Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Singletary’s Monday Presser
http://49ers.com/blog49/
December 8th, 2008

Head coach Mike Singletary called the win a total team effort, but here were some things that immediately jumped out at him.

“Defensively, I just felt there was so much energy. Guys were running to the ball, making plays. It was just what you want it to look like. A lot of physicality was there. Guys played with a lot of passion and hustle. I was very excited.

”Offensively, as the game continued to move, I saw the offensive line really doing a great job, imposing their will on the opposing team.

“One thing that jumps out is Vernon Davis. I don’t know if there’s ever been a tight end to block better than Vernon Davis. He did an exceptional job. He was outstanding. The best I’ve ever seen. I’m talking about period. As a blocking tight end, for him to be on a defensive end, linebacker, whoever he was on, he was driving, he was moving them. It wasn’t like they didn’t know he was coming. It was very impressive.”

Asked again why he hesitates to endorse Shaun Hill as a starting quarterback for 2009, Singletary made it known that it’s not about what Shaun has or hasn’t done, but that he’s only interested in talking about the now.

“We are playing right now. After this season, I really don’t know what is going to happen. There are a lot of uncertainties. I’m going to talk about right now, I’m going to talk about next week,” explained Singletary.

“I’m very excited about what I see. I’m very excited about what he’s doing. I’ve asked Shaun to really, for himself, get to that point, establish yourself as an NFL starting quarterback, establish yourself as a championship quarterback in your mind and at the appropriate time we’ll address it. The most important thing is for Shaun Hill to continue the progression.”

Running back Frank Gore has not been ruled out by any means for Sunday’s game in Miami. Singletary said the team would monitor his progress throughout the week and hope that the added incentive of playing at home would also serve as extra medicine.

If Gore couldn’t go, there is a possibility that Thomas Clayton could be activated from the practice squad.

DeShaun Foster took the majority of the reps after Gore suffered the ankle injury against the Jets, and fumbled the ball once. Although David Baas recovered, it was the second time Foster has put the ball on the ground in recent weeks.

“The thing DeShaun really runs into, he’s trying to get extra yards. He’s trying to make something happen. Frank Gore is in all the time. When DeShaun gets in, he’s trying to make something happen. He just needs to take the ball and go, get what you can and then let’s line up and start over again. That’s just something he’ll have to continue to work on and he’ll get better.”

As reported during Sunday’s broadcast, Singletary and his wife drove over to former head coach Mike Nolan’s house following the 49ers first win under Singletary (against the Rams) to deliver a game ball.

“The biggest thing about that I just felt that every thing I’ve had a chance to do since I’ve been head coach – a lot of it stemmed from Mike. To me, winning that first game was as much his as it was mine, because of everything he did, and all of the time he put into me, teaching and the conversations and all of the things we talked about. I wanted to make sure that i let him know that I’m always indebted to him as a friend and a mentor.”

Singletary prefers to shy away from talk about whether or not he’ll be the head coach for the 49ers in 2009, but he did answer the question today about his contract status.

“My contract is done at the end of this year. I’m a free agent so to speak.”

Over the last few weeks Singletary has been using a former NFL head official, Ron Blum, to help out with rule interpretation in the coaching booth. Singletary explained his decision to seek Blum’s assistance.

“A few years ago, I said to myself, I’m going to take this (rule) book and sit down and go through all of the rules, by the time you get through the first quarter of it, and you pick up the phone or drive and visit a ref and talk to them about the rules, it’s not the rule itself. It’s the perception of the rule. It’s so grey that you begin to think I need to go about this in a different way. I need to have someone around me who has some awareness, wherewithal that can explain some of these rules. I know what the rule is, but then it is ruled differently. Either I’m going to drive myself nuts trying to figure this out or you get someone who speaks that language. You get someone who knows that world.”

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Martz a candidate for San Diego State job?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Martz-a-candidate-for-San-Diego-State-job-?urn=nfl,127505

A report late last week said the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator is a candidate to become the head coach at San Diego State.

