Are all races trying to claim Hop Hop??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2006
Obviously, in the beginning it was a culture and Art Form started by and made for Black people. But now I hear people running around yelling that Hip Hop is every one's art form/Culture and it doesn't belong to Blacks? Why wouldn't it belong to Black people when blacks created it and maintained it for over 30 years! Crazy. I mean, other people participate in it and contribute, but the real ones are the ones who come from the Black ghetto (Where rap was started). Just like If a black man were to move to China, he'd have to participate in Chinese culture. How do others feel about this, because It seems like everything Blacks create it gets tarnished and people don't credit us for it as if they forgot. WTF kind of shit is that? I'm not tryna make a racial issue out of it, but that shits erks me.

Y-S

Sicc OG
Dec 10, 2005
aka, you know it will be always, always known that blacks started it - and what's wrong with other races being hip-hop too? But let me ask you this, who supports rap/hip-hop also? For example, video producers......sound engineers, etc......and most of them are white.......so why hate.....

Jun 27, 2005
a.k.a said:
Obviously, in the beginning it was a culture and Art Form started by and made for Black people. But now I hear people running around yelling that Hip Hop is every one's art form/Culture and it doesn't belong to Blacks? Why wouldn't it belong to Black people when blacks created it and maintained it for over 30 years! Crazy. I mean, other people participate in it and contribute, but the real ones are the ones who come from the Black ghetto (Where rap was started). Just like If a black man were to move to China, he'd have to participate in Chinese culture. How do others feel about this, because It seems like everything Blacks create it gets tarnished and people don't credit us for it as if they forgot. WTF kind of shit is that? I'm not tryna make a racial issue out of it, but that shits erks me.
Couldnt agree more. Glad to see somebody else around here got some damn sense.

Jun 27, 2005
Y-Soulja said:
aka, who supports rap/hip-hop also? For example, video producers......sound engineers, etc......and most of them are white.......so why hate.....
Its not a hate issue. Its about outsiders trying to lay claims to the shit. You can enjoy the music, buy the merchandise, edit the videos, be a studio engineer but it dont make rap not black. I dont see no black folks tryin to lay claims to opera and country, and if they tried to say opera and country were black art forms they would be laughed at and brushed off as a "silly colored boy." So why should it be any different when a white or asian or mexican or whatever tries to act like its their people's art?

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

Hip hop has gone past the point of no return, it will never go back to how it was. There is way too much money in this now and too many big corporations invested in it. Hip hop has been raped 100 times worse than rock and roll ever was. I love this shit, ive grown up on it but i beleive money has changed it to the point where it is a joke now. The only thing hip hop has going for it is a tight underground scene...

Aug 7, 2002
i dont care...just check white people with the mainstream bullshit these days it's more whites...and more blacks are really into underground shit

Apr 5, 2003
OK, PICTURE THIS..
YOUR DREAM COMES TRUE..
ONLY BLACK PEOPLE PURCHASE AND PARTICIPATE IN THE HIP HOP CULTURE..
GUESS HOW FAR IT GOES...
NEVER MAKES IT OUT OF THE GHETTO...
I GET TIRED OF BLACK PEOPLE WHO TRY TO BRING THIS TOPIC UP..

a.k.a said:
It seems like everything Blacks create it gets tarnished and people don't credit us for it as if they forgot. WTF kind of shit is that?

