MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Iron Sharpens Iron: Georges St Pierre Training BJJ in Brazil

started training immediately the next day, because that's the purpose of my trip - training. The classes at Gracie Barra Academy were under the supervision of Jefferson, a former world champion in BJJ, who is an excellent instructor, by the way. Jefferson taught me a lot of new tricks and he helped me change a lot of bad habits that I was doing in the past on the ground. It was my 2nd time at Gracie Barra & my 2nd visit to Brazil - this time I came alone with no friends from Canada - it was actually very good for my Portugese because I was forced to speak the language of the country. I was training also with my friend Gustavo Machado and Aloiso Barros, who is supposed to fight 9/13 in Montreal. I also had the chance one of my friends from my last trip to Brazil, Master Roberto Leiton, who came from a background of luta livre. Luta Livre is a martial art similar to jiu jitsu, but without the gi/kimono. I met with Mr. Leiton one night and for a couple of hours, he showed me some really great grappling techniques that will make me a better fighter, without a doubt. He told me he's coming out with a book that has all this stuff in it, and I plan to buy a copy when it's available.

Feb 7, 2006
EliteXC’s Lappen comments on CBS relationship

CBS and EliteXC conducted a media conference call Thursday afternoon to promote its upcoming Oct. 4 installment of “Saturday Night Fights” that will feature Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson taking on UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock.

The vast majority of the conference call was geared towards Slice and Shamrock, however, the fight promotion’s current relationship with CBS was inquired about by a couple of reporters.

EliteXC Director of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen stated that the promotion spoke with CBS last week and that the network has significant plans in store to begin to market the fight card to its audience. Again some of the possible promotional opportunities discussed include CBS’ telecast of professional and college football.

A question was also asked regarding EliteXC’s future on CBS. Lappen indicated that there is still a fourth contracted show between both parties even though a date for the fourth show has not be set. He added that after the final show on the current contract is held, CBS will retain the option to add more shows to its contract. Lappen expressed that the two parties have discussed extending the deal and indicated that CBS has expressed that it is happy working with the promotion.

Dec 30, 2003
did you watch the fight?
dong took the first round easily. brown took the second round easily. 3rd round was really a toss up that could have gone either way. i thought brown had the slight edge in the 3rd but i wasnt shocked that the fight was given to Dong.
nahhh i didnt watch it i just seen them both fight b4 and i think dong is a more exciting fighter.. plus there arent too may koreans i see in ufc so i back him up more than brown lol...

Feb 7, 2006
Kongo leaves Ibarra for UK’s Wolfslair

“Quinton had a split from his coach and he knew what a good job we did with [Michael] Bisping so it was a natural move for him. His old management weren’t on great terms with the UFC, but we are very UFC-friendly here and have a lot of time for (UFC president) Dana White so we stepped in. It was the same with Cheick. He was having some problems negotiating his new contract with the UFC and was looking for somewhere to train so it was an easy decision for him to join his mates…. He has been training with Quinton for his last couple of fights, and we know that has not been a happy camp. We think he will be a happier fighter here; he is only a couple of hours from his home in Paris and we will be taking all the other distractions like sponsorship out of his hands.”

When it rains it pours … just ask Juanito Ibarra. Cheick Kongo has now bolted from his camp, joining one of Ibarra’s other prized fighters, former light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, overseas at the Wolfslair MMA Academy in the United Kingdom. Of course, Michael “The Count” Bisping is also a Wolfslair fighter and more than likely the person responsible for recruiting Jackson to join the gym after his differences with Ibarra emerged. No specific reason was given for the split between Kongo and Ibarra, but the “French Sensation” is now certainly closer to his native France.

Feb 7, 2006
EliteXC Press Conference

Q: "Kimbo, if you weren't a fighter, what would you be doing?"
A: "I'd probably be a hairdresser."

There were about 20 more in that vein. I won't bother with any more.

Here's some highlights:

Ken Shamrock: "I have no respect for Kimbo at all, he's an idiot."

Ken Shamrock (responding to the next question): "You have to respect Kimbo for coming from where he's come from. Don't hate the haters....Kimbo, more power to him."

When another reporter followed up on this with a gotcha question, Shamrock said: Ken "This is a fight interview, man, I'm pissed off, so don't pick apart my answers."

Asked how he prepared for Kimbo, Ken Shamrock says he went to the streets near his gym and grabbed four guys over 280lbs hanging out in an alley and brought them back to the gym.

Kimbo Slice: "I have not turned down one name. My promoters they line up guys and I knock them down."

