MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
RASHAD REVEALS PLAN THAT CRACKED THE ICEMAN

As the fight with former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell drew nearer, Rashad Evans swelled up with confidence ready to show the world that he was ready to go to the next level in the sport by beating the MMA icon in their main event showdown at UFC 88 last weekend.

Part of the confidence he had going into the bout with Liddell was a masterful gameplan concocted by coaches like Mike Winklejohn, Greg Jackson and especially close friend and training partner Keith Jardine.

Early on in the process of devising a strategy, it was Evans’ stand-up coach, Mike Winklejohn, who told the former Michigan State wrestler that he could give “The Iceman” all he could handle without ever taking the fight to the ground.

“Me and my coach Mike Winklejohn, when we came up with the gameplan and stuff like that, he seen that the key to beating Chuck was just stay on the feet,” said Evans during a recent appearance on MMAWeekly Radio. “I think the biggest opening for Chuck is just exchanging with him. He said ‘I believe in your hands. I know you can do it, but you have to make him miss.’”

In the first round of the fight, Evans implemented the first part of the gameplan by frustrating his opponent, while also paying close attention to what Liddell was doing in his attack.

“Get his timing and feel him out a little bit, get him frustrated and get him coming forward,” he said about the first round. “I really wanted him to start coming forward because I didn’t want to play that chase game, because that is where he is most effective at, is when you’re chasing him then he drops and he sits down on that right hand.”

What happened in the second round was a masterful piece of strategy put together by Evan’s training partner, Keith Jardine, who defeated Liddell in 2007. Evans was able to time Liddell’s punches based simply on a facial expression.

“He bites down, he almost clinches his nose a little bit, just with the anticipation of wanting to hit. And the madder he was getting, the easier it was to tell when he was going to try to strike me,” Evans commented. “He has his mean look on the whole time, but when he gets ready to hit you, he kind of like really, really, really bites down on his lip and frowns his nose up.”

Apparently Liddell’s signs are akin to that of John Malkovich in the film “Rounders,” but instead of eating Oreo’s, The Iceman made the face that called for a fight ending overhand right.

“I threw the overhand right and then I tried to follow with a left hook, because I also landed in the first round, that I had to finish left with Chuck because Chuck’s right hand was coming,” he said. “I was just trying to throw when he threw.”

Soon after, Evans was dancing in celebration, calling it a “Fred Sanford imitation with the heart attack” paying homage to the late great Redd Foxx, while happy with the biggest win of his career.

Next up for Evans is a title fight with current champion Forrest Griffin, but the Team Jackson member will surely have another solid strategy lined up to win the championship title.

Feb 7, 2006
Cung Le protégé Jose Palacios set to headline "Strikeforce: Young Guns III"

The California-based organization Strikeforce is set to begin a stretch of three events in four weeks tonight with the third installment of their developmental series, "Young Guns."

Main event fighter Jose Palacios (3-1) was a recent guest of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), and discussed his development in MMA.

"When I first started martial arts, it was kind of to get in shape for the military," Palacios said. "When I realized I was actually pretty good at this kickboxing thing, I decided to stick with it. Within six months I won nationals."

While studying San Shou under fan-favorite and undefeated middleweight Cung Le, Palacios won 34 of his 37 bouts. The unexpected success encouraged Palacios to take a different direction in life.

"I was like, 'You know, I'm actually pretty good at this,'" Palacios said. "So I decided to go to college and stick around the area instead of just leaving like I planned to do in the beginning.

"I kind of just fell into MMA after I competed at the World Games for San Shou, which is pretty much equivalent to the Olympics. I placed top three in the world. Then I was like, 'OK. What's next? MMA.'"

Palacios will be making his third appearance for Strikeforce in tonight's main event against Alvin Cacdac. The card takes place at Civic Auditorium in San Jose, Calif.

Strikeforce's "Young Guns" series was created in 2007 to aid in the development of up-and-coming talent. After tonight, the organization will also host "Strikeforce at the Mansion II" on Sept. 20, as well as "Strikeforce: Payback" on Oct. 3.

Tonight's final fight card will include:
Alvin Cacdac vs. Jose Palacios
Brandon Michaels vs. Luke Rockhold
David Barrios vs. Andrew Valladarez
Evan Esguerra vs. Gabby Solorio
Daniel Hernandez vs. Ron Kesler
Chris Bostick vs. Jorge Interiano
David Ashkinaz vs. Yohan Banks
Adam Antolin vs. Eric Castile
Jonathan Arce vs. Hussain Rasouli
Gennaro Strangis vs. Alex Trevino
Mike Davis vs. O.J. Dominguez

Feb 7, 2006
Frank Mir on Couture return, title fights and "shark" Nogueira

With filming of the eighth season of "The Ultimate Fighter" complete, former UFC-heavyweight champion Frank Mir (11-3 MMA, 9-3 UFC) is now free to focus on his December UFC interim heavyweight title clash with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (31-4-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC).

And as Mir recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), the task is certainly daunting.

