Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Trust, Not Chemistry

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4536&section=PR News

As Martz explains it, “If the route is supposed to be at 20 yards and they are all at 20 yards, it doesn’t make any difference who runs it. It’s just developing that trust and knowing that that guy is going to do what he is supposed to do.”

Starting quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan said he doesn’t bother to look around the huddle and see who might be in, or who isn’t. He gets the play from his coordinator, maybe reminds his receivers of what they expect to see from the defense and where the ball should go, gets to the line, checks the coverage and makes the throw he’s been coached to in that particular set of circumstances.

"It's a trust thing where they trust me to put the ball where I'm supposed to and I trust them to be where they need to be,” said O’Sullivan.

"But it’s not an evaluation process, like, ‘Oh, is he open? Who’s out there?’ or ‘Let’s see how long it takes him to get it.’ It’s, this play to that coverage. The ball goes there. Immediately, he better be there and I better put it right there.”

And since O’Sullivan doesn’t even really allow mistrust to even enter his mindset, the fact that receivers Arnaz Battle, Bryant Johnson and Ashley Lelie have returned to practice this week is exciting to the 49ers quarterback, but not any different.

“Everybody has to do things exactly the same," explained O'Sullivan. "Those guys have to do things exactly as they are coached to do it. It doesn’t change for me depending on who is out there or what the situation is in the game or what group you are with. Those guys have to be in the same spots as everybody else. It’s just a matter of doing it with those guys.”

Still, Martz said the lost time this camp with his expected top group of receivers does weigh on his mind heavily.

“It’s very necessary to have those guys out there. We’ve been behind the eight ball and that’s hurt us. We need that desperately. That will affect us. I’m concerned about it. We’ve had them out here a few days. BJ in particular has been real good. We need to get them in that environment as much as we can. To their credit, they’ve stayed in it. They don’t make mental errors, but just the connection between the quarterback and the receivers is real important.”

Because even more important maybe than O’Sullivan trusting the receivers, is Martz having a total overview of what those players can achieve with the ball in their hands.

"When you do the game plan and create things for these guys, you want to see if they can make a play and make the most out of something,” said Martz. “That’s not where J.T. is. He’s just going to play his game. My deal is ‘Alright Arnaz, what can you do with this?’ “Ok, BJ, here you go, what do you do with that?’

Martz might not yet have the complete picture he’d like, but it’s clear that he does expect those returning receivers to make plays. Although rookie Josh Morgan has had a phenomenal camp, leaving some to wonder if he might beat out Battle or Johnson, Martz indicated otherwise.

“It’s hard with Josh because he’s a rookie and he’s never been – the tempo of a regular vs preseason game is substantially different,” said Martz. “To play under that pressure, all of the sudden, the lights are shining, the timing isn’t like it was in the preseason because you are a little panicky and there’s that growth process you are trying to fight through. So to say that Josh is the guy who is going to start - he’s in it obviously, but we are really kind of planning on BJ to step up and be healthy and get ready to go.”

Of course, some things go as planned, some don’t and Martz has seen both sides of the coin in his first camp with the 49ers, starting with his new starter.

“I didn’t know much about J.T.,” confessed Martz. “In Detroit, he did a real nice job for us as a backup. But what he’s done so far is to take an opportunity and made the most of it. To say that I expected him to be this good, I’d be lying. I didn’t know that. I thought he had a chance to be a pretty good player, but he’s taken the opportunity, ran with it and excelled.”

Running back Frank Gore has meanwhile been every bit as good as Martz expected, and more.

“I don’t think there isn’t anything he can’t do. I haven’t seen it yet. I would say we are very pleased and he’s kind of what we thought he would be, and more. He does not make mental errors. He’s in good shape. Although it was a preseason game last week, I’m really pleased with running, his vision, his cuts. He’s really ready to play. He’s ready to go and he’s the kind of player you build an offense around.”

But Martz said he’s been most pleased with the offensive line that has been blocking well for Gore and providing O’Sullivan with ample time to get the ball out, describing it as one of the best units he’s had to work with in “a long, long time.”

"The thing that allows us to excel offensively is all based on our offensive line,” said Martz. “That goes back to sacks, protection, the ability to run the ball well. Everything is predicated on how well they do. They’ve really made remarkable progress from the first week of camp to where they are now.”

That success up front so early-on, and with a group that has taken some injury hits, is one of the many reasons why Martz believes the bar should be set high for this offense in ’08.

“I don’t have a preconceived notion of where we should be; I just wouldn’t put a limit of it,” said Martz. “I’m excited about this group. It’s a talented group with great character. They are very unselfish, and their work ethic is really good so there is really probably nothing they can’t accomplish. They just don’t know that yet. I wouldn’t put a limit, or a ceiling on it.”

More From Martz

Martz took offense to a question about whether the competition was fair to Alex Smith since he didn’t get to start in the preseason.

