The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 1, 2002
Not mad at the Knapp pick-up. He runs a more modern offense than Saunders. Will do a good job with a much improved Offensive unit over what he had under Kiffin/Cable..

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
I don't like the knapp hiring, I think there is a reason he's been coaching quarterbacks. he couldn't make it as an oc. I can't help but feel that our defense and penalty problems will get better, but our offense will regress to balance that out. hope I'm wrong on that.

Nov 1, 2004
lol damn i hope some of yall have the same attitude when we're winning. if you hate it now, dont love it when it succeeds.
Fuck that. I've been hopeful. It's been 10 years.
My names on the wall at the Coliseum for season ticket holders... I'll always be a Raiders fan and with that, I will hate them until they get to the playoffs.
So fuck the Raiders.

Nov 1, 2004
I'm really hoping we get 3 compensatory picks this draft. A 5th and a 6th will not suffice.
I think it would be funny if our best draft pick comes from a compensatory pick, most likely at the end of the 3rd round.

The Packers had a solid team all around, that's why some team is going to overpay Flynn this off-season. Maybe in 5 years McKenzie can get us to that level.
Palmer needs to restructure that contract as well. Fuck paying him 14 million next season, that's $875,000 per interception last year.
He hasn't dealt with the west coast offense either, so who knows how he will play.
My magic 8-ball told me "Outlook not good" on our season next year.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Knapp is a terrible OC.

and yall better hope u dont pick up Manusky, the chargers defense was terrible this year, and the niners defense finally came to strides after he left....

Jun 23, 2005
Miller, Grieco take Raiders strength jobs
11:29 PM, Jan. 31, 2012 | Comments

Written by
Matt Vines

Al Miller's mind never left the strength and conditioning field, and now his body is coming back.

Miller, who spent 21 seasons as an NFL strength and conditioning coach, accepted that position with the Oakland Raiders and will fly to Oakland on Wednesday.

Miller worked with the Denver Broncos (1985-92), the New York Giants (1993-96) and Atlanta Falcons (1997-05), and he interviewed with John Elway and the Broncos during the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., this past weekend.

But he heard then-Denver defensive coordinator Dennis Allen, whom he knew from his Atlanta days, could be getting a head coaching job.

"It's been really something," Miller said of the interview process. "I received a call from John Elway, who I coached for eight years, to come down to Mobile and interview.

"But (Allen) started interviewing for head coaching jobs ... and I called (Elway) back but he didn't answer. That's when Allen and I talked over an oyster dinner. He got a second interview with the Raiders and thought he would get the job, so he started recruiting me."

Allen accepted the Raiders' job the next day, and Miller said he decided on Oakland.

Miller, a member of the inaugural hall of fame class in USA Strength and Conditioning in 2003, left the profession after the 2005 season.

His wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in December of 2004, and he said he wanted to spend more time at home.

"Whatever time we had left together, our dreams and our plans, had to be done at a fast pace," Miller said. "We moved back to Monroe and did as much as we could ... I had to move her into Stony Brook in October so she gets the care she needs.

"I had never wanted to get out of it ... but now the good Lord opened the doors."

Miller, a Northeast Louisiana University graduate, volunteered with ULM during his time back in Monroe. He hired ULM strength coach John Grieco as Oakland's assistant strength coach.

Grieco, who spent two seasons at ULM, said he enjoyed "talking shop" with Miller.

"He was a great resource for me, and when we got together, we would always try to figure out a better way to do things," Grieco said. "We are strength coaches at heart.

"I think what (ULM coach Todd Berry) and the staff has put together is phenomenal ... and there is no question where they are headed."

Miller has been part of four Super Bowl appearances, and he wants to help the Raiders return to that level.

"There's not a finer young man in football than (Dennis Allen) ... and I'm not saying that just because he's my boss." Miller said. "If you watch in the next 20 years, he will rise to be in that top group.

"Grieco also has a bright future. He has great communication with the kids and has a great passion for it. He also has a great work ethic and is an honest family man."

Lets hope he can get these foot injuries settled.mainly mcfadden.21 years experience is a good thing.

lets hope mcclain gets faster and stronger, cuz IMO he needs both those things to be a better MLB

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
glad to see we changed up the strength and conditioning coach. we've had like 100 hamstring injuries over the last couple of years. something wasn't right there.

Jan 4, 2003
looks like were going to a ZBS now.. Wylie out as Oline coach, Frank Pollack in...

I liked Wylie and thought he did a good job along with Wiz.. but its obvious this is going to be a completely new team.. out with tha old, in with tha new... I hope we keep Wiz along tho.. I'm sure hes a huge reason why Wiz II has been dominant for us since being drafted..

Jan 4, 2003
Raiders hire new offensive line coach, Frank Pollack

The Raiders have hired Frank Pollack as their new offensive line coach, according to a source. The Texans assistant replaces Bob Wylie, who did a nice job last season with a patchwork line that only gave up only 25 sacks (tied for fourth in the NFL). Pollack spent the last five years as Houston’s assistant offensive line coach and while he has no ties to new coach Dennis Allen, Pollack did work with new Oakland offensive coordinator Greg Knapp last season.

FOXSports.com was the first to report the Pollack hiring.

The Raiders are not commenting on any hires, and it is not known whether or not assistant offensive line coach Steve Wisniewski will be returning in the same capacity.

Meanwhile, the Raiders were denied permission to interview Cowboys special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis for an assistant head coaching position, according to ESPN. Allen worked with DeCamillis in Atlanta from 2002-to-2005. DeCamillas is married to the daughter of former Falcons coach Dan Reeves, who Allen mentioned Monday as being one of his mentors.

Oakland also hired Al Miller as the strength and conditioning coach and John Greico as his assistant, meaning that Brad Roll won’t be back after four seasons with the team.

Miller worked with the Broncos (1985-92), the Giants (1993-96) and Falcons (1997-05), and he interviewed with John Elway and the Broncos last week.

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2012...line-coach/?gta=commentlistpos#commentlistpos

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
I wonder how the players are gonna be dealing with the changes. I hope that we already gave a playbook to palmer, and I hope we win next season.

Any news on mcfadden by the way? Im sure if we made it to the superbowl hed still be "questionable"

Nov 1, 2004
It seems every name that comes up makes me less hopeful for the next year.
Zone blocker extraordinaire Tom Cable leaves our team and we go to the power blocking and all of the sudden we can block.
So, why wouldn't we change it back to a zone blocking scheme... makes perfect sense.