The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2004
Meta is right. What if this dude gets hurt again next year? He will have ZERO value. The shit he has takes a long time to heal and a lot of times lingers for the rest of a players career. Might as well get something now instead of rolling the dice and be left with nothing in the end.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
il cry of we trade run dmc lol we should give him 1 more season to proove us wrong
yeah? and what happens if we give him one more season and the same thing happens that happened every other season in his career? then nobody will want him, and we'll be stuck with a injury prone RB who's about to be past his prime years

people might say "don't trade McFadden for draft picks... you don't know what you're getting with draft picks." yeah, that's true. however, you DO know what you're getting with McFadden... about half a season of playing like an absolute beast, and half a season sitting on the bench

when he's on, D-Mac is one of my favorite players in the league to watch, and I love watching him knowing he's a Raiders, but it's practical to trade him right now if we can get something good in return

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
hope that trade doesnt end up like brees and sd
big difference is McFadden is a running back. A QB can play very well up until their mid/late 30s. A RB's body can't hold up that long. even guys who have managed to stay relatively healthy... you really can't expect them to play at an extremely high level for more than about 8 seasons... if that. they can be effective still, but not an elite every down back

that's why I think it's worth the risk. even if McFadden goes on to play injury free for 3 more years (which I doubt he will)... we're only missing out on 3 years of him playing great football... when we could use a draft pick or 2 to get guys who can play for way longer than that

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
nobody is going to give us anything worthwhile for a running back who can't stay healthy. most of his contract is already paid, so we may as well just keep him. bo jackson used to play half the season too, but it was because he was playing baseball the other half, not injury. he was still worth having on the team though.

ALL BOUT CHICKEN

Allez Les Bleus 🌟🌟
Feb 27, 2006
Paris, France
www.fubuoverstock.com
they were just discussing the topic regarding d-mac getting traded on gary radnich's show on csn bay area...

and i think it would be interesting to see what draft picks the raiders would possibly receive in return for d-mac, but i do agree with the idea of him getting traded, although it would suck to see him leave the raiders. yes, he was on pace for a monster season until he got hurt, but like previously stated, the shelf life of running backs aren't that long. if the raiders are able to get multiple picks, there could be some backs available in the mid rounds that can end up splitting carries with michael bush.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
I wouldn't be mad if DMac got traded. Dude sat 9 games because of a sprained foot when we were in a playoff race with the Donkeys. He was rumored to come back in week 12 and just ended up sitting the season, that shit confused the hell out of me when team doctors had him questionable as early as week 12 and we didn't see him again.

I love the way he plays, when he plays, but at this point i'd rather risk getting fresh draft picks then risk another blown year from DMac.

Nov 3, 2011
yeah? and what happens if we give him one more season and the same thing happens that happened every other season in his career? then nobody will want him, and we'll be stuck with a injury prone RB who's about to be past his prime years

people might say "don't trade McFadden for draft picks... you don't know what you're getting with draft picks." yeah, that's true. however, you DO know what you're getting with McFadden... about half a season of playing like an absolute beast, and half a season sitting on the bench

when he's on, D-Mac is one of my favorite players in the league to watch, and I love watching him knowing he's a Raiders, but it's practical to trade him right now if we can get something good in return

and if we do trade him and he ends up being the next marcus allen for another team and we pick some bust ass picks then what

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
I wouldn't count on marshawn to put up good numbers after he gets paid. he was in a contract year and had a good season. now someone is going to pay him and I bet we'll see his production drop off.

at this point, I think our best bet is to just roll with what we got, dmac, bush and taiwan. the people saying we should trade mcfadden are probably the same people that were saying we should cut dhb last year. I was telling y'all that it wouldn't make sense to not give him a 3rd year, seeing as how most of his contract was already paid out and how it took mcfadden 3 years to have his breakout season. now we've come full circle. the best we could hope for in a trade is a 3rd round pick. mcfadden beasting for half a season is worth more than that to us.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
I'm all for a trade if some team offers us a good deal, I don't see that happening though.

Allen was on a fast track to HC job

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, January 25th, 2012 at 9:34 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Spent a lot of time the last two days digging into the background of Dennis Allen, the choice of Reggie McKenzie to be the next coach of the Raiders.

Talked with Allen’s high school coach, Tim Edwards, (Allen played for the L.D. Bell Blue Raiders in high school) as well as his college coach at Texas A&M, R.C. Slocum. Reached a pair of his former college teammates and former NFL Players in Terry Mickens and Hunter Goodwin, as well as Allen’s father Grady, a former NFL player with the Atlanta Falcons.

“He’s always been ahead of the game,” Slocum said. “He’s mature beyond his years.”

Slocum said Allen, who was under consideration for the St. Louis Rams job that went to Jeff Fisher, had three different job offers when he left the Atlanta Falcons for the New Orleans Saints. According to Grady Allen, his son’s mentor while with the Falcons was longtime defensive coordiantor and defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas.

Said Grady Allen: “He’s always had a knack for being around the ball, making plays, and he probably played at a level maybe one or two steps above what his athletic ability would lead you to believe that he could play because he’s such a student of the game.”

Click here for a link to the story which runs in Thursday’s Bay Area News Group papers.

Raiders punter Shane Lechler, another part of the Texas A&M family, was a redshirt in 1995 during Dennis Allen’s senior year at Texas A&M and was the Aggies’ punter when Allen served as a graduate assistant coach.

Lechler told reporters at the Pro Bowl he was intrigued to see what Allen can do as a head coach.

Near the end of our conversation, Slocum relayed the story about how the East Bernard High School standout switched from quarterback to punter.

“I got him one day and said, you know, you can hang around here for a few years and probably play some quarterback, because you’re a good athlete. But if you work on your kicking you can kick for a long, long time and make a living doing it,” Slocum said. “I told him, what I want you to do is go over there every day with the deep snappers and work every day on your punting and you’ll be the best punter in college football. Next time you see him tell him he owes coach Slocum.”

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Mcfadden has more trade value than any other player on our roster. Given the fact that he hasn't been healthy and we need draft picks, it makes perfect sense to consider trading him

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
they gave him a 4 year contract and he'll most likely get to actually see the end of that 4 years. al would give out 2 year contracts and coaches were lucky if they made it to the end.

allen seems like an intense guy. strangely reminds me of a young al davis, from what I've seen of all the old footage from the 60's

Jun 23, 2005
yeah i was think the same shit earlier. this hire also reminds me a lot of the gruden hire. i think he only had 1 or 2 seasons as a coordinator, young and had that fire.

Jan 4, 2003
last coach I compared to Gruden was Hue Jackson.. so I'd rather wait for results this time around..

I like tha fact that there will be no more players here just to get a pay check.. those days in Oak are over!

Jan 4, 2003
no surprise here.. it would be nice for some continuity but a new gm and new coach.. it only makes sense a new staff is on its way as well.. word is Greg Knapp has been offered tha OC position.. not sure how I feel about that.. as he has already been on our staff before.. but the again Lane Kiffin was our coach along with Russell as our QB during that time..