Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Im still amazed how some no name came in and took the job from smith and hill I didnt see that coming my quess was Hill would take the job from smith now his a over paid 3rd stringer crazy. I guess 9er fans can look at it a few different way like hay we found a diamond in the rough in Jt or fuck smith is as close to a bust as you can say with out useing the word bust or fuck why did we pay hill 6 mill to ride the bench on 3rd string status. Cup half empty or half full guess it up to the fan.
well its still early, but its very possible we can look at it like the Trent Green/Kurt Warner Situation

or Kurt Warner/Marc Bulger.......

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Bubble week for 49ers' hopefuls Norris, Lelie might be cut

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/25/SPVV12HMCF.DTL

With five days to go before the roster cut-down to 53 players, a couple of intriguing names seem to be on the bubble for the 49ers. One of them is fullback Moran Norris, who has been relegated to the second team with the emergence of second-year player Zak Keasey.

Another is wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who has been injured almost all of training camp and who caught only 10 passes last year after being signed with the idea of being the team's home run threat.

Keasey ripped off a 16-yard gain against Chicago on Thursday and generally has blocked well in extended playing time. Unlike Norris, he's a demon on special teams. Although he was on the kick-coverage team that was pierced for two long returns by the Bears, he also should have been credited with a safety when he tackled Devin Hester on a punt return. Replays showed that Hester had stepped out of the end zone before retreating and being tackled on what was ruled a touchback. The 49ers couldn't challenge the call because they were out of timeouts.

"Running down, I saw him definitely step out," Keasey said.

Norris was the key lead blocker in Frank Gore's club-record 1,695-yard rushing season in 2006, but offensive coordinator Mike Martz might want a quicker fullback as a pass-catching threat. Coach Mike Nolan says he probably can keep only one fullback, and Keasey is out of practice-squad eligibility.

Norris has scored a couple of 1-yard touchdowns in the preseason. If he goes, the 49ers' short-yardage problems over the past two years might be exacerbated unless Keasey develops into that role. Norris could be trade bait because of his experience. The Raiders might be interested because of Oren O'Neal's season-ending knee injury in Saturday night's exhibition game.

Lelie leads active NFL receivers in career yards per reception (17.2), a credential that doesn't mean anything if he can't stay healthy. His calf injury has kept him out of all the exhibitions and limited him to only a few practice sessions in camp. Last year, he didn't endear himself to the coaches, who thought he didn't work hard enough in practice.

Bryant Johnson, this year's big receiver signee, hasn't played in the preseason either, but he seems to be on more solid footing than Lelie. He has been out with a hamstring injury since Aug. 4.

He no doubt would love to play in the Sept. 7 opener against the Arizona Cardinals, who let him become an unrestricted free agent after five seasons. Nolan cautioned, "If he hasn't played in the preseason, it would be hard to start him."

If the 49ers keep five wide receivers, they are likely to be Isaac Bruce, Arnaz Battle, Johnson, Jason Hill and rookie Josh Morgan. Dominique Zeigler might be a sixth, but he's more likely to spend a second year on the practice team.

Other vulnerable players would seem to be rookie linebacker Larry Grant, a seventh-round draft pick, and third-year cornerback Marcus Hudson. Grant is behind Jeff Ulbrich and Takeo Spikes at one inside position. Assuming third-round pick Reggie Smith makes the team, Hudson is vulnerable because of Keith Lewis' superiority on special teams.

Those special teams, of course, haven't been so special in the preseason. Maybe they miss Maurice Hicks - now with the Vikings - who was third on the team in tackles last year, behind Michael Robinson and Lewis. Lewis was among the players who missed tackles on the first long kickoff return by Chicago's Danieal Manning; he also missed a block that resulted in a blocked punt.

Briefly: The team had Sunday off. ... Lelie, Robinson (knee), Battle (hamstring) and guard David Baas (pectoral) are expected to return to practice today after long absences. Baas has been out since getting hurt in the weight room in the offseason. He started the last eight games at right guard last year and is expected to reclaim that spot.

Ulbrich, who had a lower back strain against the Bears, should be back in practice. He is competing with Spikes for a starting berth. ... Left guard Adam Snyder has a high ankle sprain, usually more worrisome than a typical ankle sprain, but should be back for the season opener, Nolan said. Snyder, along with Johnson, offensive tackle Jonas Jennings (hand) and return man Allen Rossum (chest contusion), are not expected to play in Friday night's preseason finale against San Diego.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Gore's Diary, Camp Breaks

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4523

Veteran running back Frank Gore is back for his latest 2008 Veteran Training Camp Diary. Find out his thoughts as the 49ers break training camp.

