Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Walter Jones: ‘I can accept’ retirement

RENTON, Wash. (AP)—Walter Jones(notes) says he would still like “one last run” with the Seahawks in 2010, but the six-time All-Pro left tackle would understand if his only NFL team thinks he’s finished.

“That’s a decision the organization is going to have to make when all is said and done. All I can do is prepare,” said Jones, who turns 36 this month and hasn’t played in 14 months following two knee surgeries.

He said Monday that he thinks the Seahawks will decide early this offseason on whether he plays in 2010 for the only team he’s known in his 13-year career.

Jones knows the Seahawks will be making many changes with a new general manager following consecutive losing seasons. A 36-year-old tackle who hasn’t played since Thanksgiving Day 2008 following major knee surgery 13 months ago may not fit the needed rebuilding plan.

Asked whether he would try to play for another team should Seattle think by spring that its nine-time Pro Bowler and anchor to its offensive line since 1997 won’t be ready next season, Jones chuckled and said: “They make that decision, then I’d have to weigh my other options.”

“If it comes down to that, I have had a great career,” he said. “And the reality is that if it’s over, I can accept that.”

How would he handicap his chances of playing next season, the 6-foot-5, 350-plus-pound Jones said with a smile: “I don’t know, man. I’m not a good golfer.”

Jones spoke as he and his teammates packed away another losing season. Seattle is 9-23 since the start of the 2008 season, when Jones’ left knee began to ache before major, microfracture surgery in December of that year. That cost him his first games due to injury since his rookie season of 1997.

This is the worst two-year stretch for the Seahawks since 1992-93. Without Jones, the offensive line has crumbled in front of battered quarterback Matt Hasselbeck(notes). The heir to Jones, as selected by former GM and president Tim Ruskell, is Sean Locklear(notes).

Locklear has been a disappointment when not injured, and last month coach Jim Mora singled out Locklear for needing to be tougher.

Jones tried to return for training camp last summer, made it through a couple of practices, then had arthroscopic surgery on the knee in August. He later went on the injured reserve list. His pain has been exacerbated by a kidney condition diagnosed when he was a rookie that keeps him from taking anti-inflammatories to combat swelling and pain.

He said his knee “feels pretty good” following months of rehabilitation in Florida but acknowledged his knee “still has a long way to go” to get back to playing shape. The microfracture surgery in December 2008 drilled holes in the knee to regenerate cartilage. The general recovery time for that operation calls for running to begin by six months and a return to competition by nine months, a span that would have ended two days before this season’s opener.

But few if any have had that surgery while in their mid-30s while needing to support about 350 pounds on a knee with holes drilled into it.

“I understand the whole thing about it. I understand my age, and what I’m coming back from,” Jones said. “All I can do is prepare.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-seahawks-walterjones&prov=ap&type=lgns

Feb 14, 2004
The Seattle Seahawks are poised to announce that Canadian punter Jon Ryan has signed a six-year contract extension with the NFL team.

The deal is said to be worth $9.1 million US, including a $1.6-million signing bonus, although Ryan declined to confirm those figures.

“It really is a big moment in my life,” Ryan, from Regina, said Sunday after the Seahawks finished their season with a 17-13 loss to the visiting Tennessee Titans. “It’s something I’ve been working toward for a very long time. Now that I’ve realized that, it’s something that’s going to take a while to set in.”

The former University of Regina Rams and Winnipeg Blue Bombers standout has spent four years in the NFL. He was a member of the Green Bay Packers for two full seasons before being released following exhibition play in 2008. He was quickly snapped up by the Seahawks.

This past season, Ryan averaged 46.2 yards per punt, having previously posted averages of 44.5 (2006), 44.4 (2007) and 45.6 (2008).

Ryan’s contract was to expire after the 2009 season. That scenario began to change Tuesday, when the Seahawks’ brass contacted Ryan’s agent, Gil Scott. The deal was completed on Saturday.

