RAP IN WASHINGTON

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I think the only rap artists who really blew up out of the Pacific Northwest period, reached way beyond the Northwest. Including Swollen Members. It has nothing to do with how good you are or how good your music is, it all has to do with your connections not inside but mostly outside of where you are and where you reside. If your not doing shows and getting your music out there to the fans internationally, you won't get anywhere outside your own region, no matter how good you sound or how hard you work. You either get lucky and hit the spot or work at it like it's all you got. Nobody strictly representing THE NORTHWEST will blow up, it's that simple, I don't give a fuck who you are, if you only do music where your at, your name will remain where YOUR at. The serious Northwest artists need to REALLY start building fan-bases internationally and touring internationally. That's how you get noticed, that's how you move units. So yeah, the first artist to do this out of all of the above gets my vote.

Apr 14, 2003
Well, i think makin music like everything you hear on the radio would be the easy way to blow up...for maybe a couple artists, but the northwest as a whole has to have a way we do shit... every region has a style or a sound, what the fuck is the NW sound, like Ace a spades said.
What do we do like no other region does, know what im sayin? we need to put that into our music instead of tryin to sound like every other joe blow on the radio.

If this sounds stupid to anyone then disregard it, cuz im fucked up.

Nov 30, 2002
makes sense.... but i dont agree with it.. every region has a mainstream soundin cat... a gangsta soundin cat... a back packin soundin cat etc....... blowing up is not all about the music.... it is also about the connections you have... that actually plays a major role in it IMO

pz

Apr 14, 2003
connects is a huge part of blowin up, but i think to blow up as a region, much like the south has, you gotta come with some talent too, somethin new and hot, somethin' thats your own but somethin everyone across the world can feel.

Nov 30, 2002
its not talent so much... lil jon talent? no.. he can scream yeah and what and make basically the same soundin beats over and over again you can hear the same synth in like 5 different songs.. he is a fad.. but there is talent that has blown up, luda, em (regardless of what y'all think he is fuckin sick), etc. I think its your connections... and the NW is slowly but surely makin more and more connections with the local producers like jake one bean one vitamin d, rocphella... and artists are starting to expand like Unexpected arrival, grynch, sonny bonoho... it'll take time.. but i think it may happen if we keep workin towards the same goal

pz

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
D'struction said:
connects is a huge part of blowin up, but i think to blow up as a region, much like the south has, you gotta come with some talent too, somethin new and hot, somethin' thats your own but somethin everyone across the world can feel.
thats damn near it..

connections is a bigger part of the picture then people think...

but the REAL key

MONEY AND KNOWING WHAT TO DO WITH IT

talent, IMAGE, money, connects, and a MAJOR artist (luda or higher) co-signin for you... put it in a blender, bake at 350 for an hour, and there you have it... money out the ass, and a mtv show about your cars houses and jewelry....

Nov 30, 2002
reppin_the_509 said:
my vote = certified, those fools can rap, or trife, trife is no joke < i say this because i havnt heard no one say they aint feelin these guys
trife is tight... but he has no motivation what so ever.. i'll tell him that today tho... maybe that will motivate his ass lol

pz

Apr 25, 2002
Redboss425 said:
who the fuck you run wit? the 360/425/206 is overan with lil john lovin white boys an project pat bumpin nigs. its all about the rap right now its blowin up, back in the days the mtv scene was overun with rock, then it went almost pure rap now its a mix but still, all these punks watchin mtv an shit are gettin into the rap, right now im in this weak ass job corps shit down here by roseburg, oregon and theres more hicks then anything here and they still be listnin to the three 6 an shyt, 3-6 aint the best example they gettin played out imo but im jus sayin, it aint a rock scene anymore.

Holly Hoover bitch.
You do raise some good points.

Apr 25, 2002
nonstop_ga said:
really, its time to phase out the weak, and get together as a region...

blow this nw shit first, then we can worry about cities...

we CAN get it like the south... we just have to target a different audience...

portland and seattle are 8% black, while the south is WAAAAY higher..

so we just have to cater to our audience...

but first....

THIS IS THE NORTHWEST!!!! be proud... bang this shit like a hood... NORTHWEST NIGGA

WE'RE THE NEW WEST!!
I love what your saying about the Northwest movement, bang it like a hood etc I love that, that's what I do personally nearly every day of my life.

But I'm just one dude, and I've had really no success turning people I know onto NW rap music. And I see a lot of comments on this thread that are kind of flaky and opinionated without much substance to give me any real sense that what they are saying is true.

