behind Tracy McGrady. Now, Jordan was sure what he was doing. He opened his fourth season in the NBA taking at least 30 shots in each of his first three games. He hoisted up 43 shots against the Lakers less than a month later and was rolling. He had another 43-shot game and a couple of 39s before going to the playoffs and being swept again.

So I wondered why was Jordan taking all these shots, and he explained: "Who do you want shooting? Me or Brad Sellers?"

Jordan, of course, was celebrated. Who else should be taking the shots? This was a wonderful thing. And then Jordan went on to win his first of five MVP awards in 1987-88 when he engaged in some wonderful duels. Attempting 38 shots in a memorable battle with Isiah Thomas. Shooting 37 times against Dominique Wilkins and then 35 times against Larry Bird about a week later. There was a 34-shot effort against Clyde Drexler and 45 shots in 44 minutes against Cleveland in the playoffs. Jordan even got up 23 shots in 29 minutes in that season's All-Star Game.

This comes to mind with all the hand-wringing about Kobe Bryant.

My gosh, he took 47 shots against Boston a few weeks back and 40 against Golden State while averaging about 24 shots per game for the season. How dare he. He must be selfish. He must not be a team player.

What nonsense.

People often ask me whether Bryant is as good or better than Jordan. And in taking responsibility for his team and taking the majority of the shots, he's just like Jordan. With a better jumper, actually.

Shaquille O'Neal is due back from the after-effects of his toe surgery, and this should all change. But my view is Bryant has been playing great in O'Neal's absence.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson likes to tweak Bryant about his shooting, but even Jackson had to admit, "To be honest, Michael probably had a more talented team at that time than Kobe does at this time."

As Kobe could say but won't, "What, you want Slava Medvedenko or Samaki Walker shooting?"

Nor would you want Robert Horry or Rick Fox.

I have great respect for the role players, like Horry and Fox, or Steve Kerr, Luc Longley, Scott Williams and Jud Buechler. But if Horry were with Denver, he'd never have hit a big shot in his life -- because he never would have had a chance to take one.

I hope guys like Derek Fisher and Horry get lots of All-Star votes. They're the defending three-time champions and produced under pressure, which is the test of all-pro athletes. But let's not forget how they got the chance, because they're playing with O'Neal and Bryant. Just as Kerr and John Paxson and B.J. Armstrong were playing with Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

However, the Bulls of the 1990s were far deeper than these Lakers teams. Sure, the Bulls, and no one since the 76ers with Wilt Chamberlain, wouldn't have had anyone to deal with O'Neal. But this Lakers team has 10 spare parts. At least the Bulls had All-Stars in Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman. After O'Neal and Bryant, there's no one on the Lakers who has even sniffed an All-Star team. Horry has scored in double figures in only three of his 10 seasons, Fox in four of his 11. And that bench? It could be the worst in the league.

So what's a guy to do? But jack it up.

Bryant has been splendid with O'Neal out. He has been playing with guys who don't draw a single-team. He has had to take over. Sure, the Lakers won just three games. But they've been in most of the 12 games without O'Neal, shockingly losing to the Wizards on a dunk at the buzzer and to the Celtics in overtime.

Yet, there's been this ridiculous notion that -- had Bryant got other players involved, had the Lakers run that triangle offense and stayed within the great system -- all would be solved. And liposuction would be banned in L.A.

Bryant is just like Jordan -- he's as good, really. Maybe he doesn't play with Jordan's ferocity and attack the basket as Jordan did when he was younger. But Bryant is more skilled, a better shooter and just as determined a competitor. Ask yourself, if Jordan was playing with a low-post center instead of Dave Corzine, would Jordan ever have become Jordan? Bryant has to defer to the greatest force in the game, and he has still averaged more than 25 points per game the last two seasons. If he had the complementary talent Jordan did, even without Shaq, Bryant could dominate the game from the two-guard spot, which only Jordan ever has done. Which is why many consider him the game's greatest player.

With O'Neal out, and with nowhere near the supporting talent Jordan had, Bryant had to take it upon himself to score. And shoot and shoot and shoot. His big mistake? He didn't shoot enough. Maybe the Lakers would have won some of those other games.

