Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
KARIM MAYFIELD: "THEY STILL LOOKING FOR AN OPPONENT FOR ME...A CHIP IS GONNA STAY ON MY SHOULDER"
By Percy Crawford | February 17, 2014

"I think he was arrested or whatever reason, so they still looking for an opponent for me. I'll fight whoever...I don't want to direct this to anybody in particular, but a chip is gonna stay on my shoulder until I retire. With that chip...I'm trying to get these chips and I'm trying to eat some chips (laughing), so with that being said, a chip gonna stay on my shoulder," stated undefeated jr. welterweight Karim Mayfield, who talked about his scheduled March 1 return to the ring, his future plans, and much more. Check it out!

PC: You are scheduled to fight on March 1st on the Chavez Jr./Vera rematch card. Is that still a go?

KM: Well, you know, right now, my opponent had pulled out for...I think he was arrested or whatever reason, so they still looking for an opponent for me. I'll fight whoever!

PC: In your mind, will you be fighting on March 1st or is it still in the air for you?

KM: It's really, honestly, to keep it 1000, it's in the air right now, man. They looking for an opponent. A few guys didn't want to take the fight, so they still searching. I think with the resources and the budget that Top Rank has, they should be able to find me an opponent for that date.

PC: Although you are a true pro who has dealt with similar situations throughout your career, is this frustrating for you to not know with that date a few weeks away?

KM: Certainly, but due to the strength that most of my career has pretty much been...if you wanna use the word plagued; I can't really use the word plagued because I've always come up victorious. But my career has pretty much been like that; two-week's notice or last minute. I'm pretty used to this, but the only thing that's frustrating is that I'm dealing with a major promotional company and we don't have a particular opponent and that's just kind of irritating in a sense of, first of all, not only having an opponent, but I feel like I should be fighting on network television right now anyway and my opponent should already be booked, so that's what that is.

PC: You expressed your displeasure with Danny Garcia fighting Mauricio Herrera on March 15th on your social networks. Of course you defeated Herrera back in 2012 unanimously.

KM: It's the politics of the game. If you go back to when I approached Danny Garcia at the Mayweather press conference, you hear Angel Garcia saying, "Earn your spot." Okay, you tell me to earn my spot, but then you go and fight someone who is not even ranked. At that point, I was #2 in the world with the WBO, which is a sanctioning body where I feel my spot was earned. I had fought 6 or 7 undefeated fighters before I was even 17-0. I feel like my spot was earned, and they gonna turn around and say I didn't earn my spot and then give it to somebody that I have officially defeated. Okay, are we earning spots for the mandatory spot to fight each other or is it a politic thing? Or should I say politrick?

PC: You said awhile back that you felt Adrien Broner could be and would be exposed to a certain style. Obviously Marcos Maidana was the better man that night. Do you see this as possibly a spiraling situation or do you think Broner could bounce back?

KM: I definitely think Adrien Broner can bounce back, but I just feel like it was a mesh of styles. When I was watching the fight, I'm not a hater at all and I feel let the best man win, but when I seen Maidana doing that to him, I was irritated because I knew exactly how to beat Adrien Broner and I knew that that style and that type of pressure and that bullying style would beat him, Adrien Broner. So I was just upset that I couldn't expose him to the world. But with that being said, I think that he can bounce back, but honestly, I think him trying to do a rematch with Maidana is a bad look because, first of all, once a pitbull figures out that he is the dominant dog, he doesn't get less dominant; he actually gets more dominant. And knowing that he can actually bully Broner, he is gonna be really bullying him now. But Broner's style has been like this his whole career. I don't see him adjusting it in a couple of months just to have the style to cope with the bullying style that Maidana comes with.

PC: You have been working with some world-class fighters in the gym. What's that been like for you?