It was a great trip to Chicago, especially going up there and getting a W. The offense moved the ball very well against what is supposed to be a very good defense, and I felt good about that.

My legs felt a bit tired in the game, a little heavy. I don’t know if it was the quick trip and all of the flying but I was a bit tired. I felt that my eyes were good. I was seeing things well and my linemen were blocking very well and I was getting the rock and getting some runs. I just want to get my legs fresh this week. I might have to get in the cold tub some this week.

We got to our hotel about 10 on Wednesday night. Vernon, Delanie, Moran, Thomas and I went a few blocks over to get something quick to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. On Thursday I slept in and then hit the Louis Vuitton store and picked out some shoes, got me a little nap, ate the pregame meal and got ready for the game. It was a quick trip.

I went straight to the hotel when we landed from Chicago. Coach cancelled the meetings we were going to have on Friday and since it was the day we got to break camp, some guys just went on home. Since we didn’t get there until after 4am, I figured I’d just go ahead and sleep there for a few hours because I was so tired. So, I got up around 11 and then went ahead and moved my stuff home at that point.

I am very happy to break camp. Camp is the same all the time, you go to work, come back to the hotel for lunch and a short break, go back to work, eat dinner, go to meetings and then maybe have an hour left before curfew. You get very small windows to be out in the real world, and other than that, it’s all football and all of your time is planned out for you.

This training camp was a whole lot better for me, on the field and off the field. Last year I didn’t get to do anything because I broke my hand. That was frustrating, plus everything with my mom was so tough. So, this year was much better. I came in at a great weight, had a good camp, and am excited about the
offense.

The highlight of camp for me was messing with Vernon. From his hair falling out to just messing with him if he got frustrated over making a mistake on the field, it was funny. You can get him mad to where he wants to fight you, but then you start laughing and he knows you are just giving him a hard time. That’s my boy right there. That dude is funny.

So it’s good to be out of camp, and to be back home. Plus, it means the season is almost here, which is the best part for me. I’m excited about the season, especially after the way we played the last two weeks. The offense has put up a lot of points and I’m excited about the way we have moved the ball up and down the field.

Friday afternoon I watched one of the football games – Dallas and Houston – and I saw it come across the ticker that J.T. O’Sullivan was our starter. I kind of figured that just because he had started all three preseason games, and the third game is always a key one. So, that’s when you pretty much knew who it was going to be. I felt like all three quarterbacks competed very hard, but I think J.T. had a little jump on them because he had been with Coach Martz the year before. So, whoever Martz and the coaches feel is the best guy, I’m with it. But I definitely think that with any of them, we’ve got a great chance to win because I think they can all do the job.

We came back in on Saturday for a walk-thru, meetings and then an afternoon practice. It was a good day and nice to have the quarterback situation settled. I decided to go out on Santana Row last night and cheat on my diet and eat whatever I wanted to eat, but it’s right back on today. I’ve got a chef who drops off healthy food for me, so that’s what I’ll eat on this day off.

I was hoping to get to watch the Raiders/Cardinals game but I guess it was blacked out. Hopefully they’ll have it on sometime today. Otherwise, I’m sure we’ll get the film soon so we can start checking out Arizona since that’s our first game.

We have today off, so I’m just going to relax most of the day and get ready for Monday and another week of preseason play. I don’t know how much they’ll let me play this last game against San Diego. I’ll work hard during the week and be ready and if they don’t let me go, I’ll run a bunch of sprints before the game and get some good work in. It’s always good to talk to LaDainian Tomlinson. I’m always competing against other guys in the league so I’m sure we’ll challenge each other this year to see who does the best. I think if you are a true competitor you should always do that. And, I believe I’m a true competitor.

Thanks for reading my camp diaries. I’ll have one more next week to wrap up the preseason, so check it out.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
'Bust' label is too strong for 49ers' Smith

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/train...k&id=3552257&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Former No.1 pick Alex Smith has thrown 19 TD passes and 31 INTs in 32 career games.

Of all the terms you could use to describe Alex Smith's NFL adventure so far, there is one term that is truly best avoided.

Bust.

Smith is no bust. He might be playing Clipboard Guy to J.T. O'Sullivan, but he's no bust. A disappointment to this date, sure. A frustration, certainly, assuming your view of things begins and ends around Candlestick Point. A mystery, perhaps, if one hasn't been paying close attention to the ways in which Smith's career has been made to spin sideways.

But a bust? Not here, and absolutely not now. Smith is still just 24 years old. Strong arm, though not always accurate. Good head, though a tendency to over-intellectualize. Honest guy, though that'll get you in trouble in the NFL if you get carried away with the whole truth-telling thing.