"You just drown out there," Mir said of facing Nogueira. "It's almost like he's a shark -- and you're beating him up, you're beating him up -- and he's like, 'Yeah, but you're in the water. Eventually you're going to get tired, and I'm going to eat you.'"

Nogueira has been in considerable trouble early in both of his UFC bouts. Heath Herring dropped Nogueira to the canvas at UFC 73. But Herring did not want to engage Nogueira on the floor, and the Brazilian used the time to recover and earn a decision victory.

Former heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia used crisp striking and an effective jab at UFC 81 to batter and bloody Nogueira. One positioning mistake in the third round was all "Minotauro" needed to sink in a fight-ending choke.

"When I watch that, I'm like, 'Oh. I guess the best approach is to just to try to beat him, not to blow your gas by trying to knock the guy out,'" Mir said. "Because he can be dropped, but you're not knocking him out. Don't jump on him and kill yourself trying to finish him because he's not going to be finished."

When Mir and Nogueira were announced as opposing coaches for "The Ultimate Fighter," most assumed their year-end clash would be for the UFC's heavyweight crown. Unfortunately for the pair, current champion Randy Couture was able to settle his differences with the UFC and return to the organization.

Mir admitted the prospect of fighting only for Nogueira's current interim title was a bit disappointing.

"There's a little bit of frustration behind it," Mir said of the entire situation. "Obviously with Randy coming back, I think it's a great thing. I'm glad he came back. And I'm glad he's able to go ahead and compete now and finish his career the way it should have been finished -- not in a courtroom.

"But I wish, if the circumstances had let it, that Randy could have waited until after Nogueira and I and fight the winner. I think that would have been more of a logical, more acceptable circumstance. I think there would have been a lot less criticism."

Instead, Couture will face MMA newcomer Brock Lesnar in November for the heavyweight title. Mir understands the UFC's logic behind arranging the fight, but would have preferred a different scenario.

"It is what it is," Mir said. "Am I perfectly happy with the situation? Not at all. Do I understand it? Yeah, I get it.

"Brock Lesnar sells tickets, bottom line. Brock could be fighting somebody tomorrow who should be on an undercard -- it could be a prelim fighter. But if he's fighting Brock, it'll be a main event fight.

"Brock, by himself, could sell a card. And very few fighters right now in our sport have that kind of drawing power. So he's going to get things his way -- and favors career-wise -- that other fighters don't get the opportunity to have."

Mir believes the hype surrounding the Couture and Lesnar fight has affected the significance of his upcoming bout with Nogueira.

"I think [the Couture and Lesnar fight] takes some of the air out of Nogueira and I," Mir admitted. "Now we're fighting for the interim belt. But even some of my own family members are like, 'So, when you're fighting Nogueira, is it a three-round fight or a five-round fight? What are you guys fighting for? If [Couture] is the champ, what are you guys fighting for?' That's not the greatest thing to hear."

But rather than get caught up in the debates surrounding the current four-man UFC heavyweight title picture, Mir knows he must focus on the task at hand. "A win over Nogueira on a personal note would be phenomenal," Mir said. "It's kind of like a changing of the guard.

"To be successful with Nogueira would be to beat someone I look to as the prototype for someone who is my style of fighter -- a well-documented submission fighter who I think is phenomenal. To have a win against him on a personal note, or even to compete well against him, means a lot to me as a fighter."

A win for Mir would put take him one step closer to the end of a journey that began in 2004 with a motorcycle accident that left Mir unable to defend his title. The 29-year-old is ready to wear the belt once again, but will not be tempted to look past his next opponent.

"Getting the belt would be the culmination of this journey I've been on since I got hit by a car," Mir said. "And that's going to be the real title, not the interim title. But it's kind of hard to think that far into it, because I definitely have one hell of an obstacle ahead of me just for the interim belt."

Feb 7, 2006
"Kimbo Slice" prepared to utilize ground skills against Ken Shamrock

With "EliteXC: Heat" just three weeks away, one of the evening's main-event competitors may be taking a less-than-expected approach to the bout.

In a recent media conference call, street-fighting-legend Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (3-0) said he intends to use his grappling technique to defeat Ken Shamrock in their CBS-broadcast bout.

"Being a good grappler like myself -- against a supposed-to-be striker like Ken -- I'll try and break his leg," Slice quipped in regards to his strategy.

Conventional logic has dictated that the heavy-handed Slice would do everything in his power to remain standing against the submission-savvy Shamrock. Slice insists he is unconcerned with his 44-year-old opponent's ground prowess.

"As far as the ground is concerned -- being a good grappler like myself -- if Ken wants to take it to the ground, I'm going to mangle him up," Slice said.

While perhaps more pre-fight posturing than actual game plan, Slice's acceptance of a ground battle with Shamrock could certainly be construed as disrespect. The brawler insists that is not the case, and that he considers Shamrock a viable opponent.

"I'm getting ready to fight the world's deadliest man," Slice said. "That's a big responsibility for my little black ass to fight a guy like Ken Shamrock. This guy has the ability to really [expletive] somebody up. He could break a leg and end somebody's career. So I'm not taking this [expletive] lightly. This is not a joke to me."

