MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 7, 2004
i was reading that jake shields vs jake ellenberger is likely for the san jo card too... hope we get 2 good cards back to back tho... we'll see
Nah the Shields fight is going to be a fight night in New Orleans

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24198/jak...or-ufc-fight-night-25-battle-on-the-bayou.mma

Two welterweight Jakes are expected to square off as expected.

Onetime title challenger Jake Shields (26-5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is set to face the fast-rising Jake Ellenberger (25-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) at "UFC Fight Night 25," which takes place Sept. 17 at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans. The event's main card airs on Spike TV.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) earlier this week reported the possibility of the matchup, and UFC officials today confirmed it as the headliner of the fall event.

Despite it's headliner status, MMAjunkie.com has learned from sources close to the fighters that the contest will likely not be the UFC's historic first five-round, non-title affair and will instead be booked as a three-round contest.

Following a hard-fought split-decision loss to Carlos Condit in September 2009, Ellenberger has since rattled off four-straight wins in the octagon. His most recent victory was an emphatic first-round knockout of Sean Pierson at April's record-breaking UFC 129 event.

Ellenberger also counts UFC wins over Carlos Eduardo Rocha, John Howard and Mike Pyle. Ellenberger is 8-1 in his past nine overall contests.

Meanwhile, Shields looks to bounce back from a unanimous-decision loss to Georges St-Pierre, also at April's UFC 129 event. The loss snapped a 15-fight win streak that dated back to November 2005

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Arlovski Headlines Aug. 27 ProElite Event in Hawaii

Late this summer, Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski looks to prove he's not all bark and no bite.

Leo Khorlinsky, the former UFC heavyweight champion's manager, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter will headline the first offering of the newly revamped ProElite on Aug. 27 at Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu. Broadcast plans for the event have yet to be announced.

Khorlinsky said a tentative opponent is in place for the late summer show, though bout agreements have yet to be signed. Arlovski (15-9) begins training early next week at Greg Jackson's academy in Albuquerque, N.M.

Arlovski returns to action after a brutal knockout loss to Sergei Kharitonov this past February in the quarterfinals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. It was his fourth consecutive loss since a knockout of Roy Nelson in October 2008, which took place under the banner of EliteXC, the fight promotion arm of ProElite before the company underwent a major restructuring amid heavy financial losses.

Stratus Media Group completed its acquisition of ProElite this past month and announced its intention to hold MMA events.

According to recent reports, a middleweight matchup between UFC vet Drew McFedries and Kala Hose is in the works for the Aug. 27 event, as is a possible deal with recent UFC release and "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner Kendall Grove.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported the inclusions this past week, as well as a women's bout pitting former Olympic wrestler Sara McCann against Raquel Pa'aluhi and a bout between former University of Hawaii linebacker Jake Heun against Mark Ellis.

ProElite Vice President of Fight Operations T. Jay Thompson was not available for comment.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
if this actually happens Sonnen is my hero.

Rumor: Machida vs. Sonnen Likely For Fall Bout

A fight between Chael Sonnen and Lyoto Machida is all but a done deal.

Sources close to the situation tell Fighters Only that Sonnen will be making his UFC return at light-heavyweight and is almost certain to face the Brazilian former champion.

The fight is apparently being considered for UFC 136, which takes place on October 8th in Houston, Texas. No fights have been announced for that card but Jose Aldo and Kenny Florian are expected to headline.

Machida is a fighter that Sonnen has long had his eye on, and not just because he is a training partner and friend of Sonnen’s favourite smack-talk target Anderson Silva.

Sonnen made comments at the weekend about possibly fighting Machida when he returns to action, and has been taking potshots at him via Twitter (although that is nothing new).

The latest - “Of course your sport should be taken seriously. Everybody would like to be able to workout in their bathrobe” - is a dig at Machida’s background in Shotokan Karate.

He also slammed the recent spate of videos depicting Black House fighters training with Steven Segal. “I don't seek training advice from actors for the same reason I don't seek health advice from strippers.”

Today Machida told Brazilian website Tatame that he will sign for the fight immediately if Sonnen really wants it, but sources say that verbal agreements are already in place at this point.

More news as we get it.

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006
Brett Rogers Arrested for Choking and Punching Wife

Tough-to-read news from the world of mixed martial arts today as Minnesota fighter Brett Rogers is facing several charges of domestic assault after police say he violently attacked his wife Wednesday.

Rogers, 30, has been charged with third-degree-assault, domestic assault by strangulation, a pattern of stalking conduct; all felonies. He was also charged with the endangerment of a child.

Official police reports indicate that officers were dispatched to the Rogers home in Apple Valley, MN at approximately 12:35am on Wednesday evening, when a caller reported hearing yelling, a female screaming, and glass being broken from a neighbor’s home.

Rogers stated to police that he had argued with his wife and that she hit him during the argument, so he hit her back. Rogers had no visible injuries on his body. The report also adds that his breath smelled of alcohol and that he admitted to consuming alcohol that evening.

A neighbor reported that he had looked out his window and saw Rogers standing over his wife, repeatedly punching her in the head and face as she lay on the ground. Another neighbor stated that he saw her with blood “streaming from her face and mouth” with what looked to be a missing tooth.