Bas Rutten says "Kimbo won't turn down anybody. But its us as his management who select his opponents."

Q: Ken -- what do you have left to prove? Ken: "I just like to fight. Kimbo is coming from where I come from and I want to take back what's mine."

Kimbo "That's what Tank said."

Q: Ken, why do MMA veterans like yourself disrespect Kimbo? Ken: "You have no idea what respect is. You need to ask another question."

Kimbo reminds Ken the most of Tank Abbott.

Kimbo "I stopped eating snickers." to improve conditioning.

Kimbo loves fighting in Florida. "I get a little advantage fighting in the crib."

Kimbo's message to anyone in the 305 area code -- "Come out and support your boy, I'm fighting the world's most dangerous man, that's a lot for a little boy like me. Ken can fuck someone up. He can break a leg."

Ken claims he'll come in at 280lbs. his strategy: "Hit straight right hand, left hook, knee to the chin."

Q: Bas , in retrospect, is it a good thing that Kimbo was taken to the ground by James Thompson -- "I wanted to see him fight somebody who would take him the distance. In round 1, Kimbo used a good escape from a scarf choke, a move I've had fighters train for years and years and not pull off. He can fight through. Even when he's tired he can come through. Does he got big balls, he's got big balls." Kimbo: "medium balls."

Why did you select Ken for Kimbo? Bas: "A lot of people backed down, then Ken came up. I thought that's a great idea."

Kimbo didn't watch Ken Shamrock's fights against Bas although he's seen lots of Ken's fights.

Ken won't retire after a victory. "I'm going to keep fighting as long as I am able to."

Kimbo "I don't underestimate anyone in the ring. If a guy steps in the ring he's still capable of his capabilities."

Does Kimbo have the potential to be a top 10 heavyweights and if so how long?
Bas: "Never look past your opponent. If he beats Ken, I'd want him to have a few more fights.

Q: Bas, do you see a comparison between this one and the Couture/Lesnar fight? and how would Kimbo do against Lesnar? Bas: "Kimbo will do good against anybody. I see Kimbo having way more tools than Brock Lesnar. Lesnar is good at taking people down, Kimbo has won by submission. I think you'll see more variety in types of wins from Kimbo. But I think Lesnar is going to be ground and pound but I think Kimbo is more of a mixed martial artist."

Ken "I never used the name "World's Most Dangerous Man", that's just something people called me. I'm very very disgusted with my last couple of performances."

Ken "Bas knows me inside and out, he knows everything I do. If anyone can get his fighter ready to face me, its Bas, but I have a few surprises for Bas and Kimbo."

Feb 7, 2006
Fighters Give Back To Community

September 10, 2008—San Juan Capistrano, CA—Mixed martial arts fight club, Team Oyama, based in Irvine, CA, joined with Habitat for Humanity of Orange County to build affordable, new homes designed for the needs of disabled veterans and their families. Working with the “Homes for Heroes” project, Team Oyama will help the non-profit organization complete 27 homes in a beautiful San Juan Capistrano community.

“These guys put it all on the line for our freedom. They deserve these homes and we are thrilled to lend a few muscles to the effort,” says Elite XC fighter and Team Oyama member, Shane Del Rosario. “This is a small way we can say thank you to our servicemen and women.”

The community of San Juan Capistrano has partnered with Habitat for Humanity of Orange County to build twenty-seven homes in their city. Fourteen of these affordable ownership homes are being marketed to disabled veterans and their families or surviving families of soldiers killed in action.

“Homes for Heroes” will be a unique neighborhood in San Juan Capistrano that Habitat hopes will soon be emulated across the United States. This small community within a community will bring together local families and veterans’ families who all struggle to meet rising housing costs in Orange County.

“Being an active part of our community is important to us as a team, as competitors and we want to help those who have supported our sport through the years,” says Team Oyama coach, Colin Oyama.

Feb 7, 2006
"Affliction: Day of Reckoning" to air on PPV despite forthcoming announcement

With continued speculation developing over the premise of Affliction Entertainment's forthcoming "major announcement," little in the way of fact has been established regarding the promotion's current direction.

And despite several recent reports hinting at a possible network-television deal for the upstart organization, Affliction Chief Operating Officer Michael Cohen today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" -- now slated for Jan. 17, 2009 -- will indeed air on pay-per-view.

"It will be a pay-per-view event," Cohen said of the rescheduled card. "There's no point in trying to come up with a clever answer. The answer is yes. It will be a pay-per-view event."