Slice went on to say he considers it an honor to be in a fight with the UFC and Pancrase legend.

"I'm honored to fight Ken Shamrock," Slice said. "I'm bragging about it. I'm excited about it.

"The respect I have for a legendary fighter like Ken Shamrock, it's a lot of respect. To lose to Ken Shamrock to me is not a bad thing. But to kick his ass is the preferred thing. Either way, I look at it in a good way."

Shamrock and Slice, polar opposites in many ways, are also on a very different path in their careers. Slice has won the first three bouts of his not-yet-one-year-old MMA career, while Shamrock has lost five-straight fights in the tail end of his storied 15 years in the sport.

Slice doesn't see either pattern changing.

"This (fight) is going to keep streaks the way they are," Slice said. "Ken's going to stay on his streak, and I'm going to stay on mine."

Whatever the final strategy for Slice turns out to be, the Florida-native looks forward to a scrap.

"I enjoy doing what I do," Slice said. "I just want Ken Shamrock to come with the intent of kicking my ass. I want a guy to try and kick my ass. Knock me the [expletive] out. Try and knock me out. Try and break my leg.

"Do it, because I'm gong to damn sure try."

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction, Golden Boy Partner

Affliction and Golden Boy Promotions at a Saturday press conference in Las Vegas announced a landmark partnership through which they hope to improve the health and future of both mixed martial arts and boxing.

The deal between the two entities -- one a popular apparel company/fledgling MMA promotion, the other a high-profile boxing organization headed by 10-time world champion Oscar de la Hoya -- includes four pay-per-views and will begin in the first quarter of 2009. Though no specific dates were made official, Affliction representatives have said they have targeted Jan. 17. The relationship includes the controversial plan to commingle boxing and MMA, dividing cards evenly between the two sports.

Affliction earlier this week announced the postponement of its “Day of Reckoning” show, originally scheduled for Oct. 11 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Ticket sales were slow, and the decision to delay the event was met with concern over Affliction’s long-term viability as a fight promotion. Whether or not its partnership with Golden Boy puts those worries to bed remains to be seen.

Affliction “Day of Reckoning” was to feature a heavyweight showdown between former UFC champions Josh Barnett and Andrei Arlovski. Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio declined to comment on whether or not that fight would go forward as part of the first event of the Affliction/Golden Boy partnership.

Nothing concrete was provided on the return of World Association of Mixed Martial Arts heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko, either. The stoic Russian destroyer crushed two-time UFC titleholder Tim Sylvia at Affliction’s debut show in July. He needed just 36 seconds to submit the 6-foot-8 behemoth. Emelianenko (28-1) has not lost a match in almost eight years.

Feb 7, 2006
Jul 24, 2005
cheap gimmick Affliction & Golden Boy

By Zach Arnold | September 13, 2008 | Print This

Report here.

Though no word has been forthcoming from either promoter, it is expected that the partnership would include events that commingle boxing and MMA bouts on the same fight card. The move of Affliction’s event gives the two time to work out details and strategies to make such a hybrid fight card possible for the January event.

This is a lousy concept and a cheap gimmick. Just because a promoter was able to make it work on a lower level at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas through sponsorship doesn’t mean that the concept will work on a bigger scale with fighters commanding higher salaries. If I’m watching an MMA show, I want to watch a full card of MMA. I don’t want to watch boxing and MMA together. If I want to watch boxing, I’ll watch a boxing show with hopefully more than one good bout on paper. There’s a difference between getting a cheap or free ticket to a live show with a mixture of boxing & MMA bouts as opposed to me shelling out $40-50 USD for what is supposed to be an MMA PPV.

On paper, Affliction announcing a partnership with Golden Boy has decent “shock value” in terms of PR. In reality, I’m not sure just how much Golden Boy is willing to put into the business relationship. For example, Golden Boy is reportedly not airing the Joel Casamayor-Juan Manuel Marquez PPV fight tonight in HD. The reason? A cost-cutting measure

May 10, 2002
RASHAD REVEALS PLAN THAT CRACKED THE ICEMAN
“He bites down, he almost clinches his nose a little bit, just with the anticipation of wanting to hit. And the madder he was getting, the easier it was to tell when he was going to try to strike me,” Evans commented. “He has his mean look on the whole time, but when he gets ready to hit you, he kind of like really, really, really bites down on his lip and frowns his nose up.”
I remember seeing this tell in the Liddell/Rampage fight. Watching the Evans/Liddell fight again, you see it there too and in the second round you see Rashad thwarting pretty much all of Chuck's advances because he had his timing down. Interesting shit...

The reflexes of these cats are ridiculous when you factor in what's at stake.

Feb 7, 2006
HECTOR LOMBARD RETAINS TITLE AT AUSTRALIAN CFC

SYDNEY, Australia – In front of a packed house at Sydney’s Luna Park, Australia’s Cage Fighting Championship staged its fifth event. The diverse and respectful crowd of MMA enthusiasts was eager to see Australia’s best up and coming mixed martial artists alongside some international talent.

