**2010-2011 SF Giants off season thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 4, 2006
Chree...remember what I said about Pablo....he's gonna be doing wonders in the regular season!

I think his weight was the problem and now that he's in shape..he's gonna be a beast ...

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
Hinshaw has some pretty good stuff, he just needs to learn how to control it. He needs to learn some type of control before he runs out of options.

The Giants see something in him, they drafted him three times.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Cody Ross Hopes For Long-Term Deal With Giants
By Mark Polishuk [March 1 at 8:11pm CST]

Cody Ross and his agent approached the Giants on the very first day of Spring Training to discuss a contract extension, reports Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News. Ross is eager to sign a multiyear deal with the club, even if it means possibly passing up a free agent contract elsewhere next winter.

"I've let them know that's what I want," Ross said. "Free agency would be cool to experience, but I know what this team is about and where it's going. We have a great thing here, and I want to stay."

It's not surprising that Ross would want to remain in San Francisco, both for the long-term stability and due to his performance since joining the team. The Marlins let Ross go to the Giants on a waiver claim in August, and Ross posted an .819 OPS in 82 plate appearances down the stretch. The outfielder then exploded in the postseason, hitting .294/.390/.686 with five home runs and capturing the NLCS MVP award as the Giants went on to win the World Series.

Ross obviously has no regrets with how things turned out last summer, though he admitted to being upset over being let go by Florida.

"It's almost like a slap in the face," Ross said. "I was willing to sign an extension there even though it's not the greatest place to play. They were building a nucleus for when their new stadium opened. I was comfortable there and liked it. You pour your heart and soul out for an organization for 4 1/2 years, and all of a sudden they're like, 'See ya.' "

Ross, arbitration-eligible for the last time this winter, signed a one-year, $6.3MM deal for 2011 and will be a free agent next winter. As Baggarly points out, San Francisco's outfield depth and Ross' average career numbers (a .788 OPS in seven Major League seasons) will likely mean that the club will wait for the offseason to discuss a possible extension, though Giants VP Bobby Evans told Ross' agent that they will continue negotiations later in the spring.

It wouldn't be the first time the Giants have given a multiyear deal to a veteran, but given the club's spotty-at-best track record with these contracts, it's best for the champs to wait to see how Ross performs in 2011 before locking him up. Baggarly notes that San Francisco's claim for Ross was made primarily to prevent him from going to the Padres, so it's not like the Giants acquired Ross with the intent on making him a long-term answer in right field. (In a separate item, Baggarly notes that San Diego actually didn't put in a claim of their own for Ross.)

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
# Bruce Jenkins of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote today that Barry Zito is "walking a thin line" within the organization and that there's "exasperation" with Zito. Jenkins reported that Zito doesn't have a guaranteed rotation spot and wrote that Zito would not be wearing a Giants uniform by 2013, the last guaranteed year on his contract.
# As Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports, Zito was stunned by the report. Giants manager Bruce Bochy told the left-hander that the Chronicle report was the first he'd heard of the team's frustration. Zito walked five of the 13 hitters he faced in his spring debut.

Mar 12, 2010
who hasnt had enough of zito i appreciate what he did at the start of last season but he has to get his game tight with all that cash he is making. his hanging curve balls havent been worth what he has been making since he has donned the orange and black.

From what righetti said on an interview i guess he has been going thru hard times with his parents being sick the past couple years and finally with his mom passing not to long ago so i guess that could be what is effecting his focus. what it all boils down to though is the business end and zito aint getting it done. he really needs to be on a short leash and if he doesnt perform i smell a buy out.