Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 16, 2005
I guess thats a good way to look at it.. you got a point.. he was gonna leave Denver regardless, even tho reports said he was still willing to remain a nugget (we all know that was bs, and NY is prolly tha only place he really wanted to go) so nuggets had to at least get something for him..

THIS RIGHT HERE, is my whole problem with this fiasco. He demanded trade out of town, He demanded exactly where he wanted to go. He turned down the nuggets offer numerous times bascially showing he didnt want to be around, but in front of cameras he acted like oh no I dont know whats going on I want to be here its all on the team.....that was my problem with melo and this whole fiasco

Jan 4, 2003
THIS RIGHT HERE, is my whole problem with this fiasco. He demanded trade out of town, He demanded exactly where he wanted to go. He turned down the nuggets offer numerous times bascially showing he didnt want to be around, but in front of cameras he acted like oh no I dont know whats going on I want to be here its all on the team.....that was my problem with melo and this whole fiasco
yeah he didn't want shit to get all leaked out to tha public... but by him turning down tha nuggets contract offers its obivous he wanted to play elsewhere.. in tha end Melo gets his way.. now just time to see how this will work out

Mar 24, 2006
No we didnt. You will be hard pressed to find 5 fans that dont like this trade. Sucks getting rid of chauncy, but he'll be back home soon enough. Melo was a bitch through this whole time denying everything and acting like a total primadonna asshole from day 1.

Most Denver fans like the trade and are glad its finally over. I think its funny now all of a sudden knicks are going to win in playoffs...so ummm when did melo and amare get that "winning" streak in them?

Melo's defense deficiency is going to get completly exposed now. sure Knicks mat score a few more, but now they will give up alot more points too.

I looove what we got in return. Now all we need to do is get rid of Kmarts contract and either get JR Smith to shape up or ship him out as well and we will have a young nucleus to build around and a boatload of picks to start with, as well as free'd up money for the free agent game.
those "boatload" of picks you got aren't shit though. a first round pick in 2014 and two 2nd round picks? 2014 is a ways away and by that time the knicks won't be picking in the lottery either.

Mar 16, 2005
those "boatload" of picks you got aren't shit though. a first round pick in 2014 and two 2nd round picks? 2014 is a ways away and by that time the knicks won't be picking in the lottery either.
its alot more than they would have got keeping melo and losing at end of season. I dont understand whats so hard to see in that?

Nov 24, 2003
Anyone who says this is a bad move for the knicks is a fucking idiot. Who cares what they had to give up, those guys are all replaceable. Melo is arguably the best scorer in the NBA. They won't be competing for a ring this year, but they will in the future, especially if they can grab CP3 or D. Williams

4th best in the East. Have fun losing to Boston, Miami, Orlando, Chicago and maybe even Atlanta :cheeky:

They better sign CP3 or D Will or the Clippers are gonna win a ring before them.

Mar 24, 2006
its alot more than they would have got keeping melo and losing at end of season. I dont understand whats so hard to see in that?
ofcourse its always going to be better to get atleast something instead of nothing, nobody in their right mind would argue that fact.

nuggets either could of gotten zilch for losing melo or they could have got some players and some picks, they ended up with the latter. although none of those players are on melo's level they still got 3 good to very good up and coming players in felton, galo and chandler.

who isn't understanding that? not me. im a knick fan, i wanted the knicks to stand pat and wait til the offseason to see if he wanted to be a knick as bad as he said. didn't happen obviously.

knicks got the better end of this deal because they got a superstar player that rarely comes along and a road tested pg in billups who's been there and done that already. not even mentioning that billups is a trade chip in the future to lure in yet another young superstar for the knicks aswell.

Mar 16, 2005
ofcourse its always going to be better to get atleast something instead of nothing, nobody in their right mind would argue that fact.

nuggets either could of gotten zilch for losing melo or they could have got some players and some picks, they ended up with the latter. although none of those players are on melo's level they still got 3 good to very good up and coming players in felton, galo and chandler.

who isn't understanding that? not me. im a knick fan, i wanted the knicks to stand pat and wait til the offseason to see if he wanted to be a knick as bad as he said. didn't happen obviously.

knicks got the better end of this deal because they got a superstar player that rarely comes along and a road tested pg in billups who's been there and done that already. not even mentioning that billups is a trade chip in the future to lure in yet another young superstar for the knicks aswell.
so far from what ive been reading and hearing, knickls fans are 50-50 on the trade, nuggets fans are in total agreement they like the trade, and most of the sports writers and radioheads are giving the nuggets a better grade than knicks on the trade.