“It came right out of the blue,” said Ryan, 28. “I wasn’t sure how long they wanted to get me for. To see that they are serious makes you feel good. I was in a situation earlier in my NFL career where I didn’t feel that appreciated and we know how that ended, so to be in a situation where they do want me for a long time is quite a compliment.”

http://www.canada.com/sports/Ryan+expected+deal+with+Seahawks/2402467/story.html

Feb 14, 2004
Hasselbeck expects to return to Seahawks
By GREGG BELL
AP SPORTS WRITER

RENTON, Wash. -- Matt Hasselbeck nodded his head and said "I do, definitely" expect to be asked back to the fallen Seahawks in 2010. That's even though he just set a career-high in interceptions.

Injured star left tackle Walter Jones and running back Julius Jones weren't so sure about their Seattle futures Monday. Neither were wide receiver Deion Branch, safety Deon Grant or guard Rob Sims.

Even outspoken T.J. Houshmandzadeh, whom the Seahawks signed to a five-year contract guaranteeing him $15 million only last spring, said "for all I know, I could be gone next year."

"You never know what's going to happen," the team's top wide receiver said.

Especially not this offseason in Seattle.

The best thing about the Seahawks' miserable 5-11 season is that it ended. The worst thing for Seattle? That's the same thing it said after last season.

Nine wins in two years have the former four-year kings of the NFC West without a president or general manager - and with many questions.

Such as, how many fading veterans will be released?

"This year, more than other years, there's a lot of uncertainty," said Hasselbeck, who became Seattle's starting quarterback in 2001 and has outlasted three GMs since.

Even the identity of this offseason's top decision-maker remains unknown.

The Seahawks are still in an "internal auditing" stage of evaluating the franchise, which is 9-23 since its last playoff game 24 months ago and just completed its worst two-year run since 1992-93.

The team has declared just one GM candidate, Ruston Webster. He has been holding the job on an interim basis since Tim Ruskell was forced to resign on Dec. 3.

Whoever becomes the new personnel boss must decide Hasselbeck's immediate future. The 34-year-old threw 17 interceptions this season. He had 10 turnovers in the last four games, losses by a combined 123-37. The offense managed just four touchdowns in the final four weeks.

Hasselbeck described an "us-versus-them" environment between some players and Jim Mora's new coaching staff that was installing a new offense, plus new defense, in 2009. He said that created a lack of trust in the play-calling, the play-caller and teammates.

"The thing I would say is, when everyone feels like they are in it together and there's a trust factor there, it's just a way better working environment," Hasselbeck said.

Playing behind a broken and ineffective offensive line that is about two years overdue for an overhaul, Hasselbeck has battled a bad back, broken ribs, a sore throwing shoulder and banged thumb the last two seasons. He has one year and $5.75 million in base pay remaining on his contract, and Seattle has no one ready to become the next franchise quarterback - perennial backup Seneca Wallace turns 32 this spring.

Asked about the uneasiness of not having a deal beyond 2010, Hasselbeck gave a so-what look. That's life in the NFL's world of non-guaranteed contract years.

"NFL contracts could be for 12 years, but if you don't play well for one year or they don't want you, they can get rid of you. They don't owe you anything," said Hasselbeck, whose completion rate this season of 60 percent was on par with his career average, but whose 17 touchdowns were his fewest in a season in which he had started a dozen games since that first year of 2001.

"So every year you are being evaluated," he said.

"I know what I've got to do. I've got to rest up a little bit, get stronger - and get back to myself, which is something I think I can do this year."

Hasselbeck hasn't felt himself since 2007, his last relatively healthy year.

It's been longer than that for Julius Jones and Branch, the former Super Bowl MVP who said he'd like to retire as a Seahawk but added "I can't control that."

Jones again lost playing time in 2009 as Seattle's running game sunk to 26th in the league. It was the first time in new play-caller Greg Knapp's nine years as an offensive coordinator that his team didn't finish in the league's top 10 in rushing.