Rogers’ nine-year old daughter saw the incident unfold and yelled at her father to stop. Rogers’ ten-year old daughter was also present and witnessed the attack, admitting that she had seen her father strike her mother in the past. She also reported that her father had struck the children within the last two years.

Rogers’ wife, T.R., was located by officers walking by a nearby school with injuries on her face that included a golf ball-sized bump above her left eyebrow, injuries to her ears and jaw, a missing tooth and numerous wounds to her neck and back.

She repeatedly denied that she was assaulted and said that she had simply fallen on the ground.

Paramedics were called immediately due to what were described as serious injuries to her head. She was transported to a nearby hospital and released the following afternoon.

Both children told a neighbor whom they had been staying with that they were afraid to go home and that their father had “choked” them in the past.

An officer attempted to speak with T.R. on Thursday, but she refused, telling him that the assault was her fault.

Rogers made his first court appearance on Thursday. His bail was set in the amount of $100,000,with conditions. His next court appearance is July 1.

Two words, roid rage!!!!

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Sources: Chael Sonnen vs. Lyoto Machida not on UFC's fall docket

A fight between onetime middleweight challenger Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) and former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (17-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) is not happening.

Sources close to the promotion today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fight was briefly entertained but did not become a reality after being heavily rumored for the fall, possibly at UFC 136.

Both fighters currently are awaiting their next bookings, the sources said.

Sonnen was freed to fight exactly one week ago after serving a suspension handed down this past May by the California State Athletic Commission. The commission issued an indefinite suspension after determining that the fighter had given inconsistent statements about his testosterone-replacement therapy this past December in an appeal of a one-year suspension issued in the wake of his UFC 117 loss to Anderson Silva (which was later halved to six months). The commission also cited his conviction earlier this year on one felony charge of money laundering when handing down the suspension.

According to CSAC Executive Director George Dodd, Sonnen must appear before the commission if he wants to be licensed again. If he chooses to do so, the commission is likely to ask him to show rehabilitation from his previous misdeeds.

Machida, meanwhile, is two months removed from a triumphant win over Randy Couture at UFC 129. In a highlight-reel performance, he stopped Couture with a leaping front kick that knocked the UFC Hall of Famer silly (and dislodged a few of Couture's teeth).

It was the second such kick seen in the octagon since Machida teammate Anderson Silva, the UFC's reigning middleweight champion, knocked out Vitor Belfort with the strike at UFC 126. Like Silva, Machida thanked aging martial-arts movie star Steven Seagal for his tutelage on the technique, which earned him a "Knockout of the Night" bonus at the gate-buster event.

The win also reversed a slide for Machida following losses to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua – which robbed him of his title – and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Chael can still be my hero if he trolls the US military

Sonnen-Stann Likely For UFC 136

Of all the targets at which Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) has aimed, the toughest one may be ahead.

Not long after a bout with Lyoto Machida was nixed, sources today told MMAjunkie.com that the onetime middleweight contender will stay in his division and is targeted for a meeting with Brian Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at UFC 136, which takes place Oct. 8 at Toyota Center in Houston.

Verbal agreements are in place for the bout, though contracts haven't been signed.

Sonnen previously has taken aim at Machida on Twitter, which has led to intense rumors about a fall fight between the two. That matchup, however, was shot down this morning, as MMAjunkie.com reported.

Sonnen was freed to fight exactly one week ago after serving a suspension handed down this past May by the California State Athletic Commission. The commission issued an indefinite suspension after determining that the fighter had given inconsistent statements about his testosterone-replacement therapy this past December in an appeal of a one-year suspension that was issued in the wake of his UFC 117 loss to Anderson Silva (which was later halved to six months). The commission also cited his conviction earlier this year on one felony charge of money laundering when handing down the suspension.

It is unknown whether Sonnen will apply for a therapeutic-use exemption with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which will oversee the Oct. 8 event.

Stann, meanwhile, is coming off an impressive TKO victory over former World Victory Road/Sengoku champion Jorge Santiago at UFC 130. Prior to that, he stopped Chris Leben with strikes at UFC 125. The fast-rising contender and former WEC champ has now won five of his past six fights, and the lone defeat came to top contender Phil Davis before Stann's move down from light heavyweight.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Hard 2 say who's gona win this fight...ring rust from chael tho, but stann has not faced sum1 like chael yet tho...I'll take stann by ud, gut feelin is tellin me by ko...

Dec 30, 2003

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
that's the best interview I've ever seen. Sonnen's my favorite fighter now.

"Wanderlei, you're an immigrant from Brazil, I am a gangster from America. Are you sure you want to play that game with me? Listen Wanderlei, I will pull a home invasion on you. I will cut the power to your house and the next thing you hear will be me climbing up your stairs in a pair of night vision goggles I bought in the back of Soldier of Fortune magazine. I'll pick the lock to the master bedroom door, *CH-CH* take a picture of you in bed with the Nogueira brothers working on your "jiu jitsu". I'll take said photograph, post it at www.dorksfrombrazil.com- Password: not required. Username: not required. That, Wanderlei, is how you threaten somebody. Dummy."