Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 12, 2006
haha just read that, 9ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Id rather have Garrad as a back up over Kaep or Tolzen, not that i wanna cut Tolzen just sayin, atleast Garrad has NFL experience

Jan 12, 2006
gore is a beast and deserves every cent weve givin him

After talking with Jim Harbaugh in the offseason, 49ers running back Frank Gore began to believe that, finally, all that other talk would disappear.

For starters, his family members would stop openly dreaming about him playing for the Colts or Patriots, teams with elite quarterbacks directing visionary offenses.

And the NFL defensive players with whom he trained in Miami would stop telling him about their Gore-centered game plans from that past season: "They would come up to me and say, 'Man, that's all we talked about - you, you, you,' " he said.

And, best of all, Gore never again would line up in the backfield and hear defenders yelling out the 49ers' play before the snap. Gore says that happened in last year's 31-10 loss to the Chiefs and during the ill-fated tenure of offensive coordinator Jim Hostler three years earlier.

"In '07, when we had Jim Hoss," Gore said, shaking his head wearily, "yeah, that was tough."

Gore is the only back in franchise history with four straight 1,000-yard seasons, and he needs 931 yards to become the Niners' all-time leading rusher. Those are particularly impressive feats considering he hasn't been surrounded by a 3,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver or an offense that has ranked higher than 23rd in the league.

"Like I told (Harbaugh), it's been tough out there, man," Gore said. "It's been tough in my career here facing defenses that knew what we were going to do. That's what's made me really think - would another running back be able to do what I did?In the position I was in?"

Gore, 28, is confident he'll be in a far better position this season thanks to the arrival of Harbaugh, the first offensive-minded head coach he has had.

Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman were known for their creative use of formations, motion and personnel groups at Stanford, where the Cardinal scored a school-record 524 points last year.

In contrast with former offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, who announced his intention to run on 60 percent of San Francisco's plays, Harbaugh and Roman have been tight-lipped about their West Coast offense and kept the preseason play-calling vanilla - but what Gore heard from Harbaugh in the offseason had him, in effect, salivating. Gore has said those conversations contributed to his decision to end his contract holdout after four days at the start of training camp.

"Even though football should be simple, you don't have to make it look simple," Gore said. "And the coaches here now don't make it look simple. That's what I like."

And after signing a three-year, $21 million contract extension last week, he can envision playing until he's 31. He believes the creative use of other personnel will add years to his career by taking the bull's-eye off his back.

"We've got all the talent," Gore said. "And I think we have the right coaches now who can use all the talent. ... Now I can see myself playing this last contract out just because of how they get the ball to everybody. People won't be able to just come in here and be like,'They're running power.' "

For his part,Harbaugh appears to be just as taken with Gore, whom he calls one of the NFL's best running backs. Gore is fully recovered from a hairline hip fracture he sustained in November, but he has missed nine games over the past three seasons because of injuries as his 5-foot-9, 217-pound frame pays the price for 1,371 career carries. Still, Harbaugh has said he doesn't anticipate Gore, who excels as a pass-catcher and blocker, coming off the field often.

Beyond his respect for Gore's on-field ability, Harbaugh loves the life story of an athlete who grew up in extreme poverty in Coral Gables, Fla., and overcame a learning disability.

"Frank is a true 49er," Harbaugh said. "I've said that from when I first got here, that's how I thought I would feel about Frank Gore. Now I know how I feel about Frank Gore. The guy is awesome. Somebody should do a movie. Somebody should do 'The Frank Gore Story,' because it's an awesome story."

The respect for Gore runs throughout the organization. His teammates voted him the offensive captain last week.

Gore is acclaimed for his football smarts and eye for talent - former head coach Mike Nolan used to call him to get his evaluations of teammates and players around the NFL. And general manager Trent Baalke and Gore have talked, somewhat jokingly, Gore says, about him filling a similar role in his retirement.

When Gore was sidelined by his hip injury last year, Baalke brought him upstairs to watch video of two Pac-10 running backs. It was an experience that might have given Gore second thoughts about getting into the talent-evaluation business.

"At first, I thought you've just got to watch one game," Gore said. "But, man, I had to watch like five games with one person. I told Trent, 'Man, you should know once you've seen one game or two games of a guy, you should know what type of player he is.' But, no, he told me I had to watch like five games. That's the tough part right there."

Gore was laughing. And with good reason. As a running back with a target on his back, he has experienced the toughest part of football.

But his toughest days, he believes, are finally behind him.

Frank Gore career stats

Sep 15, 2009
"And, best of all, Gore never again would line up in the backfield and hear defenders yelling out the 49ers' play before the snap. Gore says that happened in last year's 31-10 loss to the Chiefs and during the ill-fated tenure of offensive coordinator Jim Hostler three years earlier."

Lol damn that's brutal. Singletery was a fuckin idiot. 3rd and 19?! Oh let's run it up the gut! They will never suspect that!

Jan 12, 2006
"And, best of all, Gore never again would line up in the backfield and hear defenders yelling out the 49ers' play before the snap. Gore says that happened in last year's 31-10 loss to the Chiefs and during the ill-fated tenure of offensive coordinator Jim Hostler three years earlier."

Lol damn that's brutal. Singletery was a fuckin idiot. 3rd and 19?! Oh let's run it up the gut! They will never suspect that!
Yea fuck singletary and that faggot old fart raye!

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Then a Raiders assistant, current 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh reportedly had an "early-round grade" on free agent David Garrard when he came out of East Carolina in the 2002 draft.
Harbaugh also had an early-round grade on Tony Romo, who went undrafted, and "late-round" grades on David Carr (1st overall) and Joey Harrington (No. 3). Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee is just speculating, but seems to believe Garrard will at least be considered by the 49ers. Garrard's agent told ESPN's Adam Schefter Wednesday that he's gotten calls from five unnamed teams.