KM: Yeah, we got world-class guys in the gym and when I'm in the Bay area, I may train in Vegas, but my coach, Ben Bautista, is gonna be in my corner regardless. But I been out here for the fact that I don't really have a fight set. Being around world-class fighters like Angulo, Andre Berto, and Amir Khan, and we got a guy in there, I can't remember his name, but we call him "The Wolf". He an undefeated Russian guy and a good pressure fighter. But I been around some world-class fighters and sparring with those names, you can't do nothing but get better. The things that you may get away with with other fighters or lesser fighters, these guys aren't gonna let you get away with it. So you gotta step your game up and tighten up your skills.

PC: For sure. If not March 1st, is the mentality just as soon as possible?

KM: The mentality is just basically staying ready because I see there is gonna be a lot of 140-pound fights coming along. I just feel like I might get one of those calls at the last minute. I haven't gotten a fair shake thus far, so I'm not looking to get one at this point of my career. I just gotta be ready for whatever. There are a lot of fight dates out there, but, you know, something's gotta give. You know, honestly, I feel like it will happen at the right time. Let these guys have their wars, beat each other up and expose each others' styles, and I will come in and capitalize and take all of them belts at the right time. But with that being said, I think everything will happen in due time. I just gotta be prepared. Success is when opportunity meets preparation and I will definitely always stay prepared. I'm just waiting on the opportunity.

PC: You always seem to bring your best when you have that chip on your shoulder, that me against the world mentality, and that seems to be where you are at. Do you feel that way as well?

KM: I do feel like that. I feel like boxing is a small community and fraternity and there is only a few guys that deal with each other, and I kind of feel like they all trying to keep me out. You think that you can fight your way up to the top, but once somebody is trying to hold you down, it's hard. I'm not the only one they are doing it to. It happens to a lot of champions and a lot of fighters, but I actually spoke to somebody yesterday; he was a fan and I didn't know who he was, but he came up to me. I was downtown shopping and he told me to keep doing what I needed to do and just be prepared for whenever they give me that call and just capitalize on whenever it comes. I don't want to direct this to anybody in particular, but a chip is gonna stay on my shoulder until I retire. With that chip...I'm trying to get these chips and I'm trying to eat some chips (laughing), so with that being said, a chip gonna stay on my shoulder. People ask is it personal or business? It's both business and personal. I'm fighting for me and my family and I'm also fighting for them belts, so it's business and personal.

PC: I appreciate the time. I hope you can keep that March 1st fight date and I wish you the best of luck my man. Is there anything else you want to add?

KM: I just want to tell all of the fans that support me, fans, folks, friends and familia, y'all keep holding me down and whenever they put me on, I'm gonna continue to put on, man. Until then, hit me up on IG K @Karim hardhittamayfield, I'm a cool dude to get at. Twitter K @Karim Mayfield1 and Facebook, Karim Mayfield. It's all good and it's all love and you will see me in 2014!

Feb 8, 2006
Donaire in danger against South African champion Simpiwe Vetyeka

MANILA, Philippines – Filipino-American boxer Nonito Donaire Jr. expects a tough fight against South African champion Simpiwe Vetyeka, who recently won the WBA featherweight crown against former Indonesian star Chris John.
Donaire described Vetyeka as a "slick" boxer with punching power.
“Is a really good fighter. I think he’s the toughest of all the guys in that division. He’s slick, he’s got power, pretty good,” the “Filipino Flash” said in an interview with Philboxing’s Ronnie Nathanielsz.
Last December, the South African stopped John in the seventh round to win the featherweight crown. John, the best boxer ever produced by Indonesia, was forced to retire after the bout.
Although they have yet to finalize the deal, Donaire said, he will start serious training at the gym of his father in Oakland, California next month.
“If the fight is held in Macau there is a slight possibility I will train in the Philippines,” said Donaire.