Cohen did not rule out the possibility that Affliction would end up with a network-television deal at some point.

"I think [a network television deal] definitely appeals to Affliction," Cohen admitted. "I think one day we would certainly like to have MMA broadcast on network television. I think that certainly would be good for the sport. I think it would be good for the promotion of the individual fighters, as well as Affliction Entertainment.

"I don't know whether or not the sport is there yet, but we certainly believe with the information we will be providing in the very-near future, that it's something that brings the sport closer to one day primetime mixed martial arts being featured on network television."

Cohen said the recently-promised major announcement will come in the form of a press conference -- and not as part of a (possibly HBO) broadcast as many had speculated.

"We have not been able to nail down the exact date," Cohen explained. "But it will be within two weeks. The reason for that is because there are documents that are circulating.

"Being a lawyer myself, I know the documents are reviewed, and then reviewed, and then they review them again. That's what lawyers do in order to make sure their client receives the benefit of the bargain that they are entitled to."

Several recent reports have linked Affliction to Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions. Cohen would neither confirm nor deny the alleged relationship between the two organizations, but he did not rule out the possibility of working to promote mixed martial arts and boxing side-by-side.

"I don't think that we're opposed to doing anything so long as it produces the best possible fight that the fan base can appreciate," Cohen said. "That's really what Affliction started, and that's what Affliction is going to continue to do -- and that's to put on the best possible fights for the fans and compensate the fighters appropriately.

"Anything additionally that you want to read into this, by all means, that's your prerogative. That's the goal of Affliction Entertainment -- put on the best possible event for the benefit of the fighters and the company."

Cohen also cleared up some recent confusion over conflicting reports that WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko would be appearing at Affliction's second event. Cohen stated clearly that "Fedor will be on that card."

As for the abundance of questions that still remain over the future viability of Affliction Entertainment, Cohen was unable to discuss most of them. But the Affliction executive promised that the mysteries would all be solved in short order.

"You'll find out very quickly," Cohen said. "That I promise you."

Feb 7, 2006
TUF7'S MIKE DOLCE LEAVES TEAM QUEST, ON THE RISE

Despite a brief stint on “The Ultimate Fighter 7” reality series, cast member Mike Dolce remains one of the most popular fighters from the season.

His hard-hitting fight style combined with a blue-collar hard-nosed work ethic has helped him etch a place in fan’s hearts, from his pro debut in the International Fight League to now.

After a brief stop in Japan, Dolce returns to his current home state of Oregon to make his first fight since appearing on Ultimate Fighter 7 on American soil this coming weekend.

“I’m fighting Sept. 13 for the Rise Fighting Championships in Eugene, Ore.,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I’m the co-main event and I’m very excited about that.”

After spending the last year at middleweight, Dolce returns to the weight class he has had the most success at, welterweight, for his upcoming appearance. “I’m dropping back to 170 – where I should be – and I’m looking to do some big things down there.”

Not only does his return to welterweight have Dolce excited for his fight, returning to the area he started his career has him equally anticipating Sept. 13.

“To come off the TV show and fight for the Oregon fans is great for me,” he commented. “I’ve got a lot of great friends out here and support.

“I’m really looking forward to putting on a really great show and just letting the fans see how far I’ve really come since I’ve made my debut out here.”

At Rise, he will be squaring off against Jake Paul, a tough veteran of nearly 20 MMA fights.

“He’s got more fights than me, and seems to be a well-rounded guy who likes to slug it out,” said Dolce of Paul. “It should definitely a fun fight; I’m looking forward to brawl a little bit.”

Sept. 13 represents a chance for Dolce to start his career fresh, after a major change he has made in the business aspect of his career.

“I’ve recently become a free agent,” he announced. “I’ve left Team Quest management and I’m really looking to take my career to the next level.

“I love Team Quest and will always be a loyal Team Quest supporter. The athletes and I are bonded as brothers, but management-wise it was time for me to move on and point my career in another direction and make some things happen.”

Dolce will continue to work with former teammates Chris Wilson, Ed Herman and Nate Quarry; and additionally further develop his relationship with his Ultimate Fighter 7 coach, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.

“My affiliation with Quinton Jackson has grown tremendously,” he exclaimed.

“He’s really begun mentoring me in the sport and has been looking out for me, giving me some direction training-wise and career management-wise; what I should be doing and really approaching in my fight career.”

Dolce looks to make this coming year one of rebuilding as he intends to make the most of his opportunity to further his career in the sport.