Bryant is a great talent merely determined to win the game. Perhaps when he started out, he was screaming for attention. But he didn't have the NCAA title and Olympic gold like Jordan did. But he's 24 now and he has three championships. Jordan got his first when he was 28. By the time Bryant is done, he might well have more championships than any two-guard ever.

Like Jordan 15 years ago, Bryant has been doing all he can to win games. Jordan was applauded for the effort, and Bryant should be as well.

Sam Smith, who covers the NBA for the Chicago Tribune, writes a weekly column for ESPN.com.

Apr 25, 2002
"Bryant is just like Jordan -- he's as good, really. Maybe he doesn't play with Jordan's ferocity and attack the basket as Jordan did when he was younger. But Bryant is more skilled, a better shooter and just as determined a competitor. Ask yourself, if Jordan was playing with a low-post center instead of Dave Corzine, would Jordan ever have become Jordan? Bryant has to defer to the greatest force in the game, and he has still averaged more than 25 points per game the last two seasons. If he had the complementary talent Jordan did, even without Shaq, Bryant could dominate the game from the two-guard spot, which only Jordan ever has done. Which is why many consider him the game's greatest player."

Ive been saying this since day one, none of yall get it though. That is all real shit in that article, now bash away haters.

May 19, 2002
www.cdbaby.com
Dogg when will u get it??? Ko-Me is nuthin compared to Jordan!! If u gonna keep comparin Ko-Me to Jordans rookie year, then make sut u use Ko-Me's rookie year as well!! He sucked as a rookie while MJ was da Bomb!! No comparison.!! Ko-Me is in no way better than MJ at no point...not even skills!! MJ would eat his ass on the court!! This is to funny, and I bet u really think Ko-Me is better than MJ!!! Dogg stop it!! Secondly the biggest diff, betwen a young Jordan and Ko-Me now, is even though they both shot alot, Mj teams won games, and made playoffs, and MJ had no one at all at that time!! Ko-Me's team is horrible!!! Try again!! GOT EM!!

Apr 25, 2002
He was in the eastern conference, played against sorry ass teams. has kobe ever been on a team that didnt make it to the playoffs? Im really not sure, just wondering. Kobe was 18 his rookie year, how about MJ? There were points in the article that prove everything else you have to say wrong, ill let you read it again and clown yourself.

May 27, 2002
taken from espn.com

"It's a car. It's a plane. No, it's Shaquille O'Neal ready to rescue the Lakers from a 3-9 start, writes Peter May. We learned from the champs' slow start that Kobe Bryant can be like Mike, at least in the way of shot attempts, and that Shaq is clearly the NBA's most valuable player."

ouccccchhhhh

Apr 25, 2002
THA RIPPA said:
taken from espn.com

"It's a car. It's a plane. No, it's Shaquille O'Neal ready to rescue the Lakers from a 3-9 start, writes Peter May. We learned from the champs' slow start that Kobe Bryant can be like Mike, at least in the way of shot attempts, and that Shaq is clearly the NBA's most valuable player."

ouccccchhhhh
What you mean ouch, i dont see anything wrong with it, its a headline, if you click the link under ...ca be like Mike... it will take you to the articale i just posted :)

MB3

Sicc OG
Aug 26, 2002
Well I never gave a damn what all these nba experts write or sum of these faggot ass tv commentators say. I built my opinion on what i see through my eyes and all i see when hobe is playing is an arrogant wannabe Jordan throwing up his hands when he drives to the basket and crying for a foul cause that's hobes best move to cry for sum fouls.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
Name one thing Kobe does better than MJ did?nothing!!

Basketball is more than fundamental skills,and athleticism,although MJ is the superior athlete too.MJ had a knack for every single aspect of the game.Competitiveness,clutch shooting,mental approach,making his teamates better,which is the biggest compliment in sports,and Kobe don't have that.
Kobe is weak compared to Mike,trust me.Jordan in his prime woulda handed Koldbe like he did Craig Ehlo Nitro.Why can you not see that?Kobe is a top 20 player,which is great,but what is it that he does,that makes him any better than Paul Pierce?do that.

