A QUESTION NO ONE WANTS TO ANSWER....WHATS THE SEATTLE SOUND?AS FAR AS HIP HOP GO'S.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
i think its a good thing there's so many flavors out here, i dont wanna here everybody soundin the same, its damn near gettin that way anyway. i agree every artist should grow, but grow for ur art & love of what u do. it'd be a sad day if i put in a twin g cd and it sounded like some soldier boy, i wanna put in twin cd to hear that grimey shit, that LAC type shit. keep doin what u do homie, u got ur lane and u been smashin in it
if you don't mind listening to people who steal their sound from else where, it's all to the good.

and no, i'm not talking about Twin. I'm talking about the back packers who sound like very fucking east coast back pack artist or ANY OTHER BP artist. that's WACK. WAAAAAAAAAACK. like Livio said. LOL. only this time it's TRUE.

And most of the "hip-hop" too...and it is fucking GARBAGE. a bunch of no talent ass clowns trying to sound like Talib Kwali or fuckin Shabababada Whozit....point being the name dont' matter...............................................................................seattle is FULL OF BITERS and STYLE TAKERS.

i like the old fts shit, ik, all that....crytical, dividenz...some of twin's shit....but as a TOTAL....seattle has a pretty horrific music scene, especially on the topic of ORIGINALITY. :)

btw, all caps is so i don't have to make it bold..i'm not yelling.

and i support anyone who hustles. whether or not i like their music. i appreciate hard work....unless the music really is that bad.

but i don't think seattle has an artist that could go national and make it BIG. sorry to say, well not really, that's just my opinion.

people who are dope, aren't hustlin their ass the fuck off.....people who aren't dope, hustle like hell cause they HAVE TO....

only 2 people come to mind who are doing a lot and get a lot of attention...MAYBE 3-4.....

cool nutz, syko, non stop......should i include Twin? i dunno....cause i only hear about him on here. but it appears he's doing more than most artists.

DLee

Sicc OG
Oct 9, 2002
www.turfgrindaz.com
Seattle is a very diverse place in regards to Hip Hop. And a lot of these rappers did what most rappers can not do in tha Northwest and California as well.... And that is build a fanbase. Artists like E-Dawg, Mafia, Twin G, FTS, Gangsta Nutt, Self Tightld, Grayskul, Blue Scholars, Cool Nutz, Boom Bap Project. These artists stayed consistent through the years. These are the names that I hear everyday in the streets. It is really hard to build a fanbase in the NW. We are finicky, hard to please and have a high standard for music.

But all these artists should be inspiration for up and coming artists. We should hold these artists in high regard for their contribution to Northwest Hip Hop and follow in their footsteps.

To me, tha Northwest has some of the best artists, producers, composers and lyricists. You are really an amazing artist if you can build a fanbase without radio, magazine and video exposure. The artists I mentioned have done that and deserve to be celebrated and honored.

PEACE & BLESSINGS

DLee

Sicc OG
Oct 9, 2002
www.turfgrindaz.com
if you don't mind listening to people who steal their sound from else where, it's all to the good.

and no, i'm not talking about Twin. I'm talking about the back packers who sound like very fucking east coast back pack artist or ANY OTHER BP artist. that's WACK. WAAAAAAAAAACK. like Livio said. LOL. only this time it's TRUE.

And most of the "hip-hop" too...and it is fucking GARBAGE. a bunch of no talent ass clowns trying to sound like Talib Kwali or fuckin Shabababada Whozit....point being the name dont' matter...............................................................................seattle is FULL OF BITERS and STYLE TAKERS.

i like the old fts shit, ik, all that....crytical, dividenz...some of twin's shit....but as a TOTAL....seattle has a pretty horrific music scene, especially on the topic of ORIGINALITY. :)

btw, all caps is so i don't have to make it bold..i'm not yelling.

and i support anyone who hustles. whether or not i like their music. i appreciate hard work....unless the music really is that bad.

but i don't think seattle has an artist that could go national and make it BIG. sorry to say, well not really, that's just my opinion.

people who are dope, aren't hustlin their ass the fuck off.....people who aren't dope, hustle like hell cause they HAVE TO....

only 2 people come to mind who are doing a lot and get a lot of attention...MAYBE 3-4.....

cool nutz, syko, non stop......should i include Twin? i dunno....cause i only hear about him on here. but it appears he's doing more than most artists.
I really don't post on here as much, but I do come and checkout the posts. And everytime I read your post, they are so negative and hateful. I mean I understand if you do not like Northwest artists. I respect that. But it just seems that you have a lot of personal hate in your heart for local music. Like some of these local artists did something to you and your taking your revenge by spitting a lot of venom.