"I’m looking to fill those in those holes and develop further," he admitted. "Build that confidence and work my way to one of the top organizations and earn my spot as a respectable contender.”

After his fight for Rise, Dolce will make a quick turn-around and fight again on Oct. 18 in Mobile, Ala. alongside former Ultimate Fighter alums Gerald Harris, Josh Haynes and Luke Zachrich.

With a new business direction and a dedication to get better as a fighter with a busy upcoming schedule, it could very well be the time for Mike Dolce to go from fan favorite to legitimate contender, one day at a time.

“I want to thank my longtime sponsor MHP Supplements; Sprawl, Dakine equiptment and gear; and my new sponsors Pimp It and Eternal Unlimited; and Next Level Martial Arts,” closed out Dolce. “Thank you to the fans. Outside of my family, they’re my biggest motivator to go out there and do well.

“Make sure to get down to Eugene, Ore. and checkout the Rise Fighting Championships. I’m really making my comeback since leaving The Ultimate Fighter. I’m looking to make my mark in the sport and it’s all going to start with that fight.”

Feb 7, 2006
Randy Couture pushing for Emelianenko second, UFC policy changes first

A year's worth of legal battles began its conclusion with one obscene joke by "Captain America."

As UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC) today told the crew of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), his year-long conflict with UFC executives needed a creative solution.

"In kind of coming up with some strategies with my attorneys to open some dialogue with the UFC, I sent (UFC President) Dana (White) a nice text," Couture explained. "I told him I was on [an MMA forum], and there were some guys that were bagging on him -- no surprise there. They were saying that he likes to eat [expletive] sandwiches.

"I told [Dana] that I stuck up for him, and that there was no way that could be true because he doesn't even like bread.

"It's true. I sent him that text, and he texted me right back -- laughing his ass off -- saying, 'I'd love to talk to you. We can enjoy some [expletive] sandwiches together.' That started the whole thing."

Couture said the time wasted fighting opponents outside of the cage forced him to take a different approach to a much-desired bout with WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko.

"It's been a long year," Couture admitted. "I feel like I've been toting a black cloud around.

"I think both the UFC and myself were frustrated with the legal system and how long things take. We were both spending a lot of money on lawyers. I think after meeting with Fedor's people -- seeing the landscape and everything -- and realizing it was probably going to be at least another year of court battles and litigation and crap, it just made a lot more sense to try and find a way to bring Fedor back to the table with the UFC."

While media and fans alike have constructed multiple scenarios for a possible Couture versus Emelianenko showdown, Couture hopes it will happen immediately following his Nov. 15 heavyweight title bout with Brock Lesnar.

"I think both sides made some compromises," Couture said regarding the negotiations. "Obviously [the UFC] wanted me and Fedor for more fights, and I really only wanted the Fedor fight.

"That's the only fight that I'm looking for. I agreed to come back, fight Lesnar, and hopefully Fedor will be the second fight in the three that I signed for."

Another sticking point in the tense-negotiations between the heavyweight champion and the UFC was the pay scale and treatment of the UFC's fighters -- including Couture. The 45-year-old believes the organization has now taken steps in the right direction.

"One of the things that I was recommending that [the UFC] is considering is creating a medical board so that the 200-plus fighters that they have under contract can submit claims for medical things," Couture explained. "Like if we get the flu, we need stitches, any of those things that aren't covered.

"We don't have health insurance. And [the UFC] is doing some of those things already, but why not make it a program? Make it in some way change public perception about who they are and what they do for the fighters. And actually make it a process for fighters to submit a claim.

"If we're talking about buying some cold medicine, go buy some damn cold medicine. But if you actually have some medical expenses that would normally be covered by some kind of medical insurance that we don't have, then maybe the UFC in their infinite wisdom could cover some of these things. And they're considering some of those things seriously. They are at least willing to listen to some of the issues that we have as fighters."

Couture said UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta's decision to take a more active role in the organization was also a contributing factor to Couture's return.

"Lorenzo being involved now with the company a lot more as more of an acting CEO -- and Dana acting more as that face guy -- is nice," Couture admitted." I think it's going to be good. [Fertitta] is obviously a very rational, very levelheaded guy.

"Not that Dana's all that bad, but we've all seen Dana in his mode. So it all works. I think it will work out. I'm just happy to have it over with and be back training, and looking at something positive -- a fight."

That fight is a UFC 91 showdown with WWE import Lesnar.

While many have openly questioned Lesnar's qualifications for competing in a title bout just three fights into his MMA career, Couture understands the reasoning behind the matchup.

