SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS ON FIRE!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
First of all, Russ Ortiz was not the most consistant pitcher in the Giants rotation last year (I can show you with last year and this year's numbers), it was and still is Jason Schmidt. Just this year, Schmidt has started in 2 less games then Ortiz, yet has 54 more strikeouts and 20 less walks? Schmidt has an ERA of 2.43 compared to Ortiz' ERA of 3.56. Schmidt just completed his 3rd shutout of the year throwing a 3 hit complete game shutout against the red hot dodgers, let me add that Ortiz has thrown one shutout in his 5 year career. Schmidt throws harder, strikes out more batters, walks less batters, and wins just as many games, not to mention ranks in the top 5 in major pitching catagories. Batters are hitting .198 against Schmidt and .222 against Ortiz... I can go on forever, so someone elaborate on how you think Ortiz is in any way better then Jason Schmidt. Lets not worry about how the pitchers were fairing 5 years ago, lets talk about last year and the current season because thats what matters. I have trouble finding a single catagory that Ortiz has out-pitched Schmidt in... it's no contest in my eyes.

I will say the Ortiz is a pretty solid pitcher, I would love to have kept him on the Giants. The main reason we let him go was money, but we also took a gamble. By letting him go we welcomed some new young hopefulls to take the mound, which if they played better then expected, would prove to be a much better choice then to keep Ortiz, its not turing out as good as we had hoped, but it could be much worse.

All im saying, is watch Schmidt, because he is probably the most under0rated pitcher in the major's. Mark my words.

Mar 18, 2003
Schmidt, another complete game against the Dodgers, 0 ER 0 BB, moving his ERA down to 2.23 and picking up another win. He moves to 2nd in the MLB in strikeouts and 3rd in the MLB in ERA (.01 behind 2nd), 5th complete game this year. Any questions?

Mar 18, 2003
Schmidt should have got the loss because you don't think Perez balked? There isn't much to talk about concerning last nights game, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

May 8, 2002
Nitro the Guru said:
Schmidt should have got the loss because you don't think Perez balked?
yes, because with durham picked off at first there would have been three outs before the home run was hit, which means Dodgers would have won 1-0! which means that yes schmidt would have and should have gotten the loss.

i mean remember O. Perez (Dodgers) was 1-hitting them (Giants) when they called that pick-off a balk.

Mar 18, 2003
Let's remember, this was in the 6th inning. If you want to talk about chance, then you have to assume that the Giants might have scored another run seeing as how the rest of the game would have been completely different because Grissom would have batted first in the next inning, changes everything.

Lets say Perez did NOT balk, and the Giants DIDN'T score another run, and Schmidt did get the loss. That really doesnt change a thing because he still pitched one hell of a game and had 0 ER 0 BB on 4hits. Run support plays a major factor in win/loss columns, but it is all on the pitcher to strike out, walk, and control the opposing runs earned.

May 8, 2002
Nitro the Guru said:
Lets say Perez did NOT balk, and the Giants DIDN'T score another run, and Schmidt did get the loss. That really doesnt change a thing because he still pitched one hell of a game and had 0 ER 0 BB on 4hits.
true, very true!!!

Nitro the Guru said:
Run support plays a major factor in win/loss columns, but it is all on the pitcher to strike out, walk, and control the opposing runs earned.
Being a Dodger fan I know all to well the ill effects of not having run support. remember my Dodgers have the WORST offense and have scored the least amount of runs in all of MLB

Mar 18, 2003
Good god, you weren't joking. They are second to last in runs to the Tigers of all teams, not beating them by to much either. Lackey just shut them out tonight allowing 0 ER. It kind of takes away from Schmidt's last 2 performances against them, but they are suffering indeed. Who the fuck is on the DL, or are they just not playing well? I think they have enough pitching to shop around one of them for a good hitter, but then again, with their poor offense they still battle for first place with their outstanding pitching, maybe they should just leave it. What do you think?

May 8, 2002
Nitro the Guru said:
I think they have enough pitching to shop around one of them for a good hitter, but then again, with their poor offense they still battle for first place with their outstanding pitching, maybe they should just leave it. What do you think?
i would just ride the pitching for as long as it can take us. good pitching is hard to find

Mar 18, 2003
The Dodgers have scored 3 runs over the last 4 games, they need to change something real quick. Don't they have any minor league prospects, somethin to give 'em a spark. Their pitching is going to be useless when they score a run every game.

May 10, 2002
^^^ FUCKEM, LET THE DODGERS FALL TO THE BOTTOM WHO GIVES A FUCK!!! ITS BAD ENOUGH ARIZONA IS TRYEN TO CREEP, WE DONT NEED A 3 TEAM RACE FOR THE DIVISION!!!!