The card did not disappoint with every bout being action packed, drawing the crowd’s interest and excitement with a demonstration of what Australia has to offer to the world of mixed martial arts. Clinton MacDonald reports from Sydney exclusively for MMAWeekly.com

Hector Lombard v Brian Ebersole – 84kg Middleweight Title Bout
Crowd favorite Hector Lombard returned to defend his crown against Brian Ebersole. Lombard was able to beat Ebersole to the punch standing and land several Judo-style throws to get the better of his opponent the entire fight. Lombard was content to strike for the most part of the fight, managing to open a large cut over Ebersole’s left eye that had to be tended to by the doctor in the fourth round. The doctor cleared Ebersole to continue and the fight resumed. Shortly after continuing the round, Lombard landed a takedown and started to work ground and pound. He landed a big right hand on the cut of Ebersole, which was all that Ebersole could take, verbally submitting after taking the blow. Lombard retains his CFC middleweight belt, but Ebersole clearly had got under his skin, with Lombard landing an illegal knee to his opponent’s ribs after Ebersole submitted and the referee had called the fight. Lombard apologized, but he needs to maintain his composure if he’s to compete at an international level again.

Gordon Graf v Carlo La Torre – 84kg Middleweight
Penrith Elite-trained Gordon Graf, although brought in on short notice to replace Kyle Noke, was able to totally dominate Carlo La Torre. Graf was able to lift and slam La Torre several times during the short fight, showing great strength. After slamming La Torre for a final time, Graf landed a heavy right hand whilst standing over La Torre, knocking him out with one punch, forcing the referee to step in to stop the fight and leaving La Torre out cold for a number of minutes while treated by the professional medical staff cage-side.

Matt Cain v Brad Thompson – 77kg Welterweight
After surviving in the early moments of the fight, Queensland’s Matt Cain was able to take his opponent Brad Thompson down and move into side control. He worked hard to secure an Americana arm lock and after two attempts at the submission was able to submit his opponent in the first round.

Jesse Landry v Jon Leven – 77kg Welterweight
After a very close first two rounds, Elvis Sinosic student Jesse Landry was able to outlast his opponent, Jon Leven, in a battle that had a bit of everything as they exchanged strikes, battled in the clinch and worked hard on the ground. Both fighters had chances to finish but showed heart as they fought off the others efforts to finish.

Michael Van der Vlist v Priscus Fogagnolo – 93kg Light heavyweight
In a dominant performance, Tasmania’s Priscus Fogagnolo outclassed his opponent, Michael Van der Vlist, on the ground to gain a rear naked choke victory in the first round. After a nice double leg takedown and moving to mount quickly, Fogagnolo bloodied Van der Vlist up before eventually taking his back with the choke applied soon after to force Van der Vlist to tap out.

Matt Wilkin v Mark O’Callaghan – 62kg Featherweight
In a back and forth bout between two very evenly matched and explosive fighters it was Matt Wilkin who prevailed via split decision. Both Wilkin and O’Callaghan showed very slick jiu-jitsu skills, swapping many submission attempts, and a display of solid stand up in one of the more technical bouts on the card. The fan interest in the ground skills displayed in this fight was very positive, with the crowd cheering every transition made by both fighters.

Rob Hill v Denis Kelly – 70kg Lightweight
In an impressive performance Rob Hill – fighting out of Lange’s Northside MMA – came out aggressive early. Landing a takedown and ground and pound he gave his opponent Denis Kelly little time to do anything more than scramble back to his feet before he landed a heavy flurry that floored Kelly. Hill finished with strikes on the ground soon after.

Clint Joyce v James Vainikolo – 93kg Light heavyweight
In a great display of heart from both fighters, West Australian Clint Joyce came out on top of his opponent by unanimous decision. After surviving an early takedown and ground and pound from Vainikolo, Joyce was able to gain composure and bring the fight back to the feet, working takedowns of his own for almost the entirety of the fight, and landing good aggressive ground and pound to gain the decision. Joyce, a highly regarded kickboxer, showed that he is continuing to improve at a fast rate in the ground game.

Feb 7, 2006
SENGOKU LANDS DEAL ON JAPAN NETWORK TV

World Victory Road’s “Sengoku” has landed a television deal with TV Tokyo in Japan, according to a report by Nightmare of Battle.

The report, citing NikkanSports.com, says that the deal begins with a one-hour program covering Sengoku 1 through 4 that will air on Sept. 27, the night before Sengoku 5. Following the inaugural show, operating under the temporary name of Sengoku G, a weekly, 25-minute series will be on Oct. 6.

In addition, the New Year’s Eve Sengoku event is believed to have a two-hour slot notched for it on the network.

According to Wikipedia, TV Tokyo is the smallest of Japan’s major broadcast television networks. It is a free network station, much like ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox in the U.S.