Feb 8, 2006
How Floyd Mayweather's Showtime/CBS deal changed the Fight Game

Many boxing fans have been concerned over the last few weeks, about who will Floyd "Money" Mayweather is gonna fight May 3, 2014. In my opinion when Mayweather left H.B.O. and signed with Showtime/CBS this move caused a major shift in the fight game. As we all know Amir Khan is the front runner to land the May 3rd pay per view bout with Mayweather which has caused a major controversy among fight fans hardcore and casual alike. I feel that because Mayweather is guaranteed multi-millions of dollars no matter who his opponent is, his desire and motivation to put on the best fights possible have almost disappeared. This is evident because when u look at his last six fights, two of them in my opinion were tests to the pound for pound king, Miguel Cotto, future hall of famer, and the upcoming star Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. Now lets take a look at the other four, Victor Ortiz, Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero, and future hall of famers "Sugar" Shane Mosley, and Juan Manuel Marquez. I think it can be said the fact that Mayweather faced Guerrero, and Ortiz, that now other young and upcoming fighters such as Shaun "Showtime" Porter and Keith "One Time" Thurman, should be considered but ultimately will be left out in the cold because they are not marketable enough for the six fight contract.Considered too much of a risk not enough reward. Thats what the modern fight game has come to. It just doesnt seem that Money Mayweather is interested in any of the Top 10 fighters in the welterweight division, or super-welterweight division for that matter. To be considered T.B.E. (The Best Ever) You would think we get the top fighters in the division to get their shot against the best in the world, instead of a fighter like Amir Khan who is 2-2 in his last four fights and has never competed in the welterweight division. Personally i have been a huge Floyd Mayweather fan since the beginning, but i must admit myself that it seems like the fix is on, and he is gonna take the easiest possible fights, since he gets 30 plus million regardless of who he fights. Its not too much to ask for one of the greatest fighters of all-time and the best of this generation cleans out his division before he rides off into the sunset is it?????????????????????????????????????
Dee Anderson

Feb 8, 2006
Alex Ariza: Who Says Floyd Mayweather is Only Looking at ONE POLL?

By Shawn Craddick
The fans and media have been guessing for the last week why is it taking Floyd Mayweather so long to announce that he is fighting Amir Khan? Floyd put up the poll on his website and he said he was going to let the fans decide who he is going to fight next. Well Amir Khan won that poll, however there is some rumors swirling around he still might fight Marcos Maidana. The people are wonder how this is possible? Well Alex Ariza might have some insight. This is what he said today ...

Alex Ariza ‏ A @ariz aFitness
Who says @FloydMayweather is only looking at one poll and not the TOTAL, of all the polls to decide who He fights next.#justsaying

Well I guess we will wait to see if what Alex Ariza is saying might be true. Maybe Floyd is calculating all the polls out there? One problem .. whose to say that the other polls have not been tampered with? There is a computer generator called a "bot" that can make anyone win through "manipulation" of the computer software. Have you heard of Florida voting?

Jul 24, 2005
Golovkin’s April 26th opponent to be announced this week, says Loeffler
February 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 25 Comments
1Share 1 14Share 10Tweet

gennady golovkin andy lee By Allan Fox: WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions will be making an announcement this week about who Golovkin will be fighting next on April 26th, according to Steve Kim. It’s expected to be fringe contender #11 WBA Andy Lee (31-2, 22 KO’s), because Loeffler ruled out a fight between Golovkin and the dangerous Erislandy Lara. Lee is far easier fight for Golovkin than Lara, and it’ll help avoid any slip ups on Golovkin’s part.

Lee isn’t an upgrade from the last opponent that Golovkin fought in beating Osumanu Adama on February 1st of this month. Lee is probably a downgrade from Adama, because he doesn’t have the chin or the stamina that Adama has, and he’s not nearly as clever. Adama was like a punching bag for Golovkin until the referee finally halted the fight in the 7th after watching Adama get dropped and then staggered.

The problem that Golovkin has is he – or his management – aren’t willing to take on the dangerous opponents outside of his weight class. He could easily get fights against IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch, WBA 168 lb champion Andre Ward of WBA interim 154 lb champion Erislandy Lara, but they’re not making those fights. So instead of seeing Golovkin against good opposition, we’re seeing him fight the likes of Adama, Curtis Stevens, Nobuhiro Ishida, Gabriel Rosado and Matthew Macklin. Golovkin wants to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr., Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, Peter Quillin and Sergio Martinez, but he’s not doing the things that would make him more interesting to these fighters by taking on dangerous opposition.