Jones gained 663 yards and averaged 3.7 yards per carry. Justin Forsett, four years younger than the 28-year-old Jones, averaged 5.4 yards per carry while gaining 619 yards. The more versatile Forsett's four touchdowns doubled Jones' total.

Jones has four scores in two years in Seattle. Will he be back?

"I don't know," he said. "I'd like to be here. Who knows?"

The defensive line is likely to join the offensive line in changing. Fading veteran Patrick Kerney may leave along with Cory Redding, who had two sacks in 15 games and little impact after arriving from Detroit last spring in a trade for linebacker Julian Peterson.

Nate Burleson could become a free agent. But the 28-year-old wide receiver, punt returner and Seahawk since 2006 expects to return and wants this to be his last team.

"Unless something drastic happens, I'm pretty much 100-percent certain (I'll be back)," the Seattle native said.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_fbn_seahawks_miserable_season.html

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks to interview Giants scouting director

New York Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross is scheduled to interview for the Seattle Seahawks general manager position next week, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Ross, 35, is another young up-and-comer with a strong background in scouting, in the same mold as previously identified candidates Eric DeCosta of the Baltimore Ravens, Steve Keim of the Arizona Cardinals, John Schneider of the Green Bay Packers and Tom Heckert of the Philadelphia Eagles.

He worked as a scout for the Buffalo Bills for three years before joining the Giants in 2007 as their director of college scouting and leader in their past two draft efforts.

The Giants have had very productive drafts despite having late first-round picks. This past season, Ross hit on standout wide receiver Hakeem Nicks with the 29th pick and starting right tackle William Beatty in the second.

The 2008 draft brought safety Kenny Phillips, the 31st pick in the first round. Phillips has missed most of this season with an arthritic knee problem, but the Giants selected starting corner Terrell Thomas in the second round and wide receiver Mario Manningham in the third.

Ross became the NFL's youngest college scouting director in 2000 when he took over that role for the Philadelphia Eagles at age 27, where he was responsible for drafting such standouts as Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Derrick Burgess.

He moved to the Buffalo Bills in 2004 as a national college scout and then the Giants in 2007.

Ross was an All-Ivy League wide receiver in 1993 and 1994 at Princeton, where he graduated with a sociology degree. He earned a Master's in sports management from the University of Massachusetts in 1997.

Schefter, who reports the Ross news on his Twitter account, is also saying the Cleveland Browns have gained permission from the Seahawks to interview director of pro personnel Will Lewis for their vacant general manager position.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/190307.asp

Feb 14, 2004
In other Seahawks news, Cortez Kennedy has been named one of 17 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Cortez Kennedy has been here before.

It was last year, in fact, when the Seahawks’ Ring of Honor defensive tackle was a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame for the first time. Kennedy is back for another run, as he was among the 17 finalists for the 2010 class that were announced today.

But the competition is even stronger than it was last year, when Kennedy did not advance to the round of 10 in balloting by the selection committee the day before the Super Bowl.

Kennedy was the 1992 NFL defensive player of the year, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection and a member of the league’s team of the decade for the 1990s. But there is a backlog of worthy defensive linemen and this year’s group also includes two slam-dunk selections who retired as the league’s all-time leaders at their positions.

Jerry Rice is NFL’s all-time leading receiver. He played one season with the Seahawks (2004) after building his Hall of Fame career with the San Francisco 49ers (1985-2000) and Oakland Raiders (2001-04). Emmitt Smith became the league’s all-time leader rusher in a 2002 game against the Seahawks in Dallas while with the Cowboys (1990-2002) and later played for the Arizona Cardinals (2003-04).

This year’s group of finalists also includes:

•Tim Brown, wide receiver/kick returner for the Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders (1988-2003) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2004).

•Cris Carter, wide receiver for the Philadelphia Eagles (187-89), Minnesota Vikings (1990-2001) and Miami Dolphins (2002).

•Don Coryell, coach of the St. Louis Cardinals (1973-77) and San Diego Chargers (1978-86).