Feb 7, 2006
JZ EYEING NEW YEARS EVE; ASKS FOR HANSEN

One of the most popular international fighters is just about to head back into training as Top 10 lightweight Gesias “JZ” Calvancante is almost finished rehabbing his knee injury and is ready to go out and claim the Dream title he didn’t get the first time around.

“A couple more weeks I’ll be back in training and I hope I can fight by the end of the year,” said Calvancante in an interview with MMAWeekly.com

The knee injury has been lingering for some time. After his last fight against Shinya Aoki, JZ was forced into surgery to finally repair the longtime damage.

“My first injury was a week before the first tournament in Hero’s when I fought Shaolin (Ribeiro). I kept going because I wanted to fight on New Year’s Eve,” he stated. “I could not so I came back in March to fight (Shinya) Aoki. It was a no contest. Then I kept pushing my knee, and then it ruptured totally.”

With two fights left on his current contract with the Dream promotion, JZ is ready to get back in action. His first goal is to take aim at the current lightweight champion in the organization.

“As soon as I get ready, hopefully the end of the year, possibly I want to fight (Joachim) Hansen,” he said with conviction. “Get my revenge, same that he did to get the belt, I want to do the same thing.”

Calvancante will travel back to Florida to work with his home camp at American Top Team as he prepares for his comeback later this year.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC FIGHT NIGHT: LAUZON GETTING BACK ON TRACK

Joe Lauzon didn't have your typical Ultimate Fighting Championship debut. He was brought in originally to take on the former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver in what was supposed to be Pulver's big return to the UFC. Lauzon had other plans though and pulled the upset of the year, knocking Pulver out in 48 seconds.

He then went onto “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show, where he came up short in the semi-finals. He then went on to defeat fellow cast member Brandon Melendez on the Ultimate Fighter finale by triangle choke. Keeping the success going, he subsequently submitted Jason Reinhardt.

Following that bout, Lauzon was tapped for main event status to take on top lightweight contender Kenny Florian in Denver. Both fighters had an intense first round of action in the fight with many transitions. In the second round, Florian took control and was able to finish Lauzon with punches and elbows.

Now “J-Lau” is looking to get back to his winning ways when he takes on Kyle Bradley on Wednesday night at UFC Fight Night 15 in Omaha, Neb. “I'm definitely excited,” Lauzon said confidently. “I want to erase that last one.”

The one stigma that seems to be lingering from the UFC Fight Night in Colorado is how bad the altitude affected so many fighters. If there's anything Lauzon has taken from the last fight, it's that no matter how hard you train, you can't always expect the same results. “No matter how prepared you think you may be, it's not always the case. I thought I was doing okay with the altitude. It kicked me in the ass. I thought I'd get there early. I'd sleep in an altitude tent. It still wasn't enough.”

Cardio has never been a problem for the Massachusetts native, but he wants to come out in his next fight and prove that he can really press forward an entire fight with no problem. “The last thing I want in this fight to be tired at all,” he said. “I want to go out and show everyone that I am in shape and I can push a much harder pace than I showed.”

Kyle Bradley recently made his Octagon debut at UFC 81 where he lost to Chris Lytle in less than a minute. However, he was fighting against a seasoned veteran and a weight class above where he's comfortable. Bradley and Lauzon aren't exactly strangers to each other either. They've known each other for quite some time and are actually quite friendly to one another.

“Kyle is good. I've known Kyle for years from the Underground,” explained Lauzon. “It was kind of funny. Before we both made it to the UFC, we used to post back and forth. I've known him for a while. When Kyle got the call to fight (Chris) Lytle on short notice, he found me and kind of asked me for advice. I came in as an underdog for the UFC and he was kind of looking for the same thing. It was kind of cool that he came to me for advice and now we're going to fight.”

This is definitely a fight that Lauzon is not taking lightly. He knows that the Kyle Bradley we saw back in February isn't the Kyle Bradley that he is accustomed to. “He's got good boxing. He has good jiu-jitsu. He has pretty good wrestling. He's definitely dangerous. You don't want to sleep on him. Some people think that going into the fight is going to be a washout because they saw thirty seconds of a fight where he was getting beat up, but that's not the case at all.”

This fight is very important to Lauzon to try to keep him in the upper echelon of fighters in the already-stacked UFC lightweight division. A win over Bradley would certainly set the tone for a climb back up to title contention. The main thing that he is focused on is this fight and coming out to set the tempo of the fight. “I'm usually pretty good and controlling the pace. That's kind of a given. We try to work on a couple things. We work on concepts. I have ideas of what we'd like to do, but nothing is super specific.”

Setting the tempo for this fight, Lauzon also hopes to set the tempo for the rest of his career, fast-paced and finishing on top with his hand raised in the end.

Feb 7, 2006
Anthony Johnson loses appeal to overturn Kevin Burns loss

Anthony Johnson and his management team were unsuccessful in their bid to have “Rumble’s” technical knockout loss to Kevin Burns at UFC Fight Night 14 overturned and ruled a no contest.

Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) Executive Director Keith Kizer today confirmed the ruling via email.

Here’s the snip:

“Based on advice from the Nevada Attorney General’s office, the appeal was rejected due to lack of remedy.”