The San Diego Union-Tribune, citing sources, said there are indications that Martz and former University of Minnesota coach Glen Mason are "persons of interest" in the search to replace Chuck Long.

Asked about the report, Martz said: "I would never discuss another job, no matter where it is. It's just not appropriate for me. I'm not dodging your question, but that's just not my thing. I'm happy with the job that I have and I'm trying to do the best I can at it, so we'll just leave it at that."

Martz, 57, was born in South Dakota and moved to San Diego at 8. He used to go to San Diego State games as a kid and watch Don Coryell's offensive powerhouses. Martz's first college coaching job was as an assistant at Mesa College in San Diego.

49ers Coach Mike Singletary declined to address Martz's potential candidacy.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Clayton Could Get his Chance
http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=309

Running back Thomas Clayton received some media attention on Monday after head coach Mike Singletary left the door open for the possibility of the practice squad player being activated to the 53.

“If the opportunity presents itself, obviously it would be the one I’ve been waiting for since being put on the practice squad,” said Clayton. “At this point, I haven’t heard anything so I’m just going to approach this week as if it were any other week.”

Clayton’s use this weekend would depend on whether or not Frank Gore is healthy enough to play after leaving Sunday’s game with an ankle injury at the start of the third quarter.

Clayton came on strong at the end of the 2008 preseason, finishing with 42 carries for 186 yards and a touchdown, plus 7 catches for 52 yards. He was released at the 53-man cut and then brought back to the team’s practice squad. The ‘08 campaign marks year two of practice squad work for the former sixth-round pick out of Kansas State.

“I had gotten calls from other teams throughout the season but obviously nothing came through because I’m still here. Perhaps it’s for a reason. You never really know. I still prepare myself each week as if I’m going to play in the game because I want to improve, and on top of that, you never know when you are going to get the call so you better stay ready.”

Clayton said he’s been encouraged lately by what he’s seen happen for his roommate Dominique Zeigler, who was recently promoted to the active roster after spending a year and a half on the practice squad.

“I’m happy for him, and he’s making the most of his opportunities.”

Told that Coach Singletary had informed the media earlier on Monday that he had a big fan in offensive coordinator Mike Martz, Clayton responded, “Oh wow, I thought he hated me.”

Apr 5, 2003
Martz a candidate for San Diego State job?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Martz-a-candidate-for-San-Diego-State-job-?urn=nfl,127505

A report late last week said the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator is a candidate to become the head coach at San Diego State.

The San Diego Union-Tribune, citing sources, said there are indications that Martz and former University of Minnesota coach Glen Mason are "persons of interest" in the search to replace Chuck Long.

Asked about the report, Martz said: "I would never discuss another job, no matter where it is. It's just not appropriate for me. I'm not dodging your question, but that's just not my thing. I'm happy with the job that I have and I'm trying to do the best I can at it, so we'll just leave it at that."

Martz, 57, was born in South Dakota and moved to San Diego at 8. He used to go to San Diego State games as a kid and watch Don Coryell's offensive powerhouses. Martz's first college coaching job was as an assistant at Mesa College in San Diego.

49ers Coach Mike Singletary declined to address Martz's potential candidacy.
I hope so. Lord knows we need someone to dig this squad out of the college football hell hole we're in. I didn't know he coached at Mesa. I might be playing there next year.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
The 49ers have confirmed a Press Democrat report that offensive coordinator Mike Martz is no longer a candidate for the San Diego State head-coaching position.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/12/niners-confirm-martz-is-not-a-candidate-at-sdsu.html
The San Diego Union-Tribune, citing a team spokesman, reported this morning that Martz is not in the running to replace Chuck Long, who was fired Nov. 22.

I've contacted the 49ers, and they confirm that they confirmed the report for the Union-Tribune. Got it? In other words, Martz is not going to SDSU.