But what I think the most important thing you said the "portland and seattle are 8% black, while the south is WAAAAY higher.. ", you're getting at something I've been maintaining for a long time, that it is in so many ways, a demograhpic thing.
The NW is at a tremendous natural disadvantage in so many ways b/c it lags way behind other regions (such as the South like you mentioned) in 1) total population and 2) black population. Now I'm not a dumbass, I know that the vast majority of rap music is purchased by white people, and I also know that outstanding rap music can be produced and rapped by white people (too many guys from the NW have proven this). I also know that Seattle does have a very proud tradition of musical excellence and even black musical excellence with Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones and Ray Charles (sort of).

HOWEVER, the overall whiteness (or better stated, lack of blackness) in Seattle and Portland I think still plays a major role in limiting what the NW can do. One of the most common themes in rap music is coming up from hard times, usually hard times (escaping the crime etc.) in a ghetto that is 85 to 90% African American. Portland and Seattle do not have any places like that of significant size (no Census Tract in SEA or Portland is over 45% black). If you asked the average white person in Seattle or Portland "does your city have a ghetto?" I have observed they will most likely either say "no" or "yes, but not like (insert your city here).

So if the people of the region who need to be purchasing these CDs and supporting their artists are doubting the very substance and authenticity of these artists, are they going to purchase those CDs and support those artists? I've flat out had buddies of mine in the car kind of roll their eyes when they here about a lot of the things these dudes talk about. Now that doesn't make those guys wrong, I have no doubt guys like Crytical are 100% real no bullshit, but if the masses in our region would, then I think that severely limits what a man like Crytical can do.

Why in the world would a CEO of a record label go up to Seattle or Portland and get somebody when he could also get a very talented guy from a place that is already in the consciousness of everybody, already proudly displayed on t-shirts, etc. Those corporate people rely heavily on the creativity and trendmaking prowess of young black America, who set the trends and make the white masses follow (with their $). I honestly don't see many black kids from a city in Cali, the South, the Midwest or the East rocking a shirt that said "206" or rocking some Street Level records because they simply have too much pride in their own communities and are not intrigued enough by ours.

And to the people saying "they just have to make good music" that is flat out wrong for several reasons. 1) there is no such thing as universally accepted good music, it's art it is open to an infinite amount of interpretations and 2) in MY interpretation, the NW has been making outstanding music for too long now, especially in the last 2 years. But D-Sane (as far as I know) doesnt' have a mansion in Mercer Island, Crytical isn't a rich man etc. etc. If Crytical doesn't blow (and he won't), then that proves right there that the actual music is either irrelevent or just the first step of a multi-step process.

So I guess the big theme here with what I'm saying is that the Northwest lacks many aspects of the reputation that is a prerequisite to blowing up as a rap mecca. I know that people buy good CDs to listen to good music not because some guy is from x, but the reality is there are extremely talented people everywhere (I've got hot shit from 42 states), the image and the connections and all that stuff is more important than the music.

I know people will get all offended with this shit but honest, I have over 600 NW rap albums, I live in another region of the country for 9 months of the year, I have a very thorough understanding of the music the Northwest has produced, as well as a very thorough understanding of the way our region is perceived nationally. I have tried ever since I was banging that F.T.S. Money Motivated my sophomore year of HS to get people into this NW rap shit. I won't give up, but I don't care as much anymore.

I really liked what Red Head Steve said about this, he was kind of like 'fuck this, if I can just know deep down inside that I did something fucking special and can show it to my kids, then it's cool.' That is the attitude, I respect that so much.

SO OVERALL, THE NORTHWEST IS NOT BLOWING, we're too small, too white, not nearly nationalistic enough (like Texas is) as a region. If it were, it simply would've happened by now. To the artists, many of whom know how much I have supported them over the years, I say this, don't worry about it, get as much scrill as you can but more importantly just take a tremendous amount of pride in the incredible work so many of you guys do and understand just how positively you've affected the lives of us fans.

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
^^i cosign...

there ARE hoods in the nw... dont get it wrong, ive got homies, and family ive lost to the streets in the nw...

but theres no longer a black part of town in portland... GENTRIFICATION is to blame... theres parts that are "blacker" then others, but for the most part, the minorities are all gettin pushed out to the cities crust... i get VERY frustrated with the fact that people are gettin thrown out of homes, that have been family owned for 30+ years, and a faggot couple buys it from the city, and "renovates" it.. then they get involved in neighborhood meetings, and get rid of the rest of the minorities in the neighborhood that have BEEN LIVING HERE, cause they dont like how "we" act...

raicial tension is gettin SEVERELY high in inner north/north east portland...

any way... when people come from out of town, they go to the spots they hear of, and find a bunch of granola eatin ass, bare foot fags and lesbos...

but regardless... theres real gangstas, that have bled on these streets, and will continue to hold it down in portland/seattle but it just keeps slipping away...

anyway, the region we(blacks and mexicans) used to call home, will eventually turn into another white neighborhood, and we'll be gettin pushed further and further away from the city... so i think artists should continue to work for THEMSELVES and blow the region later....

its divide and concur... and theyre winning....