“First of all, let me tell you this, let’s get this straight. There is nothing fair about this league,” said Martz. “If you establish yourself as an incredible player within the quarterback game, then that’s just the way it goes. So understand that."

Martz said that it wasn’t what Alex hasn’t done, but what J.T. has.

“It really isn’t so much about Alex, but J.T.’s performances have been so unusual. I think Alex is fine. He hasn’t done anything to discredit him as a starter or to say that he can’t play. That’s not been the issue at all. We had an opportunity to give these guys a day off with their arm and J.T. stepped in and did some remarkable things so we decided to take more of a look at him. The more we gave him, the better he did.”

Wednesday Practice Update

The 49ers held an early afternoon practice in shells on Wednesday, their last full-fledged work prior to Friday night’s game.

Linebacker Dontarrious Thomas returned to work after sitting out on Tuesday with a shoulder sprain.

Josh Morgan and Keith Lewis missed practice again due to an illness. Lewis did come out to at least watch the latter part of practice.

Guard Adam Snyder also missed practice, but he was spotted for the first time out at practice since being carted off the field last Tuesday with an ankle injury.

Tackle Jonas Jennings (hand) and returner Allen Rossum (chest contusion) also missed practice.

All five of those non-practicing players in Jennings, Lewis, Morgan, Rossum and Snyder have been ruled out of the game.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Martz Speaks

http://www.49ers.com/blog49/?p=34

The 49ers held an early afternoon practice in shells only on Wednesday, their last full-scale practice prior to Friday night’s game against San Diego.

Five players have been ruled out of that game: S Keith Lewis (illness), T Jonas Jennings (hand), WR Josh Morgan (illness), RS Allen Rossum (chest contusion), and G Adam Snyder (ankle).

All but Morgan were at least out watching practice, making that the first practice field sighting of Snyder since he was carted off last Tuesday with the ankle injury.

Offensive coordinator Mike Martz talked to the media, and we’ll have more on that later on 49ers.com but here are a few of the highlights.

Martz took offense to a question about whether the competition was fair to Alex Smith since he didn’t get to start in the preseason.

“First of all, let me tell you this, let’s get this straight. There is nothing fair about this league. If you establish yourself as an incredible player within the quarterback game, then that’s just the way it goes. So understand that. “

Martz said that it wasn’t what Alex hasn’t done, but what J.T. has.

“It really isn’t so much about Alex, but J.T.’s performances have been so unusual. I think Alex is fine. He hasn’t done anything to discredit him as a starter or to say that he can’t play. That’s not been the issue at all. We had an opportunity to give these guys a day off with their arms and J.T. stepped in and did some remarkable things. So we decided to take more of a look at him. The more we gave him, the better he did.”

It also sounds like Morgan, who had a stellar camp, will not crack the starting lineup on opening day.

“It’s hard with Josh because he’s a rookie and he’s never been – the tempo of a regular vs preseason game is substantially different,” said Martz. “To play under that pressure, all of the sudden, the lights are shining, the timing isn’t like it was in the preseason because you are a little panicky and there’s that growth process you are trying to fight through. So to say that Josh is the guy who is going to start - he’s in it obviously, but we are really kind of planning on BJ (Bryant Johnson) to step up and be healthy and get ready to go.”

Although tight end Delanie Walker has gotten reps with the receivers, Martz said he will not be moving Walker back to receiver. He does expect the tight end to wear a lot of different hats though in the upcoming season.

He also said he’s been extremely happy with Frank Gore, and doesn’t think there is anything the running back can’t do. He also said that the offensive line has been a higlight, and one of the better units he’s worked with in a “long, long time.”

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Nolan's Notebook: August 27

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4535&section=PR News

RE: Opening Statement:
“Obviously, the first group of players playing will be important to get the timing and the chemistry all down between the players. In the case of the two’s and the three’s, they’re guys trying to make the squad so it will be important for them to play well. We have about five guys that will not play in the game I’ll let Aaron [Salkin] give you the five names after. He’ll give them to you.”

RE: Who starts at split end?
“It will be between Bryant Johnson and Ashley Lelie. Bryant Johnson, if he’s well, looks like he was able to go today pretty good, so it’ll be nice to see him, and at the other position it will be Isaac Bruce and Arnaz Battle, three wide receivers. Obviously all three receivers will be in the game at the same time.”

RE: [Is] Josh Morgan [still] sick?
“Josh Morgan is still ill. He will not play in the game.”

RE: What’s his illness?
“He’s totally ill.”

RE: On deciding who will start at wide receiver:
“Like I said [about] everybody that plays this weekend. You know we haven’t seen Bryant Johnson, nor have we seen Ashley Lelie for the entire preseason so far, so I’ll be anxious to see how they do in the game. Josh Morgan, although a rookie and although it was two preseason games, he played in last week’s game although he didn’t do very much, so I guess he didn’t play in three preseason games. But anyhow, he did a very good job. It’ll be good problem if it’s a tough decision to be honest with you because it means that we have more than one guy. All of those guys will be called upon to contribute. First game to seeing as if they don’t make the roster I’m sure they do, but I would hope that they contribute. Who starts? We’ll have to wait and see on that one.”

