MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
Understand wut ur sayin but my point is they have 4 cards in a row that are stacced to the ceiling...ppl don't have that kind of money 2 buy every month, why not put both main cards together? U know? That'll be dope as fucc! Either way I'm most likely buyin em.lol...I know that's how they make their money I'm jus sayin tho, lookin foward 2 all future cards like always n it starts next month!

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
oh, yeah I gotcha. Well their ultimate goal is to have weekly fights on cable, like Friday Night Fights. But they're done dealing with Spike and new to Versus and G4 so they don't have the pull to program that yet. So until they get a big tv deal they're just going to run a couple PPVs a month with the occasional fight night thrown in on cable. Hopefully they can get weekly fights by the time they bring in everyone from Strikeforce

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
"DREAM: Japan GP Final" results: Takaya defends belt, Tokoro wins tourney

Hiroyuki Takaya's first successful title defense is in the books.

DREAM's featherweight champion successfully defended his title with a closely contested split-decision victory over challenger Kazuyuki Miyata at Saturday's "DREAM: Japan GP Final" event.

The event, which also featured the finale of the yearlong Japan bantamweight grand prix, took place at Tokyo's Ariake Coliseum.

The show didn't air live in North America.

Takaya (16-9-1 MMA, 7-2 DREAM), who won the title from Bibiano Fernandes back in December, and Miyata (11-8 MMA, 4-2 DREAM), who earned the title shot on the heels of a six-fight win streak, proved evenly matched standing and on the mat. While the bout could have gone either way, Takaya, who implemented strong power strikes and solid takedown defense, ultimately got the judges' nod.

With the main-event victory, Takaya successfully rebounds from a split-decision defeat to Roberto Peralta in his April debut with Strikeforce. It's his only defeat in his past five fights.

Meanwhile, in the yearlong Japan bantamweight tournament, Hideo Tokoro (30-23-1 MMA, 8-6 DREAM) edged fellow finalist Masakazu Imanari (23-9-2 MMA, 2-2 DREAM) to win the eight-man grand prix.

In the closely contested finale, and as part of an action-light first round, Imanari continually looked to take the fight to the guard after striking exchanges. Tokoro, though, largely avoided the trouble and won the exchanges, especially on the mat.

In round two, though, Imanari's attempts to pull guard became more creative, and he attempted a handful of submissions. But Tokoro survived and landed a few solid ground shots throughout the round.

All together, it was enough for Tokoro to get the close unanimous-decision victory.

Both fighters now are expected to compete in a worldwide bantamweight tournament planned to begin in the next six month. In addition to finalists Imanari and Tokoro, Kenji Osawa (18-10-2 MMA, 3-1 DREAM), a former WEC fighter, secured his position in the upcoming-tournament field with a first-round TKO of Keisuke Fujiwara (11-4-4 MMA, 0-3 DREAM) in a Japan tournament third-place fight.

In a light-heavyweight title fight, champion Gegard Mousasi (31-3-2 MMA, 9-0 DREAM) made quick work of 2004 Olympic judoka Hiroshi Izumi (4-2 MMA, 2-1 DREAM). Mousasi kept the edge in the standup fight and eventually dropped his opponent with a right hook. A series of follow-up shots brought about the TKO stoppage in a little more than three minutes.

In a welterweight non-title fight, champ Marius Zaromskis (15-6 MMA, 5-0 DREAM) easily handled Eiji Ishikawa (22-17-2 MMA, 0-1 DREAM) to keep his perfect DREAM record intact. Zaromskis stuffed takedowns and rained down blows from all angles for a lopsided unanimous-decision victory.

In other action, Tatsuya Kawajiri (28-7-2 MMA, 8-1 DREAM) fought off a guillotine choke and then used a sustained ground attack to batter fellow lightweight Drew Fickett (41-15 MMA, 0-1 DREAM) en route to a first-round TKO victory. Additionally, Tatsuya Mizuno (9-7 MMA, 2-3 DREAM) won a slugfest with Trevor Prangley (23-8-1 MMA, 0-1 DREAM) after connecting with a vicious first-round knee to the South African's liver.