I don't know, I am not attacking you. I am just stating an observation. As far as being biters and style takers.I disagree. That is music! You take a style, a flow, a sound and you make it your own. That is how music has progressed.

Now a lot of National artists have come to the Northwest to get their "sound" such as E-40, Busta Rhymez, D12, 50 Cent, etc. through our very talented producers such as FunkDaddy, Bosko, Jake One, Vitamin D, Tha Bizznizz. We have helped create the Bay sound through our producers. The Down South sound known as Crunk music can be traced back to Sir-Mix-Alot's "Posse On Broadway" in the mid 80s. It wasn't called Crunk". But we were known for that slowed, heavy bass sound. A lot of these down south, platinum artists were big fans of Sir-mix-alot.

PEACE & BLESSINGS

Apr 10, 2006
WOW INTERESTING THREAD.

IMO, WEN I THINK OF SEATTLE HIP HOP, THE 1ST WORD THAT POPS IN2 MY HEAD 2 DESCRIBE THE ARTISTS WOULD BE "LYRICISTS". MAYBE ITS JUST BECAUSE I'VE ONLY HEARD A HANDFUL OF SEA RAPPERS, SUCH AS NEEMA, DIVIDENZ, SONNY BONOHO, FTS, N ALL OF STREET LEVEL ARTISTS, N A FEW OTHERS THAT I CAN'T SEEM TO RECALL AT DA MOMENT. NO MATTER WHAT STYLE OF "RAP MUSIC" THEY DO, MOST OF THE TIME THEY ARE COMING WIT SUM SICK ASS LYRICS DAT MAKE U THINK BOUT SHIT N THEY GOT SUM GRIMY PUNCH LINES. I'VE PERSONALLY ALWAYS FELT THAT DUDES LIKE DIVIDENZ SONNY N NEEMA ALWAYS HAD THAT POTENTIAL TO "BLOW UP" NATIONWIDE CUZ THEIR SOUND IS UNIQUE BUT AT THE SAME TIME UNIVERSAL, ESPECIALLY SONNY'S.

NOW I KNOW THERE ARE PLENTY MORE ARTISTS IN SEATTLE THAN JUS DA ONES I MENTIONED N I KNOW THERE'S PLENTY OF OTHER STYLES BEIN DONE IN DA 206 BUT 2 ME THE "LAID BACK LYRICAL" STYLE IS WAT I REALLY FEEL FROM DA 206. N DIS IS COMING FROM A VATO IN DA 509 HA.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I really don't post on here as much, but I do come and checkout the posts. And everytime I read your post, they are so negative and hateful. I mean I understand if you do not like Northwest artists. I respect that. But it just seems that you have a lot of personal hate in your heart for local music. Like some of these local artists did something to you and your taking your revenge by spitting a lot of venom.

I don't know, I am not attacking you. I am just stating an observation. As far as being biters and style takers.I disagree. That is music! You take a style, a flow, a sound and you make it your own. That is how music has progressed.
I don't hate anyone or anything. And I'm not mad. I'm just saying what I think. There are a few original artists and producers in the NW. But not that many. You just said the NW is hard to please, well, here you have it. I'm a prime example. I don't listen to bullshit, shitty production, shitty mixing, etc. I don't have time for that and I'm sure not paying money for it. If I work for my money, the artist better work for theirs and make a good quality album all around. That's what gets me. The only albums from the NW that I can listen to, all the way through or almost all the way through, is Neema's "My Life For Sale," and FTS's "Money Motivated," "Full Time Soldiers," and the IK, Byrdie, and Syko albums. Along with some shit that I have that's not out yet but that doesn't really count.

And if these people have progressed so much by absorbing other styles and evolving them, how come they aren't making noise at all? If it's such a progressive move to try to sound like someone else mixed with yourself, I think it would have created success for some people in the NW.

To me, the artists in the NW that are the best, don't sound like everyone else. Cool Nutz doesn't sound like everyone else. Dividenz doesn't sound liek everyone else, Crytical, BD, Mafia, Neema don't sound like other people.