On surface you guys got name, but it didnt really "Add" to the team. you lost the same amount of points per game you added, and took away from defense end, as well as youth and depth....all for the name of a "superstar".

nuggets on other hand, free'd cap space, got $$$, gained picks, and got something for someone that would have walked...all pluses when starting to rebuild.

Like I said, as a nuggets fan I have no problem with this trade and think it's great! You are in a 50/50 group of knicks fans, half love trade half agree the team gave up too much.

p.s. billups wont get yo umuch, 14 mil contract for a player on his last leg.....dont expect much in return. when yo uguys trade him it will be all for cap space, not of anything in return value. where as nuggets can trade felton and gain actual value all while not needing to pay 14 mil for an upper 30's PG

Mar 24, 2006
so far from what ive been reading and hearing, knickls fans are 50-50 on the trade, nuggets fans are in total agreement they like the trade, and most of the sports writers and radioheads are giving the nuggets a better grade than knicks on the trade.

On surface you guys got name, but it didnt really "Add" to the team. you lost the same amount of points per game you added, and took away from defense end, as well as youth and depth....all for the name of a "superstar".

nuggets on other hand, free'd cap space, got $$$, gained picks, and got something for someone that would have walked...all pluses when starting to rebuild.

Like I said, as a nuggets fan I have no problem with this trade and think it's great! You are in a 50/50 group of knicks fans, half love trade half agree the team gave up too much.

p.s. billups wont get yo umuch, 14 mil contract for a player on his last leg.....dont expect much in return. when yo uguys trade him it will be all for cap space, not of anything in return value. where as nuggets can trade felton and gain actual value all while not needing to pay 14 mil for an upper 30's PG
that 14 million contract of billups is coming off the books in the near future perfectly setup to help us get either cp3, williams or howard in 2012 though.

i can live with that, i can handle another year or two of average basketball out of new york if it means if in two+ years we'll be competing for titles. i mean i've already put up with how shitty they've been for over a decade now whats a year or two more gonna do? lol

May 3, 2002
The Nugs did not get screwed in this deal in any way, they tried to get a better deal from Jersey but Melo only wanted to go to the Knicks so they got the best that they could possible work with...I thought the Knicks would have been better off waiting til the offseason, but they got scared when they seen how much of a push Jersey was making. Now what I wanted, but it's better than nothing.

thebrain

@HuseyinTheBrain
Feb 16, 2008
Sacramento, CA
www.BrainChildMedia.com
posting an excerpt from my fantasy football/basketball/baseball blog i run. this was written by fantasy basketball guru matt b:

Thank God. Seriously. If you’re an NBA fan I guess you can’t help but get caught up in the soap opera drama that has (unfairly) taken away from the great basketball that has taken place on the court. Now that (the spoiled ‘brat’) Carmelo Anthony finally gets his wish in a trade to the Knicks, the rest of the NBA is free to continue doing business. What does this mean? And what else will happen from now until the end of the deadline 3:00pm EST Thursday?

As of right now, the Knicks have not gotten all that much better talent-wise. They gutted their entire starting 5 (except Amar’e) and lost some depth (and chemistry) off the bench. Best-case scenario for this season is that NYK slips into the 5th playoff seed and play the Magic in the first round. Realistically, they will remain the 6th seed and play dark horse against either the Chicago Bulls or Miami Heat in the first round. Although they remain fairly paltry in Championship contender conversations, the New York Knicks are believed to be heavily coveting Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, or maybe even Dwight Howard within the next year or so.

