The Official Oakland Raiders 2012 Offseason Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 4, 2003
Sources: Knapp offered Raiders' OC job

INDIANAPOLIS
Looking to make his first major staff hire, new Oakland Raiders head coach Dennis Allen has found his man.

Two sources told FOXSports.com that Houston Texans quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp was offered Oakland’s offensive coordinator position. Knapp held the same position with the Raiders in 2007 and 2008. He also has previous NFL coordinator experience with San Francisco (2001 to 2003), Atlanta (2004 to 2006) and Seattle (2010). Allen and Knapp worked together as Falcons assistants in 2004 and 2005.

Knapp, 48, earned high praise this season for the work he did with Texans rookie quarterback T.J. Yates. Forced into action because of injuries to Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart, Yates helped guide the Texans to their first postseason appearance and a first-round victory over Cincinnati.

Allen, who is replacing the fired Hue Jackson, still must finalize who will fill Oakland’s defensive coordinator position.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-QB-coach-as-offensive-coordinator-job-013012

Jan 4, 2003
ya me neither.. but I wouldn't count him out just yet.. after alll he was working with Al Davis, Lane Kiffen, Jamarcus Russell when he was over here.. we'll see how things go this time around with no more puppet coaches and now finally coaches/assistants can actually do their job here with nobody telling them how it needs to be done.. but it does seem like Allen is jus trying to bring him aboard since he worked with him back in atl.. Im tired of this shit.. Hue goes and gets all his bengal buddies on board, nd now Allen might be grabbin his buddies.. but whatever.. glad to see a coach has full control and RM isnt out there hiring assistants for him

Dec 2, 2006
He did an excellent job with the Texans last year, not that I endorse him as OC. Another move that leaves me kind of scratching my head but at the end of the day it is about results. The motto for 2012 is competency....

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
This move sucks. I hated Greg Knapp when he was here. Hopefully he can do a much better job with a more talented roster, but still... I don't think he could do a better job than Saunders would have done, especially with the continuity factor in place. I was just getting excited about Allen, and then he goes and does some shit like this. Bullshit.

Remember this is the guy who had his playcalling duties stripped, and taken over by Tom Cable. Yes, Tom Cable, an offensive line coach basically said.... You suck so much, I can do a better job calling plays than you.

Nov 1, 2004
Gregg Knapp... haha.
West Coast offense could double Palmers interceptions. Awesome.
I can't wait to go 5-11.
Maybe we can get Rob Ryan back here and just repeat the next 10 years with the previous.
Or we can just keep waiting to hire a staff long enough for everyone to sign to another team. Then we can get first dibs on up and coming high school coaches.
Fuck being positive. I've tried that shit for 10 years, the Raiders suck.
Throw that quote in your sig Niner fans, since some of you always got the Raiders on your mind.

Jan 4, 2003
as I posted on raiderfans.net

tha "puppet coaching" days are gone.. some of you people are making me sick.. this is no longer gonna be a 4-12, 8-8 football team.. we WILL reach success.. these coaches are up-to-date no puppet strings and 70s/80s playbooks nemore... they can start and bench any player they please!! no Al scholarships anymore... R.I.P. Mr. Davis

Jan 4, 2003
DENNIS ALLEN IS PICKING HIS OWN STAFF PEOPLE!!! WHEN HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED IN RAIDER LAND?! EXACTLY!!! SHIT.. IF I WAS A HC FOR ANY TEAM I'D WANT TO BRING IN MY OWN PEOPLE AS WELL.. THATS JUST HOW IT GOES.. WITH THAT BEING SAID, I PRETTY MUCH THINK SAUNDERS WAS BROUGHT IN LAST SEASON MAINLY FOR THA SOLE PURPOSE HE'S WORKED WITH JASON CAMPBELL IN PREVIOUS YEARS WITH THA REDSKINS.. AND WITH THA LOCKOUT WE NEEDED AS MUCH CONSISTENCY AS POSSIBLE.. ITS A NEW ERA NOW PPL, THIS IS NOW PALMERS TEAM (SINCE HUE TRADED AWAY A FORTUNE), NEW GM, NEW HC, NEW STAFFING, NEW ASSISTANTS.. THATS HOW ITS GON' GO