RE: Will we see a lot of them in the first series, like just Bryant [Johnson] and Ashley [Lelie]?
“Yes, those guys haven’t played much, so a quarter, if not a half. I hope to see more of them. Some of the [reps] will depend on them. If they start to feel it tightening up or whatever, they absolutely won’t get as much. I hope that does not occur because, just liked we talked about, we want to get in that first [season] game with that healthy group.”

RE: I bet J.T. [O’Sullivan] would like to get some reps with these receivers that might be his starters also?
“We did put a lot of emphasis these practices this week. We went good against good the entire week, which is not typical for this week, so we got a lot of good work and that was exactly what you guys were talking about. J.T. [O’Sullivan] got a lot of work with those guys that you were talking about in practice. Even though it maybe limited in the game, like I said, we tried to get in three days here this week as opposed to one game and I thought that was more important.”

RE: So this week you didn’t do much scout [work]?
“Well, they’re very similar to us. Today was more of San Diego than the other two days were, but our offense will identify from a scheme standpoint.”

RE: You know they’re thinking about shortening down preseason and adding more games, what would be your opinion of that?
“I like the way it is to be honest with you, but if they change it, I’d like that too I’d imagine. I don’t have much of a choice, but as it is, I like it because you have to prepare your football team number one, and you’ve got to evaluate a bunch of guys that you want to see if they are going to make you better or not. And if it’s too tight of a time frame, then I don’t know how you are really going to evaluate those guys, because now you’ve got three games. What’s more important, getting your guys ready or seeing who can beat somebody out? At least with four games, you can try to accomplish both, if I’m making any sense, with three games you have to say, I’d rather get my team ready than try to figure out if you’re going to be part of the team, but every year there’s somebody that shows up that wouldn’t. Our training camp, this one is a great example. How many reps would Josh Morgan have gotten had those other guys all been healthy? I don’t know. Maybe he’d have been a fence player. He’s obviously he’s in pretty good standing with what he did in those games, but I don’t know if I would have seen that. Like I said, that is why I like the four [games], but if they do the three, then everybody would have the same issues and we’ll go from there.”

RE: How tough is it for you this week when you’ve got to cut 23 players?
“That’s probably the toughest—I think most guys would tell you that’s probably one of the more difficult things in doing it, but I know from personal experience. I did try out, I did get cut. There are better things afterwards and it may not be in football, sometimes it is. The better our football team gets, some of the guys we let go still are playing, so it’s not like I’m severing off someone’s dream. That’s usually kind of where it gets you on the human side, but like I said, you’ve got to do those things because it is part of the job and the most important to me are obviously the 53 that make our roster and the practice squad guys, so I’ve got to do what’s necessary to make this one of the best teams, but it’s difficult. I don’t think anyone in the game would tell you it’s not. It would be hard to be a good coach if the guys didn’t see that you loved them at some point. Maybe on that day, but at least leading up to it, they’d like to think that you cared about them.”

RE: Getting back to the receivers, during the offseason, you cut ties with Darrell Jackson and you kept [Ashley] Lelie around. You could argue that Jackson was more productive last year than Lelie. What is it about Lelie that you saw in him, that maybe this guy is going to be a worthwhile 49er. Was it Jerry Sullivan chiming in on that?
“I can’t recall. I can’t answer that.”

RE: Are you going to be wearing the suits at all this year?
“All the home games. They’ve approved it for the road games, but I can’t wear the coat. I have to wear Reebok over the top, but I’m not sure, I think I’ll just wear it for home games.”

Please submit your questions via email to [email protected] and then check back next Friday to see if your question was selected!

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers rookie receiver impresses Rice

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_10319898?nclick_check=1

Like most young receivers, Josh Morgan grew up a Jerry Rice fan.

Turns out, the feeling is mutual.

Rice said Wednesday that he has been impressed by the 49ers' sixth-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech. He thinks Morgan could make an immediate impact.

"I'm expecting him to do some great things this year,'' Rice said.

Morgan has nine catches for 182 yards over the 49ers' first three exhibition games. An illness has kept him off the field this week and he will not play Friday in the exhibition finale against the San Diego Chargers at Candlestick Park.

Still, Rice has seen plenty. "He's been very productive and he has a big frame,'' he said of the 6-foot, 219-pound Morgan.

He also likes the way the rookie made use of the extra playing time he got because of injuries to other receivers.

"It was a great opportunity for him,'' Rice said. "I think it would be a great opportunity for me, too." He was joking — presumably — about another comeback. Rice turns 46 on Oct. 13.

The NFL's all-time leading receiver was in Santa Clara to promote the Capital City Football Classic to be played at Hughes Stadium in Sacramento on Sept. 13.