OFFICIAL RESULTS
Champ Hiroyuki Takaya def. Kazuyuki Miyata via split decision (to retain featherweight title)
Hideo Tokoro def. Masakazu Imanari via unanimous decision (Japan bantamweight-tourney finale)
Champ Gegard Mousasi def. Hiroshi Izumi via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 3:28 (to retain light-heavyweight title) Herbertson said it was brutal. Izumi's nose got smashed and his teeth knocked out.
Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Drew Fickett via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 4:41
Kenji Osawa def. Keisuke Fujiwara via unanimous decision (Japan bantamweight-tourney third-place fight)
Tatsuya Mizuno def. Trevor Prangley via KO (knee strike) - Round 1, 4:41
Champ Marius Zaromskis def. Eiji Ishikawa via unanimous decision (welterweight non-title fight)
Eiji Mitsuoka def. Bruno Carvalho via unanimous decision

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Chris Leben vs. Mark Munoz headlines UFC 138 in Birmingham, England

Middleweights Chris Leben (26-7 MMA, 12-6 UFC) and Mark Munoz (11-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) will headline a Spike TV-televised UFC 138 event.

As MMAjunkie.com first reported earlier today, the event takes place Nov. 5 at the 16,000-seat LG Arena at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England.

UFC officials since have confirmed the event details and main event, which airs via same-day delay on the UFC's longtime cable partner.

Leben vs. Munoz is expected to be the UFC's first five-round non-title fight.

With the addition, the UFC's Nov. 19 event (which is headlined by heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos) will be UFC 139, rather than UFC 138.

The Nov. 5 event, initially believed to be UFC Fight Night 25, instead will be a traditionally numbered UFC show. The UFC hasn't host a show in the U.K. since October 2010. The event, UFC 120, took place in London and aired via same-day delay on Spike TV.

Leben looks to build off a 27-second knockout of Wanderlei Silva earlier this month at UFC 132. It was the longtime UFC fighter's fourth win in five fights, which also included victories over Yoshihiro Akiyama and Aaron Simpson. The lone defeat came to Brian Stann.

Munoz, meanwhile, has moved into title contention on the strength of a three-fight win streak and six victories in his past seven fights. His current run includes decision victories over Simpson and Demaian Maia and a knockout of C.B. Dollaway.

The matchup pits striker vs. ground fighter with Leben (who owns 14 career knockouts) and Munoz (an NCAA Division I national wrestling champion). In recent fights, though, Munoz has become much more comfortable on his feet.

To date, the UFC has hosted just one show in Birmingham. UFC 89, which took place at National Indoor Arena in October 2008, drew 9,515 attendees and featured a headliner between Michael Bisping and Leben. The tape-delayed Spike TV broadcast peaked with 3.4 million viewers and averaged 2.6 million.

Feb 10, 2006
^^to me this fight makes no sense at all, entertaining, but munoz is no way near the rankings as leben iz...they should give him the winner of vitor n akiyama imo n hoping it wuz gona be vitor, oh well still gona be entertaing n free on spike plus itz still a long wayz n the way these fighters are gettin hurt these dayz ain't no telling wutz gona be the final matchup

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Brian Bowles draws Urijah Faber at November's UFC 139 event

Former WEC bantamweight champ Brian Bowles (10-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) did not get the UFC title shot he had hoped for, but he did get a fight that will certainly leave him a No. 1 contender with a win.

UFC officials announced late Thursday night that Bowles will next face former WEC featherweight champ Urijah Faber (25-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at UFC 139.

Although not officially announced, UFC 139 is expected to take place Nov. 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The event is expected to feature a heavyweight title fight between champ Cain Velasquez and top contender Junior Dos Santos.

Bowles vs. Cruz is expected to feature on the evening's main card.

"Before a possible trilogy can be considered between Urijah Faber and his rival, champion Dominick Cruz, he will take on one of the division's truly elite fighters, former bantamweight champion Brian Bowles," UFC president Dana White stated. "A win over Faber would be massive for Bowles' bid to challenge for the belt that was once his. The stakes are high and the fight will be intense."

Bowles earned the WEC's 135-pound title with a shocking knockout of then-champ Miguel Torres at 2009's WEC 42 event. However, in his first attempt to defend the title, Bowles surrendered his belt to Cruz. It was Bowles' final WEC appearance after lingering injuries left him sidelined for nearly one year. However, he's since bounced back with UFC victories over Takeya Mizugaki and Damacio Page.

