Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 5, 2005
trade gore for a draft pick? ARE YOU OUT OF UR MIND? Gore and Willis are our best players
OUt of my mind? Trippin. If we can get 3 draft picks for Gore why the fuck not? Gore has only played 1 full season and his durability has been questioned. RB's who carry a load are only good for 6-7 years. He's already on his fourth year and he has sustained injuries through out his career. We can pick up Taylor Mays from USC at pick 11 or 12 if he is still available then draft Lesean McCoy from Pitt and a QB in the later rounds, possibly Mark Sanchez. Let him sit for a year and develop. Sanchez would be a good pick up. He has a very strong arm and he played in a pro style offense at USC.

We should also try to find a traditional run blocking full back so we can play pound the ball. Mike Sing mentioned that he wanted to run the ball alot more so this would be wise.

You guys should really look at the big picture. One guy ain't going to make us a contender.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
A FB is pretty much guaranteed for next year, i hope we go after leonard weaver. No way we get 3 draft picks, unless they are late rounders, and that wouldnt be worth it

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
they should still draft a QB 1st or 2nd Round, or unless they can get a steal

I dont agree with this either, Unless we can get Haynesworth, Suggs, Peppers, Jordan Gross from Free agency, then theres way bigger needs

we need a RT(Gross), DT/NT(Haynesworth), DE)Peppers), Pass Rushing OLB (Suggs). Im guessing we will get 1 of them in free agency, otherwise those are our biggest needs

Mark Roman, Aubrayo Franklin, Barry Sims are as good as gone next year, Takeo Spikes may be back, but then we need to draft a replacement for him as well...

Dec 9, 2005
LOL @ trading away our offensive centerpiece, and probably one of the top 3 all around backs in the league.

Hell to the no.

He's the type of player you build around.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Gore is set to make
$6,483,000
$6,933,000
$7,133,000

the next 3 years, if he is traded, we still get a cap hit from dead money outta his deal, we would only save maybe 6 mil outta the 3 years, its not really worth it.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Bruce Reaches Two Milestones
http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5031

Wide receiver Isaac Bruce entered Sunday’s game needing only five catches to record his 1,000th career reception, and just 60 yards to move ahead of Tim Brown into the number two slot behind Jerry Rice on the all-time receiving list.

But with only one catch for 21 yards at the halfway mark of the final quarter, Bruce’s shot of making history back home in St. Louis seemed improbable, especially when taking into account the awful day his quarterback Shaun Hill was having.

Hill completed only two passes in the third quarter for 21 yards, while also throwing his second pick of the day to cornerback Ron Bartell.

The 49ers starting quarterback went from almost getting benched to leading the team to their most exciting finish of the season, and it all began with a 12-yard pass to Bruce with seven minutes left in the game.

“Any time you allow a football player, a guy who plays as hard as Shaun does to stay in the game, things will turn around for him,” said Bruce. “The other guys are on scholarship too, so they are going to make plays, but we were fortunate to have Shaun come back and bounce back the way he did.”

Hill went back to the reliable Bruce an additional four times on the drive, including three straight to finish off an 11-play, 80-yard scoring drive. The highlight play of the scoring series was Bruce’s 3-yard touchdown reception, which earned the veteran receiver his 1,000th catch in grand fashion.

“I’m very grateful,” said Bruce. “Glory to God. It was a great game, in the last quarter. I think the first few quarters were pretty stagnant. For both teams to really rise up and start playing in that fourth quarter, it was big.”

Despite the fact that his reception trimmed the Rams lead to within six, Bruce received recognition on the Rams video board and a resounding “BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE” from the St. Louis fans.

“Like I said earlier in the week, for the fans’ sake, it being down here in St. Louis would be special because they saw so many of those catches, and just the lineage of the wide receivers who have come through the Rams and the 49ers. Having Coach Ellard over there, a guy who taught me so much and having Torry Holt on the other field, who also taught me a lot. It’s big, big for the city, and big for both organizations.”

Bruce had six receptions for 53 yards at that point, thus needing only seven more yards to become the number two ranked receiver in terms of yards in NFL history.

Hill didn’t make Bruce wait long to get them. After getting dropped for a sack on the first play of the following series, Hill went straight to the future Hall of Fame receiver on a 2nd and 12 play from his own 31. Bruce made the catch and headed out of bounds to stop the clock after an 8-yard gain.

“That was another thing about today’s game, I definitely wanted that to happen for Isaac,” said Hill. “I’m so happy, number one, that it did happen, and number two, that we were able to win while happened.”

There was no time to waste celebrating however as Hill still had a 3rd and 4th down to convert in order to keep the 49ers comeback attempts alive. He did that with a 13-yard strike to Bryant Johnson, followed by a 48-yard touchdown pass to Josh Morgan.

“I was very excited,” said Bruce of the rookie’s catch. “It was an opportunity for him. I told him the previous series, Mike had changed the personnel, and I heard him make a comment when he was going out of the game for a different personnel. I told him, ‘That’s the passion coming out of you. Any time you want to stay in a football game and fight with your teammates, that’s big.’ I told him I was very proud of him at that moment, before the touchdown.”

It was only after Joe Nedney hit the extra point following Morgan’s catch to take a one-point lead that the Rams announced Bruce’s feat.

“The record is huge,” said Bruce. “It plays a part in this rivalry between the 49ers and the Rams and I’m very honored for it.”

The normally stoic Bruce admitted that coming into the Edward Jones Dome as a visitor was a bit of an emotional experience for him.

“It was strange, it was different. I tried to hold back and fight from going into the home team’s locker room and saying hi to the guys. I just had to do it. I was attempting to keep my poker face on to the people on the sidelines during the pregame, but I just saw so many faces who were here with me during my years and I just had to stop and say hello, say Merry Christmas and tell them I missed them and loved them.”

As beloved as Bruce is in St. Louis, it’s safe to say that the 49ers receiver has quite a few fans in San Francisco who now love him too.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Gore Plans to Practice
http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=353
Running back Frank Gore plans to practice some this week after missing the last two weeks of work with an ankle injury.

From the sound of things, Gore was even ready to go after working out pregame in St. Louis.

“I was feeling alright, but they (athletic training staff) told me it would be better if I played next week,” said Gore. “I was alright with it and I’ll try my best to go this week.”

Gore needs just 22 yards to become the only player in 49ers history to record three consecutive 1,000 yard rushing seasons.

But the competitive back will be looking for way more than that as he squares off against one of his former Miami teammates in Redskins star running back Clinton Portis.

“We went to the same school and we talk during the season,” said Gore. “We’re so competitive, we always want to out-rush each other, have more yards at the end of the season. He got me this year, but you know, I’m going to try to get out there Sunday and out-perform him.”

Portis took Gore under his wing when he came in as a freshman.

“He helped me with the playbook. He looked out for me. When he went to the league, he took care of me. And when he’d go home, he’d let me drive his car, because I didn’t have a car. Things like that. We used to room together in the hotel the night before games. We were roommates. The night before the Rose Bowl, he was like, ‘Little homie, before the game I’m going to give you the rock. It’s my last game, now you have to hold it down for me.’ I was excited about that, because then I got the chance to be the man at Miami. On Sunday it’s going to be fun.”

Portis even became close with Gore’s mom, who passed away last year.

“When he went to the league, my mom had a party for him before he took off,” said Gore. “They got real close. He was like a big brother to me.”