09 Nfl Draft

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 16, 2005
Broncos has 9 or 10 picks currently, and are sitting at 12, I am hoping they can make a move into an 8 or 9 spot. there is no way in hell we draft 9 players this year

Nov 26, 2007
There is a difference between where he gets drafted, and what he actually turns out to be. The way you worded seemed that you were talking about where he was projected to go, not how he will be 4 years down the road.
i was talking about where he was projected, just like the other 3 i mentioned...they were all projected to be in the top 15. With the exception of Leinart(10), they both fell considerably from a possible number 1 to 22(Quinn) and 24(Rodgers).

Whatever though, more power to him to go and study abroad. There's a whole lot of players who've been in the league that have gone on to have no money because they didn't take advantage of the opportunities given to them.

Apr 25, 2002
Yes, becuase kids staying in school is a TOTAL waste of time.
You act like they can't go back and finish school when they enter the NFL. Alex Smith declared after 2 years and then got his degree. Players do it all the time.

I Pukokeki Ioulo Momu said:
Not to mention, he needs to improve in some areas...mainly coverage and reading the QB's eye/actions. He alread has the speed, he just needs to refine his skills.
He's already the top rated safety in this year's draft. He can improve his skills in the pros. By returning to school he runs the risk of getting injured and losing his draft stock as well as a lot of money.

May 9, 2002
You act like they can't go back and finish school when they enter the NFL. Alex Smith declared after 2 years and then got his degree. Players do it all the time.
And some of those players dont get their degrees until they are 35. What good does that do them? If a person can earn the degree in the time alloted without the distraction of pro sports, i think they should. Focus on everything that is in front of you, and then advance. Most of the kids only see dollar signs, jump, and then what? A bunch of morons working the drive-thru. Tragic.

He's already the top rated safety in this year's draft. He can improve his skills in the pros. By returning to school he runs the risk of getting injured and losing his draft stock as well as a lot of money.
If he cant even read the coverage or QB at the college level, you expect him to do that at the PRO level? I know you arent serious. You are smarter than that.

Mays was the number one rated safety in the draft, because there arent THAT many safeties to choose from this year. This is a OL draft year, and the DB's are very lean ot say the least. There are very few CB's, especially upperclassman, to choose from as well.

May 9, 2002
i was talking about where he was projected, just like the other 3 i mentioned...they were all projected to be in the top 15. With the exception of Leinart(10), they both fell considerably from a possible number 1 to 22(Quinn) and 24(Rodgers).
Fair enough.

Whatever though, more power to him to go and study abroad. There's a whole lot of players who've been in the league that have gone on to have no money because they didn't take advantage of the opportunities given to them.
YUou act as if being a doctor doesnt pay well enough. Lets be honest here, no one NEEDS millions of dollars a year to survive. Doctors make PLENTY of money. Not to mention, this is a scholarship, which provides him with money for school and most likely some to live on. It is only 2 years and getting picked to do this is a very rare honor.

Doctors >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pro sports player

WayCide-Ridah

Evergreen Hustlah
Sep 13, 2005
Tha Eva Green
i wish the seahawks would take crabtree...but really...they need an o line bad...they had troubles at that spot bad this year...they need a defensive linemen too...and they could always use a receiver seeing as there whole core went to shit at the beginning of the year

Apr 25, 2002
And some of those players dont get their degrees until they are 35. What good does that do them? If a person can earn the degree in the time alloted without the distraction of pro sports, i think they should. Focus on everything that is in front of you, and then advance. Most of the kids only see dollar signs, jump, and then what? A bunch of morons working the drive-thru. Tragic.
Yeah, because you know, becoming a millionaire doesn't help you in life, right? Use your head. A lot of young, active players continue their schooling in the offseason and get their degrees. And it wouldn't matter if they got their degree at the age of 21 or 35. They probably won't even utilize the degree until AFTER they retire from pro football anyway, if they ever even use it.

The point is you're acting like someone who leaves college before their senior year is doomed and will wind up broke and shit out of luck when their career is over. Give me a break.

If he cant even read the coverage or QB at the college level, you expect him to do that at the PRO level? I know you arent serious. You are smarter than that.
Are you trying to tell me players don't get better in the pros? Or are you simply trying to tell me that the college level provides better training than the pros? So when a rookie comes in he should be able to perform as well or better than a veteran player. It doesn't happen. You act as if they don't learn how to play while in the pros.

I understand what you're trying to say, but what I'm trying to say is a professional training staff will be able to teach the guy better than a college staff would. You act like he needs to learn it in college or he won't be able to learn it in the pros. That's not how things work, that's not how life works.

Mays was the number one rated safety in the draft, because there arent THAT many safeties to choose from this year.
Mays was projected to go in the top 10. If you truly believe he was only the number one rated safety in the draft because everyone else at the position sucks, then why the hell would he go so high? If that were true, no safety would be taken in the first round let alone the top 10.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Fatal makes some good points

if he's projected to go high in the draft now... why not go now...?