The game between Texas Southern University and Shaw University is designed to show Northern California the "culture, history and pageantry'' of football at historically black colleges, according to organizers.

Rice, who went to Mississippi Valley State, said: "I want the fans to come out and support it because it's going to be the experience of a lifetime." Rice's daughter, Jaqui, will sing the national anthem. Information is available at www.capitalcityfootballclassic.com.

Coach Mike Nolan said he plans to wear suits at all of the 49ers' home games this season. He will not wear them on the road, despite getting conditional approval from the NFL. The league said that on the road, he would have to wear Reebok apparel over his suit jacket. Nolan said he'd rather not go for the "Mr. Rogers look."

Quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan is a starter for the first time, but he still cringes at the thought of cut-down day. Saturday marks the day rosters are trimmed to 53, and he knows the pain of missing the cut.

"Everyone in the country knows you just got fired,'' O'Sullivan said. "It's put in the paper. I check the transactions. That's just the way "... that's what happens. You get fired. It's embarrassing. That's how I look at it."

Besides Morgan, four other players were declared out for Friday's game: returner Allen Rossum (chest contusion), guard Adam Snyder (ankle), tackle Jonas Jennings (hand) and safety Keith Lewis (chest).

Nolan said the starting unit will play one series to one quarter against the Chargers.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Niners make moves to get to roster limit

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2257060

The 49ers have to trim 22 players from their roster today to get to the 53-man limit. But this does not necessarily mean that everyone who survived today is safe. GM Scot McCloughan said Friday night the club will continue to scour the waiver wire for players who can help the team.

Here is how they did it:

INJURED RESERVE

OLB Jay Moore (Nebraska): He sustained a torn right biceps while trying to make a second-quarter tackle of the Chargers' Mark Jones on a kickoff return Friday night. It is the second time in his two-year career that an injury in the final exhibition game put him out for the regular season. Moore, a fourth-round pick in the 2007 draft, sustained a high-ankle sprain last year. Moore will not be able to practice with the team this season.

RELEASED

WR Ashley Lelie (Hawaii): He missed most of training camp with a calf strain and did not catch a pass in the exhibition finale. It's possible that the 49ers could re-sign him to the active roster before after the first game of the season. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

RB Thomas Clayton (Kansas State): The sixth-round pick in the 2007 draft came on strong for a second summer in a row. However, he was not going to be able to crack into the team's top three running backs with Frank Gore, DeShaun Foster and Michael Robinson in front of him. He improved greatly as a runner but needs to work on his blocking and special-teams play. He finished the exhibition season with a 186 yards and a touchdown on 42 carries for a 4.4-yard average. It's possible, but not likely, he'll get picked up. But he could find his way onto a 53-man roster this season with some injuries around the league. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

FB Moran Norris (Kansas): He was instrumental as a lead-blocker to Frank Gore in 2006 (when Gore rushed for 1,695 yards). But Norris' play fell off last season, and Zak Keasey overtook him for the one fullback job. The Chiefs have expressed some interest in him, so he could find a job somewhere else. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

WR Jerard Rabb (Boise State): Did not get much action during the exhibition season after spending the final two weeks on the 49ers' practice squad last season. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

WR Cam Colvin (Oregon): His best day of practices might have been on Aug. 4 when the made a nice impact during the 49ers' joint session with the Raiders. He did not see much action during the exhibition season, as he did not have any receptions (one pass was nullified by a penalty). He missed two weeks of OTAs due to school obligations, and he had a difficult time catching up. Still, the former De La Salle prep star showed some promise. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

WR Dominique Zeigler (Baylor): He led the 49ers in the exhibition season with 15 catches for 162 yards and a touchdown. Zeigler spent last season on the practice squad before sustaining a knee injury in December and going on IR. There is no denying his hands are NFL quality. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

WR Robert Ortiz (San Diego State): He came to the team a week into training camp after Cal's Robert Jordan left the team. Ortiz caught one pass for 8 yards during the exhibition season. His muffed punt late in Friday's game gave the Chargers the opportunity for victory in the final minute. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

TE J.J. Finley (Oklahoma): The undrafted rookie did not catch a pass during the exhibition season. It was going to be nearly impossible for him to break into this group with holdovers Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker and Billy Bajema back for another season. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

OG Brian de la Puente (Cal): The undrafted rookie played about as well as could've been expected this summer. He got the start at LG in the 49ers' third exhibition game, and he definitely held his own against Bears three-time Pro Bowler DT Tommie Harris. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

OT Alan Reuber (Texas A&M): Saw action at RT during the exhibition season, but did not show enough to convince the squad to keep a 10th offensive lineman. He's been bouncing around the league since 2004, so clearly his window of opportunity is running out. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

OT Joe Toledo (Washington): He played left tackle with the second team through the exhibition season. After getting off to a slow start, he ended up playing pretty well. However, the 49ers believe they have enough versatility from their backups on the offensive line. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