Lee has been knocked out by Brian Vera and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. He’s faced two good opponents during his career and lost to both of them. He’s done very little since his loss to Chavez Jr. in 2012. He’s won three fights since then, but against very weak opposition. Lee is kind of in the same boat as Amir Khan is in not deserving a title shot right now, but it looks like he’s going to get one anyway.

Read more at Golovkin’s April 26th opponent to be announced this week, says Loeffler

Jul 24, 2005
Maidana’s manager to meet with Mayweather’s adviser to talk today about fight
February 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 104 Comments
5Share 1 33Share 15Tweet

marcos rene maidana floyd mayweather jr amir khan By Allan Fox: WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana’s manager Sebastian Contursi will be meeting with Floyd Mayweather Jr’s adviser Al Haymon today to discuss a possible May 3rd fight between Maidana and Mayweather, according to RingTV. Contursi expects Mayweather to make a decision about who his next opponent will be in the next few days. Mayweather will need to make a decision soon so that Showtime/CBS and Golden Boy Promotions can start marketing his fight. The longer he waits the less time they’ll have to try and sell the fight.

With Mayweather fighting Khan or Maidana next, it’s going to take more effort to get fans interested in the fight than it was for his previous bout against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. That fight was always going to be an easy fight to sell due to Canelo’s popularity with his huge Mexican fan base.
But Mayweather and Golden Boy put out some effort to make it an even bigger fight by going on a 11-city tour, and that obviously helped. If Canelo was a little better at self-promotion, he could have talked the fight into being bigger than it was. But Canelo played it low key and rarely said much to get fans excited about the fight.

“We are scheduled to talk to Al Haymon this afternoon, in a few hours, and then, we’ll see how things are going,” Contursi said to RingTV. “We’ll have to talk. I think that they have to make a decision either today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. They have to make the decision.”

Khan has been speaking a lot on his twitter account, and trying to encourage his followers to push for the fight. He says he won’t be happy if Mayweather fights Maidana instead, because he said he was going to face the winner of the poll on his website. Khan won the poll by a landslide vote, and so he feels that Mayweather should keep his word and face him next.

The only reason why Mayweather would change his mind about agreeing to face the winner of his poll would be if he had some misgivings about the interest from fans in watching him fight the winner. He’s an important contract with Showtime/CBS and he can’t afford to have his fights do poorly on PPV. That’s why Mayweather probably should have never said anything about letting the fans pick the winner in a poll. Those fans only represent a small portion of the millions of boxing fans in the United States. The poll had people voting from all around the world. Mayweather’s PPV buys will be coming from U.S fans.

Read more at Maidana’s manager to meet with Mayweather’s adviser to talk today about fight

Jul 24, 2005
Roach says Cotto will weigh around 155 for catch-weight fight against Martinez
February 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 24 Comments
64Share 1 86Share 11Tweet

Cotto Martinez Cotto vs. Martinez sergio martinez miguel cotto freddie roach By Dan Ambrose: Trainer Freddie Roach expects his fighter Miguel Cotto (38-4, 31 KO’s) to come in around 155 lbs for his June 7th catch-weight clash against WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (51-2-2, 28 KO’s) in New York. The fight negotiations are still underway at this time, but they’re reportedly close to having it completed.

Cotto and Martinez will be fighting at a catch-weight of 159 lbs rather than the full limit of 160 lbs for the division. One pound shouldn’t make that much of a difference for this fight, but it’s likely that Cotto’s camp felt that it would give them an edge because Sergio might come in a little drained from trying to make weight. There’s no word yet whether there will be a weight penalty for this fight, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is.
That would be a classic move having that as part of the contract. It should be enough that Martinez will lose his title on the scales if he fails to make weight without the need for a weight penalty.

“My guy [Cotto] is going to come in the ring about 154, 155, that’s his best fighting weight,” Roach said to the sweetscience. “Weight doesn’t win fights, boxing ability does. Sergio is actually a small guy himself, he’s always said he’s a welterweight.”