In short, Smith remains an imperfect (but useful) product in a professional league that is made up almost entirely of flawed (but useful) products. He'll deliver for someone, and it won't take forever -- as long as that someone isn't the 49ers. The sooner San Francisco moves Smith, the sooner he can get on with the NFL career he's supposed to have.

Smith is, of course, responsible himself for some of what he's dealing with in his fourth season since being taken with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft -- a turn of events that led to his signing a contract that included $24 million in guaranteed bonus money, in case the previous 45,000 mentions of his bank account this month somehow slipped your notice.

The intervening years have been ones of hope, followed by perplexity, followed by the usual rush to figure out whom to blame for the fact that Smith didn't take this ragtag franchise by the scruff of the neck and lead it to glory.

Truth is, Alex Smith is no savior -- and never was. His No. 1 status, like some other No. 1s over the years, was a fluke, owing to the simple fact that the 49ers had to draft a quarterback in '05. The franchise narrowed its choice to Smith and Aaron Rodgers and took Smith. Even back then, his college coach at Utah, Urban Meyer, said it would take awhile for Smith to shake off Meyer's tricked-up offensive scheme and learn the NFL way of things.

Well, let's talk about that for a minute. Four years later, Smith is on his fourth offensive coordinator in San Francisco, from Mike McCarthy to Norv Turner to Jim Hostler and, now, Mike Martz. The quarterback who will start for the 49ers this season, O'Sullivan, came into camp having spent all last year learning Martz's system in Detroit. One can argue Smith ought to be able to rise above such mundane matters as who is drawing up the plays in the dirt, but that's not the reality of the NFL.

The reality, in fact, isn't kind to the 49ers and head coach Mike Nolan from any angle where Smith is concerned. Top pick or no top pick, Nolan rushed Smith into the job as a rookie, promoting him over Tim Rattay after a 1-3 start. Smith's reward? His first NFL start, against the Indianapolis Colts, who came into the game with one of the best defenses in the league. Four interceptions and a fumble later: Welcome to the show, kid.

It went like that. McCarthy left for Green Bay after year one, replaced by Turner, under whom Smith had his best season to date. Turner promptly left to become the Chargers' head coach, and Nolan, with the blessing of the front office, brought in the unproven Hostler to replace him. Hostler was promptly ditched after a single, disastrous season, yet somehow Smith is the one on the hook for the damage.

It's easy to forget Smith's 58 percent completion average under Turner in 2006, especially in light of the gear-stripping year of '07. Again, look at the role the 49ers played in this debacle. Smith limped out of the gate, trying to make Hostler's anemic system work on offense. Nolan, already feeling the pressure of a third-year coach who hadn't achieved a franchise turnaround, just had no patience on any level.

When Smith separated his shoulder, Nolan tried to say it was no big deal. Even as neutral observers could easily spot Smith sailing passes that he'd never missed before, Nolan essentially implied that Smith wasn't tough enough to handle the usual in-season injuries that all players face. Smith made things infinitely worse by answering truthfully reporters' questions about his condition, admitting his shoulder was "killing" him, and thus violating Rule No. 1 in the locker room (don't tell a reporter anything, ever).

The team wanted Smith to rehab the injury, clearly underestimating its severity. Smith didn't finally have surgery until December, a ridiculous mistake. Fault Smith for not simply taking over and going for the surgery himself sooner; he tried to play it the 49ers' way, and he lost.

The question of whether Smith will ever be a dominator is something else again. It's mostly silly, but it comes with the territory of being the top draft pick and being paid by the duffel bags full of cash. Smith ultimately is the guardian of his own career, a lesson he undoubtedly has learned several times over while going through the meat-grinder of the NFL life in San Francisco.

But a bust? It's way too early in the game for that. What Smith needs is a new zip code, not a gold watch.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I know you're not saying it... the author of the article is. He's just repeating what y'all said when I created that thread. I guess I was dead on with that one huh...

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Baas Ready for Practice

http://www.49ers.com/blog49/?p=28

Guard David Baas said he’s ready and excited about practicing later this afternoon.

“I’m just ready. I was glad when I found out I could go. I knew Saturday that I was going to get to go today so I was just ready,” said Baas. “It’s about time because it seems like it’s taken forever to get to this point. Now that it’s here, I’m glad. I’m just ready.”

Baas has been out since late April when he tore his pec while lifting.

”I feel really good, but there’s nothing like football shape. I’m sure it’ll be eye opening when I get back in there. Of course, games are faster too, so I just need to get my feel for things again, but I think it will come back pretty quickly.”

Baas is expected to take part in only individual work on Monday.