Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
seattle is fucking sorry. The whole team sucks. I don't think the players respect Mora as a coach either. I also think they are stupid for passing on Mike Holmgren as their future GM. Watch the browns be a very good playoff team in about 2-3 years.

Mora gets a pass obviously in his first year as coach, but something definitely ain't right. It's not like they don't have any talent, there simply is no excuse for getting beat down by shitty teams like tampa and houston, etc.
Mora gets NO pass. I didn't want him as HC in the first place. He progressively got worse every year in ATL.

And I don't want Holmgren as the GM either. He already failed at that position. No need to re-try that experiment.

May 9, 2002
I wouldn't say Holmgren failed he did bring in some good players but he was doing too much at once. If he would just focus on being GM and not head coach too I think he'd be great in seattle.
Even if that IS the case, i would much rather have someone who is seasoned and has a track record, rather than an unknown entity. We need to get better and have a higher % chance that it happens with someone who has been around and had good results with another club. With Mike, its 50-50. Me no like those odds.

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks Options at GM

On December 2nd Seahawks President of Football Operations and General Manager Tim Ruskell resigned with only three months left on a five year contract.

There had been reports that the Seahawks wouldn’t retain Ruskell after seasons end so Ruskell decided to do the fair thing and not let it drag out any longer.

At the press conference where Ruskell, and Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke talked about the fact that it came down to not winning enough games and that the team wanted and needed to go in a new direction.

Ruskell replaced former Seahawks GM Bob Whitsitt after he was fired in 2005.

Now Tod Leiweke and Paul Allen will have to start their search to find the next man to build the Seahawks and take then to places that they should be, the Super Bowl.

Now as per NFL policy the Seahawks must interview one minority option and others before hiring their official GM. One reason why Mike Holmgren won’t just be handed the job.

It’s known as the “Rooney Rule”.

With that being said here is a list of possible GM’s for the Seattle Seahawks.

1) Mike Holmgren- Pretty obvious he would be the first choice in anyone’s book, but even more obvious in Seattle. Mike still has a house, family and his own radio show in Seattle on 950 KJR with Dave Maller.

Holmgren was the GM of the Seahawks from 1999-2002 where he created the core of their great Super Bowl team of 2005. Names like Matt Hasselbeck, Shaun Alexander, Darryl Jackson, Steve Hutchinson, Rocky Bernard and others that weren’t around for the Super Bowl but were still great players.

Now with the good came the bad and Holmgren missed bad on a few players like OT Chris McIntosh, WR Koren Robinson (off the field problem), TE Jeremy Stevens (off the field problems) and DE Lamar King all come to mind.

But the good definitely outweigh the bad with Holmgren from a GM stand point. Mike would definitely get rid of Mora, Knapp and everyone on the coaching staff and get the right people in like John Gruden, Jim Zorn and others.

2) Randy Mueller- Mueller, formally of the Miami Dolphins, ESPN and New Orleans Saints was with the Seahawks organization from 1983-1999 until the Seahawks hired Mike Holmgren, which forced Mueller out of his VP of Football Operations job.

In his time with the Seahawks Mueller drafted Joey Galloway, Walter Jones, Shawn Springs, Pete Kendall, Phillip Daniels and Ahman Green before being replaced by Holmgren.

Mueller would be a great fit with the Seahawks organization, knowing he’s been here before and drafted the best player in Seahawks history, LT Walter Jones. He would be great candidate to do a full on rebuild, blow up the roster, keeping the right players here and turning this ship around.

3)Kevin Colbert- From 3-4 there will be more long shot hires but as I continue to look at the Pittsburgh Steelers organization, and especially this season. It looks like they should in a new direction both from a GM stand point and from a head coaching stand point.

Colbert has been the GM of the Steelers since 2000 and during that time they have won two Super Bowl titles (XL, XLIII).

Knowing how great the Steelers organization has been and always has been you know Colbert could do the exact same in Seattle with the Seahawks organization.

And Paul Allen has no bad blood against the Steelers or Dan Rooney or Kevin Colbert like some fans might want to think.

In his time as GM of the Steelers Colbert has drafted WR Plaxico Burress, OT Marvel Smith, DT Casey Hampton, WR Antwaan Randle El, S Troy Polamalu, QB Ben Roethlisberger, OT Max Starks, TE Heath Miller, WR Santonio Holmes, LB Lawrence Timmons and many other great picks in his 10 years in Pittsburgh.