Jan 12, 2006
2011 NFL TEAM VALUES

#1 Dallas Cowboys

Team Value: $1.85 Billion

#2 Washington Redskins

Team Value: $1.55 Billion

#3 New England Patriots

Team Value: $1.4 Billion

#4 New York Giants

Team Value: $1.3 Billion

#5 New York Jets

Team Value: $1.22 Billion

#6 Houston Texans

Team Value: $1.2 Billion

#7 Philadelphia Eagles

Team Value: $1.16 Billion

#8 Chicago Bears

Team Value: $1.09 Billion

#9 Green Bay Packers

Team Value: $1.08 Billion

#10 Baltimore Ravens

Team Value: $1.08 Billion

#11 Indianapolis Colts

Team Value: $1.05 Billion

# 12 Denver Broncos

Team Value: $1.04 Billion

#13 Pittsburgh Steelers

Team Value: $1.01 Billion

#14 Miami Dolphins

Team Value: $1.01 Billion

#15 Carolina Panthers

Team Value: $1.0 Billion

#16 Seattle Seahawks

Team Value: $997 Million

#17 San Francisco 49ers

Team Value: $990 Million

#18 Kansas City Chiefs

Team Value: $986 Million

#19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Team Value: $981 Million

#20 Cleveland Browns

Team Value: $977 Million

#21 New Orleans Saints

Team Value: $965 Million

#22 Tennessee Titans

Team Value: $964 Million

#23 San Diego Chargers

Team Value: $920 Million

#24 Arizona Cardinals

Team Value: $901 Million

#25 Cincinnati Bengals

Team Value: $875 Million

#26 Detroit Lions

Team Value: $844 Million

#27 Atlanta Falcons

Team Value: $814 Million

#28 Minnesota Vikings

Team Value: $796 Million

#29 Buffalo Bills

Team Value: $792 Million

#30 St Louis Rams

Team Value: $775 Million

#31 Oakland Raiders

Team Value: $761 Million

#32 Jacksonville Jaguars

Team Value: $725 Million

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
49ers KR Ted Ginn reportedly agreed to a significant pay cut to stay on the team's final 53-man roster.
Ginn's base salary was chopped from $2.218 million to $1 million. He can earn another $400,000 in incentives. Ginn originally signed a six-year rookie contract with the Dolphins, but it's believed the final season has voided. He'll be the Niners' fourth receiver this year, and also returns kickoffs and punts.

Dec 12, 2006
49ers secondary will be primary to team's success

To hear 49ers strong safety Donte Whitner tell it, if the team is going to be successful this season, it will be because of the secondary.

"When the secondary is playing really well, it's hard to beat a football team," he said. "We can take points off the board; we can put points on the board. When you have a losing team, usually the secondary isn't playing that well."

The 49ers are Exhibit A. In the past six seasons, San Francisco has ranked no higher than 20th in fewest passing yards allowed.

Last season, it was not so much the yardage given up, but when it happened. Late scoring drives were the 49ers' undoing in losses to the Saints, Falcons and Panthers - one possible reason they revamped the secondary before this season's opener, Sunday against the visiting Seahawks.

Gone are cornerback Nate Clements and strong safety Michael Lewis, both starters a year ago. Arrived are former Redskins cornerback Carlos Rogers and Whitner, a former Bill who will be at the center of the defensive play calling.

Even though linebacker Patrick Willis will get the call from defensive coordinator Vic Fangio before every play through a radio in his helmet, the authoritative Whitner will be the one yelling out most of the adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

"With his experience, his knowledge, he's going to bring a lot not only to the secondary but to the linebackers, the fronts," Rogers said of Whitner. "He's got a good eye in the box in getting everybody lined up."

Whitner feels freed from what many consider NFL Siberia - Buffalo. Not only was Whitner with a losing team, but also he was typically stuck defending the deepest part of the field. By contrast, the 49ers are going to employ the cagey Whitner all over the place.

Rogers also feels like a new man after six seasons in Washington.

"I was ready to get out of there two years ago," Rogers said.

Because of a knee injury to free safety Dashon Goldson and the fact that starting right cornerback Shawntae Spencer missed all but two days of training camp with a strained hamstring, the 49ers will sport an entirely new secondary from the one that started last year's opener. Tarell Brown is expected to take over for Spencer and another offseason signee, Madieu Williams, probably will replace Goldson.

The foursome will be presented with a huge Seahawks receiving corps. With 6-foot-4, 202-pound Sidney Rice likely out with a shoulder injury, the secondary will contend with 6-5, 235-pound Mike Williams, 6-1, 204-pound Ben Obomanu and possibly 6-6, 216-pound rookie Kris Durham.

No matter what the challenge, Whitner believes communication will be instrumental to casting a net over the Seahawks' receivers. He had one simple edict for this game and the rest of the season.

"We want to be strong on the back end," he said.

New-look secondary

The 49ers' starting defensive backfield for the season opener last year and this year:

Pos.

LCB

Shawntae Spencer

Carlos Rogers

RCB

Nate Clements

Tarell Brown

SS

Michael Lewis

Donte Whitner

FS

Dashon Goldson

Madieu Williams

Kevin Lynch writes for the Niner Insider blog on SFGate.com. Send comments to [email protected].

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/09/SP9I1L1S8I.DTL#ixzz1XZbYlSYt

Mar 12, 2010
I was at the game yesterday it was awesome. ginn wants to earn his incentives i guess because he was taking those kicks to the house and nothing was stopping him. the roar of the crowd was deafing