I'M SORRY...DID YOU PERSONALLY HELP THE HIP HOP MOVEMENT WHEN IT WAS BEING CREATED, DID YOU INVENT POP LOCK OR PUT THE FIRST GRAFF PIECE ON THE WALL, DID YOU INVENT VERBAL PUNCHLINES?
THIS ARGUEMENT IS SIMILAR TO THE ONE WHERE BLACKS TRY TO THROW AMERICAS HISTORY OF SLAVERY IN THE MIX, AS IF THE WHITE PEOPLE OF TODAY HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE SLAVERY OF PAST...BUT STILL WE HEAR AN EARFULL ANYTIME SOME1 FEELS IT CAN BE USED AGAINST..
AMD LETS ANALIZE THAT A LITTLE DEEPER, THE MAIN REASON WE WERE ABLE TO EXTRACT BLACK PEOPLE FROM AFRICA IS BECAUSE THE HEAD TRIBESMEN WERE WILLING TO GIVE AWAY THEIR FELLOW MEN FOR A COST..
AND YOU AIN'T SEEN ONE CANOE COMIN BACK TO RESCUE ANY OF Y'ALL HAVE YOU..
WELL THIS IS SIMILAR TO THE HIP HOP CULTURE IN THE WAY THAT, YOUR ORIGINATORS DECIDED THEY WANTED FAME AND LUXURY, SURE IT COULDA STAYED IN THE GHETTO FOR ONLY YOU TO HEAR, BUT WHO WOULD GET PAYED FOR THAT?INSTEAD THEY ACCEPTED DEALS FROM THE "WHITE DEVIL" AS SOME ASSHOLE BLACKS WOULD SAY AND BIT THE BAIT, THEY EXPOSED THEIR CULTURE TO THE WORLD AND MADE IT AN OPEN CULTURE, WHICH I FEEL 100% THAT HIP HOP CULTURE SHOULD BE OPEN TO ANY RACE, BECAUSE ITS A MENTALITY AND A WAY OF LIFE. BUT THEY DID LET IT BE OPEN TO ALL, AND AS LUCK ( OR BAD LUCK TO THE GUY WHO STARTED THE POST ) WOULD HAVE IT THE PEOPLE WHO BECAME EXPOSED TO IT INCLUDING WHITES, BLACK, YELLOWS, ETC ENJOYED IT AND ACCEPTED IT..THIS FORM OF MUSIC NOW ALLOWS ANY1 TO EXPRESS THEIR FEELINGS THROUGH FLOWS AND PUT THEIR PAIN OR PLEASURE ON PAPER FOR THE WORLD TO RELATE TO, AND YOUR TELLIN ME THAT SHOULD BE LEFT EXCLISIVELY TO BLACKS?.. I MEAN IF YOU WANNA TAKE AWAY THINGS BLACKS CREATED AND KEEP IT FOR YOURSELVES IMAGINE HOW IT WOULD BE IF THE WHITES TOOK AWAY WHAT THEY INVENTED AND MADE IT ONLY FOR THEM TO USE, ALL YOUR SPORTS WOULD BE GONE, NO BASKETBALL FOOTBALL OR BASEBALL FOR ANY1 CEPT WHITES, NO TV, NO CARS..HOWS THAT SOUNDIN, SINCE YOU WANNA TAKE BACK WHAT YOU CREATED WHAT IF WHITES TOOK THEIRS BACK..I'M SURE IF THAT WAS THE CASE YOU'D BE BEGGIN US TO LISTEN TO YOUR RAPS..
JUST REMEMBER WITHOUT ANY OF THE OTHER RACES, YOUR RACE WOULD NOT HAVE HIP HOP AS A TOOL TO FLOURISH WITH..
SO HOW BOUT INSTEAD OF GIVIN US OTHER RACES SHIT, THANK US..
CUS WITHOUT EVERY1 RACE WHO PARTICIPATES HIP HOP WOULD NOT BE WHAT IT IS TODAY...

P.S.
TO A.K.A
I HOPE WHEN YOU DIE YOUR HELL ONLY PLAYS COUNTRY MUSIC AND SQUARE DANCING

Jul 25, 2003
www.brazzers.com
XxtraMannish said:
Its not a hate issue. Its about outsiders trying to lay claims to the shit. You can enjoy the music, buy the merchandise, edit the videos, be a studio engineer but it dont make rap not black. I dont see no black folks tryin to lay claims to opera and country, and if they tried to say opera and country were black art forms they would be laughed at and brushed off as a "silly colored boy." So why should it be any different when a white or asian or mexican or whatever tries to act like its their people's art?

no one from any other race is claiming hip hop but a few of you black kats on the siccness...not once in my life have i heard hip hop "belongs" to anyone but on here...you keep saying outsiders are trying to claim this shit but really you do not own anything except for the clothes on your back....you should be happy that the masses have welcomed the HIP HOP CULTURE and made it as big as it is...and you say its not a racial issue but all these undertones you kats are making do make it a racial issue.....hip hop crosses boundries and races...its for anyone who wants to express themselves who normally wouldnt be on your regular outlets to do so....so why say its only for blacks to do so or only for whites and so on?...thats closed minded

Dec 9, 2005
a.k.a said:
Obviously, in the beginning it was a culture and Art Form started by and made for Black people.