Apr 25, 2002
Nonstop you are right about the gentrification thing, the Central District of Seattle used to be 80% black, now it's about 40%. It is exactly how you worded it, divide and conquer and it's all settled around the notion of crime. People have figured out that what will get crime rates lower is not if you put a huge huge police presence in an area, but it is if you disperse the people who are committing the crimes. So the idea of crime and also wealthier people need less from the city, so by getting rid of poor people (and poor ones who commit crimes to boot) you are just making your life a lot easier. You're right about it being a big big problem black people are facing in Seattle and Portland.

However, I don't think it is really an explanation for the rap explosion thing and here's why. Gentrification is happening, with a few exceptions, almost everywhere. I am a Geography Major, study a lot of cities and what is going on right now is that in most of the country, there is the beginnings of a movement that will either move poor (translation for cities is black/mexican) people from the middle to the edge, or just disperse them into more even distributions throughout the city.

So New York City, Chicago and LA have all been hit very very hard with gentrification. Right across from the Cabrini Green Projects in Chicago (shown on Hoop Dreams), there are condos selling for $1,500,000. Seattle and Portland aren't going through anything different. But Seattle and Portland just had far far fewer black people and far far less "ghetto space" "hood space" "rap music producing space" whatever you want to call it to begin with. So I think the gentrification going on everywhere sort of cancels each other out. I don't think gentrification has anything to do with my opinion that a rapper from around here will blow.

Apr 25, 2002
nonstop_ga said:
there ARE hoods in the nw... dont get it wrong, ive got homies, and family ive lost to the streets in the nw...but regardless... theres real gangstas, that have bled on these streets, and will continue to hold it down in portland/seattle but it just keeps slipping away...

raicial tension is gettin SEVERELY high in inner north/north east portland...

any way... when people come from out of town, they go to the spots they hear of, and find a bunch of granola eatin ass, bare foot fags and lesbos...

its divide and concur... and theyre winning....
Yeah I know there are hoods in the NW. And it ain't all about the truth necessarily, b/c I know New York City has a lower crime rate than Seattle (per capita). Los Angeles is also a city with a pretty modest crime rate (per capita). And we all know that those are two of the biggest cities in rap (more likely b/c they are the biggest cities in our country, not b/c there is some sort of incredible hip-hop culture there that is absent elsewhere). But the problem is, the vast majority of people would have no idea that Seattle has a higher crime rate than NY, or that LA statistically isn't as thugged out as places like Minneapolis or St. Louis.

And the rappers know this too, you see in a lot of NW rap music rappers basically screaming and begging for people to realize this fact, that there are hoods in the NW etc. Crytical "The Sun Doesn't Shine" is a perfect example, listen to the chorus.

So this is a huge problem, I repeat that I advocate for what NW rap fans should do is not so much worry about whether a guy blows or not, simply enjoy (AND PURCHASE) all of the great stuff from out here. I get so annoyed all the time by seeing people be like "the NW is on the rise" "it's a movement!" etc etc etc then only to find out that their library of NW rap music doesnt' contain stuff like Framework's new album, or all the SLR/Jus Fam catalog. It's kind of like 'put your money where your mouth is' kind of thing.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
nonstop_ga said:
i get VERY frustrated with the fact that people are gettin thrown out of homes, that have been family owned for 30+ years, and a faggot couple buys it from the city, and "renovates" it.. then they get involved in neighborhood meetings, and get rid of the rest of the minorities in the neighborhood that have BEEN LIVING HERE, cause they dont like how "we" act...

WEST SEATTLE IN A NUTSHELL^

I'm not totally convinced with the racial population bit.

I don't believe the racial make up of your city means shit.Look how long it actually took the South to even be noticed at any level?Dade County is everything you want in a gangster crime ridden stereotype of urban lifestyle,and all they got is Trick Daddy.Chicago has never really blown up as a whole,and I think it's the 3rd largest city in the US.In 1985 I did'nt even know what Compton was,but if you can portray your cities image well enough,you can create it's image nationally.By 1989,everyone knew about Compton.Nelly put St.Louis on the map without even painting a vivid picture.I could'nt tell you right now what area of St.Louis he reps.

I thinks it's money first,and who you know second,.3rd is the desire of the lable and it's employees.and Timing always enters into it.It don't hurt to have your hometown on lock prior to all that.

Just an outsiders opinion.