If weights don’t win fights then why does Roach’s fighter need a catch-weight for this fight? Is there some worry on Cotto’s part in fighting Sergio at the full weight for the division? The thing is Cotto is moving up to the middleweight division because he wants the opportunity to try and win a 4th division world title. He could have fought Saul “Canelo” Alvarez next and made a lot more money than he would for the Sergio fight, but he chose to take this fight so that he can win another division world title. But if Cotto needs to get a handicap to win another title, then it kind of cheapens the victory.

Could you imagine this being done in football or basketball in order to make it easier for a team to win? It’s bad enough that Cotto is picking out the oldest of the middleweight champions in Sergio Martinez instead of the guy who is considered to be the best champion in the division in Gennady Golovkin. Sergio hasn’t fought in the past 10 months and by the time he faces Cotto next June, he’ll have been out of the ring for 14 months due to injuries. With that much time off and with Sergio turning 39 on February 21st, why does Cotto need a catch-weight handicap for this fight?

Read more at Roach says Cotto will weigh around 155 for catch-weight fight against Martinez

Jul 24, 2005
Kostya Tszyu – Thunderstorm, or Drizzle?
February 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 22 Comments
37Share 3 50Share 6Tweet

kostya tszyu By Bradley Dee: Every once in a while in boxing comes a special figure, a brighter burning light, a talent with unique abilities, and one of those was Kostya Tszyu. Known aptly as “The Thunder from Down Under”, Kostya possessed incredible boxing ability, as well as vaunted power in both hands. For a sample of the talent of this man, check out his fight against Vernon Forrest in the amateurs from 1991. Tszyu defeated Forrest in the finals to win the light welterweight Gold.

Tearing through opponents became the norm until 1997 when Superman met his Kryptonite labeled as Vince Phillips. Phillips, very much in the fight and winning on one scorecard, TKOd Tszyu in round 10. Phillips hit Tszyu with a couple of huge right hands, hurting him over and over, then finishing him off with 3 or 4 unanswered right hands.
This was a never-avenged loss, which in my humble opinion, should have been taken care of before moving forward. What was the reason it wasn’t? At this point one can only speculate as to why, but Tszyu moved forward with what was to become a pretty amazing career, including the now famous Chicken Dance on Zab Judah. Things were great, until he tangled with Ricky Hatton in 2005 for a highly anticipated fight.

Ricky, in his prime, took the fight to Tszyu, made it physical, and made Tszyu quit. He did everything right, although some say in a very dirty fight. That was the end of Kostya Tszyu. He never fought again.

Although comeback rumors fly around all the time, nothing has materialized, and now at his current age, this is a good thing. Tszyu said in 2010 in an appearance on Long Lunch Today that he was not retired, and in fact, would come back if he could fight Mosley, Pacquiao, or Mayweather. Fortunately this has not happened, and he has remained “retired”. I feel at this advanced age, he could win against journeymen, but he could not beat any of the top welters or jr. welters. It might look like Hatton’s attempted comeback.

Maybe in 2005 he should have continued, and I would have even enjoyed a rematch with Hatton, or a fight with one of the other top names in the division at the time. Could Tszyu have continued winning? That is debatable, after quitting on his stool, some ring wars, and his advanced age, it was only matter of time before the thunder left Tszyu. It reminds me of the career of Naseem Hahmed who walked away from boxing shortly after losing to Marco Antonio Barerra, never officially retiring, and promising comebacks that never happened.

Despite never coming back, he has quite a few past fans that can still appreciate “The Thunder from Down Under” and his career, I being one of them.
Related:

Read more at Kostya Tszyu – Thunderstorm, or Drizzle?

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Rubio sucks man he hasn't been good since Pavlik knocked him silly.

But he's the #1 contender to Sergio Martinez because he sued the WBC and won (because Chavez jr was not drug tested after their fight which was supposed to be enforced by the WBC hence his victory in court).

I'd prefer Rubio over Andy Lee though.