I am the ultimate critic of NW music. That's why I use to write the reviews on Raptalk when I was an administrator on there. Cause I don't give a shit about people's feelings and what they think. I'm going to be honest about what I think. And if people don't like it, it's probably cause it hits home a little too close. If the shoe fits wear it, I've been saying lately.

Like I said, I don't hate anyone, or their music. But I do think that if people are going to act like they can walk the walk they should be willing to do the work behind it.

There's really not that many REALLY good NW artists. There's cats that are okay, and I'll listen to them. But I can count on my two hands the number of NW artists who I actually follow. And some of them aren't even rappers.

Some of the best NW music isn't rap, in my honest opinion.

I respect and support all the people who are putting their full effort into doing their music and hustlin. I do respect that. Only a fool knocks someone who's making something good and doing well for themself. But not everyone is putting out GOOD music. And if you're an artist, your name is based on your music. There's way too many faggots like Khevlar running around claiming to be the next homosexual roofie taking Eminem. lol :)

DLee

Sicc OG
Oct 9, 2002
www.turfgrindaz.com
I don't hate anyone or anything. And I'm not mad. I'm just saying what I think. There are a few original artists and producers in the NW. But not that many. You just said the NW is hard to please, well, here you have it. I'm a prime example. I don't listen to bullshit, shitty production, shitty mixing, etc. I don't have time for that and I'm sure not paying money for it. If I work for my money, the artist better work for theirs and make a good quality album all around. That's what gets me. The only albums from the NW that I can listen to, all the way through or almost all the way through, is Neema's "My Life For Sale," and FTS's "Money Motivated," "Full Time Soldiers," and the IK, Byrdie, and Syko albums. Along with some shit that I have that's not out yet but that doesn't really count.

And if these people have progressed so much by absorbing other styles and evolving them, how come they aren't making noise at all? If it's such a progressive move to try to sound like someone else mixed with yourself, I think it would have created success for some people in the NW.

To me, the artists in the NW that are the best, don't sound like everyone else. Cool Nutz doesn't sound like everyone else. Dividenz doesn't sound liek everyone else, Crytical, BD, Mafia, Neema don't sound like other people.

I am the ultimate critic of NW music. That's why I use to write the reviews on Raptalk when I was an administrator on there. Cause I don't give a shit about people's feelings and what they think. I'm going to be honest about what I think. And if people don't like it, it's probably cause it hits home a little too close. If the shoe fits wear it, I've been saying lately.

Like I said, I don't hate anyone, or their music. But I do think that if people are going to act like they can walk the walk they should be willing to do the work behind it.

There's really not that many REALLY good NW artists. There's cats that are okay, and I'll listen to them. But I can count on my two hands the number of NW artists who I actually follow. And some of them aren't even rappers.

Some of the best NW music isn't rap, in my honest opinion.

I respect and support all the people who are putting their full effort into doing their music and hustlin. I do respect that. Only a fool knocks someone who's making something good and doing well for themself. But not everyone is putting out GOOD music. And if you're an artist, your name is based on your music. There's way too many faggots like Khevlar running around claiming to be the next homosexual roofie taking Eminem. lol :)
All the artists I mentioned are successful and sell records from producers to rappers, etc.

And poor quality music is everywhere in every region. But I can guarantee that the artists I mentioned are very successful and are selling records and going on tour and living off their art. That is success and that is progression. And just because you do not like them does not mean their music is garbage. It just isn't your taste.

Now as far as why they aren't mainstream? Well it's simple! There is no mainstream exposure here is the NW. There are no outlets for exposure in Seattle. You have to do what our forefathers have done in the past from Ray Charles, Quincy Jones, Jimmy Hendrix, Nirvana, Pearl Jam; you have to travel to other regions and promote yourself in order to go mainstream.

And you do sound hateful. You offer no positivity in your comments. Just negativity. I respect what your saying, but if you aren't part of the solution, you are apart of the problem.

PEACE & BLESSINGS

DLee

Sicc OG
Oct 9, 2002
www.turfgrindaz.com
seattle sound is an album with half d-sane beats. we all knooooww thiissss mmmmmaaaaaaannnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I definately agree with you on that point. If there was an original Seattle Sound. I agree D-Sane is the creator. His albums did not sound like anyother region. It was West Coast, but it was Seattle. And I definately should have mentioned him in my list.

Neema is another artist that I should have mentioned as well in the list. He gets it, he gets what being a hungry artist is. He has reached a level of success via shows and radio play and even scored a distribution deal with Koch aka E1Music. You can still catch him out there hustling with other artists. I respect that. He is a true artist and hustler. I have witnessed this first hand. He gets my respect.