Tell me the difference between Paul Pierce,and Kobe?There's nothing,except Pierce sticks the other teams best player,and George does it for the Lakers.Kobe is average in the elite class,face it!!

Another quote in the ESPN mag,said something to the effect that "we all thought Kobe would be the next Mike,but turns out he's probably the next Scottie"

Take your Kobe posters down homie,and roll with T-Mac before it's too late!!!

:::::::::::::::::::GAME :mad: OVER ::::::::::::::::::::

MB3

Sicc OG
Aug 26, 2002
I think everybody knows that hobe is always crying and that aren't excuses just sum facts for you and your fakers.

May 19, 2002
www.cdbaby.com
nitro gh said:
Name one thing Kobe does better than MJ did?nothing!!

Basketball is more than fundamental skills,and athleticism,although MJ is the superior athlete too.MJ had a knack for every single aspect of the game.Competitiveness,clutch shooting,mental approach,making his teamates better,which is the biggest compliment in sports,and Kobe don't have that.
Kobe is weak compared to Mike,trust me.Jordan in his prime woulda handed Koldbe like he did Craig Ehlo Nitro.Why can you not see that?Kobe is a top 20 player,which is great,but what is it that he does,that makes him any better than Paul Pierce?do that.

Tell me the difference between Paul Pierce,and Kobe?There's nothing,except Pierce sticks the other teams best player,and George does it for the Lakers.Kobe is average in the elite class,face it!!

Another quote in the ESPN mag,said something to the effect that "we all thought Kobe would be the next Mike,but turns out he's probably the next Scottie"

Take your Kobe posters down homie,and roll with T-Mac before it's too late!!!

:::::::::::::::::::GAME :mad: OVER ::::::::::::::::::::
Real shit again Bam!!!

But yall didnt read this from nitro....he is really losin respect and lackin knowledge!! Peep!!!

Originally posted by nitro gh He was in the eastern conference, played against sorry ass teams. .[/B]
So just because the east isnt as great as the west now, u say it wasnt better than the west then?? Haha u dont know shit!! The East was runnin shit back then, winnin every allstar game, and most of the championships..Celtics, Pistons, 76ers! Haha, dont get todays players mixed up wit yesterdays players!! So your excuse is invalid!!! GOT EM!!!

Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
KOBE IS THE MAN ,WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT PEOPLE SAY IN HERE,THEIR IN THE MINORITY,,,THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE OUT THERE LIKE KOBE BETTER THAN JORDAN "AT THIS PIONT IN HIS CAREER COMPARED TO JORDANS AT THE SAME AGE"...YOU SAW THE ESPN POLL I POSTED IT WAS A LANDSLIDE NOT EVEN CLOSE...BUT I FEEL YOU NITRO,BUT YOU WONT CONVINCE ANY OF THESE KOBE HATERS...EVEN IF YOU SHOW THEM THE FACTS,IN FRONT OF THIER FACE,LIKE YOU JUST DID...

May 15, 2002
THIS IS BULLSHYT! Kobe cant compare to Jordan in no way. MJ outdoes him statistically and on the floor. And ummm...in Jordan's rookie season, he shot alot but he shot over 50% percent plus his team went to the playoffs each year. Im tired of hearin this bullshyt about Kobe being 18 when he first came in and Jordan being 21. When Jordan was 18, he was schoolin foolz and North Carolina. I dont give a fuck how many articles you make up, KOBE CANT COMPARE TO JORDAN IN NO WAY!!!! Kobe cant even lead a fuckin team so how can be the best. MJ shot alot over his whole career but they won and he shot over 50 percent. Go to NBA.com, stats will back up my word. And In Jordan's rookie season, he had higher numbers and then does now on over 50 percent shooting and his team went to the playoffs. Jordan has done alot for the game, Kobe aint did shyt but showed up while Shaq does the work.

May 2, 2002
WiCkEd said:
I DISAGREE WITH YOU HOMIE.JORDAN WAS AN AVERAGE PLAYER WHEN HE FIRST CAME OUT,,HE WAS WAS FAR FROM SCHOOLING FOOLS,LOOK AT THE FACTS..

heh, thats where you are WRONG. When Jordan first came out, he stunned the world.