Last edited:
May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
He's not bad I was too harsh by saying he sucks, he's a decent fighter for sure. I'm just a lil annoyed by his nine lives he keeps getting mandatory spots without doing much. Its an interesting position he's in since he's Sergios mandatory. On one hand he can wait until Sergio beats Cotto and enforce his mandatory spot, but Sergio would likely vacate the WBC title since he's only after big fights now, which would mean Rubio would get to fight for the vacant title against whoever the WBC has ranked #2, or he can try to take a fight against someone like GGG or Quillin but if he does that he loses his WBC mandatory position. Decisions decisions.

May 5, 2002
Kelly Pavlik puts down the bottle for a tuneup fight for GGG. He trains harder than ever, relapses but keeps up the training. Uses his height and jab to rock GGG to sleep with an over hand right in the 9th round. Ater the fight they find vodka in his water bottle but all is forgiven. He dies in a car crash right after the post fight press conference.

A man can dream can't he?

Feb 8, 2006
Mora has a style that would give GGG problems imo(way more than his recent opponents), they don't call him the snake for nothing. may be boring to watch but its effective, molina's style as well.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Molina should be DQd in half of his fights his greco roman wrestling is not legal and it's only effective when he has an incompetent ref that doesn't take points for excessive holding.

Mora is boring and Vera beat him twice who is a really crude come forward tough guy I don't see him doing a whole lot against the top MWs like Quillin and GGG.

Jul 24, 2005
AMIR KHAN ON FLOYD MAYWEATHER CLASH: "I'LL STILL FIGHT IN MAY...IF WE DON'T GET THE FIGHT, THEN WE JUST HAVE TO GO TO PLAN B"
By Ben Thompson | February 18, 2014

"I'll still fight in May regardless of whatever happens. Early May or end of April, I want to fight because I want to keep myself busy, you know. I've been at it for a long time, so I definitely have a date around that time, yeah. We're going to get a Plan B opponent, hopefully take that fight, and still work our way towards a Mayweather fight. Look, the aim and the goal is to fight Floyd Mayweather and to keep working towards that fight...If we don't get the fight, then we just have to go to Plan B really and we have to just kind of stay strong mentally. I mean, everything happens for a reason and maybe it's not the right time, so you just move on and then you just get a new opponent. Look, it's not going to faze me. I'm just going to have to carry on and do my thing really," stated former jr. welterweight champion Amir Khan, who had a lot to say about his future plans, with or without a potential showdown with undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd "Money" Mayweather. Check it out!

BT: Amir, at one time, it seemed like you were the frontrunner to land the May 3 fight with Floyd Mayweather, but now...

AK: (Cutting in) At one time, I thought I was 100% to get the fight. Then Maidana's name popped up, but I still thought, you know, Broner and Mayweather are close, so it won't happen.

BT: When did you start to have some concern that maybe you might not be getting the fight? Was it when Floyd announced that he was letting the fans vote between you and Maidana?

AK: Yeah, around that time. I mean, look, if you think about it, even though he's not announced the fight, he's still promoting the fight in two different parts of the world, with Maidana being on one side and me being on the other side of the world. He's getting coverage from different countries and different parts of the world all the time. The UK press is putting in the newspaper whatever little thing Floyd is saying about me, and whatever Floyd says about Maidana, that's in the press in Argentina. He's doing it the smart way where he's getting a lot of publicity from it even though he's not announced the fight.

BT: You've done a pretty thorough job of stating your case as to why you should be the one getting the fight. Other than the physical attributes that you mentioned, like speed, do you also consider yourself to be the better choice financially?

AK: Look, at the end of the day, styles make fights and I think Maidana brings the same style to the table that Mayweather's fought recently. I think Maidana's a less stronger and a slower version of Canelo. But I'm telling you, I really believe that if we get the fight with Floyd Mayweather, the numbers will be huge because there's a hidden market there that's not been touched yet. The Muslims, we can get them involved. One thing about religions is when there's a Muslim fighting, the other Muslims want to kind of say, "Who is this Muslim kid fighting? Let's follow him. Let's support him and let's get behind him." Then you'll get in the couple of millions. I don't know what the population of Muslims are in America, it must be big, but you'll get them behind you as well. You know, that's a market that's not been touched by boxing, you know what I mean?

