A QUESTION NO ONE WANTS TO ANSWER....WHATS THE SEATTLE SOUND?AS FAR AS HIP HOP GO'S.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 5, 2009
A QUESTION NO ONE WANTS TO ANSWER....WHATS THE SEATTLE SOUND?AS FAR AS HIP HOP GO'S.UP HERE YOU GOT YOUR GANGSTA RAP,YOUR BACKPACKERS YOUR CONSCIOUS RAPPERS THE THING IS I CAN HONESTLY SAY UNLIKE MOST CITY'S WITH 500 RAPPERS NO ONE AN NO GROUP IN MY OPINION SOUND ALIKE WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS ON THAT?

Oct 23, 2006
A QUESTION NO ONE WANTS TO ANSWER....WHATS THE SEATTLE SOUND?AS FAR AS HIP HOP GO'S.UP HERE YOU GOT YOUR GANGSTA RAP,YOUR BACKPACKERS YOUR CONSCIOUS RAPPERS THE THING IS I CAN HONESTLY SAY UNLIKE MOST CITY'S WITH 500 RAPPERS NO ONE AN NO GROUP IN MY OPINION SOUND ALIKE WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS ON THAT?

There is a shit load of conscious rap with beats that sound like they came from the east coast. I don't listen to much of it though, it just aint my shit. Then you got cats in the middle like the Grynch just spittin some good ol hip hop shit with a mixture of styles in the beats. Then you got the crazy dark evil gangsta shit that was takin over around 2000 w/the SLR FTS, IK type shit, I would also put Lock N Load an Red Head Steve in this category. And finally we got Twin G, 151 an the Lac, Crytical, an shit like that which I would just put in your general west coast gangsta category. That being said there truly is a diverse sound in Seattle rap. I cant wait to hear that new shit Twin , be sure to hit us w/a pay pal link when it drops.

Aug 4, 2002
www.soundclick.com
i have been tryin to create a "sound" for tacoma myself..

this area (because of military, maybe not) seems to have a lot of transplant mutha fuckas.

i cant tell if these cats are from other states or just posers that wish they were from other states, but A1 said it pretty well, cosign on that

Jul 5, 2009
WELL AM WORKING ON MY 6TH ALBUM AN I WANNA BE HALF WAY DONE WITH THAT BEFORE I RELEASE THE I SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE THAT'S THE WAY I HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT...BE DONE WITH NEW SHIT AS YOU DROP OTHER NEW SHIT IT GIVES ME TIME TO PROMOTE WHATS COMING THAT'S HOW I STAY LOOKING CONSISTENT ....ANYWAYS BUT I THINK FOR ALONG TIME SEATTLE HAS HAD A IDENTITY ISSUE YOU GOT SOME WHO WANNA BE THERE OWN STAND UP RAPPER AN DO THERE OWN THING LIKE ME THEN YOU GOT NIGGAS WHO WILL FOLLOW ANY AN EVERY THING THEY HEAR ON MTV BUT THERE OWN LOCAL SHIT THEIRS NO SECRET WE ARE INFLUENCE BY THE BAY AREA...WELL UNTIL THE HYPEY MOVEMENT CAME ALONG WE WERE NOT TO MUCH FEELING THAT OTHER THAN MAC DRE,I JUST THINK EVERYTHING WE ARE AN HAVE ATTEMPTED TO DO HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BY SOME ONE WHO HAS ALREADY BLOWN UP AN TOOK HALF THERE STATE WITH THEM....NELLY.....THEN CAME CHINGY THEN CAME ST LUNATICS THEN THE ATL RAPPERS THE TEXAS RAPPERS THE MIAMI RAPPERS AN SO ON AN THEY ALL HAD 1 THING IN COMMON THEY HAD SIMILAR SOUND....WERE STILL STUCK IN THE RAIN AT THE CORNER OF THE MAP WHATS WRONG SEATTLE?