True. Blacks and Latinos sparked the movement of Hip Hop Culture.

a.k.a said:
But now I hear people running around yelling that Hip Hop is every one's art form/Culture and it doesn't belong to Blacks? Why wouldn't it belong to Black people when blacks created it and maintained it for over 30 years! Crazy. I mean, other people participate in it and contribute, but the real ones are the ones who come from the Black ghetto (Where rap was started).
To say that its been ONLY them MAINTAINING it for over 30 years is ridiculous. Do you know how many NON-BLACK hands have played a part in Hip Hop culture, in its 30+ years of existance ? Everyone understands its origins...but Hip Hop is UNIVERSAL whether you like it or not. Just ask Sway and Tech. Hip Hop is bigger than just one race.

a.k.a said:
Other people participate and contribute but the real ones are the ones who came from the Black ghetto
SMH @ this statement...

Some of the BEST EMCEE'S on the planet...are NOT from the Black ghetto or even Black for that matter...

Some of the BEST DJ'S/TURNTABLISTS on the planet...are NOT from the Black ghetto, or even Black for that matter...

Some of the best GRAF ARTISTS on the planet....are NOT from the Black ghetto, or even Black for that matter...

Some of the greatest B-Boys in the world...are not from the Black ghetto...or even black for that matter...

Are you implying that these peoples' contribution to Hip Hop culture are bogus, because they are not black, or from the black ghettos ?

a.k.a said:
Just like If a black man were to move to China, he'd have to participate in Chinese culture. How do others feel about this, because It seems like everything Blacks create it gets tarnished and people don't credit us for it as if they forgot. WTF kind of shit is that? I'm not tryna make a racial issue out of it, but that shits erks me.
Bad analogy...because some of us ( myself included ) were brought up knowing nothing else...but because I'm not black...does that mean that I am not a 'real participant' in the culture ? Am I 'tarnishing' Hip Hop because I am not black...?

I don't think ANYONE forgot where Hip Hop music came from...or who ignited the flame. And I don't think anyone is trying to steal the 'claim to fame' for it...but Hip Hop is a way of life...and for some of us...its all we know...does the color of my skin change that ?

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I'd really like to see you say that to Crazy Legs or anybody else in the rocksteady crew. I'd like you to say that to Lee and Lady Pink or other Graf artists. I'd like you to say that to the Invisbl Skratch Picklz or the Beat Junkies. Its racists dumbasses like you that think realize that black people are hip hop and white people are trying to take it. Most of the people I named aren't white, so what your saying shits on every other race IN HIP HOP because we are Hip Hop whether your uppity ass likes it or not. Yes, the first rappers were black, most rappers are still black. but most graf writers are white. most breakers are latin and asian. most djs are asian or white. when hip hop started, were you there with a magnifying glass making sure noone of any other race were allowed to be a part of it?

Shit is corny that its the 21st century and people are still acting like racist ass bitches.

Jun 27, 2005
eastbayrider510 said:
you say its not a racial issue but all these undertones you kats are making do make it a racial issue
I never said its not a racial issue. I said its not a hate issue, meaning that there is no hate directed towards anyone. Its just simple facts. Rap/hip hop is black the same way mariachi is mexican.

Jun 27, 2005
I dont think the issue here is wether or not other races could/should participate, buy the music wear the clothes, etc, its the fact of other races saying things like "Rap isnt black anymore, now its "ours."

Apr 5, 2003
I have a proposal..
moderators choose as you will..
but I say either this guy (a.k.a) or the next guy who brings up a topic and opinion like this should be banned..
because basically he insulted every race including some of his own I'm sure..
He purposely did this to start up tension because there could be no positive outcome from a remark like that, its not like all the races are gonna say "he's right, lets pack our bags and say our goodbyes to hip hop"..
and for the people who actually make contributions to hip hop he's basically spitting in their faces saying its not theirs to contribute to..
it seems all the races have united in saying "this guys a jackass", so lets get rid of him and move on with our multi cultural hip hop love..
(not to call any1 out but in the past I've been banned for much less insulting comments)

Apr 5, 2003
also I like all the points that everone else has brough up, theres no possible way this asshole can come back with any type of legit answer after the responses we gave him

xxxtra manish..
who the hell is out there sayin hip hop is "ours"
and if they are I doubt they mean it as in their race but ours as a whole, as in every damn body

Jun 27, 2005
I seriously doubt he made the thread to insult anyone. I think cuzzo has a legitemate concern that he would like to be addressed. I have the same thought runnin through my head from time to time, and it IS a RACIAL issue, but its NOT a RACIST issue.