Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2006
I dunno, but you seem distraught over something enough to be up in our news thread when your own team has looked horrible this preseason. Oh, I think I see why you mad now.
I come here for the comedy value.

If you really think preseson is the way to guage a team you are truly mistaken buddy.

When we unleash our wrath on the NFL this year, like I have been telling yall all summer, don't forget who told you first....

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

^^^ wrath huh? I'm not a raider hater or dislike the raiders...Only time I go against em is when they playing the niners and I can see them winning 8 or 9 games this year but unleash the wrath on the NFL?

Mar 10, 2007
Damn, they put the Seahawks, Lions, and Redskins on but not the Raiders.... bwahahahaha.

Even though I think the Lions are gonna do good this year, but you'd have to figure, because of their recent history, and lack of history.. but damn lol..

Dec 4, 2006
I come here for the comedy value.

If you really think preseson is the way to guage a team you are truly mistaken buddy.

When we unleash our wrath on the NFL this year, like I have been telling yall all summer, don't forget who told you first....
there's enough of comedy value in the raiders season thread....

y'all super delusional though ..

Jun 18, 2005
^^^ wrath huh? I'm not a raider hater or dislike the raiders...Only time I go against em is when they playing the niners and I can see them winning 8 or 9 games this year but unleash the wrath on the NFL?
Mayb he thinks it'll happen thru Madden 12 breh???

Jan 12, 2006
The Niners just announced all 26 of their cuts. They are:

RB Xavier Omon, G Tony Wragge, WR Ronald Johnson, QB Josh McCown, QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, C Chase Beeler, CB Phillip Adams, CB Phillip Davis, WR Lance Long, WR Chris Hogan, WR Joe Hastings, DT Briak Bulcke, FB Jack Corcoran, T Derek Hall, LB Alex Joseph, TE Nate Lawrie, TE Konrad Reuland, CB Cory Nelms, LB Kenny Rowe, NT Sealver Siliga, LB Monte Simmons, FS Curtis Taylor, S Chris Maragos, DB Anthony West, T Kenny Wiggins, and WR Dominique Zeigler.

The team also placed injured TE Nate Byham on IR.

So, the 49ers carry only two tight ends so far. They also carry two full backs. Keep in mind though, roster moves will be happening all weekend.

Here’s what the Niners 53-man roster looks like currently:

QB: Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick

RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon

FB: Moran Norris, Bruce Miller

OL: Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Chilo Rachal, Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder, Alex Boone, Daniel Kilgore, Mike Person

WR: Michael Crabtree, Braylon Edwards, Kyle Williams, Joshua Morgan, Ted Ginn Jr.

TE: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker

DL: Ray McDonald, Isaac Sopoaga, Justin Smith, Ricky Jean-Francois, Ian Williams, Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu

LB: Ahmad Brooks, NaVorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Antwan Applewhite, Larry Grant, Keaton Kristic, Blake Costanzo, Parys Haralson

CB: Carlos Rogers, Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver

S: Donte Whitner, Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith, Madieu Williams, C.J. Spillman, Colin Jones

K: David Akers

P: Andy Lee

LS: Brian Jennings

The practice squad has not been officially released yet, but when it is I’ll pass that along to you.

The Niners presumably will look to sign another quarterback and another tight end over the weekend, and if they do, some more players could get cut.

Here are the new bubble guys to monitor throughout the weekend: Tukuafu, Kristick, C. Jones.

Follow me on twitter @grantcohn

Jan 12, 2006
The players have spoken: Willis, Gore are team captains

Frank Gore and Patrick Willis will serve as team captains for the 49ers this year, coach Jim Harbaugh announced on a conference call. In two previous seasons, Mike Singletary picked six captains, and last year appointed starting quarterback Alex Smith one of them.

This year, Harbaugh put it to a player vote, and the winners were Willis, who has made the Pro Bowl in each of his previous three seasons, and Gore, who signed a three-year contract extension earlier this week. That Gore was voted to the offensive captaincy speaks to his popularity in the locker room and to the importance of the 49ers taking care of him with a contract extension. It also is notable after Smith organized and ran all of the player practices during the lockout.

In other news, Harbaugh said he anticipated that a third quarterback would be added in coming days but that that quarterback could be a practice-squad player. He said he was confident in rookie Colin Kaepernick if the team does in fact head into the regular season with just two quarterbacks. "Like any team that only carries two quarterbacks at this time, you're rolling the dice somewhat," he said. "We understand that."

Harbaugh also said that Kendall Hunter was indeed ahead of Anthony Dixon on the running-back depth chart but that the competition was an ongoing process. The team has just two quarterbacks and two tight ends. Fullback Bruce Miller, however, does a lot of the same things a third tight end would do, thus minimizing somewhat the 49ers' need to bring in a third tight end. "He's definitely going to be a swing guy in that regard for us, fullback (and) tight end," Harbaugh said. Miller also is valuable on special teams

Harbaugh said that he got input from all of his assistants but that he and general manager Trent Baalke made the final decisions. The 49ers had bonus workouts today and will have another Tuesday before slipping into their normal regular-season practice patterns.

-- Matt Barrows

Jan 12, 2006
The Niners just announced all 26 of their cuts. They are:

RB Xavier Omon, G Tony Wragge, WR Ronald Johnson, QB Josh McCown, QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, C Chase Beeler, CB Phillip Adams, CB Phillip Davis, WR Lance Long, WR Chris Hogan, WR Joe Hastings, DT Briak Bulcke, FB Jack Corcoran, T Derek Hall, LB Alex Joseph, TE Nate Lawrie, TE Konrad Reuland, CB Cory Nelms, LB Kenny Rowe, NT Sealver Siliga, LB Monte Simmons, FS Curtis Taylor, S Chris Maragos, DB Anthony West, T Kenny Wiggins, and WR Dominique Zeigler.

The team also placed injured TE Nate Byham on IR.

So, the 49ers carry only two tight ends so far. They also carry two full backs. Keep in mind though, roster moves will be happening all weekend.

Here’s what the Niners 53-man roster looks like currently:

QB: Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick

RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon

FB: Moran Norris, Bruce Miller

OL: Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Chilo Rachal, Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder, Alex Boone, Daniel Kilgore, Mike Person

WR: Michael Crabtree, Braylon Edwards, Kyle Williams, Joshua Morgan, Ted Ginn Jr.

TE: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker

DL: Ray McDonald, Isaac Sopoaga, Justin Smith, Ricky Jean-Francois, Ian Williams, Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu

LB: Ahmad Brooks, NaVorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Antwan Applewhite, Larry Grant, Keaton Kristic, Blake Costanzo, Parys Haralson

CB: Carlos Rogers, Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver

S: Donte Whitner, Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith, Madieu Williams, C.J. Spillman, Colin Jones

K: David Akers

P: Andy Lee

LS: Brian Jennings

The practice squad has not been officially released yet, but when it is I’ll pass that along to you.

The Niners presumably will look to sign another quarterback and another tight end over the weekend, and if they do, some more players could get cut.

Here are the new bubble guys to monitor throughout the weekend: Tukuafu, Kristick, C. Jones.

Follow me on twitter @grantcohn

Do you guys disagree with any of the cuts? I'm just glad we kept Dobbs and got rid of that bum Ziegler.