Quarterback Shaun Hill is a candidate for the FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week. He's the first 49ers candidate for one of these awards this season. Fans can vote for Hill - or anyone they choose - by going to NFL.com/FedEX until 9 a.m. PST on Friday. If Hill wins, the local Safe Kids coalition in San Francisco will receive $1,000.

From the pages of today's Press Democrat . . . "Singletary's job status hovering over 49ers." We might have a litlte more to add on this subject later. Also, columnist Lowellcohn writes about Shaunhill: Click on the link, "49ers still not sold on Hill; why not?" and it'll all make sense http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20081208/sports/812080263

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers MUST Open Coaching Search
http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=313
I’ve gotten several comments and emails from our fans asking why we haven’t already gone ahead and hired Mike Singletary as our future coach.

While general manager Scot McCloughan has gone on record saying he’s very happy with how the team has responded under Singletary, he’s made no bones about the fact that the team needs to keep its focus on this season, not next.

“We’ll address the head coaching situation at the end of the season when it is appropriate,” said McCloughan. “Right now, we are using our energy on making sure that Coach has what he needs to succeed in these final games against Miami, St. Louis and Washington.”

Singletary also explained on Monday that everything he starts, he plans to finish and that his vision for the ballclub does exceeds 2008, but that all he has time for right now is getting the 49ers ready to make a statement on Sunday in Miami.

“Whenever you’re playing, it’s all about winning. All of the whatever-comes-off-after-that, that’s for everybody else,” said Singletary. “But, to me, whenever you’re going to play a football game, I don’t care what it is, I don’t care what it’s for. It’s about winning. It’s about making a statement. It’s about you have another opportunity. If you have another game, you have another opportunity to say, ‘This is who I am. This is who we are as a football team.’”

Under Singletary, the 49ers are 3-3 as a football team, a definite improvement in comparison to the team’s 2-5 start. But even if the 49ers DID want to choose Singletary as the team’s permanent head coach, they would not be able to under the current NFL guidelines. Teams are allowed to name an interim head coach without going through a formal interviewing process, but they must follow the mandatory interviewing process in choosing a new permanent head coach. Per NFL rules, no club may make a commitment to an interim head coach beyond the current playing season. Any contract that seeks to make such a commitment would not be approved by the NFL office.

Singletary pointed out in Monday’s presser that he’s a free agent at the end of the season, and that’s exactly how it has to stay as any negotiating between now and the end of the year would be prohibited by the above rule.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Coach Mike Singletary met with the media this morning to discuss several topics of interest with the 49ers set to play the Dolphins on Sunday.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/12/gores-status-for-sunday-does-not-look-great.html

The 49ers are scheduled to practice from 1:45 to 3:45 today. Here's the 49ers preliminary injury report:

RB Frank Gore (ankle) is not scheduled to practice today. Singletary already said it would be a game-time decision and that practice-squad running back Thomas Clayton would make the trip to Miami, in case he's needed.

Gore's sprain was on the inside of his ankle, Singletary said. In speaking with a physical-therapist friend of mine, it means the ankle rolled inside (that occurred when a couple players fell on him while he was on the ground). There's less range of motion that way. The ligament is very broad, thick and stable so it's harder to sprain. Thus, that makes it a little more difficult to return quickly.

CB Nate Clements (right thumb) he is having (or had) a pin removed from his thumb. He is not likely to practice today, but Singletary described his status for Sunday's game as "questionable."

WR Arnaz Battle (foot), C Eric Heitmann (abdomen), CB Marcus Hudson (concussion) are not scheduled to practice. Veterans Walt Harris, Justin Smith and Takeo Spikes are scheduled to get rest days.

KR/PR Allen Rossum (ankle) is scheduled for limited practice, and S Dashon Goldson might have a full slate of practice. WR Josh Morgan is no longer listed on the injury report.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Frank Updat
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=33485
The 49ers signed a player Wednesday, but it wasn't practice squad running back Thomas Clayton. Running back Carl Steward (6-1, 230), a former Buccaneer and Auburn Tiger was signed to the practice squad, which could free up Clayton to move to the active roster if Frank Gore's injured left ankle won't allow him to play Sunday in Miami.