OT Chris Patrick (Nebraska): He was picked up after the first exhibition game when Damane Duckett went down with a season-ending knee injury. Patrick showed some promise during his time with the team, though he was beaten for a sack Friday night. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

DE Walter Curry (Albany State): The 49ers were very high on him, but it simply came down to the numbers. They felt as if they could keep no more than six defensive linemen (including Justin Smith). Curry worked his way up to the second team, but there just wasn't another spot available. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

NT Atiyyah Ellison (Missouri): He was signed off the Ravens' practice squad leading up to the first game of the regular season, but he never suited up for a game. The 49ers wanted to keep him around for an entire season to see what he could do. There might be a job for him somewhere in the NFL. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

DE LaJuan Ramsey (USC): The 49ers picked him up as a waiver claim before the opening of training camp from the Eagles. He showed some good things, but could not crack into the rotation on the line. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

DE Louis Holmes (Arizona): It's no surprise that he was released, but he showed plenty for the 49ers to keep him around on the practice squad. As long as he continues working and progressing, Holmes could eventually be ticketed for the 53-man roster. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

LB Larry Grant (Ohio State): His shining moment during the preseason came on the Chargers' game-winning drive. He made a couple of goal-line tackle and also broke up two passes. The seventh-round pick showed enough good things this summer and figures to return to the 49ers' practice squad. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

LB Dennis Haley (Virginia): The 49ers have a lot of good inside linebackers, so it was difficult for Haley to break into that group. He played well throughout the exhibition season, and finished his 49ers career with five tackles, including one for a loss, and a forced fumble. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

CB Markus Curry (Michigan): He really showed some good things in pass coverage during the exhibition season - his second summer with the 49ers. Originally signed by the Chargers as a rookie free agent, he played a couple regular-season games for the Chargers in 2006. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

S D.J. Parker (Virginia Tech): He saw a lot of action in the exhibition season. He finished Friday's game with two tackles and a pass defensed. Parker received the largest signing bonus of any of the 49ers' undrafted players ($6,000), so they might want to keep him around. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

K/P Ricky Schmitt (Shepherd): His versatility saved the 49ers a roster spot during training camp when teams generally keep a backup punter AND a backup kicker. Schmitt filled both backup roles. He averaged 43.7 yards on three punts, while making 3 of 4 FG attempts and all five PATs. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

OT Joe Toledo (Washington): He played left tackle with the second team through the exhibition season. After getting off to a slow start, he ended up playing pretty well. However, the 49ers believe they have enough versatility from their backups on the offensive line. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

OT Chris Patrick (Nebraska): He was picked up after the first exhibition game when Damane Duckett went down with a season-ending knee injury. Patrick showed some promise during his time with the team, though he was beaten for a sack Friday night. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

DE Walter Curry (Albany State): The 49ers were very high on him, but it simply came down to the numbers. They felt as if they could keep no more than six defensive linemen (including Justin Smith). Curry worked his way up to the second team, but there just wasn't another spot available. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

NT Atiyyah Ellison (Missouri): He was signed off the Ravens' practice squad leading up to the first game of the regular season, but he never suited up for a game. The 49ers wanted to keep him around for an entire season to see what he could do. There might be a job for him somewhere in the NFL. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

DE LaJuan Ramsey (USC): The 49ers picked him up as a waiver claim before the opening of training camp from the Eagles. He showed some good things, but could not crack into the rotation on the line. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

DE Louis Holmes (Arizona): It's no surprise that he was released, but he showed plenty for the 49ers to keep him around on the practice squad. As long as he continues working and progressing, Holmes could eventually be ticketed for the 53-man roster. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

LB Larry Grant (Ohio State): His shining moment during the preseason came on the Chargers' game-winning drive. He made a couple of goal-line tackle and also broke up two passes. The seventh-round pick showed enough good things this summer and figures to return to the 49ers' practice squad. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

LB Dennis Haley (Virginia): The 49ers have a lot of good inside linebackers, so it was difficult for Haley to break into that group. He played well throughout the exhibition season, and finished his 49ers career with five tackles, including one for a loss, and a forced fumble. Practice-squad eligibility: No.

CB Markus Curry (Michigan): He really showed some good things in pass coverage during the exhibition season - his second summer with the 49ers. Originally signed by the Chargers as a rookie free agent, he played a couple regular-season games for the Chargers in 2006. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

S D.J. Parker (Virginia Tech): He saw a lot of action in the exhibition season. He finished Friday's game with two tackles and a pass defensed. Parker received the largest signing bonus of any of the 49ers' undrafted players ($6,000), so they might want to keep him around. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

K/P Ricky Schmitt (Shepherd): His versatility saved the 49ers a roster spot during training camp when teams generally keep a backup punter AND a backup kicker. Schmitt filled both backup roles. He averaged 43.7 yards on three punts, while making 3 of 4 FG attempts and all five PATs. Practice-squad eligibility: Yes.