Apr 7, 2004
I used to stay out that way and Im still out there all the time I just don't live there. What I learned when I was out there about Seattle/Tacoma and surrounding cities. Is there's a lot of people stuck in 96. 151 and his camp made good music. Quality mixed and coo beats... But the cds I did cop from 151 and cats under his umbrella there production sounded like it was based of C-bo's enemy of the state. Nothing wrong with it plus I know 151 and c-bo was doing the music real tuff in the awol days. But it's 2009, as the years go on artist should grow right with the years feel me. What sounds good to an artist today might sound old and played out. Now you will keep your core fans but miss out on making new ones. Look at lil'wayne for an example.. Dude been around since 96 and has managed to change with the times and keep gaining fans.
You have cats like unexpected arrival(Neema) that kind of blew up out there when I lived out there. Was it because he was the dopest mc in Seattle/Tacoma? I would say no but he hustled his ass of and his sound was different from what cats in the area was used to. Meaning people where drawn to it because it was different and it sounded good.
back-pack/spoken word artist are always going to have a core fan base but it only can grow so big. I think there is no big problem with the music except cats need to grow with the times. Ask people you sale a cd to what kind of music you into right now. What's in your ipod/cd deck. It will give you an idea of what people are feeling. Don't copy cat the style but try to moved ahead of that style so you can catch the next gravy train.

Jul 5, 2009
I AGREE WITH BOTH OF YOU HOWEVER AS FAR AS ACCESS TO PRODUCERS AM MAYBE THE ONLY DUDE WHO DON'T FUCK WITH LOCAL BEAT MAKERS OTHER THAN D SANE AN ROC-PHELLA NOW AS FAR AS CHANGING WITH THE TIMES (I SPEEK FOR MYSELF BY THE WAY)I THINK ALLOT OF PRODUCERS ARE AFRAID TO FUCK WITH ME UP HERE CUZ OF THE KINDA MUSIC I PUSH AN WHAT I TALK ABOUT...SO WHAT DOES AN ARTIST DO START RAPPING ABOUT POPPIN BOTTLES?I DON'T DRINK, DOING MY THANG IN THE CLUB...EVERY TIME I TRY THE CLUB THING I END UP BEAT THE FUCK OUT SOME NIGGA I DONT LIKE FOR STREET REASONS...LOL SO I DON'T CLUB...TRUE ARTIST MAKE MUSIC ABOUT SHIT THEY CAN RELATE TO AN GOOD MUSIC IS GOOD MUSIC REGARDLESS OF THE RAPPER OR PRODUCER CUZ RADIO PLAY MEANS NOTHIN IN THE NORTHWEST THAT'S WHY MY MARKET HAS NEVER BEEN THAT...AN AM HAPPY WITH THAT AN APPARENTLY SO IS MY FANS.NOW AS FAR AS GUEST APPEARANCES LOL YOUR RIGHT BOUT THAT SAME OLE NIGGAS HOPING ON EVERY ONE SHIT AN ITS USUALLY SOME RAPPER THAT AINT EVEN HOT OR DOING NOTHIN AT THE TIME.MY THING IS THAT THERE'S ALLOT OF POLITICS IN THIS BUSINESS UP HERE AN YOU GOTTA SQUEEZE IN BETWEEN THE BULLSHIT OR GIVE THE MIDDLE FINGER...WITCH IS WHAT I FIND MYSELF DOING.....I HAD A SINGLE WITH SIR MIX A LOT....THEY DIDN'T WANNA PLAY IT UNLESS I PAYED THEM...SEE SHIT LIKE THAT ITS CRAZY

Aug 4, 2002
www.soundclick.com
dang, well said TG.. i need to get my weight up and start fuckin with some cats like you

im doing my low budget thing in the tac, got alot of local cats talkin bout it, how they love the music.. but as for market-a-bility, not so much towards "radio" sound

cats like mike marshal are pushin these online radio sites, and there may be something to that, we need a way to broadcast REAL NW RAP to our fans, without upsetting the little wayne and TI fans, who in return do nothing but hate on cats that want to be different

IMO hip hop or rap lasted this long because it started with dudes with no money. now hip hop is ALL ABOUT how RICH u are.. shouldnt that be a bad thing when it comes to an artist making music about strugglin? dude got diamonds in his teeth and his neighbors kids are runnin around neked outside..

i got issues with hip hop period.. we grew up on this shit, and wtf do they leave us with?