Gore didn't practice Wednesday and probably won't practice for the rest of the week. Coach Mike Singletary indicated a decision might not be made until Sunday, and he said Clayton would make the trip to Florida in case he needs him for a last-minute call up. For now, DeShaun Foster is taking most of the turns in practice at running back.

A number of other players were held out of practice Wednesday, including center Eric Heitmann (abdominal strain), wide receiver Arnaz Battle (foot) cornerback Marcus Hudson (concussion), and linebacker Roderick Green (illness). Defensive end Justin Smith, linebacker Takeo Spikes and cornerback Walt Harris rested on Wednesday.

Cornerback Nate Clements (broken thumb that required a surgical pin insertion), and safety Dashon Goldson returned to practice without restriction. Kick returner Allen Rossum (ankle) was limited in practice.

DAVIS VS. PORTER: Remember the old Rodney Dangerfield joke about going to a fight and a hockey game broke out? That could apply to Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter and 49ers tight end Vernon Davis, two pugilistic, trash-talking sluggers, who could square off in the middle of Dolphins Stadium on Sunday. Porter, who's from Bakersfield, stated two years ago that he wanted to come to San Francisco. The 49ers weren't interested; they thought he was done. Instead he signed with Miami and this year he has 16.5 sacks.

Davis might be a better pass protecter than either Barry Sims or Adam Snyder and he could draw Porter's number often. Singletary said Porter lines up on the open side or the side without the tight end 98 percent of the time. So, Davis would have to motion over to block him, which could happen.

"If Vernon gets him, I'm sure I'm going to have to talk to Vernon this week and make sure that he doesn't get in the jaw-jacking competition," said Singletary who also said it could be like the WWF between Porter and Davis. With Davis's hot-head reputation teams try to bait him into a personal foul penalty. The Jets did it relentlessly but Davis never retaliated, which impressed quarterback Shaun Hill so much after the Jets game, he sent Davis a text praising his poise.

Nevertheless, the WWF could be the perfect landing spot for Davis and Porter after football. But don't be surprised if you show up at one of their matches and a football game breaks out.

THE STATE OF STALEY: A better match up for the 49ers would be to stick tackle Joe Staley on Porter. Sack totals have plummeted since Shaun Hill's insertion at quarterback, but that might have more to do with Staley than Hill. Hill still goes back into a seven-step as much as J.T. O'Sullivan did, but typically he doesn't get much heat from the left side. About the same time Hill was named the starter, Staley changed up his pass-protecting tactics.

Staley likes to attack the pass rusher, and get his hands on him quickly so he can control him. Most tackles don't have the athleticism to do that, but Staley is a rare athlete. Staley didn't do it last year as a rookie right tackle.

"Being a rookie, I just wanted to do what the coaches were telling me," Staley said. But with a year of seasoning, Staley told coaches he wanted to try it and so far, it's work well for him. Staley said he hasn't given up a sack since before the second Arizona game.

His duel with Porter might be the match-up to watch on Sunday.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
It's time for the Yorks to hire Scott Pioli as 49ers' president
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/12/SPC014MF1U.DTL

So it's settled. We've seen enough from Mike Singletary over the past six games to know he's got the personality, charisma and leadership qualities necessary to turn a listless 49ers roster into a cohesive team that hits hard, tackles well and can efficiently move an offense downfield to score.

It sounds so simple when you break it down like that, doesn't it? Teams such as the Giants, Titans, Colts, Steelers and Panthers get this done almost weekly, so they take quality football for granted. We don't.

So bravo to young 49ers owner Jed York, who made the midseason move from Mike Nolan to Singletary knowing the risks - his interim choice had zero head coaching experience. That took guts.