•Roger Craig, running back for the San Francisco 49ers (1983-90), Los Angeles Raiders (1991) and Minnesota Vikings (1992-93).\

•Dermonti Dawson, center for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1988-2000).

•Richard Dent, defensive end for the Chicago Bears (1983-93 and 1995), San Francisco 49ers (1994), Indianapolis Colts (1996) and Philadelphia Eagles (1997).

•Russ Grimm, guard for the Washington Redskins (1981-1991).

•Charles Haley, defensive end and linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers (1986-91, 1999) and Dallas Cowboys (1992-96).

•Rickey Jackson, linebacker for the New Orleans Saints (1981-93) and San Francisco 49ers (1994-95).

•Dick LeBeau, cornerback for the Detroit Lions (1959-72).

•Floyd Little, running back for the Denver Broncos (1967-75).

•John Randle, defensive lineman for the Minnesota Vikings (1990-2000) and Seahawks (2001-03).

•Andre Reed, wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills (1985-99) and Washington Redskins (2000).

•Shannon Sharpe, tight end for the Denver Broncos (1990-99, 2002-03) and Baltimore Ravens (2000-01).

Like Kennedy, Carter, Dawson, Dent, Grimm, Randle, Reed and Sharpe have been finalists in previous years. This is the first time as a finalist for Coryell, Craig, Haley, Jackson and LeBeau. Little and LeBeau are the senior candidates, as selected by the seniors committee in August.

This year’s class will be selected Saturday, Feb. 6, and announced later that day.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...ng-Again/aa212d81-6b72-49a3-a994-fb0237d74aed

Feb 14, 2004
AP Source: Seahawks add Alex Gibbs to staff

RENTON, Wash. (AP)—A person familiar with the decision says Houston Texans assistant head coach Alex Gibbs has agreed to join Pete Carroll’s Seahawks staff.

The person spoke Tuesday to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the Seahawks have not finalized the contract.

Adding the 68-year-old Gibbs is a coup for Carroll. Gibbs is known as a guru on the zone run-blocking scheme, which Carroll wants to make the basis for his Seahawks offense.

Gibbs, who joined the Texans in 2008, began coaching in the league with Denver in 1984.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-seahawks-gibbs&prov=ap&type=lgns

Feb 14, 2004
I got this infro from wiki:

Alex Gibbs enters his first season on Pete Carroll's Seattle Seahawks staff as the Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Line coach.

Under Gibbs' zone blocking scheme in 2008, the Texans averaged a franchise-record 4.27 yards per carry a year after mustering only 3.8 yards per carry. The Texans had the fourth-ranked passing attack in the league with a team-record 4,267 yards, allowing only 32 sacks. The offensive line also paved the way for the league’s 13th-best rushing attack with 115.4 yards/game, which was the second-highest total in the team’s seven-year existence.

Before joining the staff in Houston, Gibbs served as the assistant head coach/offensive line, as well as a consultant, with the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06. In 2004, the Falcons led the NFL in rushing for the first time in team history. They rushed for a team-record 2,672 yards, third highest rushing yards total in the NFL since 1990.

During the three seasons with Gibbs on staff in Atlanta, the team led the NFL in rushing with 8,157 yards. Atlanta was the only team over that three-year period to record a rushing average above five yards at 5.1.

Gibbs worked with Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, who served as the offensive coordinator in Denver, from 1995-03. During their time together, the Broncos led the NFL in rushing with 20,150 yards. Denver finished second in total offense with 54,167 yards during their nine seasons together.

He spent 13 combined seasons (1984-1987 and 1995-2003) mentoring the offensive line with the Broncos, where he established several franchise records. He played an essential role with the Broncos during their back-to-back Super Bowl wins in the late 90s. The offensive line set numerous franchise records during his second tenure with Denver, including most total yards (6,554 in 2000), most first downs (383 in 2000), most rushing yards (2,468 in 1998) and most rushing touchdowns (32 in 1998).