Lowell Cohn and Vernon Davis had a little chat after the game last night. You can read it in the Cohn Zohn.
http://cohn.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2257061&mode=

Dec 22, 2004
Niners claim LB Ahmad Brooks
The 49ers reached the 53-player limit on Saturday, but any player who squeezed onto the roster was still holding his breath today when waiver claims came through.

The 49ers claimed LB Ahmad Brooks (Bengals) and released Dontarrious Thomas, who had a tough game on Friday with several missed tackles.

The 49ers named RB Thomas Clayton, DL Atiyyah Ellison, TE J.J. Finley, LB Larry Grant, DL Louis Holmes and WR Dominique Zeigler to the practice squad. The team has two practice squads remaining to fill. The 49ers also have OL Ramiro Pruneda as part the NFL's international practice squad program.

Also, OG Brian de la Puente was claimed off waivers by the Kansas City Chiefs.

The 49ers were interested in Brooks (6-3, 259) of Virginia during the 2006 supplemental draft. The Bengals acquired him with a third-round draft pick. The 49ers were believed to be willing to spend a fourth-rounder for him. He played in 11 games as a rookie and just two last season due to a torn groin muscle.

Brooks was considered a first-round talent but a player who presented a character risk. He received some notoriety several months ago due to an allegation in northern Kentucky.

Thomas was a disappointment after the 49ers thought he might be able to win a starting job at inside linebacker. The club signed him March 3 to a two-year, $1.75 million contract that included a $400,000 signing bonus. He played 59 games with the Vikings over his first four NFL seasons after being selected in the second round of the 2004 draft. Thomas will count $200,000 against the cap this season and next (and that's a yearly savings of $650,000).

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Throwback Uniforms

The 49ers will be wearing throwback uniforms from the 80’s and 90’s on Alumni Day against Seattle on October 26 and on Fan Appreciate Day against Washington on December 28.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Injury Report

http://49ers.com/gameday/injury_reports.php

San Francisco 49ers Injury Report

Name Position Injury Wednesday Thursday Friday Friday Status
Aubrayo Franklin DT Knee FP
Parys Haralson LB Shoulder FP

Opponents' Injury Report

Name Position Injury Wednesday Thursday Friday Friday Status
Al Johnson C Knee DNP
Gabe Watson DT Knee DNP
Alan Branch DT Ankle DNP
Ben Patrick TE Ankle Limited
Mike Gandy T Knee Full

LP - Limited Participation = less than 100% of a player's normal repetitions

FP - Full Participation = 100% of a player's normal repetitions

DNP - Did Not Participate in Practice

Out - Definitely will not play

Doubtful - at least 75% chance will not play

Questionable - 50-50 chance will not play

Probable - virtual certainty will be available for normal duty

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Offense Ready for Real Test

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4570&section=PR News

Quarterback JT O Sullivan has never started a regular season game during his six years of playing in the NFL, but his lack of starts doesn’t concern head coach Mike Nolan. In fact, Nolan expects his new starting quarterback to build on his preseason performances and be an asset throughout the upcoming season, starting Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.

“He’s moved the ball well,” said Nolan. “When he’s had a bad play, he’s come back typically with good plays. He does not play cautious, he plays aggressive. He plays smart most of the time. There’s only been a few times that he’s probably made…in that Oakland game a couple weeks back he probably made a couple decisions that I know he’d like to take back. Since then, he’s played very smart. I expect him to play tough, smart, attacking, aggressive, which is what Mike Martz demands out of him, too.”

Across the field will be one of the best to have ever operated Martz’ s offense in Cardinals starting quarterback Kurt Warner, a two-time NFL MVP while playing for Martz in St. Louis.

O’Sullivan aims to mimic some of the things he’s picked up from watching Warner execute the offense.

“He is fearless,” said O’Sullivan of Warner. “He stands back there and takes big shots to make plays down the field. He is so accurate with the ball and gives the guys a chance to make big plays down the field. Just the way he ran the offense and the way he gets the ball out of his hand are all things we try to do in this offense.”

And first start or not, O’Sullivan expects success.

“To win and play well,” he said of his goals for Sunday. “Move the ball, score touchdowns. Do whatever we have to do to win this game. That’s my only expectation.”

That confidence has rubbed off on his supporting cast.

“I think JT is a guy who is only going to keep improving on the talents he already possesses, focus on the job at hand and go from there,” said Tony Wragge. “I think he’s done an excellent job and as an offensive line we are going to protect him.”

Given solid protection, tight end Vernon Davis said he has no doubts that O’Sullivan will deliver the ball.

“I have a lot of confidence in JT,” said Davis. “He’s a good quarterback, he’s very patient and he cares a lot about his job. He’d do anything to be good. He wants to be good, and I see in that, and all we have to do is catch his passes.”

