The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
shit the post season aint even over yet, we still have time to make decisions, come march if we dont have a hc, then ill start worrying

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
it better not take until March. my only concern is that Philbin might snatch up some of Green Bay's assistants before Moss can get hired and get some Green Bay assistants to come work with him in Oakland... like everyone seems to think is going to happen

Nov 2, 2002
i dont know why these Packer coaches are so sought after.

The packers offense was good because of AARON RODGER's ability to read coverage and throw lasers.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
i dont know why these Packer coaches are so sought after.

The packers offense was good because of AARON RODGER's ability to read coverage and throw lasers.
I mean you could say that about any coach really

you could say Aaron Rodgers is good because of the system he's in, or the system is good because of Aaron Rodgers

it's the chicken and the egg theory. you're not TRULY going to know until you give the coaches a chance on a new team

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
why was Flynn so successful then? I mean, they could just be two really really really good QBs, or it could be a combination of great coaching with great talent. I think it's the latter as far as the offense goes, who knows wtf happened to their defense tho, that shit was non existent. I wonder if Philbin takes Flynn to Miami....

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
NFL Network: Waufle to Rams as DL coach

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, January 21st, 2012 at 7:31 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Defensive line coach Mike Waulfe will be the second Raiders assistant coach to leave for another job while the club awaits the hire of a new head coach, according to the NFL Network.

Waufle, who coached the last two seasons with the Raiders after an earlier stint from 1998-2003, was added to the staff of the St. Louis Rams Friday, according to Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network.

Wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal accepted a job with the New York Jets earlier this week.

Waufle was in attendance at the press conference of new general manager Reggie McKenzie, who said he will leave it to the new Raiders head coach to make all hires on his staff. McKenzie is still in the process of interviewing prospective candidates.

As of Friday, Waufle was still included on the Raiders’ roster of assistant coaches.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Sources: Raiders, Winston Moss met

By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive

The Oakland Raiders, hoping to hire their next head coach by the end of the week, have already interviewed Packers assistant head coach Winston Moss, according to league sources.

The four-hour interview was held in Green Bay on Jan. 14 after the Packers finished a walk-through practice for their divisional playoff game against the Giants, the sources said.

Next up for the Raiders is an interview with Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice, who is scheduled to meet with Oakland officials Tuesday at the Senior Bowl.

However, multiple league sources believe Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg has emerged as one of the favorites in Oakland.

Mornhinweg, the sources said, had an impressive interview with Oakland officials. He previously worked with Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie in Green Bay and was the Packers' quarterbacks coach when Green Bay won the Super Bowl with Brett Favre.

Under Al Davis, Oakland always hired offensive-minded head coaches, and Mornhinweg would continue a decades-long tradition.

Adam Schefter as an NFL Insider for ESPN.

Jun 23, 2005
looks like we'll have our coach by this weekend

Raiders, Dennis Allen negotiating
EmailPrintComments
By Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen
ESPN
The Oakland Raiders have identified Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen as the leading candidate to become their next head coach, according to multiple league sources.

Other Raiders head coaching candidates, including Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice, already have been informed that Oakland has found its man and they are no longer under consideration, according to sources.

Allen is meeting Tuesday with Raiders officials to see whether the two sides can take the final steps they need to come to an agreement.

What would be notable about this hiring is that Allen would become the first Raiders head coach with a defensive background since before Al Davis owned the team. And he also would come from the division-rival Broncos. The last time the Raiders hired a former Broncos assistant as head coach was Mike Shanahan in 1988.

John Madden was the Raiders linebackers coach when Oakland hired him in 1969. He was the last head coach with a defensive background in Oakland.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
The only good thing about that is he has a defensive mindset...

Why couldn't we keep Hue and then hire a defensive coordinator?

Our offense was fine. DHB finally started producing and Palmer was just getting a grip on the offense, now they gotta start over?

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Broncos D was beastly tho, imagine if we're making the stops that the donkeys were and add to the fact we have a QB that can actually throw the ball, not an over glorified RB.

FUCK, I HATE THE OFFSEASON!!!!

Jun 1, 2002
Great hire.

ESPN: Allen is Raiders’ choice as HC

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 at 9:41 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders are negotiating with Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen to become their head coach, according to ESPN.

Citing “multiple league sources,’’ the network reported Tuesday that other candidates, including Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice have been informed they are no longer under consideration.

Tice, according to reports in the Chicago media, removed himself from consideration Monday night.

Allen, 39, would be the first Raiders head coach with a defensive background since John Madden was hired by Al Davis in1969 to succeed John Rauch. Before being hired by Denver, Allen was a defensive backs coach with the New Orleans Saints and also worked with the defensive line in both New Orleans and Atlanta.

General manager Reggie McKenzie is in Mobile, Ala., scouting for the Senior Bowl and told CSN-Bay Area Monday he hoped to have a coach named by the end of the week. McKenzie said at the time of his hiring he wanted his “own guy’’ as head coach and dismissed Hue Jackson after one season.

Allen’s strong candidacy is somewhat of a surprise given that he and McKenzie have no known background. McKenzie reportedly interviewed Allen for the first time last week in Denver while the Broncos other candidate, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, pulled out of the running to concentrate on the vacancy in Miami.

In terms of defensive philosophy, Allen told the Broncos Web site heading into the 20111 season “We’re going to be built off speed and athleticism. We want to be a very fast, violent, aggressive type of defense.’’

Defensive collapses against Buffalo, Denver and San Diego in the season finale helped keep the Raiders out of the playoffs.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
not sure how I feel about it. basically just kind of a "wait and see" sort of thing.

it's crazy, because I thought the Donkeys defense was really good, but when you look at the overall stats they were below average. I'd have to look at it game by game, but I'm thinking they were probably a bit inconsistent... having games where they did really well, and games where they were just flat out awful. also, they had Timmy Tebow going 3 and out on every drive, so the defense had to be on the field all day.

Also, you have to account for the fact that Denver's defense was dead last in yards and points allowed in 2010, so he improved them for sure (although credit is probably due to John Fox as well)

One thing I don't like is that his defense is described as "bend but don't break." I dunno...I'd like a "don't bend or break" defense, but we'll see.... one thing I do like is he is described as a guy who's an in your face type of guy, really disciplinary, really holds his players accountable, and will let them know when they fuck up. I've seen his style described as "militaristic." That's exactly what this team needs, discipline, and a guy who won't put up with all those fuckin penalties.

I'd like to see what Scary has to say about this, get the Donkey perspective...

anyways... welcome to the Raider Nation Dennis Allen

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
yeah idk bout all this. I dont want a defense that will bend at all. I want a defense that plays hard every down, EVERY DOWN. No fuckin bending, no weakness.

Its gonna be interesting how the season goes next year, I just hope we make it to the god damn playoffs