Video replays of the third round stoppage show that “Rumble” was felled by an unintentional eye poke and not an uppercut. The referee in charge of the action, Steve Mazzagatti, unfortunately did not have the benefit of watching instant replay and called a halt to the 170-pound bout.

Johnson eventually had to undergo eye surgery to repair a damaged retina.

It’s important to note that Johnson and Mazzagatti crossed paths at a smaller show several weeks after the match and Mazzagatti apologized for the bad call.

There’s no word yet on when Johnson will return to action and it’s likely that this loss — while official — will forever have an imaginary asterisk beside it and not do much if anything to affect his current status with the promotion.

Feb 7, 2006
5 Oz. Exclusive: Despite Affliction postponement, Jay Hieron still looking to fight Oct. 11

Jay Hieron, the final reigning welterweight champion of the IFL, had been slated to debut for his new fighting home of Affliction during it’s “Day of Reckoning” pay-per-view event scheduled for Oct. 11 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. But like many other fighters, Hieron learned last week that the card would not be taking place as scheduled and that the promotion’s second show is now slated for January 17 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

Despite the setback, Hieron has no regrets about his decision to sign with Affliction despite offers from the UFC, WEC, EliteXC, and Strikeforce, and is still working on competing on Oct. 11 at the Thomas & Mack anyway.

During an exclusive interview with FiveOuncesOfPain.com, Hieron revealed that he’s in talks with another promotion to fight on that same date.

“I might be fighting Oct. 11,” Hieron said during the interview. “It’s not confirmed yet but it would be a show in Vegas called X2 Superfights.”

While Hieron was hesitant to go into details due to the fact that he has not finalized a contract, sources revealed to us that Kim Couture, the wife of UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture, is involved with the planning of the card, which had originally been slated for Oct. 18 but was moved up a week in light of the Affliction postponement.

Matches have yet to be finalized but fights between Mike Whitehead vs. Allan Goes, Josh Haynes vs. Steve Byrnes, Mike Pyle vs. Brian Gassaway, and Hieron vs. Bryson Kamaka could all headline the show. It is also believed that John Alessio could fight on the show as well.

Hieron also still expects to be involved with Affliction’s next show on Jan. 17. Drew Fickett, his opponent for the Oct. 11 show, could still be his opposition.

“I believe so,” Hieron answered when asked if there was still a chance he would face Fickett during the re-scheduled card. “I mean, it’s kind of a long time from now but that’s the plan… That’s definitely a guy I want to fight. I’ve been training for him a couple of weeks now and that’s been a guy I’ve been visualizing in my head that I was going to fight.”

Hieron also revealed that like several other fighters, he first heard about the postponed of the show via the Internet.

“I heard it through the Internet first and then I talked to (Affliction Vice President) Tom (Atencio). Tom called me,” he said.

Prior to signing with Affliction, Hieron received competing offers from the four aforementioned promotions. So does he have any regrets about the choice that he made?

“I spoke to (Affliction) and I believe in those guys,” said Hieron. “I think they’ve got a lot of big things that are about to happen. It’s just one of those things that if it goes through, what they’ve got planned is big, and I’ll be happy to be a part of it… I haven’t fought for them yet but I was at the first show and even before I had signed with them I liked what I had seen. I knew Tom personally. Of course (because) it’s a new organization they’re going to have problems at first but I believe they will come through and it will be good.

“I don’t regret the decision I made. Plus, my contract is great because it’s non-exclusive and it gives me that option of fighting somewhere else with their approval. If I’m not fighting on one of their cards then I can go fight somewhere else. Which is pretty big in the game right now because all of the other organizations are pretty much only signing exclusive deals with fighters.”

While we spoke with Hieron prior to Saturday’s official announcement that Affliction will be working with Golden Boy Promotions, he was well aware of the rumors that had been circulating and feels that the news can only be construed as a positive.

“It’s incredible for the sport and for Affliction,” Hieron responded when asked to address the rumor. “That’s going to blow the roof off of the organization. Oscar De La Hoya is successful in everything that he does as a fighter and a promoter and I believe in him. I think it’s going to be a big positive influence that he’s going to be involved with it.”

The Xtreme Couture fighter also confirmed rumors that he recently made a change in representation. Formerly represented by Monte Cox, one of the pioneers when it comes to fighter management in MMA, Hieron is now working with Ken Pavia and his firm, MMA Agents.

“I worked with Monte Cox for a period of my career,” he began. “He’s a great manager but I just think I was looking for something different. He’s got a lot of guys and is a busy man. I just changed a lot of things up. I was a free agent for awhile. I didn’t just go out from Monte and jump into a relationship with a new manager. I took my time to see what worked for me and Pav was definitely a guy I wanted to work with. He works with a lot of guys in my camp and they’ve got a lot of respect for him. He does a lot of great things for them. We’re on the same page right now and hopefully we can do big things together.”

Hieron confessed that the decision to leave Cox wasn’t easy but that he felt he had to do what was best for his career.