So obviously if you’re an organization like the Seahawks, looking to rebuild and have a real winning team that Kevin Colbert would be the best man for the job.

4)Tom Heckert- Heckert has the title of “GM” in Philadelphia but he does not get the final say in any of the player personnel decisions so making the move to the Seattle Seahawks organization he would have all say in all player personnel movement.

With Eagles head coach Andy Reid signing a two year contract extension this season it doesn’t make sense for Heckert to stay in Philadelphia where he doesn’t have much of a say in the Eagles player movement.

However learning from Reid and the moves that the Eagles have made would make him a great fit in Seattle.

Who known’s maybe he could trade Kevin Kolb to the Seahawks and then join the team later this off season.

Heckert would be the final option if the Seahawks misfire on all three choices above.

Whoever does indeed wind up being named the new GM of the Seattle Seahawks organization they will inherit a good team, that needs to get rid of a ton of players, bring in the right players and use the draft picks right.

It will be interesting to see who gets the job.

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/seahawks-options-at-gm/

May 9, 2002
On December 2nd Seahawks President of Football Operations and General Manager Tim Ruskell resigned with only three months left on a five year contract.

There had been reports that the Seahawks wouldn’t retain Ruskell after seasons end so Ruskell decided to do the fair thing and not let it drag out any longer.

At the press conference where Ruskell, and Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke talked about the fact that it came down to not winning enough games and that the team wanted and needed to go in a new direction.

Ruskell replaced former Seahawks GM Bob Whitsitt after he was fired in 2005.

Now Tod Leiweke and Paul Allen will have to start their search to find the next man to build the Seahawks and take then to places that they should be, the Super Bowl.

Now as per NFL policy the Seahawks must interview one minority option and others before hiring their official GM. One reason why Mike Holmgren won’t just be handed the job.

It’s known as the “Rooney Rule”.

With that being said here is a list of possible GM’s for the Seattle Seahawks.

1) Mike Holmgren- Pretty obvious he would be the first choice in anyone’s book, but even more obvious in Seattle. Mike still has a house, family and his own radio show in Seattle on 950 KJR with Dave Maller.

Holmgren was the GM of the Seahawks from 1999-2002 where he created the core of their great Super Bowl team of 2005. Names like Matt Hasselbeck, Shaun Alexander, Darryl Jackson, Steve Hutchinson, Rocky Bernard and others that weren’t around for the Super Bowl but were still great players.

Now with the good came the bad and Holmgren missed bad on a few players like OT Chris McIntosh, WR Koren Robinson (off the field problem), TE Jeremy Stevens (off the field problems) and DE Lamar King all come to mind.

But the good definitely outweigh the bad with Holmgren from a GM stand point. Mike would definitely get rid of Mora, Knapp and everyone on the coaching staff and get the right people in like John Gruden, Jim Zorn and others.

2) Randy Mueller- Mueller, formally of the Miami Dolphins, ESPN and New Orleans Saints was with the Seahawks organization from 1983-1999 until the Seahawks hired Mike Holmgren, which forced Mueller out of his VP of Football Operations job.

In his time with the Seahawks Mueller drafted Joey Galloway, Walter Jones, Shawn Springs, Pete Kendall, Phillip Daniels and Ahman Green before being replaced by Holmgren.

Mueller would be a great fit with the Seahawks organization, knowing he’s been here before and drafted the best player in Seahawks history, LT Walter Jones. He would be great candidate to do a full on rebuild, blow up the roster, keeping the right players here and turning this ship around.

3)Kevin Colbert- From 3-4 there will be more long shot hires but as I continue to look at the Pittsburgh Steelers organization, and especially this season. It looks like they should in a new direction both from a GM stand point and from a head coaching stand point.

Colbert has been the GM of the Steelers since 2000 and during that time they have won two Super Bowl titles (XL, XLIII).

Knowing how great the Steelers organization has been and always has been you know Colbert could do the exact same in Seattle with the Seahawks organization.

And Paul Allen has no bad blood against the Steelers or Dan Rooney or Kevin Colbert like some fans might want to think.

In his time as GM of the Steelers Colbert has drafted WR Plaxico Burress, OT Marvel Smith, DT Casey Hampton, WR Antwaan Randle El, S Troy Polamalu, QB Ben Roethlisberger, OT Max Starks, TE Heath Miller, WR Santonio Holmes, LB Lawrence Timmons and many other great picks in his 10 years in Pittsburgh.