From 1995-2000, Gibbs’ offensive lines did not allow more than 35 sacks in a season. And during that span center Tom Nalen went to four consecutive Pro Bowls; and in 1998, three Broncos offensive linemen were nominated to the Pro Bowl for their role in winning their second consecutive Pro Bowl and blocking for NFL MVP Terrell Davis, who rushed for over 2,000 yards.

His NFL career began with the Denver Broncos in 1984 and he helped the team make two straight Super Bowl appearances in 1986 and 1987. He continued on to coach in Kansas City, where he helped the Chiefs drop their sack total substantially from 48 in 1992 to 19 in 1994. During his tenure with the Indianapolis Colts (1992) he experienced similar success and also helped the San Diego Chargers (1990-1991) to the second-best rush offense in the league in 1991. With the Los Angeles Raiders (1988-1989) he coached guard Steve Wisniewski, who would earn eight trips to the Pro Bowl in his career.

Prior to his NFL experience, Gibbs spent 15 seasons as a college coach. He began in 1969 with Duke University as the defensive backs coach. He continued on to coach defensive backs at the University of Kentucky (1971-1972) and West Virginia University (1973-1974). He began coaching offensive lines at Ohio State (1975-1978), where he also served as offensive coordinator, and on to Auburn (1979-1981) and Georgia (1982-1983), before starting his NFL career.

Gibbs spent his playing days at Davidson College as a running back and defensive back. He earned his master’s degree from North Carolina in European history. He continued on to earn his E.D.D. from Auburn University.

Feb 14, 2004
2010 Seattle Seahawks Coaches are...

Here's the 2009 Seahawks Coaching Roster with changes indicated. I'll keep this thread updated as official announcements are made so we can see just how deeply this slate is wiped clean.

Head Coach: Pete Carroll

General Manager: VACANT

Offensive Coordinator: Jeremy Bates
Tight Ends: Mike DeBord
Running Backs: Kasey Dunn
Quarterbacks: Bill Lazor
Wide Receivers: Robert Prince
Offensive Line: Alex Gibbs

Defensive Coordinator: Gus Bradley
Defensive Backs: Tim Lewis
Asst. DBs: Larry Marmie
Defensive Line: Dan Quinn
Linebackers: Ken Norton, Jr.

Strength & Conditioning: Mike Clark
Special Teams: Bruce DeHaven

Knapp gone? Hell yea!

I got this info from a Seahawks forum, but I don't know if that's official, I couldn't find any sources, other than wikipedia. I hope it's true, though!

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks offensive coaching staff taking shape

Here's a new name for the rumor mill of coaching considerations in Seattle: Jedd Fisch.

He's the offensive coordinator for the Minnesota Gophers, is 33 and worked for eight seasons in the NFL before coming to Minnesota.

He was the receivers coach in Denver in 2008 where Jeremy Bates -- expected to be Seattle's offensive coordinator -- was also on staff.

Here's the link to Fisch's bio from the Minnesota Gophers' official Web site.

Update: This is a name that's more than just being circulated as rumor. In the parlance of the NFL injury report, the likelihood of his addition to Pete Carroll's staff would best be described as "probable." He is not going to be offensive coordinator. That position is going to Jeremy Bates, and I haven't been able to pin down the position-coach spot Fisch would end up filling.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2010786572_seahawks_offens.html

Looks like it's not a done deal yet.

Feb 14, 2004
The Seahawks have received permission to interview Jerry Gray, Washington's secondary coach, for the defensive coordinator position, according to the league's official Web site. Gray is a candidate as defensive coordinator, and Dan Quinn, Seattle's defensive line coach, is also a consideration to keep on staff. Gus Bradley, the Seahawks defensive coordinator last year, also has a chance to stay on Seattle's staff. Bradley was first hired after a ringing endorsement from Monte Kiffin, former Bucs defensive coordinator and someone Carroll worked with in college at Arkansas and with the Jets.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2010787283_report_seahawks_18.html