"I think first and foremost, the UFC -- from a business perspective -- is looking to make big fights," Couture said. "And this brings in a whole different viewership, a whole different demographic that maybe isn't going to tune in and watch a UFC."

While neither Couture nor the UFC could claim victory in the highly-publicized battle, the UFC heavyweight champion said he is happy with his current position and ready to move forward.

"I think we cleared the air," Couture said. "Obviously [the UFC] didn't come across with a big check for some of the things I think I should have been paid for. But I think it's setup.

"I'm going to be taken care of, and I'm pretty confident in that. Can there always be room for improvement? Absolutely. Anybody working in any job anywhere could say, 'Oh, I wish was making 'this.'' But I think we cleared the air on a lot of the old crap. And I'm looking forward to moving forward positively."

And while change may come slowly, Couture hopes a bout with Emelianenko will not.

"I'd rather fight Fedor sooner rather than later, but we'll see how it works out."

Feb 7, 2006
JASON MACDONALD WANTS ANOTHER FIGHT IN 2008

Jason MacDonald had a dominating performance over Jason Lambert at UFC 88 last Saturday night. He worked some effective ground and pound in the opening round before securing a fight ending “Submission of the Night” rear naked choke in the second. This was a big win following his exciting, but losing effort to Demian Maia the month before.

“The Athlete” likes to stay busy in his fighting career. He's looking to get in another fight before the year is out. There are still at least five events left this year in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and MacDonald is focused on getting one of them.

“I'm absolutely, completely focused on trying to get one more fight before the end of the year,” commented MacDonald in a recent interview with MMAWeekly Radio. “That decision isn't in my hands, but I walked away from this fight unscathed. I would love for the opportunity to get back in there and get one more fight under my belt before the end of the year.”

In 2006, MacDonald had an impressive seven fights in the same calendar year, going 6-1 in that stretch. It's natural to think that fighting more often makes him more confident. “Some of the best years I've had in fighting is when I fought five or six times.”

The question really is whom the UFC would match him up with. There are quite a few potential opponents suitable for MacDonald, although he will leave it in the UFC's hands.

“At the end of the day, it's whoever the UFC wants me to fight,” he said. “Nate Marquardt had a brilliant performance the other night and it looks like him and Dan Henderson may be on a crash course to fighting each other. You have Cote and Silva matched up against each other. I don't know what's really out there right now, but I know Thales Leites is kicking around out there. I'm not sure if he has an opponent slated.”

The big fight that may appeal to a lot of fans is a potential match up with England's Michael “The Count” Bisping, who is headlining UFC 89 against an opponent that MacDonald has already defeated, Chris Leben. “I'd be interested to see the Bisping-Leben fight. Of course I already fought Leben. I'd love the opportunity to step up and take on Michael Bisping. He's getting a lot of hype in the middleweight division these days. Anyone that fights with the guys in the top half of this division that can continue to move my career forward.”

Of course, MacDonald's ultimate goal is to get a shot at the UFC middleweight championship belt. “I want a crack,” he exclaimed. “I want to get myself in a position to fight for the title. Hopefully, I can put on a decent run here and take on some good opponents to get myself a title shot.”

Feb 7, 2006
RAMPAGE SIGNS WITH WOLFSLAIR; READY TO RETURN

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson recently decided to leave former trainer and manager Juanito Ibarra and land with United Kingdom based Team Wolfslair.

The former champion spoke exclusively to MMAWeekly.com at UFC 88 in Atlanta about joining up with the new team starting with his next fight.

“I just signed with a new team. I ain’t been part of a team in a while. Last team I was on was Team Punishment, if I can remember correctly,” said Jackson. “So Team Punishment ain’t really punishing right now. They really ain’t teaming up. I need a strong team behind me so I can utilize the full capacity of my strengthnism in fighting.”

One of the biggest factors in making the change was a friendship with Michael Bisping, who worked with Jackson during his camps with Ibarra. Now they will team up again at Bisping’s home camp in England.

“Michael Bisping is such a good sparring partner, and all his guys he’s got in the U.K., and those guys are really, really good. I really like their manager and I like the whole system,” Rampage commented.

The Memphis native confirmed that he signed on with Team Wolfslair for management as well as training for future fights. Jackson also cemented that he will still work out in Big Bear, Calif., for part of his camp, but his main training would take place across the pond in England.

Despite strong speculation that Jackson will make his return to the Octagon in a battle with longtime nemesis Wanderlei Silva – a fighter he has twice lost to in Pride – Jackson couldn’t comment on who he will face next, but he sounded confident for whatever challenge lays ahead.