Now read this shit so you can feel like an ass.. Larry Bird declared Michael Jordan "the best player in the NBA" BEFORE Jordan had even played his FIRST game in the NBA. Bird saw him in the preseason and was in complete awe. He said he say MJ do things he didnt think was possible. And when the Bulls played the Celtics in the playoffs, and Jordan molested them, after the game Bird held a press conference. He said that he couldnt believe what Jordan had just done to him and his team. He said he had never seen any human play basketball like that before and that Jordan would go down as the greatest ever...AND THIS WAS COMING FROM LARRY BIRD!!

Jordan RAPED the NBA. He had everyone in the fucking world talking about him. He was unstoppable. Every aspect in the game, Jordan perfected. And most importantly, he owned his own game. NO ONE played like Jordan. NO ONE. He had a style that no one could do anything about, but envy. He was simply superior in every aspect.

This is why I get upset when I see people comparing someone like Kobe Bryant to Jordan..Its just absurd. I mean, I like Kobe, I know hes a talented player. Very talented. But he could never EVER rise to the game Jordan was at. He wont even be able to approach Jordan's lever. And what really irks me is that Kobe's entire game is EXACTLY replicated of Jordan's. He has sculpted his game to be indentical to Jordan. Even the way he fuckin talks is like Jordan.

I mean, its cool to be inspired to a great like His Airness...but Bryant is a fuckin carbon copy. And a rough one. He will never be as skill as Jordan and will never put up numbers like Jordan. It wont happen. No matter how hard Kobe tries to be like MJ, he will never be. No one will.

End of fucking discussion.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
WiCkEd said:
I DISAGREE WITH YOU HOMIE.JORDAN WAS AN AVERAGE PLAYER WHEN HE FIRST CAME OUT,,HE WAS WAS FAR FROM SCHOOLING FOOLS,LOOK AT THE FACTS..
Ummm,nice try,but GAME OVER:::::::::
ROOKIE:28.2ppg
2nd year broke leg
3rd 37.1ppg
4th 35.0ppg

and he shot very well from the field.These are the days when the east had Bird,Nique,McHale,Doc,Zeke,Dumars,etc........you all should kill yourselves now!You "look at the facts"?Brad Sellers vs Shaq?who had more open jumpers?plus MJ had Orlando Woolridge shooting as much as Koldbe does and still got his "in the flow of the game".Trying to compare childrens votes on ESPN....LOL,when you got sports scholars like Czar and myself right here!!!:cool:

May 19, 2002
www.cdbaby.com
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wicked are u serious???????????????

U tell me that MJ was average when he came into the league?? Dogg I will never give u the benefit anymore!! Even nitro wont agree to that....I dont think!! Anyway, MJ tore shit up his 1st year big time!! The team went 19-63 the previous yea, and he took them to the playoffs in his first year!!! Unheard of shit!!! Then to sort it even further, u say that people think Ko-Me was better than MJ at this point( same age) haha dogg MJ's rookie year was better than any year Ko-Me has had period!! So fuck comparin the same age, because the rookie MJ is still better let alone compare him to MJ after a few years in the league!!! This has taken the cake!!! I still cant believe u said that!!!! Dogg.......uza foo homie!!! Im OUT!!!!!!! GOT EM!!!!

May 2, 2002
KINGCZAR said:
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wicked are u serious???????????????

U tell me that MJ was average when he came into the league?? Dogg I will never give u the benefit anymore!! Even nitro wont agree to that....I dont think!! Anyway, MJ tore shit up his 1st year big time!! The team went 19-63 the previous yea, and he took them to the playoffs in his first year!!! Unheard of shit!!! Then to sort it even further, u say that people think Ko-Me was better than MJ at this point( same age) haha dogg MJ's rookie year was better than any year Ko-Me has had period!! So fuck comparin the same age, because the rookie MJ is still better let alone compare him to MJ after a few years in the league!!! This has taken the cake!!! I still cant believe u said that!!!! Dogg.......uza foo homie!!! Im OUT!!!!!!! GOT EM!!!!
for real..check out what I said a couple messages up. it sums all this shit up.