BT: Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I don't necessarily know how that translates into pay-per-view buys.

AK: I'll tell you one thing, we'd take it to a different level if I get to fight Floyd Mayweather. I'd get the whole nation behind me. I mean, I know how to sell a fight; I know how to make a big fight. I mean, the biggest pay-per-view numbers in the UK is me. I've got a good, clean image. I'm a family man. I do a lot of charity work. I want to become the People's Champion. I want people to like me and support me. They might still think Floyd's a better fighter and think that he might beat me, but still, they're going to want to support me. I want new people getting involved in boxing. Like I said, there's so many hidden markets. Look, the Filipinos all know me; I was training there and living there for a little bit with Manny Pacquiao. Of course there's England. Then you've got the Pakistanis, the Muslims, the Indians. I mean, you know, there's a big market that has not been touched yet. That's what I bring to the table; I bring that part of the world which Floyd ain't touched at the moment.

This is opening big doors for him in the future, not only in America, but in places like Dubai and Pakiston, where people don't know him, but they will know him after he fights me. I mean, I can't walk the streets in them countries. You've got India, which has got 1.2 billion people, and India is a fast-growing country with a lot of money. That's going to make Floyd even bigger. Look, I don't want to make this fight big. I want to make it a huge fight, bro. I swear, I want to make it huge in a different way, man, where the world knows about this fight, you know what I mean? That's what I want to do to this fight. I don't want to make it a small fight and just get pay-per-view in America; I want to make it a global fight, and I know I can do that and I know Floyd can do that. Normally it's him who always sells the fight. If it's Maidana or Canelo or whoever, they just chill, but with me, I'll do even more work than Floyd to make this fight even bigger than it is.

BT: Have you heard anything recently about which way Floyd might be leaning with his pick?

AK: I spoke to Richard [Schaefer] and Richard was like, "We're still working on things." So I left it to my team really to negotiate and talk to all the people on his team. The thing is, I'm just focusing on my training. Instead of me getting frustrated and getting angry, I'm just gonna stick to training and keep working hard and just chill, really.

BT: If Mayweather does end up choosing Maidana, have you guys already started considering a Plan B? I'm sure you'd probably prefer to fight sooner rather than later.

AK: I'll still fight in May regardless of whatever happens. Early May or end of April, I want to fight because I want to keep myself busy, you know. I've been at it for a long time, so I definitely have a date around that time, yeah. We're going to get a Plan B opponent, hopefully take that fight, and still work our way towards a Mayweather fight. Look, the aim and the goal is to fight Floyd Mayweather and to keep working towards that fight. That's what we're hoping for. So if we can get that fight, you know, that's like the pinnacle of everything, really. I want to reach the best fight for me and I think the Floyd fight is the best fight for me. I'll be still working towards that one big fight. If we don't get the fight, then we just have to go to Plan B, really, and we have to just kind of stay strong mentally. I mean, everything happens for a reason and maybe it's not the right time, so you just move on and then you just get a new opponent. Look, it's not going to faze me. I'm just going to have to carry on and do my thing, really.

BT: You've been putting in a lot of work with Virgil Hunter. Would it alter things as far as training is concerned if you don't get the fight?

AK: We've been working on the mistakes that we've been making and, you know, it's only going to make me a stronger fighter and a better fighter, really. I can work on my mistakes and I'm going to be a better fighter instead of rushing into this one. If it's not my time now, then maybe in the future, it will be. I'll be a stronger fighter with more training with Virgil, and I'll be seasoned as a fighter as well.

BT: If you do end up having to go with a Plan B, would you be willing to fight on the May 3 card as the co-main event?

AK: At the end of the day, it's all about the numbers and if the numbers are big enough for me to do it; because look, I have my own TV dates. I have a contract with Showtime, so I can get TV dates straight away anyway with good money. But look, I know it will make sense by getting a big super-fight for me, but if it makes sense for me financially, then definitely. Look, boxing's a business, as we all know, so yeah, it has to make sense for me in a business way. We'll see what happens.