“Of course it was tough (decision to leave). I had a relationship with the guy. He did things for me. But at the end of the day a fighter has to do what’s best for himself. I’m the one out there doing the fighting. I chose to leave him and go somewhere else because (while) he’s a great manager, he’s real busy right now.”

Feb 7, 2006
Marcus Aurélio ready for Hermes

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt from American Top Team, Marcus Aurélio will do his fourth fight in UFC’s octagon needing a victory. The Brazilian fighter will face his former pupil Hermes França at UFC 90, which happens in October 25th at United States, and guarantees that knows the way to defeat his opponent. Directly from Florida, Marcus Aurelio spoke to TATAME.com, when he talk about his training, the expectation for the fight and his problems with Hermes França. “That’s no surprise, I know all his stand-up game, on the ground and his mind… My hear id focused on doing a 15 minutes fight without even breathing, but this fight can finish on the first round too”, guarantees Marcus, on the interview you check below.

How is your training to face Hermes França?

It’s perfect. I’m training well, I’m prepared and doing a lot of BJJ, Muay Thai and Wrestling. I’m doing everything I can to get there in my best shape for this fight.

Hermes was your pupil and you take him to America?

Hermes was my pupil from blue to black belt in BJJ. I bring him to America when he was a brown belt, even before American Top Team being created. We used to train at Silveira Brother’s, from Marcelo and Conan, when we, with Ricardo Libório, gave him the Jiu-Jitsu black belt. After that ATT was created and he joined it, but he did some shit and people wanted him out. We gave him another chance and he did shit again, and this time with Libório, and now he’s banned from the team. Then he went to Team Armony, but he did some shit there too…

And now your friendship is over and you have this rivalry?

Obviously he got out pissed, but we weren’t friends for a long time ago. He always was a little fishiness, and a lot of people were pissed with him. Almost the whole team doesn’t like him. The funny thing is that not only people from our team doesn’t like him. A lot of people called me wanting to help me for this fight, it was pretty funny, people calling me and saying: “Marcus, I wanna help you. You have to beat up this guy!”.

You asked for this fight?

I didn’t asked, neither him. I was going to fight Gleison Tibau, but he got an shoulder injury and had to do a surgery. I was in a bad situation inside UFC, because I came from a loss, and Dan Lambert (ATT owner) spoke to me about this fight with Hermes, and I couldn’t say no.

How do you think it’s going to be this fight?

Forgetting about his fishiness and being a problematic guy, Hermes is a great fighter, and that’s why he fought for UFC’s belt, but I’m ready for every situation. That’s no surprise, I know all his stand-up game, on the ground and his mind… My hear id focused on doing a 15 minutes fight without even breathing, but this fight can finish on the first round too.

You got to UFC as the man that submitted Takanori Gomi. What happened with you that you couldn’t continue with this victories inside the octagon?

Inside UFC is kind of get frozen. In USA is different from Japan, the guys here fight to make points, they’re not like Gomi and BJ Penn, that go forward all the time looking to finish it. Without demerits, I think UFC only has three dangerous fighters, the others play to make points, and that’s what Tyson Griffin did when he fought Tibau and then with me. They’re limited fighters, have a good Boxing, two or three takedowns and a weak ground game, and that’s why they use the cage rules, doesn’t let the fight go well, just keep doing a little punch, a kick and doing some points.

How is the team after André Benkei left?

Benkei’s left was very sad; I can say that he was the heart of the team. Now he’s a freelancer and everything is fine, hasn’t changed anything, we continue doing our preparation with him and it won’t change. He’s fundamental, he’s always with you, is more than a physical trainer, he’s your babysitter and does it for love, not for money. If you need to wake up in the morning to hydrate, he’ll wake up earlier than you and get you water, vitamins, and will help you hydrate. We’re choked with his leaving, but we’ll solve it and who knows one day he can come back, because everybody here loves him.

With all great talents on the team, do you consider ATT the best team of the world?

Yes, I do, because here’s a family, it’s like an extension of my house. I stay more here than inside my own house. The structure here is the best, and the guys are even better. You look around and see Marcelinho Garcia, Gesias Cavalcante, Thiago Silva, Antônio Silva, Thago Pitbull, Gleison Tibau… Today, we’re the best training camp of the world.

Feb 7, 2006
“Cigano” confident for Werdum fight

Junior Cigano’s job in his UFC debut is not one fo the most easy. The fighter from Minotauro Team will face at UFC 90 the BJJ World Champion and ADCC champion, Fabrício Werdum, that has in his history great fights in UFC and Pride. “It could be a little late to debut in Ultimate and face a guy like Werdum, but I have all the conditions to beat him. I train with one of the best, Rodrigo Nogueira, and he said I can defeat him, so I’m pretty confidence that I can put him down”, said Cigano, that is training hard at Minotauro Team.