PEACE & BLESSINGS

Apr 7, 2004
I do wont to see an artist blow out the northwest doesn't matter who or what state. Somebody just get on. There's a lot of producers doing big things but most producers are behind the scene. We need a artist at the for front putting in work. Me being an artist out the northwest would like to get on no doubt but I would love to see anybody get on period.

Cats need to form a movement you know. A big ass group of all serious northwest artist grinding and push

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
All the artists I mentioned are successful and sell records from producers to rappers, etc.

And poor quality music is everywhere in every region. But I can guarantee that the artists I mentioned are very successful and are selling records and going on tour and living off their art. That is success and that is progression. And just because you do not like them does not mean their music is garbage. It just isn't your taste.

Now as far as why they aren't mainstream? Well it's simple! There is no mainstream exposure here is the NW. There are no outlets for exposure in Seattle. You have to do what our forefathers have done in the past from Ray Charles, Quincy Jones, Jimmy Hendrix, Nirvana, Pearl Jam; you have to travel to other regions and promote yourself in order to go mainstream.

And you do sound hateful. You offer no positivity in your comments. Just negativity. I respect what your saying, but if you aren't part of the solution, you are apart of the problem.

PEACE & BLESSINGS
I do more than people think I do. I just don't talk about it. So you really don't know who I've sold cd's with or promoted with or for or shot videos for or done advertising campaigns for or how many albums I've reviewed or who I've done graphics for or any of that. Like I said, I don't toot my horn on that. Until people act like I don't know shit and never did shit or still don't do shit.

It really doesn't matter cause you're not going to change my opinion. And it was never my intention to change yours.

When someone does something good, I say something to them about it, something positive.

If someone is doing something I don't have anything negative to say. If I did, that would be hater shit. Me telling people who dont' have their shit together, to get their shit together, is just a boost of help and a reality check for them that if they don't shape up they better get or keep their day job.

If someone puts out a dope album I'll say so. If it's not tight, I'll give reason as to why I don't like it.

In regard to the bold, are you on here enough to tell me what I do and don't say at all times? Tell me I've never said anything positive cause you'd be lying. So don't speak on subjects you really don't "know" for sure. I'm not sittin here talking about what YOU do, so don't talk about what you think I might do and act as if it's written by Jesus or something. :)

And I think you missed my point about the mainstream thing. But it's okay cause I'm kinda sick of typing anyway.

Neema is another artist that I should have mentioned as well in the list.
That's okay, I named him for you earlier.

Btw, you should go to summer jam and check out Divine Legacy Music Group. They're doing "The Show before the Show."

Apr 10, 2006
@ localstar i feel you homie, da best way 4 da NW to get shine "mainstream" wise is if we all bond together n help each other out. Thats wat i respect about both Notes and Neema. da group i am in(elevation 420) is just a local group in da wenatchee valley but wen i reached out to both notes and neema for verses, they wur both cool enough to drop 16s on a couple of tracks. they undastand they we all need 2 help each other out because thats da way 2 win bigtime.

Jul 5, 2009
I AGREE WITH D LEE 100% I WOULD SAY THEIRS A LOT MORE TO SEATTLE THEN GANGSTA RAP YOU GOT JAKE ONE VITAMIN D BLUE SOLAR AN SO ON BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY WE ALL HAVE A FAN BASE SOME ARE BIGGER THEN OTHERS BUT REGARDLESS OF HOW PEOPLE LOOK AT IT WE ALL HAVE SET A MARK IN THE SEATTLE SOUND AN IN SEATTLE HIP HOP.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
i recommend B-Ill's "The Silver Disc".....it's pretty dope.

and yeah there is more to seattle than just gangster rap...but for the most part...it's really the only decent shit that doesn't sound like it was recorded poorly...i mean some of the hip hop is good...and R&b....

but i'm not really talking about established artists. if you (DLEE) haven't picked up on that by now without me having to say this then I dunno what to tell you....besides...i'm not talking about established artists....or artists with a somewhat decent fan base.

i'm talking about faggots like Khevlar, as I already said. Who put out bullshit and think they're Eminem or some stupid shit like that. I dislike music from people who don't know what the fuck they're doing and try to sell it. Or people who just plain can't rap, or produce, or do anything. and then act like they can and they're going to sell 1 million records.