Apr 7, 2004
dang, well said TG.. i need to get my weight up and start fuckin with some cats like you

im doing my low budget thing in the tac, got alot of local cats talkin bout it, how they love the music.. but as for market-a-bility, not so much towards "radio" sound

cats like mike marshal are pushin these online radio sites, and there may be something to that, we need a way to broadcast REAL NW RAP to our fans, without upsetting the little wayne and TI fans, who in return do nothing but hate on cats that want to be different

IMO hip hop or rap lasted this long because it started with dudes with no money. now hip hop is ALL ABOUT how RICH u are.. shouldnt that be a bad thing when it comes to an artist making music about strugglin? dude got diamonds in his teeth and his neighbors kids are runnin around neked outside..

i got issues with hip hop period.. we grew up on this shit, and wtf do they leave us with?
lil'wayne and T.I have a pretty big fanbase lol... I would say if you can get a coo fan base in your area your good. Just keep doing shows even if it's open mic with 10-20 people there. Thats 10-20 people you could gain and will tell there friends about u. Twin G I know you got a coo fan base. I swear it don't matter where I go somebody has your cd in there house or car. Blowing up is not a big deal if your eating or else you wont the flashing lights aspect of the game.

Mar 21, 2005
www.myspace.com
Album Information
Swass

* Released: 1988
* Chart Positions: #82 US, #20 R&B/Hip-Hop
* Last RIAA certification: Platinum
* Singles: "Posse on Broadway", "Gold," "Iron Man", "Rippin'"

Seminar

* Released: 1989
* Chart Positions: #67 US, #25 Top Hip Hop/R&B
* Last RIAA certification: Gold
* Singles: "Beepers", "I'll Roll You Up", "I Got Game"

Mack Daddy

* Released: February 4, 1992
* Chart Positions: #9 US, #19 Top R&B/Hip-Hop
* Last RIAA certification: Platinum
* Singles: "Baby Got Back", "One Time's Got No Case"

Chief Boot Knocka

* Released: July 19, 1994
* Chart Positions: #69 US, #28 Top R&B/Hip-Hop
* Last RIAA certification: None
* Singles: "Put 'Em on the Glass", "Let It Beaounce"

Return of the Bumpasaurus

* Released: August 27, 1996
* Chart Positions: #123 US, #55 Top R&B/Hip-Hop
* Singles: "Jump on It"

Daddy's Home

* Released: September 9, 2003
* Chart Positions: Did Not Chart
* Singles: "Big Johnson", "Y'all Don't Know", "At the Next Show"

I saw MixALot perform in Redding, CA and he RIPPED IT! I have always loved his ORIGINAL SOUND...!

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
That being said there truly is a diverse sound in Seattle rap.
That's cause most sounds like music that originated somewhere else. Like the east coast beats, I agree. I actually agree on a lot of that. But it's all sounds that didn't really come out of Seattle. Which I guess is fine, it's up to the listener to be the judge.

Jan 30, 2005
www.myspace.com
i think its a good thing there's so many flavors out here, i dont wanna here everybody soundin the same, its damn near gettin that way anyway. i agree every artist should grow, but grow for ur art & love of what u do. it'd be a sad day if i put in a twin g cd and it sounded like some soldier boy, i wanna put in twin cd to hear that grimey shit, that LAC type shit. keep doin what u do homie, u got ur lane and u been smashin in it