Nov 1, 2004
DENNIS ALLEN IS PICKING HIS OWN STAFF PEOPLE!!! WHEN HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED IN RAIDER LAND?! EXACTLY!!! SHIT.. IF I WAS A HC FOR ANY TEAM I'D WANT TO BRING IN MY OWN PEOPLE AS WELL.. THATS JUST HOW IT GOES.. WITH THAT BEING SAID, I PRETTY MUCH THINK SAUNDERS WAS BROUGHT IN LAST SEASON MAINLY FOR THA SOLE PURPOSE HE'S WORKED WITH JASON CAMPBELL IN PREVIOUS YEARS WITH THA REDSKINS.. AND WITH THA LOCKOUT WE NEEDED AS MUCH CONSISTENCY AS POSSIBLE.. ITS A NEW ERA NOW PPL, THIS IS NOW PALMERS TEAM (SINCE HUE TRADED AWAY A FORTUNE), NEW GM, NEW HC, NEW STAFFING, NEW ASSISTANTS.. THATS HOW ITS GON' GO

We've been saying "It's different this time" for a long time.
Granted, it really is different this time because Al is gone but I'm still not going to get excited.

Jan 4, 2003
We've been saying "It's different this time" for a long time.
Granted, it really is different this time because Al is gone but I'm still not going to get excited.
this time its for real, its official.. Mark Davis is giving FULL control to his coaching staff.. this is what we've been needing to reach success ina long long time.. Als way jus wasn't gettin it done over tha past decade.. he ran tha defense, he started players who he wanted to see play, overpaid bums to be here jus to get a paycheck, etc.. its new era guys.. lets see how this goes down

Jan 4, 2003
Just so we're clear, here are the tools at his disposal in 2007:

QB: Andrew Walter, Josh McCown, JaMarcus Russell
RB: LaMont Jordon, Justin Fargas, Dominic Rhodes
WR: Ronald Curry, Johnnie Lee Higgins, Jerry Porter, Chris McFoy, Tim Dwight

Yep he had Miller, and took advantage of what he could. In spite of that crap, he produced the 6th best rushing game in football. Curry was the 45th best receiver in the league.

Compare that to Palmer, McFadden, Bush, Reece, DHB, Moore, Ford,... and our outstanding young o-line.

Our rushing game should be dominant. Our passing game should be at least as good as this year. Probably a lot better.

Add to that what we all hope (well, most of us it seems) is a much improved defense, and we have nothing to be crying about.

In 2007 and 2008 Knapp had Oakland as the 6th and 10th rush offense in the league.. And the only reason the pass offense was ranked 31st and 32nd was because of one JaMarcus Russell..

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I still liked Hue's offense, actually had DHB looking like a legit receiver. Hopefully DHB doesn't regress in this new offense...

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I'm staying cool breh, I've already learned my lesson. We'll see what happens... I think our defense will be better though, not sure about the offense.

Jan 4, 2003
I still liked Hue's offense, actually had DHB looking like a legit receiver. Hopefully DHB doesn't regress in this new offense...
don't praise Hue for DHBs progress.. DHB has been puttin in work since he's been drafted..in tha weight room, on tha practice field , etc.. not like Hue came and gave DHB a new set of hands lol..skys tha limit for tha kid.. he will only get better as long as he keep this positive work ethic and doesnt turn into a crabtree type diva

Jan 4, 2003
lol damn i hope some of yall have the same attitude when we're winning. if you hate it now, dont love it when it succeeds.
lol ya feel me tho?! its a new era fellas.. I for one am ready for some up-to-date football.. and if tha players arent producing to tha bench they go!! no more scholarships..

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
lol damn i hope some of yall have the same attitude when we're winning. if you hate it now, dont love it when it succeeds.
Why wouldn't we love it when were winning? It's not like anyone is saying were gonna stop beings fans. It's just that we don't like the move. I don't think Knapp is a good OC. If he does a good job I will admit I was wrong, and be happy to do so. Just calling it as I see it. I was on board with the the mckenzie move and the Dennis Allen move, just not with this one. Im happy the coach is picking his own staff, just think he made a shitty choice. Again, I hope I'm wrong. Only time will tell.