Faber, the longtime poster boy of the WEC, was narrowly edged out via decision by Cruz at July's UFC 132 event. Some fans called for an immediate rematch and the completion of a trilogy that began in March 2007. However, Faber will instead get his second crack at a first win in the UFC's octagon.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Champ Dominick Cruz defends title against Demetrious Johnson at UFC on Versus 6

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz (18-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has "Mighty Mouse" on the horizon.

MMAjunkie.com has confirmed that Cruz will take on top contender Demetrious Johnson (10-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at October's UFC on Versus 6 event. NBCSports.com first reported the matchup.

UFC on Versus 6 takes place Oct. 1 at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. The evening's main card airs on Versus.

Cruz vs. Johnson is expected to take the headlining slot in the first-ever UFC title defense to broadcast on Versus.

Cruz carries and impressive nine-fight winning streak into the contest. The Alliance MMA product recently avenged his lone career loss by earning a decision win over Urijah Faber in the main event of UFC 132 in both fighters' UFC debut. Cruz made the transition to the octagon after earning seven-consecutive wins in the WEC. The run saw him claim 135-pound gold with a March 2010 win over Brian Bowles and also net two successful defenses of the title with decision wins over Scott Jorgensen and Joseph Benavidez.

The diminutive Johnson, a fighter most MMA pundits expected to drop to 125 pounds the moment the UFC introduces the long-rumored flyweight class, will now look to become just the second-ever champion in the UFC's bantamweight division. The 24-year-old debuted for the now-shuttered WEC with a high-paced decision loss to Brad Pickett but has since rattled off four-straight wins. The first two, victories over Damacio Page and Nick Pace, each took place in the WEC, and decision wins over Miguel Torres and Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto were earned in the UFC's octagon.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Strikeforce Challengers 17 is on Showtime tonight. Rubber match between Bowling and Voelker, plus OSP and Sarah Kaufman. Should be decent.

MAIN CARD
Roger Bowling vs. Bobby Voelker
Devin Cole vs. Shawn Jordan
Joe Cason vs. Ovince St-Preux
Liz Carmouche vs. Sarah Kaufman
Adlan Amagov vs. Ron Stallings
PRELIMINARY CARD
T.J. Cook vs. Lionel Lanham
Ben Lagman vs. Anthony Smith
Bill Cooper vs. Maka Watson
Sterling Ford vs. Brian McLaughlin

Also Legacy Fighting Championship 7 is live on HDNet.

MAIN CARD
Carlo Prater vs. Cameron Dollar
Antonio Flores vs. Pete Spratt
Champ Daniel Pineda vs. Frank Gomez - for featherweight title
Chad Robichaux vs. Jonathan Mackles
Rey Trujillo vs. Jesus Rivera
Justin Reiswerg vs. Marc Ramirez
PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)
Jermaine Anugwom vs. Larry Crowe
David Armas vs. Shelby Sheehan
Alex Black vs. Jared Chaffee
Tony Orozco vs. David McClung

Dec 19, 2006
Strikeforce Challengers: Bowling vs Voelker 3 is on 2night on Showtime

MAIN CARD

Roger Bowling vs. Bobby Voelker
Shawn Jordan vs. Devin Cole
Joe Cason vs. Ovince St-Preux
Liz Carmouche vs. Sarah Kaufman
Adlan Amagov vs. Ron Stallings

PRELIMINARY CARD

T.J. Cook vs. Lionel Lanham
Ben Lagman vs. Louis Taylor
Bill Cooper vs. Maka Watson
Sterling Ford vs. Brian McLaughlin

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Champ Dominick Cruz defends title against Demetrious Johnson at UFC on Versus 6

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz (18-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has "Mighty Mouse" on the horizon.

MMAjunkie.com has confirmed that Cruz will take on top contender Demetrious Johnson (10-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at October's UFC on Versus 6 event. NBCSports.com first reported the matchup.

UFC on Versus 6 takes place Oct. 1 at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. The evening's main card airs on Versus.

Cruz vs. Johnson is expected to take the headlining slot in the first-ever UFC title defense to broadcast on Versus.

