Boxing schedule for the month of February

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2006
Devon Alexander ready for Marcos Maidana

Interview by Brian Grammer

“It feels real good to be able to eat!”, replied former IBF and WBC light welterweight champion Devon Alexander in response to the question about moving up in weight to the welterweight division.

Alexander (22-1, 13 KOs), in his final week of training for his first fight at 147 pounds, said that he is a lot less stressed out about making weight, while not losing muscle and strength, as he has in the past when ruling the light welterweight division.

Waiting for him Saturday night is another 140 pound champion moving up in weight, current WBA champion, Marcos Maidana (31-2, 28 KOs).

Expecting everything but the kitchen sink to be thrown at him, Alexander has prepared for this bout just like he has in the past. “We are working on strength training. Not necessarily in building muscle, but Maidana is bigger and stronger and we have to be prepared to keep him off of me.”

Alexander’s trainer, Kevin Cunningham, said that the program really revolves around the use of a change in diet and a new strength and conditioning program.

“Devon walks around at around 165, so in the past, when dropping to 140, he would get to around 148 or so and then hit a wall. We would then have to cut muscle in order to get to 140 pounds.”

Cunningham said that the drop to 140 “sapped Devon’s strength, really weakening him. He has always has been well conditioned, but he wouldn’t have any energy”.

Also changing for Alexander and Cunningham is the move to a new promoter, Golden Boy Promotions. Alexander said that working with Golden Boy “is not all that different. More smooth, maybe. They are always on top of everything when it involves the contracts and stuff. Not that Don King was bad, it is just a different way of doing business.”

When asked if Oscar de la Hoya has given him any advice or tips about fighting and moving up in weight, Alexander replied, “Not really. I expect to talk to Oscar on fight night and getting a good pep talk from him before going to the ring.”

The conversation then turned to Tim Bradley who is the only person to blemish Alexander’s record and the announcement of his upcoming bout with Manny Pacquiao. “I give Tim a chance. A puncher’s chance. Both guys will come to the ring in shape and ready to go and I think that Bradley can give him a pretty good go of it.”
When asked about who else he would like to fight in the very crowded field at 147 pounds, Devon didn’t hesitate. “Anybody. It obviously depends on the situation and I will let Golden Boy and Kevin work out the details, but I am a fighter. I haven’t ever ducked anybody and I am not starting now. “

“Arch Enemies”, promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and in conjunction with HBO, will be held on February 25th at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo. Tickets are on sale now, starting at $25 and can be purchased at Ticketmaster and the Scottrade Center Box Office.

Feb 8, 2006
lol! I love this shit

[video=youtube;SyOQSRy5t2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SyOQSRy5t2c[/video]

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Anyone catch any of the fights last night? Burgos Vs. Cruz was a pretty good fight as was the whole ShoBox card with Nunez almost coming back at the very end to stop Latimore.

Off topic..

2-0 .. did you ever see Spinks Vs. Powell uploaded anywhere? Still haven't had a chance to watch that.

Feb 3, 2006
Anyone catch any of the fights last night? Burgos Vs. Cruz was a pretty good fight as was the whole ShoBox card with Nunez almost coming back at the very end to stop Latimore.

Off topic..

2-0 .. did you ever see Spinks Vs. Powell uploaded anywhere? Still haven't had a chance to watch that.
Latimore got rocked in the 9th rounds. Jessie Vargas is always in a action fight.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
I kind of thought this was a joke match up when it was first announced. I thought Huck got some gift decisions in CW fights and stayed away from most top fighters save for Lebedev and Cunningham, two fights which he lost (save for bad decisions), but he's fighting well here.

.. and this is reminding me of Margarito/Cintron where Margarito had points deducted for Cintron's constant ducking.