RIP TO THE CRIP HOMIE

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2004
Portland man cleared in roommate's death

02/21/2007

Associated Press

A Multnomah County judge found Matthew Lisicki not guilty of murdering his best friend almost three years ago.

Lisicki, 27, shot Derek Rew five times during a fight in their southeast Portland apartment in April 2004. Lisicki's attorneys argued that their client was defending himself when he shot his 22-year-old roommate.

Lisicki showed no emotion when Judge Linda Bergman announced her verdict Tuesday. Minutes later, Lisicki said he didn't know why prosecutors charged him with murder and he felt fortunate that he was able to afford private attorneys.

Lisicki's father, Tom Lisicki, is president and CEO of Stash Tea in Tigard.

The case hinged on the question of whether Lisicki used reasonable force by reacting to Rew's punches by pulling out a gun and shooting.

Deputy district attorney Kirsten Snowden said she disagreed with the judge's verdict, but wasn't surprised. She said the defense opted for a trial by judge instead of jury because the judge appeared to be sympathetic to their side when she set bail at $250,000.

Most murder defendants remain in custody while awaiting trial.

"I think it's a travesty," Snowden said. "While Mr. Rew deserved to be arrested or beat up or brought to detox, I don't believe he deserved five bullets for his behavior."

Lisicki's attorneys, John Neidig and Steve Lindsey, argued during the trial that Lisicki had reason to fear Rew. They said Rew had bragged to Lisicki about getting away with shooting two people to death in Tacoma and being capable of murdering a person with his bare hands.

Lisicki is 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, according to his driver's license, and Rew was 6-foot-5 and weighed 240 pounds, defense attorneys said.

Rew became enraged after Lisicki failed to defend him when two women ridiculed his hair and fake diamond earrings at a party, attorneys said. Rew, who had a blood alcohol content of 0.19 percent, hurled a concrete ashtray, cracked the dashboard of Lisicki's car and punched Lisicki in the face.

Once inside their apartment, Rew declared he was going to kill Lisicki, according to the defense. All the bullets Lisicki shot at Rew were aimed upward, as if Lisicki had been on the floor looking up at his attacker, the attorneys said.

Rew's family quickly left the courtroom after the verdict.

___

Kon1

Sicc OG
May 17, 2002
thats fucked up. but maN u dont need to keep bringing this thread back to the light. let the man rest in peace.

Kon1

Sicc OG
May 17, 2002
good to see you out. though i dont know you personally i heard your music on ya page and maybe we'll be able to collab someday.

May 12, 2004
SmOkEd_OuT_213 said:
thats fucked up. but maN u dont need to keep bringing this thread back to the light. let the man rest in peace.
why you gettin all bent out of shape...I just saw this article and thought it was intresting..Im glad hes not sttin in cell..trust me, me bringing this thread up will not affect how dude rests in peace

May 12, 2004
SmOkEd_OuT_213 said:
lmao its funny how u can make sum1 soooo mad over the internet.
well i feel you on that..but when your sittin there tellin me to shut up and callin me a nobody when you dont even know me is kind of irratating..and i never said me and him were hellagood friends or anything..i just remember kickin it with him a few times..but whatever, your right, its only words on a computer..its all good

Status
Not open for further replies.