Here are some players that will be affected by this one trade so far:
Hot Players

Chauncey Billups (NYK) – Playing in Mike D’Antoni’s up-tempo system has always helped a player’s fantasy value. Billups was having a quiet (but good) season in Denver and now has been thrust back into the spotlight in New York. His points per game should remain around the 16-17 he’s averaging this year; his FG% should get a bump with two of the NBA’s elite scorers taking attention away from the defense; Billups should average close to 8 assists the remainder of the season; and his steals should also see a slight uptick.

Danilo Gallinari (DEN) – Galo was a key piece in the rebuilding stage for the Nuggets. He will immediately start at SF in place of Anthony and should get all the shots he desires. Look for Gallinari’s stats to remain steady, with a slight increase in points.

Arron Afflalo (DEN) – Afflalo is playing excellent basketball this year. He also happens to be in a contract year (amazing how money can motivate). Coach George Karl insisted on taking the Knicks trade offer for Carmelo over the NJ Nets offer because the Nuggets would still be able to compete for the playoffs this year. Afflalo should continue to see 35+ minutes a game and get a few more shots now Melo is out. His scoring should be around 15 per game from here on out.

Players Heating Up

Ty Lawson (DEN) – Lawson looks to benefit from Carmelo Anthony’s departure taking Denver’s former starting PG Chauncey Billups with him. Raymond Felton may push Lawson for the starting gig if he sticks around; but rumor has it he will be moved again before the deadline. Reference Lawson’s splits as a starter if you need proof.

Ronny Turiaf (NYK) – With the Knicks trading anyone not named Amar’e Stoudemire in their quest to land Melo, Turiaf stands to become the starting Center for the remainder of the season. If Ronny can hold onto the starting spot, he should provide owners a nice boost in blocks, decent boards and FG% since all he does is dunk.

Devin Harris (NJN) – Although the Nets were unable to land Carmelo Anthony and unload Harris; they are still looking for a suitable trade partner for the former All-Star. If he ends up in either Portland (for Andre Miller) or Denver (for recently acquired

Raymond Felton), Harris will have the green light to “light” it up.
Jury Out… Stay Tuned

Wilson Chandler (DEN) – Chandler was enjoying an excellent season prior to being traded to the Nuggets. If Chandler comes off the bench, his value will definitely take a hit. If Chandler seizes the starting PF slot, he may stay on pace to breakout with NBA scouts comparing his potential to Shawn Marion in his prime.

Corey Brewer (NYK) – If Brewer sticks around in a NY Knick uniform, he should benefit from playing in an up-tempo system and play a similar role off the bench former Knick Wilson Chandler played this season.

Timofey Mozgov (DEN) – Believed to be the key piece holding up the Carmelo deal. New York finally caved and traded their 7-foot Russian rookie to land the perennial all star Anthony. Interest in Mozgov may have been a smoke screen by Denver to gain more bargaining chips to flip for someone more desirable. The Nuggets are believed to be trying to move newly acquired Mozgov and Raymond Felton for Devin Harris. Wherever Mozgov ends up, he will remain an interesting player but most likely will not produce the stats that warrant universal ownership.

STAY TUNED AS FANTASYCOUCH.COM WILL COVER ALL THE TRADES AND AFTERMATH TO FOLLOW IN THE UPCOMING DAYS AHEAD

Sep 29, 2003
the knicks would have made the playoffs this year without Carmelo anyway....this looks like a move to win now. I never thought Carmelo was that great of a player anyway. He's overrated in my book. He is a natural scorer, but he plays lazy defense. There's a lot of players I would put over him in the NBA right now...Anyway, I don't think they made the offer to beat the Nets to the punch, because he wouldn't have gone to the Nets anyway.

I feel bad for Chauncy....this dude just wants to play and retire there. He doesnt want any drama.

I must say though, I think this is the going to be the best NBA playoffs in some time...

Aug 9, 2006
please explain how. the offenses arent much different, and now he has less threats around him to help relief defenses. I dont see him being much different of a player at all. close to same points & rebounds.
he didnt like playing for denver, hes playing with the best all around player hes ever played with in the leauge and they are looking to add more, im not saying hes going to come out this year and show out, but NYK made a power move to get relavent and denver, took many steps back

Jan 18, 2006
^^^ Sounds like a bitter Nuggets fan lol. Knicks were already a decent team now they can most likely get at least to the 2nd round of the playoffs