Seeing how Davis will be used by Martz in the 49ers passing offense is something most everyone affiliated with the organization has anticipated all off-season.

“I’m pretty sure he’s going to bring out a lot of stuff this week – getting guys downfield, spreading the field, getting the tight ends to stretch the field,” said Davis. “I’m excited to make plays. I can’t wait.”

Running back Frank Gore also expects that Martz will roll out his complete arsenal for this important divisional contest.

“I can’t wait,” said Gore. “Coach Martz, he’s a very smart coach. Just by going over everything this morning, it should be fun. He didn’t break everything down yet, but by going over the plays we might run in the game, it’s going to be fun.”

Gore might not know the whole game plan at this point, but he’s seen enough from the 49ers offense this preseason, particularly in the passing game, to believe Arizona won’t get away with stacking the box as they did in past years.

“What I love about it, you can’t really stack eight or nine men in the box,” said Gore. “Now I can see a lot of lanes and now I can show everybody in the NFL I can catch the ball and run routes too. It’s going to be fun just seeing me running around. It’s going to be a whole lot of fun this year.”

Wragge, who appears to have held down the spot at starting right guard, also believes it will be a fun year for everyone involved with the 49ers.

“I really do think we’ve got some explosive weapons, but you’ve got to go execute and get the win,” said Wragge. “That’s what makes it fun.”

Based off last year’s two exciting finishes against Arizona, Wragge expects another highly combative game against his former team.

“I don’t know what it is but over the last few years this game has really become a true grudge match,” said Wragge. “It could be because we have some of their players, they have some of ours, but it’s definitely going to be a nitty gritty match that comes down to the last few plays. There is a lot of pride on the line for this one.”

One of those former Arizona players now suiting up in the red and gold is veteran wide receiver Bryant Johnson. Although Nolan has yet to name him a starter, it’s evident that Johnson will get his opportunities this season.

“I remember when I played in Arizona and he came in,” said Wragge. “He’s always been a very valuable asset to any offense he’s been in. it’s great to have him. He’s definitely a threat, and he’s a guy who can bring us big plays and then also draw attention that will open up some other guys. We all work together. I think to have him in our offense is a huge asset and I’m excited to see him play on Sunday.”

Johnson’s arrival in San Francisco could be looked at as a double-edged sword. He’s an asset for the 49ers, and a loss for Arizona.

“We lose a lot,” admitted Warner. “Bryant was a great complement to our other two guys (Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald). He was very explosive and could give us the big play and stretch the field for us. He’s just a tremendous pro – knew what he was doing. A tremendous athlete. He was a number three [receiver] here but, as we know, probably deserved to be in a higher position than that, if it wasn’t for the other two guys that we’ve got here. But he’s that kind of talent, to have that as your number three receiver was just a great position as a quarterback to be in.”

As for Johnson, he’s purposely trying to put a lid on his personal emotions this week.

“I’m trying to take my emotions out of it, and not make it about me against them,” said Johnson. “It’s our team against them, and it’s an important game regardless of whether we were playing my former team or not. It’s important because it’s a divisional game and a win would be a good start for the season.”

In Good Standing

As anticipated head coach Mike Nolan had his entire squad available for Wednesday’s practice. NT Aubrayo Franklin and LB Parys Haralson were listed on the injury report after suffering injuries in last week’s game, but both players fully participated in practice.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Thursday Practice Update

http://www.49ers.com/blog49/?p=55

Tight end Delanie Walker was added to the injury report after missing today’s session due to a calf strain. Head coach Mike Nolan expects Walker to return to practice on Friday.

Nolan said he expects Adam Snyder to start at left guard with David Baas being the backup at both guard positions. He’s still undecided at receiver on the position opposite Isaac Bruce. He expects Jeff Ulbrich and Takeo Spikes to both see playing time at inside linebacker, alongside Patrick Willis.

The team worked in full pads today. They’ll have a lighter practice Friday as they conclude their practice work week.

JOE MONTANA IS THE GREATEST 49ER

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=3562&action=1&question26997=107348

1) Who is the greatest player in 49ers history?

59.7% Joe Montana, QB (1979-92):
Led the 49ers to four Super Bowl titles and innumerable magic moments.

34.5% Jerry Rice, WR (1985-2000):
Shattered most NFL receiving records and was a first-team All-Pro 10 times.

2.3% Steve Young, QB (1987-99)
Hall of Famer escaped Montana's shadow and made his own case as best of all time.

2.0% Roger Craig, RB (1983-1990):
Four-time Pro Bowler. More than 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in 1985.

1.1% Ronnie Lott, DB (1981-90):
Known as one of the fiercest hitters of all time. Hall of Famer made 10 Pro Bowls.

0.1% Charles Haley, DE (1986-91, 1998-99):
Recorded 12 sacks as a rookie and never looked back. Had 100.5 career sacks.

0.1% Leo Nomellini, DT (1950-63):
A six-time first-team All-Pro, he started 159 of 160 games from 1950-62.