So obviously if you’re an organization like the Seahawks, looking to rebuild and have a real winning team that Kevin Colbert would be the best man for the job.

4)Tom Heckert- Heckert has the title of “GM” in Philadelphia but he does not get the final say in any of the player personnel decisions so making the move to the Seattle Seahawks organization he would have all say in all player personnel movement.

With Eagles head coach Andy Reid signing a two year contract extension this season it doesn’t make sense for Heckert to stay in Philadelphia where he doesn’t have much of a say in the Eagles player movement.

However learning from Reid and the moves that the Eagles have made would make him a great fit in Seattle.

Who known’s maybe he could trade Kevin Kolb to the Seahawks and then join the team later this off season.

Heckert would be the final option if the Seahawks misfire on all three choices above.

Whoever does indeed wind up being named the new GM of the Seattle Seahawks organization they will inherit a good team, that needs to get rid of a ton of players, bring in the right players and use the draft picks right.

It will be interesting to see who gets the job.

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/seahawks-options-at-gm/
This guy is clueless, simply because Mike Holmgren is not in the running for the GM job here, per the president.

Feb 14, 2004
This guy is clueless, simply because Mike Holmgren is not in the running for the GM job here, per the president.
I just looked at when that article was made, it was Dec. 11th. I think Holmgren was still a candidate at that time.

Feb 14, 2004
Matt Hasselbeck already has become the Seahawks’ all-time leader in pass attempts and completions this season. With 73 passing yards against the Packers on Sunday, he’ll hold that mark, too.

Matt Hasselbeck is heading back to where it all began, with the opportunity to do something he never expected.

With 73 passing yards in Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field, Hasselbeck will move past Ring of Honor QB Dave Krieg on the Seahawks’ all-time list.

“Mostly it’s special to me because I can just remember when I first got here, pregame, reading through the Game Day program and just seeing the names on the list,” Hasselbeck said. “And seeing how far away I was from getting there, and just imagining maybe, possibly, having an opportunity to just climb up the list – never mind reach Dave Krieg.”

“So to be close is pretty cool.”

That it could happen on the frozen tundra at Lambeau, all the cooler – because that’s where Hasselbeck began his NFL career, which eventually led to his climb up the Seahawks’ all-time lists.

“I’ve got a lot of good memories there,” Hasselbeck said. “Some good. Some bad. Mostly good. … There are just a lot of good memories from games, and also from my time there.”

It was the Packers who drafted Hasselbeck in the sixth round in 1998, even though the confident QB from Boston College hadn’t even been invited to the NFL scouting combine that year. They saw something in Hasselbeck.

Mike Holmgren carried the vision with him to Seattle in 1999, when he was hired as coach and GM. Two years later, he orchestrated the trade that brought Hasselbeck to the Seahawks.

Just what is that “it” Hasselbeck possesses? Mike McCarthy, the Packers head coach, was the team’s QB coach in 1999.

“The thing that first jumped out at me in Matt was I just felt he was a winner,” McCarthy said this week. “He got in there at every opportunity and he just dove into it headfirst. And I love that about him. Whether it was studying film or working fundamentals or learning the offense, he just couldn’t get enough of it.

“I just felt that he had that winner personality. He wasn’t scared to take the shot when it needed to be delivered. He’s very smart, very cerebral. He can definitely work, can manage a high-variation offense and so forth. I just thought he had a lot of potential. He’s worked extremely hard. He’s definitely put together an excellent career so far.”

Hasselbeck displayed that same confidence when he arrived in Seattle, despite a resume that included throwing 29 passes in two seasons as Brett Favre’s backup. At the team’s first minicamp, he walked through the locker room, as well as on and off the field, with a swagger.

McCarthy also noticed it.

“I thought he was confident from the day I met him,” the Packers coach said. “I wasn’t here his rookie season, but he definitely had that confidence in him, that confidence about it. From the first time he stepped in the huddle, there was no hesitation in his personality or his approach at all.

“He had that the day I met him. He’s not shy. There’s no doubt about that. He’s confident in his abilities and he should be, because he was the guy that always put in the extra work.”

Now, that work is paying off. Earlier this season, Hasselbeck moved past Krieg as the franchise leader in pass attempts and completions – with Jim Zorn, Hasselbeck’s former position coach, No. 3 on the lists. Next up, passing yards.

