Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
all the niner related stuff from peter king

The Niners are kids again.

San Francisco was supposed to be one of those teams that struggled with a new coach, new offensive and defensive systems, new players at new spots ... and no time to adjust with the late resolution of the labor agreement between players and owners. So when new coach Jim Harbaugh saw the early-season schedule (Week 3 at Cincinnati, Week 4 at Philadelphia) he thought: ROAD TRIP!

The Niners beat the Bengals 15 days ago and flew to Northeast Ohio after the game. The team booked a DeBartolo hotel property, a Holiday Inn in Boardman, Ohio, for five nights. On Monday, the offense went to visit sick kids at a children's hospital, the defense to a Boys and Girls Club to interact with kids. They practiced for three days at Youngstown State. They did their walk-through practices in the hotel parking lot. Harbaugh pronounced it an extra week of camp, basically, and told each player to introduce himself to two people he didn't know well every day.

A few of the guys took a hotel van to see The Lion King in 3D. "Not a whole lot to do,'' said defensive lineman Justin Smith. "We were able to focus on the task at hand pretty well.'' Some of the defensive players watched extra film of the Eagles, the next foe, and saw how loosely players carried the balls while running. Sure enough, it was Smith's strip of wideout Jeremy Maclin that clinched the 49ers' 24-23 victory.

The good feelings continued Sunday at home. San Francisco, in something that not even their biggest fans could have expected, routed the Bucs 48-3. Alex Smith continued the kind of play the franchise saw three head coaches ago; in 2005. with a three-touchdown, no-interception game, and the bruising Frank Gore/Kendall Hunter combo at running back ran 29 times for 190 yards.

Who saw this coming: Alex Smith with a 104 rating, a dominating run game, linebackers (Patrick Willis, NaVarro Bowman) versatile enough to stuff the run and play sideline-to-sideline.

"This is the first time since I've been here that we've looked this good,'' said Gore. "Alex Smith is playing great ball, and defenses don't know what to defend.''

That's the idea.
and he got us as 7th
Fine Fifteen
Vernon Davis
Vernon Davis drew a pass interference call on this attempted reception during San Francisco's 45-point win over the Bucs.
Cary Edmondson/US Preswire

1. Green Bay (5-0). As my Friday night Versus-mate Mike Florio points out, if the top two teams in the NFC North keep winning, the Packers and Lions will get to their Thanksgiving High Noon showdown 10-0.

2. Baltimore (3-1). Everything is coming up roses for the Ravens. The bye week allows key corner Jimmy Smith to come back from injury in time to face Houston's Matt Schaub in six days ... with Andre Johnson sidelined with the hamstring problem.

3. New England (4-1). Wes Welker, five catches for 126 yards. I'm beginning to think we just might discuss him in the Hall of Fame room someday. Might.

4. Detroit (4-0). Lions Hit The Big Time quiz: (No cheating, please) Who was the Lions' starting quarterback in their last Monday night game? Clue: The game was played 10 years ago in Pontiac, and the Leos were wiped off the floor of the Silverdome by the Greatest Show on Turf, the Kurt Warner-led Rams, 35-0. (Answer in Ten Things below.)

5. New Orleans (4-1). Latest team to survive the Cam Newton express. Ask anyone on the Saints, and they'll tell you there won't be any easy games against the Panthers as long as the Auburn wunderkind is starting.

6. Buffalo (4-1). At some point, we've got to stop putting asterisks on the Bills' wins. They forced five turnovers Sunday and scored 31 points. I don't care who they were playing. It was another good day at the office for The Little Team That Could.

7. San Francisco (4-1). Never thought I'd have the Niners seventh in the NFL this year. Never thought I'd have them 17th, frankly. To beat a playoff contender the way they did Sunday -- pummeling Tampa Bay into the ground -- means the Niners aren't just overwhelming favorites in a bad division. They're rounding into a dangerous January team.

8. San Diego (4-1). Another argument for avoiding style points. The Chargers are winning early in the season, which they haven't done much under Norv Turner, and they're winning at vexing places on the road, doing so Sunday in Denver.

9. Washington (3-1). On their bye Sunday, the Redskins had a very good day. They watched the Giants (3-2) and Eagles (1-4) lose, and they're alone in first in the NFC East.

10. Oakland (3-2). They've had wins as big as Sunday's (Week 9 last year over Kansas City to move to 5-4, for one), but I can't imagine, with the emotion and the obstacles involved, that there's been a bigger win for this franchise since the Super Bowl season nine years ago.