With seven fights and only one loss in MMA, Junior is developing his Wrestling and Muay Thai to keep this fight standing up and get another victory. “I hope keep this fight stand. I watched some of his fights with Minotauro and he gave me some tips”, said Cigano. With a victory against Werdum, the fighter guarantees that wouldn’t face his friend, the interim UFC heavyweight champion. “It’s impossible to face my master. As long as he keeps the belt, I’ll be his guardian. To face him, people will have to beat me first”, guarantees.

Feb 7, 2006
Anderson: “Gracie’s time is past”

Pointed as the best pound for pound MMA fighter of the world, Anderson Silva commented the fight between Rousimar Palhares and Dan Henderson, that ended with the unanimous decision victory for the former Pride champion. “I didn’t see the fight, but everybody said that Den Henderson was very superior, as I was expecting. Toquinho (Palhares) is very young, has a lot of thing to go through in the sport and it was a good experience”, said the UFC middleweight champion, that doesn’t believe that only BJJ can bring the fighter to victory in the octagon.

“You have to train everything… People are wrong about MMA. The time when the Gracie’s supremacy was total, when Jiu-Jitsu was the most important, but Gracie’s time is past. That thing about the weak fights the strongest, everybody knows something, avoid the ground, defend a leg-lock, nobody is fool nowadays”, analyzed Anderson. “But who is Andeson Silva to say about it, it happens… It could be the opposite, he could have catch his foot and finish him, but isn’t easy, that guy needs to be respected and Toquinho hasn’t much experience to fight him”, said Anderson to TATAME.com.

Feb 7, 2006
WANDERLEI SILVA COMPLETES COLLECTIBLE SERIES

Round 5 recently announced that it has secured UFC fighter Wanderlei “The Axe Murderer” Silva as the fourth and final fighter that will round out its Series 2 of collectible mixed martial arts figures. Silva completes the Series 2 line-up, which already features Sean “Muscle Shark” Sherk, Anderson “The Spider” Silva, and Rich “Ace” Franklin.

Series 2 is set to find its way into stores in time for this year’s Christmas shopping season.

Damon Lau, president of Round 5, says of the announcement of Wanderlei Silva, “After the successful release of our first series, we are thrilled to exclusively secure Wanderlei Silva as the fourth and final character to join our eagerly awaited Series 2."

The collectible figures from Round 5 have become a popular item for mixed martial arts fans, noted for their extreme attention to detail.

Series 1 of the figures featured Tito Ortiz, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, Randy Couture, and Matt Hughes, all current or former UFC champions.

The 6” MMA collectable figures will be available in stores across North America including Champ Sports, F.Y.E. (For Your Entertainment), KB Toys, Toys R Us Canada and distributed exclusively in the U.K. by Made For Fighters.

Feb 7, 2006
STRIKEFORCE YOUNG GUNS 3 CUT SHORT

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Strikeforce held its third Young Guns show on Saturday night at the San Jose Civic Auditorium, which was unfortunately cut short due to a broken cage.

After eight fights had been held, a ten-minute intermission ensued as the cage door had come undone and wasn’t closing properly. With five bouts remaining on the card, the announcement came a little after the ten minute intermission had ended that the cage couldn’t be repaired and the rest of the card was to be scrapped because under CSAC rules a properly working cage was needed to continue.

The fans jeered the announcement, but were informed that the next Young Guns show would be streamed on the Strikeforce website and they would be given a code to view it at no cost. The remaining fighters that were unable to compete would be paid twenty percent of their fight purse.

Strikeforce: Young Guns 3
September 13, 2008
San Jose Civic Auditorium

Chris Bostick def. Jorge Interiano by Submission (Kimura) at 2:26, R1
Yohan Banks def. Michael Diaz by TKO at 0:19, R1
Adam Antolin def. Javi Alanis by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:41, R2
Ryan Bastianelli def. Hussain Rasouli by Unanimous Decision (30-27 on all three cards), R3
Alex Trevino def. Gennaro Strangis by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28), R3
Matt Pedro def. Eric Castile by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:08, R2
David Rasouli def. Jeremy Tavares by Unanimous Decision (30-27 on all three cards), R3
Mike Davis def. OJ Dominguez by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27), R3

Feb 7, 2006
Sources: UFC 92 Card in Flux

Rashad Evans will definitely fight Forrest Griffin for the light heavyweight title, but it may not be at UFC 92. Sources indicate to Bloody Elbow that the UFC is considering moving that fight to another show. There is some internal concern that with Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture headlining in Vegas in November, and GSP vs. BJ Penn headlining in Vegas in January, Vegas fans may skip the December show if it doesn't have a huge name on it.

There is still an outside possibility that Chuck Liddell could fight in December. He is an established draw in Vegas, and he does not plan to retire after his last loss. There are numerous potential opponents he could fight in December as well, including the returning Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. He was originally scheduled to fight on that show as well, but it's unclear whether he would be ready to fight again after such a bad knockout.

As of last night, Rashad Evans vs. Forrest Griffin will most likely headline UFC 92 alongside Frank MIr vs. Antonio Nogueira, but things could change if they are able to set up a big fight for Liddell in December.

Update: To clarify, Mir vs. Nogueira is locked for this show. It is Griffin vs. Evans that could be moved.