“Anybody steps in my way, they’re going to get smashed,” Jackson stated. “I’m learning some new skills, I’m doing my thing. I’m going to be on top for a long time.”

Feb 7, 2006
BAS RUTTEN PREPARING KIMBO FOR SHAMROCK

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is in for the most high profile fight of his life on Oct. 4 when he and MMA icon Ken Shamrock headline CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights in Florida.

Despite his inexperience – he has a professional record of just 3-0 – Kimbo the bout against Shamrock will mark the third time in four bouts that he has been a part of the main event. By contrast, Shamrock has more than 40 bouts to his credit, having headlined in both the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Pride Fighting Championships.

Taking steps forward every time out, Kimbo has enlisted the help of another MMA great in his training ever since he began his transformation from Internet sensation to professional mixed martial artist. That would be former Pancrase and UFC champion Bas Rutten, who has been meticulous in developing Kimbo’s skills.

In the fight with Shamrock, Rutten sees the match-up as a classic submission specialist versus striker, and he’s conditioning Kimbo accordingly.

“Kimbo has been doing great,” Rutten told MMAWeekly.com’s Mick Hammond. “He’s been training in the gym and has been doing what he needs to do.

“The gameplan is pretty obvious what is going to happen,” he admitted. “Shamrock is going to try to take him down and apply leg locks; or if he sees a choke or an arm bar he’ll take that also.”

Rutten has faced Shamrock twice in his career, so he knows what “The World’s Most Dangerous Man” brings to the table.

“We’re preparing (Kimbo) for everything, but of course we are focusing more on the leg locks and takedown defense. Let’s face it; we don’t want to go to the ground. We want this fight to stay on the feet and see if Kimbo can knock him out.”

That would be the ultimate achievement for Kimbo at this point in his career. Shamrock has not been a world-beater of late to be sure – he is 2-8 in his last 10 bouts – but having competed on the very first UFC, the Shamrock name carries with it an immense amount of recognition between both the hardcore and casual MMA fan.

EliteXC’s Jared Shaw put it quite succinctly when he said, “It’s pretty simple. For Kimbo Slice, he wants to become the world’s most dangerous man and he wants to become the future EliteXC heavyweight champ. The only way for him to achieve those two things is going through Ken Shamrock on Oct. 4.”

Jul 24, 2005
Report: Several DREAM fighters allegedly owed money

By Zach Arnold | September 12, 2008

Assist in reporting from Yeo Jong-Hoon

According to a report at Sports Seoul, there is growing criticism about FEG delaying or not giving fighters money that they owed. “Fighter A” claimed in the article that he didn’t receive money for his last two fights, and “Fighter B” who is preparing for an upcoming fight also is claiming they didn’t get some fight money. “Fighter C” claims that he had to wait three months to get his fight salary.

The article quotes a source as saying, “There’s many fighters who don’t get paid. Especially DREAM fighters, foreigners mostly.” The article claims that the reason in the alleged delaying of payments is due to DREAM’s financial situation and the situation regarding Kazuyoshi Ishii.

The article also focused on Choi Hong-Man’s upcoming fight against Badr Hari in Seoul. There is criticism about K-1 booking this fight because Hong-Man only recently had surgery to remove a tumor in his brain. FEG claims that Hong-Man is healthy to fight, but there is a growing consensus that both K-1 & Hong-Man’s camps are spinning.

Feb 7, 2006
Akiyama Fills Out Dream Roster

After causing some delay for Dream, Yoshihiro Akiyama has found himself an opponent for the Sept. 23 Dream middleweight grand prix finale at Saitama Super Arena.

Dream producer Keiichi Sasahara, who announced Hayato Sakurai-Kuniyoshi Hironaka, Masakatsu Funaki-Ikuhisa Minowa and Keita Nakamura-Adriano Martins bouts for the event Thursday, told the media that Yoshihiro Akiyama would fight on the card, but had not yet responded to a list of three potential opponents that Dream parent company Fighting and Entertainment Group had offered him. On Friday, FEG announced that Akiyama would take on karate convert Masanori Tonooka.

Returning from knee and nasal injuries sustained earlier this year, Akiyama saw his first action of 2008 on Dream's lightweight tournament final in July, where he took a tougher-than-expected submission over part-time pro-wrestler Katsuyori Shibata.

Tonooka carries a scant 1-1 mark in MMA. The Seido Kaikan karate product got his first MMA win in July, knocking out Hidehira Yabu in Deep.