11. Houston (3-2). Mario Williams gets MRI'd today. Could be a torn pec. There are a couple of different varieties of torn pecs, but either way he'd miss more than a month with a tear.

12. Pittsburgh (3-2). I may have been hasty in my career dismissal of Troy Polamalu; he was a major force in the win over the Titans.

13. Tennessee (3-2). I need to see more signs of life in Chris Johnson than 2.88 yards per carry.

14. New York Jets (2-3). Can't win on the road. Unless you don't want to count games in Baltimore, Oakland and New England.

15. Cincinnati (3-2). At some point we have to stop calling this a fluke. Cincinnati's D has held foes under 300 yards in four of five games.
n. Shaking my head how good the 49ers looked.
9. I think I never thought I would write these words about Week 6 of the 2011 season: San Francisco at Detroit is the game of the week in the National Football League.
^ i called that

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
as of right now

Yardwise.
Niners D total is 13th (25th pass D) (3rd Rush D)

points allowed is 4th (we will be 3rd by tonite, detroit is only 2 points better)
6th in sacks
3rd in INTs

offense

27th ranked offense
+10 TO Margin (best in NFL)
5th in points scored

Feb 12, 2004
lol who would of predicted this?

"At the moment, Smith maintains a 104.1 quarterback rating which is a career best and good enough for 3rd in the NFL behind only Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. And even though he is yet to surpass 1,000 passing yards on the season, Smith has thrown 7 touchdowns to his 1 interception. If his performance remains consistent, he could be looking to finish the season with 25+ touchdowns with four interceptions and playoff berth. "

Jan 12, 2006
What a difference a year makes

Standings through Week 5

2010 NFC West

W-L PF PA H A
Arizona 3-2 88 138 2-0 1-2
Seattle 2-2 75 77 2-0 0-2
St. Louis 2-3 83 96 2-1 0-2
49ers 0-5 76 130 0-2 0-3

2011 NFC West

W-L PF PA H A
49ers 4-1 142 78 2-1 2-0
Seattle 2-3 94 122 1-1 1-2
Arizona 1-4 96 121 1-1 0-3
St. Louis 0-4 46 113 0-3 0-1

Dec 9, 2005
Great blowout win. Not just for the game, but for the momentum we are building.

I was in SD, so I actually missed the game. This guy came through with some thorough highlights, as he has been every week so far.

GO NINERS!

Mar 12, 2010
Tough game ahead the lions play the very formidable and electric throw it to calvin johnson offense it is a true test and measure of how good and how well they have bought into harbaughs system. i am stoked and cant wait for Sunday morning

Jan 12, 2006
October 11, 2011 Niners sign WR Swain to a one-year deal

The 49ers and ex Packers receiver Brett Swain agreed to a one-year deal today, according to Swain's agent. The former seventh-round pick beat out several bigger-named free agents, including T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chris Chambers, to win a spot on the 49ers active roster.

The team is trying to fill Joshua Morgan's spot on the game-day roster. Morgan broke a bone in his lower leg late in Sunday's win over the Buccaneers. Swain (6-0, 200 pounds), meanwhile, was drafted by the Packers in 2008. He mostly played special teams on team deep with talented wide receivers. Swain started one game last year in which he had one catch for six yards. he finished the season with six catches for 72 yards.

Swain's biggest impact came on special teams. He had three tackles in the Packers Super Bowl win and drew praise for his performance in the game. His agent, Bruce Tollner, said Swain, who played collegiately at San Diego State, has been working out in the San Diego area since being released by the Packers last month.

"He's a hard-working, high character kind of guy," Tollner said. "He's a good fit for what coach harbaugh is doing in San Francisco." Swain's experience in Green Bay also means he is familiar with the terminology of Harbaugh's West Coast offense.

It's not yet known how the 49ers will make room for Swain on the 53-man roster. Morgan could be placed on injured reserve. Rookie Colin Jones, who spent the last three weeks on the practice squad, also could be headed back to the practice squad.

Swain wore No. 16 in Green Bay. He's likely to get another number in San Francisco.

-- Matt Barrows

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
07-12-2011,
Alex Smith has too much talent to not amount to something, sometimes the team is what is holding a player back, ever heard of Steve Young, or Jim Plunkett? Both number one picks who sucked dick till they got the right team.
I CALLED IT.