Everyone in Seattle raps. Didn't you guys know? And everyone is a producer and owns their own label...lol...that's what I think is stupid. And that's where the sound to me gets fucked up.

I've seen both sides of the coin. I've seen people with professional studios with their shit together and I've seen shit that's really fucking garbage. I've listened to good and bad music. And I've listened enough, to know that Seattle doesn't have it's own personal sound, minus some old FTS shit and all that.

I'm sure a lot of you would be surprised how many people feel that way. Today, I heard at least 3 people say that Seattle's shit sounds like THE BAY or the EAST COAST. lol.....and that really makes me :(

Since I'm sure I'm going to be asked where I heard this.....summer jam.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
@ localstar i feel you homie, da best way 4 da NW to get shine "mainstream" wise is if we all bond together n help each other out. Thats wat i respect about both Notes and Neema. da group i am in(elevation 420) is just a local group in da wenatchee valley but wen i reached out to both notes and neema for verses, they wur both cool enough to drop 16s on a couple of tracks. they undastand they we all need 2 help each other out because thats da way 2 win bigtime.
neema is a good dude, period. i don't know notes as well but from what i do know he's cool too.

good artists need to band together and squash out that bullshit though.

DLee

Sicc OG
Oct 9, 2002
www.turfgrindaz.com
I do more than people think I do. I just don't talk about it. So you really don't know who I've sold cd's with or promoted with or for or shot videos for or done advertising campaigns for or how many albums I've reviewed or who I've done graphics for or any of that. Like I said, I don't toot my horn on that. Until people act like I don't know shit and never did shit or still don't do shit.

It really doesn't matter cause you're not going to change my opinion. And it was never my intention to change yours.

When someone does something good, I say something to them about it, something positive.

If someone is doing something I don't have anything negative to say. If I did, that would be hater shit. Me telling people who dont' have their shit together, to get their shit together, is just a boost of help and a reality check for them that if they don't shape up they better get or keep their day job.

If someone puts out a dope album I'll say so. If it's not tight, I'll give reason as to why I don't like it.

In regard to the bold, are you on here enough to tell me what I do and don't say at all times? Tell me I've never said anything positive cause you'd be lying. So don't speak on subjects you really don't "know" for sure. I'm not sittin here talking about what YOU do, so don't talk about what you think I might do and act as if it's written by Jesus or something. :)

And I think you missed my point about the mainstream thing. But it's okay cause I'm kinda sick of typing anyway.

That's okay, I named him for you earlier.

Btw, you should go to summer jam and check out Divine Legacy Music Group. They're doing "The Show before the Show."
@ I Am,

You do sound like you are tooting your own horn. And homie! I am recognized in this scene. Anybody who is making noise either knows me or has heard about me. I have been apart of the music business since 99. I helped a lot of artists careers. Not just locally, but on a Major Record label scale. I helped promote for Naught By Nature, JaY'z Hard Knock Life Tour, Pink (Before she blewup), Warren G., Black Eyed Peas, Public Enemy, I am talking about promotion and marketing strategies. I negotiated a record contract for SCUM with Swizz Beats record label Full Surface Records. And they can vouch for that. They were going to be the 1st group signed to Full Surface back in 2000; before they fucked it up. and before that, I had a distribution deal for them with Southwest down in Texas, which at the time was the biggest independent distribution in the US.

I can give you names of Prominent Producers, Promoters and Artists who will speak highly of me. So please don't act like I don't know what I am talking about. And homie if you are a factor in the Northwest Hip Hop scene, then I know you personally or I know about you. And that's as real as it gets.

And they know me by Cin'atra.

And I can tell you with authority who got the streets on lock right now. It's Mafia, Twin G, Gangsta Nutt, Neema, 151, Dough, Outrageous and Reason Records.

And I do business with those who got their shit together. I am talking about business plans, promotional and markerting budgets and contracts for their artists.

Other than that. You do you and I will do me. It's nothing personal, but you do sound a lil brittle. I respect your opinion. and I wasn't trying to change it.

PEACE & BLESSINGS

Jul 5, 2009
LOL EVERYONE KNOWS WHO GOT THE TOWN ON LOCK UNLESS YOU BEEN UNDER A ROCK BUT LIKE I SAID THE TOWN IS BIGGER THEN ME BUT THOSE WHO ARE IN LOVE WITH GANGSTA RAP CAN GIVE A FUCK LESS WHO IS BIGGER IF IT AINT HOT OR HOOD MUSIC