0.1% Joe Perry, FB (1948-60, 1963)
Hall of Famer led his league in rushing yards and rushing TDs three times.

0.1% Dave Wilcox, LB (1964-74):
A third-round pick who went to seven Pro Bowls in 11 seasons.

0.1% Jimmy Johnson, CB (1961-76):
Recorded 47 interceptions on his way to the Hall of Fame.

Dec 9, 2005
Yo! Who's going to the Season Opener ?!

Catch me in the Lower East Stands throwing peanuts at Cardinal fans, with my Cutty flask in hand filled to the brim with 'Yak.

Dec 9, 2005
Yo! Who's going to the Season Opener ?!

Catch me in the Lower East Stands throwing peanuts at Cardinal fans, with my Cutty flask in hand filled to the brim with 'Yak.

Jan 27, 2005
Smith Calls Injury a Very, Very Freaky Occurrence
September 8th, 2008
Quarterback Alex Smith said he does have a broken bone in his shoulder, but he still doesn’t know what his treatment plan will be. Smith is not wearing a sling to protect the injury, but he has been told to stay away from contact or throwing.

“Just letting it try to settle down; get the inflammation out of there,” said Smith. “There’s a broken bone in there, so I’m not trying to get it to move or anything.”

Surgery is one possible outcome, but not necessarily the only course of action.

“There’s a possibility of yes and no, so we’re just trying to figure out what we’re going to do with it and how we’re going to treat it.”

Smith hoped to know more today, but he’s still waiting to hear back from Dr. Andrews in Birmingham, who performed the surgery on his three torn ligaments last season.

The fourth-year quarterback called the injury a “freak” occurrence, saying he doesn’t believe he took any hard hits in the preaseason that would have caused the fracture.

“They don’t know. In theory, just throwing would be really hard to do. It’s kind of a freaky deal. They said it couldn’t happen – kind of impossible. So I don’t know if I did do something getting hit. But I cannot remember taking anything even close to it - a major blow in the preseason. So nothing I can even recall – even feeling anything. So I don’t know.”

Smith said he definitely felt something during last Friday’s afternoon practice.

“It had some soreness at times but nothing like this. One throw and I knew something was wrong.”

Asked in a follow up question if this is a pretty freak thing, he answered, “As far as I understand, very. Very, very, very.”

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Niners considering the options at QB

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2260485

Veteran QB Jamie Martin is one serious option available to the 49ers as they continue to discuss their course of action with Alex Smith's fractured shoulder.

It is possible that Smith's situation (rest and rehab or season-ending surgery?) will not be resolved today. In the meantime, the 49ers are considering all their options at the quarterback position.

The club has released defensive end Louis Holmes from the practice squad. The 49ers are contemplating adding a young quarterback to fill that vacancy on the practice squad. But they also might fill that spot with another defensive lineman.

Martin appears likely to be signed if Smith is placed on IR. It goes to show how much influence Mike Martz has with the 49ers. Because of Martz, the 49ers signed J.T. O'Sullivan and Isaac Bruce. Martz also OK'd the team's decision to draft guard Chilo Rachal over receiver Limas Sweed in the second round. The 49ers had written both names on a card and universally agreed on Rachal.

One e-mailer questioned Martz's reliance on the pass. I don't think you can make any judgments based on this game.

The 49ers ran only 44 offensive plays TOTAL in the game. The split was 24 passes, 20 runs. The second half is when teams generally like to go to the run to wear down defenses, but the 49ers had only 14 offensive plays in the second half. They averaged 5.4 yards on running plays and 7.6 yards on pass plays for the game.

Someone asked for my comment on the mix of players on kick returns. Is it normal to have an LB and a DT in that second line? The answer is yes. Those three guys form the wedge. Those are not little people who are responsible for the wedge. I've seen Tony Wragge back there in the past, but now he's a starter. On Sunday, that three-man line was Billy Bajema, Kentwan Balmer and Takeo Spikes. The line of six players on the 40-yard line (10 yards off the ball) consisted of Shawntae Spencer, Dashon Goldson, Zak Keasey, Jeff Ulbrich, Roderick Green and Donald Strickland. Those guys need to be more athletic to run back down the field, turn and start blocking for the return man.

The 49ers had 72 defensive plays. (If you count the Ray McDonald penalty, there were 73). Amazingly, Justin Smith was on the field for every play. He lined up at seven different positions. This is where he lined up: RDE 29, LDE 17, RDT 17, ROLB 5, LOLB 2, LILB 2, RILB 1.

UPDATE (1:10 p.m.): Martin arrived in San Jose a short time ago and is going for his physical.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
he's going to be a backup cuz of this, you should read da other news on top buddie.....

Quarterback Alex Smith said he does have a broken bone in his shoulder, but he still doesn’t know what his treatment plan will be. Smith is not wearing a sling to protect the injury, but he has been told to stay away from contact or throwing.