Now it's time for Jed to lead the York family in taking the next step in transforming the 49ers from a has-been franchise with a case full of dusty Lombardi Trophies into a 21st century football operation that can compete and win in today's NFL.

Hire a team president.

Make sure he is an experienced, dynamic football mind and personnel expert who knows how to navigate the complex world of NFL business and personalities.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean Mike Holmgren is the man for this job.

Sure, Holmgren has strong 49ers' ties and a personal history. He's beloved here, with good reason. He would satisfy those who yearn for the good ol' days under Eddie DeBartolo. But that era is over.

For all of Holmgren's great strengths as a coach and leader of men, his weaknesses as a personnel evaluator and glad-handing administrator were so obvious - Holmgren is a teacher, not an executive - that the Seahawks stripped him of his general manager duties in 2002.

Holmgren is built to coach. He's not in his element studying film of a 20-year-old cornerback from McNeese State, or struggling to get his payroll under the cap limit.

If not Holmgren, then who?

Look at the most successful NFL franchise this decade, the winner of three Super Bowl titles since 2002, for the answer.

Scott Pioli, 43, the Patriots vice president of player personnel, should be the Yorks' choice. This is the man - perhaps the most impressive young executive in the NFL - with whom the Yorks should entrust their entire franchise.

Let him run it his way. Let Pioli completely reorganize the 49ers football operation from a payroll and personnel standpoint. Allow Pioli and his people to run free agency and the draft, lifting this burden from Singletary so he can focus on what he does best - motivating and coaching players.

And the Yorks should stay out of the way while he does it.

Why Pioli?

-- He's been a pro personnel assistant, director and/or vice president with four NFL franchises (Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, New York Jets and Patriots, with whom he is in his ninth season).

-- Working alongside detail-oriented coach Bill Belichick has taught Pioli how a well-oiled front office operates. Belichick's personnel and coaching staff from Cleveland included Pioli, Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, Fresno State coach Pat Hill and former Raiders personnel chief-turned NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi. It's an impressive group of proteges.

Belichick is so meticulous in hiring and personnel matters, he's known to have backup lists of 10-12 coaches and players for every open position. Pioli has the same philosophy: Be very prepared. Be very smart.

Then there is this bit of football heritage - Pioli's father-in-law is a guy named Bill Parcells, who knows a little about the game.

-- Credibility. Having a proven commodity like Pioli in charge of the 49ers' football operation tells the NFL that the Yorks mean business as owners. That they recognize the need to bring a top football mind into their fold. In an instant, the franchise will go from irrelevant to significant - an important consideration now that the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players is set to expire at the end of the 2010 season, and business will not go on as usual.

-- Structure. The 49ers' recent record in the draft and free agency - 10 of the 22 starters come from drafts preceding the arrival of general manager Scot McCloughan - has given Singletary a roster that lacks overall quality, talent, experience and depth.

What's worse, since 2005 the 49ers have had two head coaches, four offensive coordinators, two defensive coordinators and two special teams coaches. There is no consistency in philosophy or scheme.

-- Track record. The Belichick/Pioli system is so highly regarded around the NFL that other franchises have copied it. Falcons owner Arthur Blank hired Thomas Dimitroff - the Patriots' director of college scouting - as his general manager in January.

Dimitroff, 42, has been effusive in his praise of the "Patriots Way" as his football model, and he used it to hire head coach Mike Smith, the Jaguars' respected defensive coordinator. He also employed it in drafting quarterback Matt Ryan No. 3 overall, a 14-game starter who is now being mentioned as an MVP candidate.

Singletary has earned the right to remain as the 49ers head coach. The owners should recognize that he's not the answer to what ails their franchise, but part of the solution.

Pioli may be reluctant to leave a sure thing, but he's also on the radar of several ailing NFL franchises that desperately need to rebuild. At some point, you figure Pioli will want to make his own mark apart from Belichick, to validate his career. The timing may be right.

Jed York made his mark this season by opting for Singletary. He should keep the momentum going by pursuing Pioli, before another team gets there first.