That it will happen at Lambeau only makes the accomplishment more meaningful.

“I think it’s a special place to play,” Hasselbeck said. “There are certain places. Like in college, I can remember going to South Bend, and there was just something really cool about that. In the NFL, I think Lambeau is probably that place, with the tradition and the history there with that organization.

“It’s a lot of fun. It’s probably my favorite place, on the road, to experience.”

Matt Hasselbeck already has become the Seahawks’ all-time leader in pass attempts and completions this season. With 73 passing yards in Sunday’s game against the Packers, he’ll also hold the record:

Passing yards
Total

Dave Krieg (1980-91)

Matt Hasselbeck (2001-present)

Jim Zorn (1976-84)

Pass Attempts
Total

Dave Krieg (1980-91)

Jim Zorn (1976-84)

Completions
Total

Dave Krieg (1980-91)

Jim Zorn (1976-84)

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Passing-fancy/f11a7cf9-8164-4446-819b-4d58b76e71f3

Feb 14, 2004
When: Sunday, 1:15 p.m., Qwest Field

Records: Seahawks 5-10, Titans 7-8

TV: KIRO/7 (Ian Eagle, Rich Gannon)

Radio: 710 ESPN-AM and KIRO-FM/97.3 (Steve Raible, Warren Moon, Jen Mueller)

Matchup microscope

Seahawks defense vs. Titans RB Chris Johnson: This just in – Johnson has a shot at becoming the sixth player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season. Getting Johnson to this plateau has been the talk of Tennessee all week, and the league’s leading rusher needs 128 yards to do it. The Seahawks’ motivation in their season finale is to avoid being on “highlight reels for the rest of eternity,” as coach Jim Mora put it. To do that, the Seahawks will have to deal with Johnson’s combination of speed, power and patience, which allows him to do damage running up the middle or to the outside.

One to watch

Matt Hasselbeck vs. himself. The Seahawks’ QB has turned the ball over nine times in the past two games, including throwing four interceptions against the Packers on the road last week as well as the Buccaneers at home the week before. Hasselbeck admits he has been pressing to try and make something happen for an offense that has scored 24 points during the current three-game losing streak.

Fun to watch

David Hawthorne. The second-year middle linebacker is having a season to remember, and build upon. He’ll make his 11th start for the injured Lofa Tatupu, but Hawthorne leads the team in tackles (107) and interceptions (three) and is third in sacks (four). The aforementioned task of containing Johnson will start with Hawthorne’s ability to dissect where the play is going and getting off blocks to hit Johnson before he gets going.

Notable

This will be the first time the Titans have played at Qwest Field. … The Titans are looking to become the first team in NFL history to finish .500 after starting 0-6. … The Seahawks are looking to avoid losing their final four games of a season for the first time since 1992. … The Titans have an eight-game winning streak against NFC opponents. … Seahawks TE John Carlson needs seven catches and 68 yards to break his franchise records for the position that he set last season (55 for 627). … Seahawks DE Patrick Kerney has 14 sacks in his past 14 games at Qwest Field. … In addition to leading the league in rushing (1,872), Johnson also leads the Titans in receiving (47). … The Titans have allowed 389 points, fourth most in the league behind the Lions (457), Rams (408) and Chiefs (400). … MLB Stephen Tulloch leads the Titans with 122 tackles

Feb 14, 2004
The Seahawks’ quest to prevent Chris Johnson from reaching 2,000 rushing yards starts with David Hawthorne and Jordan Babineaux, a pair of unlikely 100-tackle defenders.

David Hawthorne and Jordan Babineaux have come from common backgrounds to reach a common ground.

Each is from the football-fertile state of Texas – Hawthorne grew up in Corsicana, while Babineaux is from Port Arthur. Each flogged long odds to stick with the Seahawks as rookie free agents – Babineaux in 2004, Hawthorne in 2008. Each is a first-year starter – Hawthorne at middle linebacker, Babineaux at free safety. Each has earned a cool nickname since arriving in Seattle – “Heater” for Hawthorne and “Big Play Babs” for Babineaux. Each still carries that motivational something-to-prove chip on his shoulder.

Sunday, during the Seahawks’ season finale at Qwest Field, their common ground – and goal – is to prevent the Tennessee Titans’ Chris Johnson from getting the 128 rushing yards he needs to become the sixth back in NFL history to reach 2,000 in a single season.