I mean if he wasn't projected to go until the 2nd or 3rd round... then yeah... stay another year and try to climb up higher in the next year's draft

May 9, 2002
Yeah, because you know, becoming a millionaire doesn't help you in life, right? Use your head. A lot of young, active players continue their schooling in the offseason and get their degrees. And it wouldn't matter if they got their degree at the age of 21 or 35. They probably won't even utilize the degree until AFTER they retire from pro football anyway, if they ever even use it.

I was referring to injuries or being busts. Now you have a couple mil to last you the rest of your life, becuase they didnt earn their degrees. That is my point. Degrees are important for MANY reasons. You know how fast some of these pro players blow through their money? Hoe many times a year do we say ex-players file for bankruptcy? Now what? GO on some celebrity boxing show to ear a half a mil to get by for the next year? Earn a degree in something, that way when you retire, you have some shit to do. Run a business, open a law firm...whatever. Players who are not stars, dont get these huge paychecks like the LT's and TO's of the league.

The point is you're acting like someone who leaves college before their senior year is doomed and will wind up broke and shit out of luck when their career is over. Give me a break.
No, that is NOT what i am saying. See above.

Are you trying to tell me players don't get better in the pros? Or are you simply trying to tell me that the college level provides better training than the pros?
No, what i am saying is that if he cant even read a college QB, maybe he had better focus on THAT first. Its called STEPS. As a child, do you walk before you crawl? No. Same logic applies here.

So when a rookie comes in he should be able to perform as well or better than a veteran player. It doesn't happen. You act as if they don't learn how to play while in the pros.
See above.

I understand what you're trying to say, but what I'm trying to say is a professional training staff will be able to teach the guy better than a college staff would. You act like he needs to learn it in college or he won't be able to learn it in the pros. That's not how things work, that's not how life works.
No, again, what i am saying is, crawl before you walk, walk before you run. You can ONLY teach a guy so much. THey need to progress on their OWN as well.

Mays was projected to go in the top 10.
By who? Please provide proof of this, and more than one source, please. There are MANY "mock drafts" online and many "experts" who do these draft evaulations.

If you truly believe he was only the number one rated safety in the draft because everyone else at the position sucks, then why the hell would he go so high? If that were true, no safety would be taken in the first round let alone the top 10.
He has raw talent, there is no secret to that. They drool over his speed and hitting ability. GO ahead, read his evaluations. A guy that can hit like Ronnie Lott and run like Jesse Owens, is always gonna be considered to go high in the draft. However, safeties need to be able to READ QB's. A perfect example is Ken Hamlin. GUy can hit, but cant cover for SHIT.

On top of ALL that, how many times do we see highly ranked college players, turn into busts? Just because he SEEMS like a protptype player for the NFL, does NOT mean he will succeed. I can run down a number of players over the last 10 years that have NOT panned out in the NFL, that the "experts" thought they would.

Look, i think its a smart move on his part. If you disagree, fine. I am sick of these highly touted players comin out early and being busts becuase some fuckface filled their heads with dreams of fame and glory, only to fall flat on their faces. Learn the skills actually NEEDED to play at the pro level, and then do it.

Apr 25, 2002
What I'm trying to say is I feel, like many other people including columnists and other writers, that Taylor Mays is ready to go. It's true you have to crawl before you can walk, but in terms of analogies, Taylor Mays can already walk. He can already run. He knows what he is doing and can easily be taught what he does not know, ESPECIALLY by a professional training staff.

As for leaving school, like I said, he can finish school in the offseason like many players do. If he were to go high he would make quite a bit of money and if he happens to be a bust he can use some of that money to help him live while he earns his degree. Not every player is going to blow millions of dollars and have nothing to show for it. A lot of them know how to manage money. And by the way, if you were to earn $5-8 million you already earned more than most people with degrees will earn in a lifetime, twice over.

I see where you're coming from and I think it makes sense, but personally I think he may be blowing a good opportunity to make a lot of money. I really don't think he's gonna learn a whole lot more in one more year of college football anyway. His draft stock isn't gonna get much higher and actually may take a hit if he doesn't perform real well this upcoming season. Not to mention if he gets hurt not a lot of teams are going to want to take a risk on him so his stock will plummet. I just think he might be blowing a good opportunity.

May 2, 2002
Sanchez should leave cause all the other good QB's are staying...perfect time to go and make some $$$. If that's important to him...which it probably is.

All these guys staying though...maybe they just really enjoy being in school?

Everyone loves these guys now...in the pros everyone will rip on them the first mistake they make.

Oct 18, 2008
Yeah good point fatal
Taylor mays will get a huge ammount of money to last him untill he decides to go to school again and why risk your stock by injuries.....