Cruz carries and impressive nine-fight winning streak into the contest. The Alliance MMA product recently avenged his lone career loss by earning a decision win over Urijah Faber in the main event of UFC 132 in both fighters' UFC debut. Cruz made the transition to the octagon after earning seven-consecutive wins in the WEC. The run saw him claim 135-pound gold with a March 2010 win over Brian Bowles and also net two successful defenses of the title with decision wins over Scott Jorgensen and Joseph Benavidez.

The diminutive Johnson, a fighter most MMA pundits expected to drop to 125 pounds the moment the UFC introduces the long-rumored flyweight class, will now look to become just the second-ever champion in the UFC's bantamweight division. The 24-year-old debuted for the now-shuttered WEC with a high-paced decision loss to Brad Pickett but has since rattled off four-straight wins. The first two, victories over Damacio Page and Nick Pace, each took place in the WEC, and decision wins over Miguel Torres and Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto were earned in the UFC's octagon.

lol damn the title being defended on VS? That blows, I guess they had no faith in Cruz vs. Mighty Mouse to draw, even in a Co-Main Event status.

Feb 10, 2006
As far as the leben n munoz fight, I made that comment about munoz cuz to me his competion isn't near the competion leben has faced, I say to me cuz that's wut I feel...leben has been puttin out better fights as long as I can remember, win or lose...leben just disposed a future hall of famer in less than 30 seconds, to me that's more impressive than any munoz fight, and I know he's on a winning streak but competion wise not near the crippler

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
I'm ok with it being on VS too from a personal standpoint of getting a good fight for free, but how much must that suck for the fighters? Imagine being in a world title fight in the Main Event of a UFC show and making $20,000? Both Cruz and Mighty Mouse and still under their WEC deals and there's no PPV revenue bonuses to be had for the Main Event and Co-Main Event fighters. Even the fight of the night, ko of the night, and sub of the night is usually cut in half for the TV fights compared to the PPV fights. Hopefully Dana gets check book friendly if they put on a good fight, i've heard of him pulling out his personal checkbook in the lockerroom if he's impressed.

Dec 30, 2003
As far as the leben n munoz fight, I made that comment about munoz cuz to me his competion isn't near the competion leben has faced, I say to me cuz that's wut I feel...leben has been puttin out better fights as long as I can remember, win or lose...leben just disposed a future hall of famer in less than 30 seconds, to me that's more impressive than any munoz fight, and I know he's on a winning streak but competion wise not near the crippler
yea he also let kalib starnes beat him... and jake rosholt... Leben has had his share of slip ups...

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Pat Barry vs. Stefan Struve added to UFC on Versus 6 lineup

The UFC's tallest heavyweight has a date with the promotion's shortest one.

UFC officials today announced that verbal agreements are in place for 6-foot-11 Stefan Struve (21-5 MMA, 5-3 UFC) to meet 5-foot-11 Pat Barry (6-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at UFC on Versus 6.

Struve vs. Barry likely will be part of the broadcast.

As officials previously announced, UFC on Versus 6 features a rare title fight on free TV; bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz puts his belt on the line against fast-rising Demetrious Johnson.

Struve fights for the first time since a UFC 130 knockout loss to Travis Browne. The first-round loss came after the well-rounded Dutch fighter's string of five wins in six fights, which included stoppage victories over the likes of Sean McCorkle, Christian Morecraft and Chase Gormley. His only other UFC losses have come to No. 1 heavyweight contender Junior Dos Santos and "The Ultimate Fighter 10" champion Roy Nelson.

Barry, meanwhile, fights for the first time since a stunning loss to Cheick Kongo in the UFC on Versus 4 headliner. Barry thoroughly battered his towering opponent and nearly prompted a TKO stoppage on multiple occasions in the June fight. But a dazed and wobbly Kongo connected on two stiff rights in the first round to earn the unthinkable comeback victory.

Barry now has alternated between wins and losses for his entire six-fight UFC career.

The latest UFC on Versus 6 card now includes:
Champ Dominick Cruz vs. Demetrious Johnson (for bantamweight title)
Charlie Brenneman vs. Anthony Johnson
Pat Barry vs. Stefan Struve
Mac Danzig vs. Matt Wiman
Michael Johnson vs. Paul Sass