“Nobody wants to be that team that lets a guy go into the record book on you,” Hawthorne said. “You take pride as a defense and we’re going to go out there and step up to the challenge.”

The step starts with the two-step that is Hawthorne and Babineaux, because they are the team’s leading tacklers. Each has reached the triple-digit plateau for the first time in his careers – Hawthorne with 107 and Babineaux with 101.

Another common thread: If you had asked in August which Seahawks defenders would surpass 100 tackles this season, these two would have been afterthoughts. That’s because Babineaux was not inserted into the starting lineup until the week of the season opener and Hawthorne is subbing for an injured Lofa Tatupu – who led the team in tackles in each of the past four seasons.

“We’ve asked a lot of these two, especially when you consider that we weren’t sure what their roles would be when training camp opened,” defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said after the team’s New Year’s Day practice. “Have they delivered? Just look at their numbers.”

In addition to the 107 tackles, Hawthorne also leads the team in interceptions (three) and is third in sacks (four). He could become the first player since strong safety Reggie Tongue in 2002 to lead the club in tackles and interceptions.

Babineaux, meanwhile, has two interceptions, six passes defended and 1½ sacks to go with his 101 tackles – which makes him the first Seahawks safety to hit triple digits since strong safety Robert Blackmon in 1996.

The significance of reaching the 100-tackle plateau has not been lost on either.

Babineaux has started games in the past – four at cornerback in 2005, eight at strong safety in 2006 and one last season at cornerback. But this year, he became a fulltime starter when incumbent free safety Brian Russell was released on the final roster cut.

“I think it says a lot, in a lot of ways,” Babineaux said of surpassing 100 tackles. “But for me, knowing that I have 100, I feel like I could have 110. And I’d trade 100 tackles for five interceptions any day.”

On the final day of the 2009 season, Babineaux will be busy in his pursuit of attempting to stop Johnson’s quest. In addition to playing free safety, he also has been lining up as one of the inside corners when the Seahawks use five and six defensive backs in their nickel and dime packages.

“Babs is playing multiple positions,” Bradley said. “So he’s extremely import to our defense, and he’s in positions where he has the ability to make a lot of plays for us. He’s definitely had a good year for us.”

Babineaux has had three games this season with at least 10 tackles and six others with more than five.

Hawthorne was a heat-seeking missile of a big hitter when he arrived out of TCU, but this season he has matured into a complete linebacker.

“What can you say about ‘Heater’?” Bradley said. “He’s stepped into a tough role. Lofa was the leader of the defense and to step into the position when everybody is looking at you and looking to you, he’s grown.”

Hawthorne’s first start came in Week 3 against the Chicago Bears.

“Then it was, ‘You’ve just got to get the call right. You’ve got to get the defense lined up,’ ” Bradley said. “Where now, he’s making checks (before the snap). So he has evolved, and you’re seeing it in his play. He’s more confident.”

You’ve also seen Hawthorne make a lot of plays. In that Chicago game, it was 16 tackles, third-most in franchise history. In the Week 8 game against the Cowboys, it was a pair of sacks. The following week against the Lions, it was two interceptions. In the past seven games, he has recorded double-digit tackles four times.

“It would mean a lot,” Hawthorne said when asked about the very real possibility that he could lead the team in tackles in only his second year, and despite the fact that Sunday will be his 11th start. “It would be something to look back on and say I accomplished a mini-goal.

“As an individual, and as a football player, you always want to know that you’re doing something positive and having some sort of success. So to lead the team in tackles would be an honor for me.”

Each felt they were capable of producing as they have this season, and each takes satisfaction from actually doing it once given the chance.

“The opportunity that they gave me and the faith they showed in me says a lot,” Babineaux. “So not only do I go out each week and want to show the coaches they made the right decision, I actually feel I deserve to be where I am.”

Offered Hawthorne, “This is a ‘show-me’ league. I’m not ultimately disappointed that I didn’t get drafted, I just got put in a situation where I had to go prove to a lot of people that I’m worthy of playing in the NFL.”

And, like Babineaux, making plays in the NFL.

May 9, 2002
Hawks should take the best available OT in the 1st, and try to get Tony Pike in the 2nd
Yes to OT in 1st, hell NO to Pike in 2nd...we already have Teel.

There are a number of DT's and S's we should look at in the early 2nd. Brian Price is entering the draft....id LOVE to have him up front.

Lost of serviceable RB's available in the mid rounds as well, like Dixon from Miss St.